Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm -- 3/12/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm -- 3/12/13

My God no thread on this? Incredible.

I just got back from the Irvine launch event. Froze my ass off because I forgot to wear a jacket. I could have gotten my box autographed but after 5 hours there I just wanted to go home.

They had a few pro players there to have PvP matches. Those guys are just on another level. Some sick playing.

So far I've only done one mission, as I'm beat. But it looks like Tricia Helfer had a ton more work to do with this one. It looks like they took inspiration from 7 of 9 with kerrigan, in that she's been cut off from her previous... whatever and returned to human form.

I can't be the only one playing it, am I?
Old 03-12-13, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm -- 3/12/13

The lag and disconnects wasn't my fault
Old 03-12-13, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Did you work on the game, fumanstan?

I still haven't played SC 2. Might need to look into it someday.
Old 03-12-13, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

I just can't work up much enthusiasm for getting this game, after playing Wings of Liberty for like a month and then never touching it again.
Old 03-12-13, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll pick it up when it's on sale. I only care about the single player.
Old 03-12-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

impatiently waiting to get off work to pickup my CE...
Old 03-12-13, 08:01 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got Wings of Liberty a week ago. It is my first real time strategy game and I am overwhelmed. i just got through the tutorial and then I played the first couple of missions. The first was fine because you just run around and shoot stuff, however the next mission (i think) you finally start building stuff. I then realized I had forgotten everything in the tutorial. So I cut it off and went back to Diablo 3.

I will give it another go this week probably.
Old 03-12-13, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by wlj
I just got Wings of Liberty a week ago. It is my first real time strategy game and I am overwhelmed. i just got through the tutorial and then I played the first couple of missions. The first was fine because you just run around and shoot stuff, however the next mission (i think) you finally start building stuff. I then realized I had forgotten everything in the tutorial. So I cut it off and went back to Diablo 3.

I will give it another go this week probably.
I haven't played in awhile so the names I am using might be wrong... This is a pretty basic build order for campaign. This strategy will not work online.

You start off with the command center and build scv's to help you get supplies and build buildings. I typically get ~10 scvs asap and have them get minerals (whatever the money is called). You have to build supply depots as you go along so you can keep increasing your population. Build them before you hit your population cap so you're not waiting around to build troops.

As soon as you have enough money for it, build a barracks and start pumping out marines. You should also build a few bunkers to defend your base. You have to manually fill the bunkers with troops.

You will also need to build a refinery and get 3 more scv's to get gas from it. For campaign you can pretty much just amass a large army and zerg everything.
Old 03-12-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, its hard to get excited about this. For me, it really seemed like the original SC was very easy to pick up and play with randoms. But I really felt like the community of WoL was high on the douche side. I might pick it up at the $20.00 mark to due the campaign but that’s it.
Old 03-12-13, 03:49 PM

I tried installing HoS off the disc and the disc stopped spinning at 6.8% and a minute or so passed before it started downloading crap from the internet... I guess if you already have the first game installed it doesn't install everything else off the disc?
Old 03-12-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Yeah, its hard to get excited about this. For me, it really seemed like the original SC was very easy to pick up and play with randoms. But I really felt like the community of WoL was high on the douche side. I might pick it up at the $20.00 mark to due the campaign but that’s it.
My favorite part of the original SC was all the random game types you can play. I loved getting in a group of five-to-seven strangers and playing tower defense-esque maps and what not in addition to the custom BIG MONEY HUNTERS (or whatever the fuck they were called) maps and the like.

I can't do the SC2 multiplayer because I get my ass handed to me mere minutes into the game.

I have a $20 credit to use on Amazon, but I haven't decided to use it on HotS or use it on something else. I still have three games going untouched that I need to play.
Old 03-12-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I don't play that much multiplayer nor am I that good, but I never had a lot of douches in the matches i've played. I'd actually say for the most part nobody says a word. No where near as bad as games like Dota or League of Legends anyway.
Old 03-13-13, 07:26 AM

Did the first game tell you how many workers you had mining and getting gas? I noticed that HoS does but I don't recall that being there before. That's actually pretty helpful as I remember having to select the workers just to see how many I had already made...
Old 03-14-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just restarted my WoL campaign on my Mac. I WoL when it first came out but never finished even though I like the genre. I have some paypal credit so I may go ahead and pick up HoS. I just play single player though. I tried MP a few times and had my ass handed to me. No fun at all.
Old 03-14-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Did the first game tell you how many workers you had mining and getting gas? I noticed that HoS does but I don't recall that being there before. That's actually pretty helpful as I remember having to select the workers just to see how many I had already made...
I think it was added in the patch right before HotS came out.
Old 03-18-13, 08:02 AM

The entire army select and idle worker hot keys are great too.

Edit: I beat the campaign last night and it was pretty fun. I still need to go back and get all the misc achievements I missed though. Now I just have to wait ~3 years for the third expansion.

Last edited by Krayzie; 03-19-13 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Finally picked this up when it was on Newegg for $28.

I replayed Wings of Liberty first and had a blast doing it.

Also having fun playing this one. Forgot how much I enjoy this universe.
Old 05-03-13, 04:42 PM

I never play the single player for these games, MP only for me. Heart of the Swarm has been infuriating. Wings of Liberty was frustrating, but I feel I at least stood a chance against most players, and would win/lose about 50/50 (although despite many, many hours of play time, I was still in bronze league). I don't know if only the hardcore players remain or what, but I think I've won 5 of 50 matches so far in HotS. It's just brutal!

And is it just me, or are the mutas way OP now? They rip me apart with ease. They are pretty early units, don't cost much, have a devastating spread attack in numbers that can hit ground or air, and they are insanely fast such they can avoid any of the few units capable of destroying them in number, which are late game units for other races (thors, carriers, etc.). If a swarm of them comes after you early, how do you stop it? They can just keep moving around and coming back to you and you'll never catch up.

I get so pissed when I play this game now, it isn't even fun. Like someone else said, most games are over in minutes because people can't resist the rush. It's just not fun.

Also, I hate esports. I spent $40 on HotS, and there is barely any new MP content. I know DVDTalkers are more into single player games than most, but SC is a multiplayer game first and foremost, and I feel like the esports cred didn't allow them to tinker with the game enough. There are barely any new units, and most strategies are the same. If anything, they've made it easier to do annoying WoL strategies like mass marines (faster medvacs), and the the above mentioned mutas.

Cool maps though.