Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Your top 5 games all-time? (any console or PC)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Your top 5 games all-time? (any console or PC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 733 Posts
Re: Your top 5 games all-time? (any console or PC)

Final Fantasy IV
Zelda: LttP
Street Fighter II
Morrowind (completely changed my idea of what a game could be)
Suikoden 1 & 2 (impossible to pick one or the other)
Old 11-08-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 455 Likes on 319 Posts

(chronological order)

Super Mario Bros. (arcade/NES/SNES)
Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
Half-Life 2 (PC)
Old 11-08-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal Gear Solid 2
World of Warcraft
Tetris
NFL Blitz
WWF No Mercy
Old 11-08-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Flashback (Sega CD/Genesis/SNES)
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Fallout 2
The Beast Within (Yes, the FMV Gabriel Knight game)
Old 11-08-12, 11:33 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Symphony of the Night is on lots of people's lists. I have tried SO HARD to like this game but I just don't. I got it on the XBLA and it just bores me. Maybe if I would have played it back in the 90s. Please don't take this as me bashing the game, I am not doing that at all. It is just one of those games that everyone loves but me.
Old 11-08-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not everybody loves every game, I find Elder Scrolls games (tried each since Daggerfall came out (which, btw is now a free download here)) to be tremendously boring wastes of time, but that hasn't stopped millions of people from playing it hundreds of hours. Same goes for most open world games.
Old 11-08-12, 11:36 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looking through all the games...only a few of you are actually cool...the rest have no taste in games...

Old 11-08-12, 11:39 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by foxdvd
looking through all the games...only a few of you are actually cool...the rest have no taste in games...

how bout my list??
Old 11-08-12, 11:57 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by wlj
how bout my list??
good list..especially Dark Souls..

Makes me wonder though...there seems to be a lot of 30-40 year old gamers that hold classic games to heart, and always elevate them above all other games made the last 10 years. Memories of that game and how important it was to them when they played it are as important as the actual quality of the game.

When my kids started getting old enough I started them out on older games. The idea was for them to fall in love with the classics. It just did not seem to stick with them like it did with me. If we go 100 years into the future and put the first Mario game up against Mario Galaxy, which will be judged better? Say you up the graphics of that first NES Mario, but keep the game the same, which is the better game? Like falling in love with a woman, is my view of older games clouded?

I still think some late 80's RPG games are better than 90% of the stuff that comes out today, but I have not played those games in 25 years...

I will say, my oldest daughter is in love with the early Final Fantasy games and Chrono Cross...some games are just good, no matter how you view them. Hell half my list above is new games and half is older games (though I notice none of them are THAT old)

The thing is...my best friend and I played the shit out of Skate or Die in high school...we spent so many hours plaything that...laughing...eating Doritos and drinking kool-aid...I can still remember the enjoyment and happiness that game brought me. In one sense that might be the most fun I have ever had playing a game, so maybe I need to put that as my favorite game of all time? But I know it really is not that good of a game..lol

Last edited by foxdvd; 11-08-12 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-12, 12:07 PM
wlj

Makes me wonder though...there seems to be a lot of 30-40 year old gamers that hold classic games to heart, and always elevate them above all other games made the last 10 years. Memories of that game and how important it was to them when they played it are as important as the actual quality of the game.

When my kids started getting old enough I started them out on older games. The idea was for them to fall in love with the classics. It just did not seem to stick with them like it did with me. If we go 100 years into the future and put the first Mario game up against Mario Galaxy, which will be judge better? Say you up the graphics of that first NES Mario, but keep the game the same, which is the better game? Like falling in love with a woman, is my view of older games clouded?

I still think some late 80's RPG games are better than 90% of the stuff that comes out today, but I have not played those games in 25 years...

