Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Originally Posted by story
Of course, I got my Oculus Quest in June just before the announcement, but it's fine.

Where do you get prescription lenses? Are they easily removable for others to use the headset? I use my Quest as a workout device, any idea if prescription lenses are covered under an HSA as medical equipment if it's for health improvement?
I got mine here:

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/ocul...-lens-inserts/

But there are a few different choices. They are a little expensive, but it's nice not having to worry about scratching the Quest or my glasses - and the extra comfort of not having glasses under the headset. I think mine ended up being close to $200 shipped, but my prescription is pretty bad.

No idea about the insurance question - I didn't even think about that. They install very easily, though. The main concern would really just be keeping them free of fingerprints from putting them in and taking them out.
Old 10-15-20, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Got my Q2 today and while I've only set it up and started d/l games, I gotta say my FAVORITE feature is that the sound is inherent to the system and no more pita ear buds!
Old 11-10-20, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

I spent the last few weeks playing through my PSVR backlog and knocked out another 10 or so titles. So total I've played through 20 PSVR games and I figured I'd rank them for anyone who was looking for something new to play.

1. Astro Bot Rescue Mission (This is the standout PSVR game for me. Not only a great VR game one of my favorite platformers of this generation.)
2. Moss (Fantastic puzzle game with a great world and characters.)
3. Déraciné (I have zero interest in Souls games so this is the only FromSoftware game I've ever played. It's a first person adventure game with a very earnest story and dialogue which can be goofy at times but still charming.)
4. Red Matter (First person story driven puzzle game which sucked me in good)
5. The Room VR: A Dark Matter (for anyone who played any of those The Room games on mobile you know they're quite fun and here they made one specifically for VR and it has just the right amount of challenge and is a perfect fit for VR. Also a great hint system.)
6. Arca's Path (pretty much Super Monkey Ball in VR where you don't use any controllers and all the movement is done by tilting your head. Sounds difficult but works like a charm once you get the hang of it after a few levels.)
7. Ghost Giant (Fun game where you maneuver dioramas and small little towns to solve puzzles. Great looking game with a tearjerker of a story.)
8. Torn (Another first person story driven puzzle game which was a little rough around the edges but had a pretty weird plot that kept me intrigued.)
9. Trover Saves the Universe (Created by Justin Roiland this is a story driven comedy game which your enthusiasm for will depend on your opinion of Rick & Morty since it's very similar to that in tone. It's available on other systems without VR but I thought it added enough where I would recommend playing it in VR)
10. Along Together (similar style of game to Moss with slightly more difficult puzzles but not quite Moss's level of charm)
11. The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets (fairly basic game where you interact with miniature worlds solving easy puzzles trying to rescue stolen pets. Nothing mind blowing but a fun couple of hours.)
12. Falcon Age (First person action game where you have a Falcon that you send out to kill beasts and monsters. The first 15 minutes of story made me think the plot was going to be far more interesting than it ended up being but you do get attached to your falcon and it wraps up nicely.)
13. Batman: Arkham VR (The only PSVR game I played that was unplayable sitting down which ruined my enjoyment since there was nothing about it which necessitated it being standing only. It's the most tech-demo like of any game I played and is over quickly.)
14. The American Dream (a satirical shooting gallery which had some funny moments but way overstays its welcome.)
15. Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin (I only played a few hours of the original Psychonauts so I don't have an attachment to the franchise but the gameplay in this is pretty uninteresting as are the characters so only recommended if you love Psychonauts.)
16. Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series (Each episode in this is only about 45 minutes long (and only 3 total episodes) and it still put me too sleep multiple times. A pretty lackluster Star Wars story which is only made tolerable by an ok Maya Rudolph performance as your droid partner.)
17. Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot (a waste of the Wolfenstein license and a bad mech game)
18. Rise of Insanity (A really low budget horror game which looks like shit and has a nonsense story but jumpscares in VR no matter how shitty they look still get your heartbeat racing.)
19. Transference (I disliked everything about this game but besides that out of all the games I played in VR this is the only one that I could only play for like 10 minutes before wanting to throw up. I ended up playing the second half of it out of VR and it was still a bad game.)
20. Blood and Truth (the only game I didn't finish. Seemed fine with a D level Guy Ritchie plot and characters but even on easy I got stuck a few levels in and after dying 20 times in a row where no matter how I messed with the camera I could never get my guns to aim in a way which felt good. I wasn't having enough fun to push through further.)
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (11-12-20)
Old 11-11-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That's too bad about Vader Immortal I was looking at that, I picked up Blood and Truth a while back, but haven't tried it yet. I do plan on picking up SW Squadrons on BF for $17, and I found a clearance copy of Everybody's Golf PSVR the other day.
Old 11-11-20, 03:09 PM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Is there much coming up for Oculus game sales, do you think? Do they usually do anything for Black Friday? I've had enough fun games to keep me occupied but I wouldn't mind a price break on a Vader Immortal 3-episode bundle or Beat Saber.
Old 11-11-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

It seems like they almost always discount bundles, but individual games is more rare.
Old 11-12-20, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

They had been doing a deal of the day on individual titles, but ended that right around when the Quest 2 dropped.
Old 11-20-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge is up today. $25.. I've read positive things and plan to get it.
Old 11-20-20, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought the quest 2 as well. I ordered prescription lenses from VR WAVE it cost $115. Not sure how many of you have a gaming pc but you can use the quest to play steam vr games using the link cable or wireless if you have 5Ghz wifi. Reason I mention this is because I wanted to buy the Saints and sinners walking dead vr game but I couldn't bring myself to pay 39.99 and I was also looking at the creed game and again, didn't want to spend too much money. Here's where having a VR capable pc comes in. Humble Bundle Fall VR sale:
The games included are:
1. Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners
2. Zero Caliber
3. I expect you to Die
4. Creed: Rise to glory
5. Raw Data
6. A-tech Cybernetic
7. Archangel: Hellfire - Fully Loaded
8. Killing Floor Incursion

I got all those for under $20! My pc has a 2060 and an I7 9th but the minimum requirements are a GTX 970 and an I5 4 gen.

