Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Awesome addition for Meta Quest 3 owners who have GPU subscription :
Old 12-13-23, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Just had my regular eye exam last Friday, and for the first time I'm using the new prescription information for some custom lenses from Zenni. Looks really easy to install and remove (if I ever wanted to let someone else use my Quest). $50 (with free shipping) seems like a fair price.
My Zenni custom lenses came in today. Super easy to put on and take off. Really a game changer for comfort
Old 12-14-23, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

^I bought custom lenses for my Q2 a few months ago and, yeah, it's a much better and easier experience than wearing the headset over glasses. If I upgrade to a Q3 at some point, I will not hesitate to get custom lenses for it, too.

I bought a couple of games in recent sales, including Walkabout Mini Golf and Pistol Whip, but haven't had a chance to play them yet. I have two weeks off work through the holidays, though, so I'll have time for some fun.

I'd really like to get Skyrim VR, but that $60 price tag is kinda steep. Maybe a Christmas gift for myself, though.
Old 12-14-23, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

^ Both Walkabout Mini Golf and Pistol whip are great!
Old 12-14-23, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is the Aubika strap from Amazon. Very comfy, need to test the charging. Note that the wide strap doesn't come with it, I transferred it from my Quest 1.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CKYX43LB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CKYX43LB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Old 12-15-23, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I played a bit of Lego Bricktales and it's a good relaxing time. You're basically this kid helping his grandfather repare a bunch of stuff that's broken on successive Lego builds. Finish one, hop to the next one. It would be nice to have a free build mode, not sure if that's coming or not.

And it's mixed reality!

Old 12-17-23, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I'm bringing my Quest 3 for my niece to play with over the holidays. She'd been asking my brother about getting one, although he's not convinced it'll be something she gets bored with quickly. Little does she know, getting to use mine is a bit of a test (to see if one of her own might be a birthday gift next spring).

Anyway, is there an easy way to set up a "kids" account (one that won't have access to my credit card or mature-rated games)? I explored Meta's instructions and it doesn't seem as straight-forward as it would be on a PS5 for example. If I'm understanding right, every user has to have a Meta account (which she doesn't ... she's too young for that). It says that you can also add her as "family" under my own account ... but that seems like a bit much for just a week visit (plus if she'd be listed with anyone as family it would be my brother).

Am I missing something, or it what I said what the options are?
Old 12-17-23, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I tried setting up Airlink to see how Asgard's Wrath plays (the first one). My modem isn't particularly new (5 GHz), but there isn't any bandwidth competition, the PC that was running the game is internet wired, and I was playing in the same room as the modem. Aside from a seconds hiccup it seemed to play really well. Now Asgard's Wrath 2 will probably disappoint me since the graphics looked so spectacular compared to what I used to on the Quest.

Are there any other "must play" PCVR games without a Quest version? I've heard Half-Life: Alyx highly recommended. Any others?
Old 12-18-23, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Oh, I tried setting up Airlink to see how Asgard's Wrath plays (the first one). My modem isn't particularly new (5 GHz), but there isn't any bandwidth competition, the PC that was running the game is internet wired, and I was playing in the same room as the modem. Aside from a seconds hiccup it seemed to play really well. Now Asgard's Wrath 2 will probably disappoint me since the graphics looked so spectacular compared to what I used to on the Quest.

Are there any other "must play" PCVR games without a Quest version? I've heard Half-Life: Alyx highly recommended. Any others?
Half Life: Alyx is a must have.

I love Talos Principle, Arizona Sunshine (I think they are on the Quest already though). Star Wars Squadrons is great if you are into Star Wars space combat, I won't play in non-VR mode, lots of fun. Fallout 4 and Skyrim too

Just tried Steam Link, not perfect, but works fairly well. Some games would not launch.

I'm pretty much out of space after installing Asgard's Wrath 2 (Quest 2 64GB)
The following users liked this post:
brainee (12-18-23)
Old 12-18-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Alyx is insane, also be sure to poke your head into Google Earth if you never have.
Old 12-18-23, 10:42 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I used HONS VR. I read a few threads on reddit about VR lens inserts and they were one of the companies that seemed to get mostly favorable comments. You'll need your prescription handy so you can enter the numbers when you order. Mine shipped from China and got here in one week with standard shipping. Installation was fairly easy.
Originally Posted by uteotw
I did as well. Totally reasonable price and they work great. The only thing I had to do was glue the lenses into the frame things because they kept popping out. Other than that they're awesome and totally worth it.
I ordered mine today for my Quest 2, can't wait!
Old 12-19-23, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meta has a sale currently. Nostalgia trip, I bought Myst VR.

