Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Candy Crush Saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: Candy Crush Saga - Keep playing by watching their video ads

Originally Posted by kathy0209
I've been playing for a few months now. I'm on level 323. I've been playing, even when my lives are up because if you keep hitting the x button, it takes you to a video advertisemet you can watch for a free life. Well, yesterday that stopped working and today I was able to watch a few advertisements, then -- nothing -- won't bring any more up. Anyone else been doing this? and is it still working for you?
If you are playing on your phone then sent the time three hours ahead. You will get your lives back. However, if you are playing on your computer you can't change the time. I don't bother with ads for lives. Did it once and wasted my time.
Old 06-28-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Candy Crush Saga

I'm totally addicted to it. I try to keep caught up to the end of what levels are available, but currently stuck on 410 and see the next set of levels are released. Eventually it does get a bit frustrating - a lot of the higher levels can only be completed if you get extremely lucky in getting lots of special candy combos. I've probably spent like 100 tries on some of the levels before passing them. I still find it fun and addicting though.
I've never spent any money on the game. You get free boosters occasionally, I only ever use them if it's an exceptionally hard level and using one in the last couple moves will mean I get past it. 361 is my least favorite level in the game, I ended up using like 4 of the swap any 2 candy specials to get past that after waaaay too many failed attempts. 410 is pissing me off too though, heh.
Old 06-28-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

level 76 without spending a dollar - never spammed for lives or to advance
Old 06-28-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
level 76 without spending a dollar - never spammed for lives or to advance
I felt dirty after spamming people the first time. They're tricky in having a list of friends that can help you get tickets but some don't even have the game. So i just spend $1 to pass on to the next episode. It was from a gift card my sister got me for X-mas so technically I'm not spending anything yet
Old 12-18-13, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I've been playing this the last few months, I'm up to level 310.

They added a Daily Booster Wheel at the end of November, it lets you spin once a day for a free booster. It needs an internet connection in order to validate your spin, so no cheating by moving your clock ahead a day to get more spins.
http://candycrush-cheats.com/booster-wheel/

They also just added another area called Dreamworld. It unlocks after level 50 and is an alternate board with an additional mechanic where you're trying to keep an owl on a perch in addition to clearing candy.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/17/ki...dy-crush-saga/
Old 12-18-13, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

My wife still plays this. She finally spent a buck on a extra set of moves and hasn't bought anything else.

I can't believe they make like a million bucks a day on this overrated game
Old 12-18-13, 07:34 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i made it all the way up to level 33 before I got stuck and pissed and quit
Old 12-18-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
i made it all the way up to level 33 before I got stuck and pissed and quit
Damn! You've got to try again.
Old 12-18-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Just hit level 125 today... I hate myself for playing this game!
Old 12-18-13, 08:26 AM
wlj

This thread "crushes" my self esteem. Seriously some of you guys are in the hundreds level wise. I am such a dumbass evidently.
Old 12-18-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am currently on level 347. Not been playing for a few weeks, but will get back to it over Christmas. Have not spent a single penny on this game....and never will.
Old 12-18-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I am on level 350, and I have also not spent a dime. I also don't know why I keep playing it.
Old 12-18-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cleared level 500 a couple moths ago - which is the last level it goes up to. They typicall released a new set of levels every couple weeks, but it's just been sitting at 500 for a while. They did introduce that dreamworld section though to keep it going.
A few of the higher levels were so unfair it's ridiculous and really sapped the fun out of the game. That didn't deter me from wasting way too much time to get past them. Maybe if that free spin for a booster wheel was around back then, it might have been a bit easier.
Old 12-18-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I know the booster wheel has helped me a few times. Those free lollipops come in handy.
Old 12-18-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Agreed... and those bombs / regenerating chocolate squares can suck it!
Old 12-18-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
I am currently on level 347. Not been playing for a few weeks, but will get back to it over Christmas. Have not spent a single penny on this game....and never will.
I'm curious to your sentiment. If you've gotten to level 347 you must clearly enjoy the game, so would it be such a bad thing to throw a few bucks their way? Or is this a challenge thing for you, and you want to see how far you can go without paying for any power ups or anything?