There are tons of videos of how to run steam games on your quest and I believe it just came out of beta with the most recent update so it is supported. I was hooked once I saw that you could play Star Wars Squadrons on the quest! Although the graphics for the quest direct games are great, running steam vr from a powerful pc makes it look even crisper. And with the recent update, you can increase the quest from 72mhz to 90 mhz.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/f...n=tile_index_1

Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

If you bought a Quest 2 before November 20th, they're including you in the free copy of Asgard's Wrath for PC (requires Oculus Link to play, generic USB C cables may work, I'm not sure if the Virtual Desktop wireless streaming will work to claim it though).

You just have to submit a ticket and provide a PDF of the sales receipt, they'll reply back and ask for the Serial and your Username and credit the game to your account.

Old 11-24-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

40% off sale coming for Black Friday and Cyber Monday at the Quest store.

Old 11-25-20, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a couple Quest 2s for my son and step-son for christmas. Is there a way I can buy stuff during the upcoming sales or am I out of luck because they're account specific?
Old 11-25-20, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Keith6601
I just picked up a couple Quest 2s for my son and step-son for christmas. Is there a way I can buy stuff during the upcoming sales or am I out of luck because they're account specific?
I believe the ability to gift was added last xmas:
https://www.androidcentral.com/can-you-gift-vr-games-oculus-quest-store
Old 11-25-20, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I believe the ability to gift was added last xmas:
https://www.androidcentral.com/can-y...us-quest-store
Thanks! Now to buy all the games I want and send to my son
Old 11-29-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Use OCULUS30 for 30% off any Quest title, even the new Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge.

Edit: might be targeted and certainly only usuable once per account.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 11-29-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-29-20, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

My Valve Index arrived today. I tried out Alyx. All I can say is... WOW !
I haven’t felt “WOW” since Mario 64.
It’s game changing. Worth every penny.
Old 11-30-20, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are new games up for sale for Cyber Monday at the Oculus store.
Old 11-30-20, 08:09 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Use OCULUS30 for 30% off any Quest title, even the new Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge.

Edit: might be targeted and certainly only usuable once per account.
Awesome, except where do I enter the code before purchase? Believe it or not, I've been waiting on Beat Saber and $21 is a good price point, to me.

I'm frustrated that I picked up Eleven Table Tennis on sale Saturday for $16 and now it's bundled with other games for only $21.85. Think it's worth trying to return it and then get the bundle pack instead? I didn't actually install the game so far.
Old 11-30-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
Awesome, except where do I enter the code before purchase? Believe it or not, I've been waiting on Beat Saber and $21 is a good price point, to me.

I'm frustrated that I picked up Eleven Table Tennis on sale Saturday for $16 and now it's bundled with other games for only $21.85. Think it's worth trying to return it and then get the bundle pack instead? I didn't actually install the game so far.
Via Web Browser it's at checkout:

The 30% code didn't work for me.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-30-20 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

30% didn't work for me either
Old 12-05-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife asked me today if we should get the Oculus Q2 or PSVR for our boys (9 and 11) for Xmas. Hot damn - don't have to ask me twice! That's my green light to jump into VR for the "kids". We have a PS4 Pro and do not have a PC (only Chromebooks and Macs). I'm leaning towards the Q2 because 1) wireless, 2) better gfx/pixels per eye, and 3) it seems to track better in limited play space (which we have). However, please convince me otherwise. Anyone regret getting the Q2 over the PSVR or glad that they did? Any rumblings that Sony will upgrade the VR for the PS5?

Thank you
Old 12-06-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually gave my PSVR away when I got my Rift (now I have a Quest 2). I think the PSVR has some of the best VR titles and the gamepad implementation is second to none but it is really dated (poor motion controls, screen resolution, space requirements and clunky headset) by today's standards

So my vote is Quest 2, but it does have some of its own limitations.
Old 12-09-20, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Asgards Wrath is a resource beast at 90 hz haha
Old 12-10-20, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Bought a Quest 2 over the weekend, primarily so the kids and their friends could play VR without tying up my PC. So far it’s been just great.

My biggest complaint is no Google Earth on Quest! If that app were available, I’d sell my Rift in a heartbeat. That’s the only VR app I personally go back to on any regular basis.
Old 12-10-20, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper
Bought a Quest 2 over the weekend, primarily so the kids and their friends could play VR without tying up my PC. So far it’s been just great.

My biggest complaint is no Google Earth on Quest! If that app were available, I’d sell my Rift in a heartbeat. That’s the only VR app I personally go back to on any regular basis.
You can get a compatible 10' USB C cable for maybe $15 so you can plug your Quest 2 into your PC and use Earth on it. (Alternatively, you can spend $75 and buy the official 15' cable if youre so inclined but it isn't really necessary for Google Earth) bonus perk: it's only 1 cable and I think you get Asgard's Wrath when you plug it in the first time.

Or if you're handy you can buy the Virtual Desktop app, sideload its official mod using Sidequest, and stream Google Earth wireless (this is generally how I play Alyx, and it's surprisingly lag free).

Last edited by RichC2; 12-10-20 at 08:38 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.