Also "Ocean Rift" now has a mixed reality mode. So you can have a huge aquarium in your living room. Game is cheap too about $10.
Old 12-21-23, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
^ Both Walkabout Mini Golf and Pistol whip are great!
I've played a few rounds of Mini Golf now and it's a lot of fun. The designs of some of the courses are really creative. I wasn't expecting it to be such a chill experience because golf--even mini golf--can be a frustrating game. But the landscapes are tranquil, the music is soothing, and since I'm playing alone there's no rush on anything. I find it very relaxing. Except I'm a little OCD about finding the lost ball on each course.
eXcentris (12-29-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Is anyone playing Asgard's Wrath 2? All I'm seeing is amazing praise for it. It's super annoying to me knowing that there's an amazing RPG out there that I can't try because of my motion sickness. Would love to hear some opinions/detail about it.
Old 12-22-23, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is anyone playing Asgard's Wrath 2? All I'm seeing is amazing praise for it. It's super annoying to me knowing that there's an amazing RPG out there that I can't try because of my motion sickness. Would love to hear some opinions/detail about it.
it’s good reminds me of God of War, but yeah motion sickness is pretty bad. There’s a tunnel mode that helps, but no teleporting like other VR games
Old 12-22-23, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
but no teleporting like other VR games
Thanks for the heads up on that, I won’t ever bother downloading this one then.
Old 12-29-23, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also "Ocean Rift" now has a mixed reality mode. So you can have a huge aquarium in your living room. Game is cheap too about $10.
You can have your entire ceiling be a skylight so it seems like you are underwater. Someone on FB had a shark break through the glass and "fall on her". She was scared shitless, nobody knew this could happen.
Old 12-29-23, 07:33 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I ordered mine today for my Quest 2, can't wait!
My Meta Quest 2 prescription lenses arrived today, that's just 11 days including the day I ordered, impressive.

I put them in and WOW, it's a whole new world. Incredible! This will be a game changer.
Old 12-31-23, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

I just bought a PSVR2-exclusive game called Dark Pictures Switchback. It’s a rail shooter and it’s really, really cool. I was always a fan of those rides in Disneyland like Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania, and this has some aspects of that, but with a Zombie theme and plenty of good jump scares. As you ride on the rails in a rollercoaster-type car, you’ll go fast in parts, slow in others, you have to move your head so you don’t get hit. You can pick up health by shooting marked containers as you whiz by. You reload by shaking your guns, or tapping the magazine in on your thighs. It’s all really cool and immersive and I can see it having plenty of replay value for me — seeking higher scores and changing the direction of your cars at certain switchback locations. It’s normally $40, which is admittedly pretty pricey, but now it’s 40% off at $25.99 and well with that price, I’d think.
I avoided the game at first because the reviews were pretty mediocre with a 64 score on Metacritic and a 6 from IGN. But a lot of the criticism directed at the game was about its blurry visuals and annoying pop-in. A major patch in July has apparently fixed those issues and I have to say it looks pretty amazing now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
alfredog1976 (01-02-24), Ginwen (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you guys aren't playing Arizona Sunshine 2, you are missing out!

Asgard's Wrath 2 is sensational...I've been playing it more ever since I took some Reddit advice and have a fan pointed at me while I play to help with the motion sickness...it's actually helped me
Old 01-05-24, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More MR goodness, imagine having that as a kid!

Old 01-05-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, there's something called UEVR mod, which basically can turn any game developed in Unreal Engine 4 or 5 into a VR game!

Old 01-05-24, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Micro Machines is tempting, that could be really neat to play around with in MR.
Old 01-06-24, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, there's something called UEVR mod, which basically can turn any game developed in Unreal Engine 4 or 5 into a VR game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFxvIg0GBA
Just tried this with Robocop last night...effin amazing!

eXcentris (01-18-24)
Old 01-11-24, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone have ForeVR Pool?
Going to buy it but wanted to use one of your discount codes if so before I go use some random one from a review.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.