Reload this Page >

Home Arcades: Let's see your setups

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-13-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my first pinball machine over the weekend and now will be going down the path of creating my home arcade. Surely others here have pinball/arcade machines. Post some pics, let's see 'em.

I'll start. Got this 1964 Williams pinball table for $100 on Craigslist. Gonna be fun to restore, although it actually doesn't need much in terms of mechanical work. Just cabinet restoration.

Old 08-13-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Home Arcades: Let's see your setups

I had a garage full of acade games and a pinball machine, but ended up getting rid of them all since i got bored of playing the games and wanted the space back
Old 08-13-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I had a couple. I've been eyeing this Captain America vs the Avengers at my local antique mall for a while now, but they want $1100 (and I would need it delivered too). If I was really looking at the ones I wanted most, I would have to get a Gain Ground one as well one of the Dungeons & Dragons ones and possibly a Combatribes. Yeah, needless to say those will not come cheap.

Edit: and I agree with the sentiment that the space would kill me. Gain Ground has a good port to Genesis (or 360 if you have the compliation disc), Combatribes has a reasonable SNES port and the Dungeons & Dragons despite their priceness on the Saturn import circuit are probably still worth it over the idea of space.

Last edited by Kedrix; 08-13-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to have a Gilligans Island pinball machine and a Street Fighter II Turbo arcade cabinet. But the novelty wore off quickly and I just wanted the space back so off to Craigslist they went.
Old 08-13-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home Arcades: Let's see your setups in bed

Nice machine! Very jealous. I always wanted to own the Pinball Wizard and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I heard pinball machines need a lot of maintenance. Is that true?
Old 08-13-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a pinball machine emulator built into an actual pinball cabinet with a flat screen tv so it gives the illusion of a real pinball machine. It has over 100 pinball games. Got it used for $2,000. Still have lots of fun with it. What I wanna do next is get an arcade cab empty and put a tv, 360, a hori arcade controller and put my 360 arcade games on it.
Old 08-13-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I have a pretty sweet MAME setup complete with coin slot, giant side-panel vinyl stickers and back-lit marquee at the top. I built the computer and bought the cabinet and controller. It allows 4-players and has a trackball and spinner for Tempest.
Whenever people come over their amazed at what it is, but I never touch the thing unless we have a party

The pinball made from an LCD tv always intrigued me.
Old 08-13-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
But the novelty wore off quickly and I just wanted the space back so off to Craigslist they went.
I have a Darkstalkers machine and I concur that the novelty wears off quickly. I definitely regret getting it.
Old 08-13-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I don't need a full arcade, I only have eyes for one:

Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga 20th Anniversary cocktail table. Unfortunately it goes for about $2500. Just a tad outta my price range.
Old 08-13-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I built a MAME cabinet back in 2003 and even after spending the last six years in a garage it still works great. Now that I have a dedicated basement game room it gets a lot more use but it's in dire need of a paint job and some new glass.
Old 08-14-12, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I have a pinball machine emulator built into an actual pinball cabinet with a flat screen tv so it gives the illusion of a real pinball machine. It has over 100 pinball games. Got it used for $2,000. Still have lots of fun with it. What I wanna do next is get an arcade cab empty and put a tv, 360, a hori arcade controller and put my 360 arcade games on it.
I read about this, do you have any pics of it? I'd love to see what it really looks like in action. I'm considering getting into a pinball machine when I move and have a game room.
Old 08-14-12, 11:16 AM

My basement is a shared home theater and gameroom. I don't have any current pics handy, but it's filled with 15 pinball machines (see list below), a cheap/dirty bartop MAME set-up, a 1952 Rockola jukebox, a 1960 United EM shuffle alley puck bowler, a 1976 Americoin Junkyard EM crane game, a bartop Merit Megatouch Jade 2 touchscreen, an Arachnid dart board, a cheap pool table, boccerball table, and of course the home theater with every era Nintendo console and PS3 (with full driving set-up) ready to play. It keeps me out of trouble and with plenty of things to tinker with!

The pins: 1961 Gottlieb Aloha, 1974 Gottlieb Sky Jump, 1977 Stern Stingray, 1978 Stern Memory Lane, 1980 Williams Blackout, 1980 Williams Black Knight, 1986 Williams High Speed, 1986 Williams Pinbot, 1990 Williams Whirlwind, 1993 Data East Jurassic Park, 1993 Williams Star Trek:TNG, 1993 Bally Judge Dredd, 1994 Williams Demolition Man, 1997 Bally Cirqus Voltaire, 2008 Stern CSI.
Old 08-14-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by neilo13
I read about this, do you have any pics of it? I'd love to see what it really looks like in action. I'm considering getting into a pinball machine when I move and have a game room.
Here's some videos i put on youtube:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8IGl41LapSQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BOAJdsflNRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 08-31-12, 08:31 PM

thanks for the videos mhg83. I had read about these but never saw a live on. where did you find it and how many games are on it?
Old 08-31-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've seen these before, but I've always been curious how it is that pinball table roms even exist? It's not like there's a pre-existing program in the cabinet like regular arcade games, right?
Old 08-31-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I've seen these before, but I've always been curious how it is that pinball table roms even exist? It's not like there's a pre-existing program in the cabinet like regular arcade games, right?
There is a rom, but it needs artwork and a front end to display everything. People have to take photos of everything, record sound effects, and then setup the actual table. Basically what the Pinball Arcade guys do themselves.
Old 08-31-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Back when I was doing this sort of thing, it was run on 2 pieces, PinMAME and Visual Pinball.

PinMAME ran the actual rom from the machine to control the dot-matrix lights and sounds and stuff.
Visual Pinball is a pinball construction program, that people used to recreate the actual pinball playing field and everything.