I will say, my oldest daughter is in love with the early Final Fantasy games and Chrono Cross...some games are just good, no matter how you view them. Hell half my list above is new games and half is older games (though I notice none of them are THAT old)

The thing is...my best friend and I played the shit out of Skate or Die in high school...we spent so many hours plaything that...laughing...eating Doritos and drinking kool-aid...I can still remember the enjoyment and happiness that game brought me. In one sense that might be the most fun I have ever had playing a game, so maybe I need to put that as my favorite game of all time? But I know it really is not that good of a game..lol

awesome! i love being cool

I remember Skate or Die really well. I had alot of good times with it. Did it come out before 720? i remember that game was supposed to be the ultimate skateboarding game back in the day.
Old 11-08-12, 12:15 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by wlj
awesome! i love being cool

I remember Skate or Die really well. I had alot of good times with it. Did it come out before 720? i remember that game was supposed to be the ultimate skateboarding game back in the day.
we played it on my Commodore 64...there was a NES version that came out a bit after that...1988 or so..
Old 11-08-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I remember skate or die on the commodore. Pool joust was awesome.
Old 11-08-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3
Suikoden 5
Shining Force 2
Old 11-08-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

When my kids started getting old enough I started them out on older games. The idea was for them to fall in love with the classics. It just did not seem to stick with them like it did with me. If we go 100 years into the future and put the first Mario game up against Mario Galaxy, which will be judged better? Say you up the graphics of that first NES Mario, but keep the game the same, which is the better game? Like falling in love with a woman, is my view of older games clouded?

being limited to five games is really hard. I could name tons of memorable games that were my favorites for a variety of reasons. I tried to list games that changed my gaming habits, whether they raised the bar for my expectations or just because I put tons of time into them.

have to agree about some of those late NES era RPG's I loved lots of them. Crytalis, Dragon Warrior (3 and 4) Star Tropics
Old 11-08-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts

Doesn't the fact that we're only a week or so out from yet another (4th?) New Super Mario game done in a retro style refute your point? You're confusing graphics for gameplay. Classics like Mario, Metroid, Zelda or arcade stuff like Ms. Pac-Man will never die because of the core gameplay. Super Mario Bros. will absolutely stand taller than Mario Galaxy 100 years from now.

Also take Baseball Stars, which superdeluxe posted(or Tecmo Bowl, which hasn't). Neither game is impressive graphically or mechanically. They are held in such high regard because at their core, they were F-U-N, fun. They got the basic game down and were just a blast to play. Once sports games started becoming hyper realistic, fun went right out the fucking window. Sure they can be fun to the diehard sports fan, but they all lost that pick up and play ability.

I put Ms. Pac-Man on my list because it's simply fun(and a challenge). It's not nostalgia at all. I can(and will) still drop quarters into this game whenever I see a machine.
Old 11-08-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it's really hard to narrow it down to 5 series let alone 5 games. Off the top of my head:
Halo
Bioshock
Resident Evil
Mortal Kombat 2
COD4:MW
Old 11-08-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Also take Baseball Stars, which superdeluxe posted(or Tecmo Bowl, which hasn't). Neither game is impressive graphically or mechanically. They are held in such high regard because at their core, they were F-U-N, fun. They got the basic game down and were just a blast to play. Once sports games started becoming hyper realistic, fun went right out the fucking window. Sure they can be fun to the diehard sports fan, but they all lost that pick up and play ability.
Could not possibly agree more.
Old 11-08-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a mix for me -

I had Flashback on my list because it was a challenging and fairly unique game - an extended Out of this World wannabe that in many ways exceeded the original. Lunar because it was the epitome of old school RPG era (again imo). Castlevania:SOTN I feel mixed the play mechanics of many games past (Metroid, Castlevania, Master Blaster) and perfected it, even Metroid Prime while excellent didn't do it quite as well. Fallout 2 took quality play mechanics and the awesome atmosphere of Fallout 1. And the Beast Within has one of my favorite game stories.

I feel those titles still hold up for what they are, though I will admit had I not played them when I did I would probably not hold them in the same high regard.
Old 11-08-12, 12:51 PM
gamer for life

You're confusing graphics for gameplay.

if you can make such a generalized statement about what I said then I can say you are confusing nostalgia for gameplay...my point was if you equal out the graphics and then judge them.