I'm just curious because I find it very interesting how vehemently many people who play free to play games are about not spending a cent -- not that you're proclaiming your desire to spend no money on the game from the mountaintops.
Old 12-18-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Personally I'd rather throw a couple bucks at them for the game and get free upgrades after every level or so. I understand and appreciate their business model and the only reason I don't pay is because I want the challenge. That said, I wish the game had an end point as games without endings drive me nuts.
Old 12-18-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm down at level 120 or something, haven't spent any money. I've been stuck on some levels, and it started pissing me off at times. Then I realized that there's a fair amount of luck involved, so I would just plug away at the level until I passed. The booster wheel that was recently added makes things a bit more fun.
Old 12-18-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm curious to your sentiment. If you've gotten to level 347 you must clearly enjoy the game, so would it be such a bad thing to throw a few bucks their way?
Personally, it's because I feel that their pay options are all exploitative. If, for example, they let you pay once to do away with having to wait for more lives, I'd consider it. Instead, they charge $0.99 every time you want 5 more lives instead of waiting for them to regenerate at 1 life every 30 minutes. Also, charging for boosters or extra turns in a round amount to "pay-to-win" tactics. Add to that the fact that certain levels have a design and number of turns set that seem to make the level near impossible to win except either by random luck or using boosters/extra turns. Adding the free booster wheel evened the playing field somewhat, but not completely.

The game has the feeling of trying to make gameplay annoying enough that some people will pay to skip the annoyances, instead of making a fun experience for all players, and hoping some people show their appreciation by buying something in the game.

Originally Posted by Rob V
That said, I wish the game had an end point as games without endings drive me nuts.
The game only goes up to level 500 (currently). So there is an end point.

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I've been stuck on some levels, and it started pissing me off at times. Then I realized that there's a fair amount of luck involved, so I would just plug away at the level until I passed.
One trick not yet mentioned in this thread that helps with the gameplay is called "rolling," where before making a move you exit out of a level and reload it to try and get a better board at the beginning. This link has more info on this technique:
http://www.withoutthesarcasm.com/rol...dy-crush-saga/
Old 12-19-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I'm curious to your sentiment. If you've gotten to level 347 you must clearly enjoy the game, so would it be such a bad thing to throw a few bucks their way? Or is this a challenge thing for you, and you want to see how far you can go without paying for any power ups or anything?

I'm just curious because I find it very interesting how vehemently many people who play free to play games are about not spending a cent -- not that you're proclaiming your desire to spend no money on the game from the mountaintops.
Well it seems to me that the only things you have to pay for are in game powerups or coins to progress past levels easier. Why would i pay for something like that? If a game is challenging then i accept that challenge and completing a difficult level becomes more satisfying. What is the point of a game if you can simply pay to pass levels? I appreciate the game and that its fun, and if the company makes a lot of money from people who give in easily....then thats cool as well. I simply will not be one of them.
Old 12-19-13, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just noticed this morning that they released new levels! Up to 515 now.
Old 12-19-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeraden
Just noticed this morning that they released new levels! Up to 515 now.
Old 12-19-13, 07:39 AM
wlj

i have found a mobile game that I am extremely addicted to, I got Clash of Clans last week and I have played the heck out of it. Anyone play?
Old 12-19-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Wrong thread, hippy! Get that nonsense out of here.
Old 12-20-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by ka11ima
Just unlink your account to FB. I linked my account once and promptly unlinked it when I found out I had to spam friends for lives and tickets. You can progress just fine albeit with more patience. Once you get to the"crossroads" you just have to beat three levels to proceed. The bad thing is that you have to wait 24hours before playing the next level. So it will take you a minimum of three days to beat the "station" and proceed to the next stage.
I mentioned a while ago in this thread that I got stuck at the part where you have to spam three Facebook friends. Sure there's a workaround but it basically killed my interest in the game. Not that it matters much, thinkgaming estimates daily sales at over $900,000, and that's only for the US on ios. That's every single day. The company that makes the game doesn't release official numbers or anything, but if that estimate is even close, holy cow.
http://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-dat...dy-crush-saga/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.