Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Rising 3 (XB1) - November 2013

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Dead Rising 3 (XB1) - November 2013

After finishing Ryse, this one is up next in my queue. Not looking forward to the big ass update I assume I need to download. I only played a little bit of Dead Rising 2 since it was a Games with Gold freebie on 360, but never really got that in to it. Cautiously optimistic.
Old 01-13-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It is really hard to play this after Sunset Overdrive, which is much quicker paced and enjoyable to get around.
Old 01-14-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
After finishing Ryse, this one is up next in my queue. Not looking forward to the big ass update I assume I need to download. I only played a little bit of Dead Rising 2 since it was a Games with Gold freebie on 360, but never really got that in to it. Cautiously optimistic.
Most of the stuff about weapons and upgrades is more intuitive in DR3 by all accounts. I played a little of the first Dead Rising years ago and never got into it and I went from that to someone who played DR3 to 100% completion.

It is really hard to play this after Sunset Overdrive, which is much quicker paced and enjoyable to get around.
I haven't actually played it post-Sunset Overdrive so maybe it does seem all slow-paced but having played both I think I sincerely prefer DR3. They are definitely similar. Having played GTA V both before and after DR3 (and GTA V next-gen after SO) I don't think its that much of a downgrade. Its not like SO completely rewired my expectation of open-world games.
Old 01-19-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm enjoying the game a lot more after taking some time to get in to it. I find myself not bothering with 90% of the weapons though, and killing hordes of zombies just isn't as fun as I expected it to be. Compared to Sunset Overdrive, finding collectibles (and blue prints) is much more of a chore, as is just getting from area to area.
Old 01-19-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

as is just getting from area to area.
You'll really hate the finalé. I really, really, really loved DR3, and it's one of the few open world games I'm eager to play again from start to finish, but having to race against the clock across basically every square inch of the map in the final mission was miserable.

I picked up the first two DR games but lost interest really quickly. Couldn't put DR3 down.
Old 01-19-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also have hated two sequences of the game, both the "boss" fight with the motorcycle guy and just now this weird doctor guy while hallucinating.
Old 01-29-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished this last night. My enjoyment of the game is probably like a bell curve, where it started off a little slow at the beginning, got really fun and interesting as I unlocked more weapons, combos, and skills, and then slowed down as the game really turned in to just repeated fetch quests forcing you to go around to the different areas for the side quests. The psycho missions did just enough to break that monotony at least. By the end, I ended up annoyed travelling and having to navigate around/through all the hordes of zombies and it wasn't as fun trying to cut my way through as it was in the middle of the game.

Overall it was fairly enjoyable though, and pretty good for a launch game. Up next... maybe Watch Dogs.
Old 03-17-15, 01:13 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am well into this now, and I am having a blast, but I just can't stand the time ticking away as I play. I have read I should have plenty of time to get collectibles and side missions but it just does not seem like it....

They really need to remove that in any future game.
Old 03-17-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am well into this now, and I am having a blast, but I just can't stand the time ticking away as I play. I have read I should have plenty of time to get collectibles and side missions but it just does not seem like it....

They really need to remove that in any future game.
Time really isnt a factor in this game, you have plenty of time to do pretty much everything story wise. Games like this you need to play through a bunch of times, 1st play through I would have skipped the story as much as possible, and just upgraded weapons/vehicles/build your skills.

If you want to see what a real time crisis looks like, play the 1st deadrising. It was brutal, and into that the only way to save was in the restrooms, it was a very changing game.