Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

*** The One & Only GTA : San Andreas Reviews & Impressions Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts
GTA : San Andreas Reviews & Impressions Thread

Since some (VERY) lucky folks are going to get this game as early as tomorrow, I thought we should have a seperate thread from the screenshot one. I still haven't seen any official reviews, but they must be coming soon. Those who get the game early, please post here and make the rest of us jealous. When the first reviews come in, hopefully someone can post links here as well.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Gamespot shoudl be selling it, tomorrow...
Old 10-24-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah gamespot and eb will be selling it after 7, if you preordered it. i shall let you guys know how it is
Old 10-24-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts
Got mine preordered at TRU. They told me Wed by noon, but the Sunday insert said Thurs. Oh well, it's this week anyways.
Old 10-24-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I pre-ordered for EB in store pickup. I heard they said as early as noon tomorrow. I can't wait.
Old 10-24-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered via FYE.com for $30 so I guess I wont get mine till the end of the week. Just as well I suppose since I have my MBA midterms this Monday and Tuesday anyway. Enjoy you lucky fools!
Old 10-25-04, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be picking it up as soon as we get it delivered.

We shall see.
Old 10-25-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No reviews online yet?? Weird.
Old 10-25-04, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by The Franchise
I just looked as well and was surprised that nothing has materialized yet. I'm sure tonight everyone will have their reviews up though.

I'm dying to pick this up already! I hope TRU has it in stock Tuesday. The one in Times Square should have a decent game selection despite the Buy 2 get 1 free deal (they have in the past and I've gone as late as Saturday).
Old 10-25-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just called my EB and they said 7pm for me tonight. Guy said he expects a line out the door.
Old 10-25-04, 11:44 AM

I paid off my reserve at Gamestop so I should be able to just go pick it up after work today. Does anyone know if they are doing that VIP thing with GTA that they are doing with Halo 2 where if you pay in full before the release date they pre-ring it up so you dont have to wait in line.
Old 10-25-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine is already paid for, unfortunately I have to wait in line anyway to show ID, credit card used, etc.

Of course I ordered from EB, so that doesn't really answer your question
Old 10-25-04, 02:58 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I will be picking my copy up in 2 hours, cant wait
Old 10-25-04, 03:03 PM

Since this thread has been sidetracked for the moment...

From GTA Gaming:

http://www.gtagaming.com/

Take Two Confirms San Andreas Shipment
posted by Neil @ 10:25 AM CDT | GTA: San Andreas - General News | Comments: 34

Take 2 Interactive today confirmed that San Andreas has shipped to North American stores, by issuing a press release. While we reported yesterday on the possibility of gamers picking up the game one day early, the official release date still stands as Tuesday, October 26th.

-------------------------

Clarification of Release Dates
posted by Neil @ 06:35 PM CDT | GTA: San Andreas - General News | Comments: 264

Over the past few days, we've recieved many, many feedback submissions about the game's release date. Mainly, they've comprised of things like "my local store is selling it at 7pm on Monday". Today, we can finally lay these rumours to rest and provide everyone with clarification of the game's release dates.

It should first be noted that the official release date still stands as Tuesday, October 26th. However, two of the United States' biggest games retailers, Gamestop and Electronics Boutique (EBGames) have decided they're going to throw away the rulebook and sell it one day early, starting late on Monday evening, to those who have preordered a copy. We're not yet sure if this is going to be the case nationwide, but from the automated calls people have been receiving from both retailers, it's clear that it's going to be on a very great scale. So, our advice is that if you've not yet preordered, get over to the website of either Gamestop or EBGames and choose the instore pickup option. Then, call the store and enquire as to when they'll be selling it; you'll probably be pleasantly surprised

The reasoning behind this is simple, but treads on some shady legal ground. Both retailers are signed up to binding non-disclosure agreements, meaning they aren't supposed to sell the game before October 26. Cunningly, the stores will sell the game shortly before they close on Monday evening, meaning that nobody can enquire about their stock levels before the game's release. If anyone of great importance were to ask about their stock the later, they can simply claim they sold it first thing on Tuesday morning, the day of the game's official release.

Unfortunately, Europeans like myself are going to have to wait until this Friday to lay hands on the game. It is somewhat strange, considering a huge proportion of the game's development is done right here in sunny Scotland.
I'm still yet to see a firm release date for Australia, but it's looking likely that it'll be the same as Europe's.

Look for final reviews of the game from IGN and Gamespot tomorrow. With one perfect score from Official Playstation Magazine already, how close to the perfect 10 can San Andreas come?

And finally, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Grand Theft Auto is on sale Tuesday for Game Boy Advance. It's been somewhat overshadowed by the coverage given to San Andreas, but if you're looking for a great handheld title, this would be well worth the $29.99 stores are set to sell it for. Rated M, it's not going to shy away from the controversy the other titles in the series have succeeded in causing. Check out the screenshots!