At no point did I or have I ever confused graphics for gameplay. I enjoy many classic games that look like garbage.
Old 11-08-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

In no particular order:

Super Metroid
Super Mario World
Rock Band
Skyrim (or Fallout 3)
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Old 11-08-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. FF VII – PS1
2. Goldeneye – Nintendo 64
3. Mortal Kombat - Arcade
4. Mario Kart – Nintendo 64
5. Shining Force - Sega Genesis
Old 11-08-12, 02:19 PM
Banned

I put Ms. Pac-Man on my list because it's simply fun(and a challenge). It's not nostalgia at all. I can(and will) still drop quarters into this game whenever I see a machine.
Its not nostalgia for me either. I just flat out enjoy older games more than the current 360/PS3 era. All the games on my list I have replayed this year, so its not just rose-colored nostalgia of a game I haven't actually played in years and years.

>90% of my gaming time is spent playing older games. I very rarely play any modern games at all. In fact, I haven't played a single game released in 2012. I am pretty sure Arkham City and Deus Ex 3 were the only two games from 2011 I played. I just have very very little interest in the modern gaming industry.

Heck, Civ IV is on my list, and it is every bit as addicting to me today as it was when I it first came out. I still occasionally will take a Saturday or Sunday and just sit down and play that game for 12+ hours straight.
Old 11-08-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3
Suikoden 5
Shining Force 2
I like the way you think! You even knew enough to leave out 4...well done.
Old 11-08-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 933 Likes on 658 Posts

my point was if you equal out the graphics and then judge them.

So, if you make SMB as pretty as a modern title(i.e. NSMB) but keep the core gameplay the same then is that not a graphics argument? If the game plays the exact same, then what? I'm clearly not following your argument.

Another good example is ExciteBike on the Wii Store. Same exact game as it was 25 years ago, just prettier. The core game is identical and just as fun to play.

if you can make such a generalized statement about what I said then I can say you are confusing nostalgia for gameplay.
How so? Point was some classic games are just as fun today as they were 25 years ago. You can claim nostalgia plays a role, but then you can point to the 600+ other 8-bit games that didn't hold up. Why no rose tinted nostalgia love for those games?
Old 11-08-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't the fact that we're only a week or so out from yet another (4th?) New Super Mario game done in a retro style refute your point? You're confusing graphics for gameplay. Classics like Mario, Metroid, Zelda or arcade stuff like Ms. Pac-Man will never die because of the core gameplay. Super Mario Bros. will absolutely stand taller than Mario Galaxy 100 years from now.

I agree with this too. I guess it's possible that I'm just putting too much emphasis on nostalgia and maybe I just enjoyed video games more when I was younger, but older video games were just so much more fun.

Also, maybe it goes back to what I was saying in the Most Wanted thread, but maybe just because I'm no frickin good at video games anymore is part of why I like the older stuff better. I put Punch Out as one of my favorite games...I've tried playing the Fight Night games and they're realistic and cool, but nowhere near as fun as the original Punch Out. Hell, even Punch Out on the Wii isn't as fun. Yeah, it's essentially the same game, but with better graphics, but it just isn't as fun to me. I often consider going out and finding an NES and old tube tv and hooking them up just so I can play Punch Out.

And old school RPG's were more fun for me too. I'd take Dragon Warrior over Elder Scrolls any day of the week. Modern RPG's are just a chore to play and I've already talked about how modern racing games aren't fun for me anymore either. Most Wanted is super cool looking and realistic, but I'll take Mario Kart over it any day of the week. Oh and baseball games...again the modern baseball games have great graphics and realistic gameplay, but can't hold a candle to games like Baseball Stars or RBI Baseball in terms of FUN. If I try to play a modern baseball video game, I'm ready to quit in about the 4th inning, which is about how far I can make it actually watching a real baseball game too, so in that case it's HYPER realistic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.