-----------------------------

And then there is this last bit:

GTA TV Tuesday
posted by rappo @ 11:33 PM CDT | GTAGaming.com - Community News | Comments: 49

To celebrate the release of GTA: San Andreas, G4TechTV has dedicated Tuesday, October 26th to the wonderful series of Grand Theft Auto! G4TechTV will play 20 hours of non-stop GTA programs from the classics all the way to San Andreas. Although most PS2-owners in America that are anxious to play San Andreas probably won't be tuning in to watch it, this is a great way for others to get ready for their countries' release of the game! The commercial that advertises GTA TV claims that there will be 20 hours of turf wars, ho's, and lowriders... oh boy! So be sure to tune in... or set your TiVo!

To see all of the features on GTA TV, check out G4TechTV's GTA TV Home Page. Or, if you would like to see the actual program schedule, including the times of each show, visit the G4TechTV GTA TV Schedule Page.

Keep in mind that this channel may not be available to everyone. To receive this channel in other countries besides the United States (and maybe even various parts of the US), you probably need a satellite dish. However, for me, in Los Angeles (where the G4TechTV headquarters is located), it is on cable.
Old 10-25-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

San Andreas is going sell how much in one week??!!

Between this and Halo2 some industry execs are going to buying Bentleys this winter!

ps. I know this isn't a review or impression.... sorry!
Old 10-25-04, 04:05 PM

this game is gangsta! thanks to my uncle owning a games-4-less store, i've been playing for about four hours. the stats said i'm 6% done. there's lots to do...some of the missions are fairly easy, others have been hard. i can hit the gym to workout and get stronger. so far i've even gotten a low-rider with hydrualics, and one of the mission is like DDR, you're in a low-rider hoppin competition and you press the corresponding direction when it passes. you can even customize your low-rider. just driving that car, cruising slowly, bumping "nuthin' but a g thang" or ice cube's "good day" and hitting the switches...now that's tight.

voice acting very good. lots of cursing and the n-word is used quite often. some funny lines. the eazy-e character is funny. "watch the road, n---a! the road!!"

framerates seems to be a little choppy when there's tons of action on screen. load time is acceptable, the big load time is when you start the game.

overall, awesome game. will comment more later. you can rob houses too when you get the van, i havent tried it yet but i beat the mission to get that van. it says you can now rob houses at night when you're not doing any missions.

Last edited by duy37; 10-25-04 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-25-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn you duy37, makes me want to play even more

I still have to wait almost 5 hours, hehe.
Old 10-25-04, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by The Franchise

Remember Tomb Raiders: Angel of Darkness?
Old 10-25-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Maryang Palad
Remember Tomb Raiders: Angel of Darkness?
Remember all the crappy Tomb Raider games before Angel of Darkness?

GTA is both a critical and popular favorite, which will hopefully continue it's good streak. Angel of Darkness was a desperate attempt at a comeback!
Old 10-25-04, 06:23 PM

IGN gave it a 9.9!!

from ign.com

"October 25, 2004 - I'm not going to beat around the bush. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the single best PlayStation 2 title I have ever played. It's larger than the biggest RPG, has more story than the heftiest adventure game, and has almost as many mini-games as Nintendo's Mario Party. Additionally, it has a production value that's second to none, boasts a faithfulness to '90s source material with an eerie accuracy, and provides more hours of entertainment than all the previous Grand Theft Autos combined. In short, it's a terrific unending masterpiece of a game -- and one that will never fall victim to an over-exaggeration of its lofty status. It's the defining piece of software for Sony's successful sophomore system, and it's almost impossible to imagine a PlayStation 2 library without it.
Old 10-25-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SomeVoices
IGN gave it a 9.9!!

from ign.com

"October 25, 2004 - I'm not going to beat around the bush. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the single best PlayStation 2 title I have ever played. It's larger than the biggest RPG, has more story than the heftiest adventure game, and has almost as many mini-games as Nintendo's Mario Party. Additionally, it has a production value that's second to none, boasts a faithfulness to '90s source material with an eerie accuracy, and provides more hours of entertainment than all the previous Grand Theft Autos combined. In short, it's a terrific unending masterpiece of a game -- and one that will never fall victim to an over-exaggeration of its lofty status. It's the defining piece of software for Sony's successful sophomore system, and it's almost impossible to imagine a PlayStation 2 library without it.
Dammit!!! The anticipation has given me a boner.
Old 10-25-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not that I don't think this game will rock, but remember, IGN gave DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball a 9.2

Gamespot rated GTA:SA a 9.6
Old 10-25-04, 06:53 PM

EB in my area (The Woodlands, TX) is selling to non-preorder customers - I just picked mine up and am about to try it out.
Old 10-25-04, 06:54 PM
Banned

Best gamespot score this year yet, oh and Xbox ign is very biased, same cant be said about Ps2 ign.
Old 10-25-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully I will be playing this game tomorrow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.