Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Angry Birds HD: Flocking Soon to a Console Near You

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Birds HD: Flocking Soon to a Console Near You

I wasn't sure if this deserved its own thread, but since it sounds like it's coming to both consoles and it is one of the most popular games of all time, I didn't want to bury it elsewhere either.

E3 Exclusive: Activision Confirms Angry Birds HD on Consoles
Activision has shown multiple big titles this year, including Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Skylanders: Giants and, of course, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. but the news sleuths of the Escapist just stumbled upon another, much more secretive reveal nested between some unrelated promotional videos on its gigantic public booth screen. Somewhere between an ad for Call of Duty and some footage of The Amazing Spiderman we caught sight of an eerily familiar, tiny red bird soaring kamikaze-style into the Activision logo's giant "A."

Angry Birds? Activision? We quickly cornered the nearest company spokesperson on the thoroughly unexpected avian invasion.

"We'll have some news for you in about two weeks," Activision said. "Wait until you see Angry Birds on consoles in HD."

Despite the clever tease inserted into its E3 demo reel, Activision has made no other official announcement regarding the game's imminent migration to core consoles. We'll be reporting on currently unannounced details, such as level-themes, missile-types, and other relevant bird-demolition information when Activision is ready for a full reveal later this month.
Old 06-07-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Angry Birds HD: Flocking Soon to a Console Near You

Ugh.
Old 06-07-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's the most popular in the world because you can pick it up and play for a few minutes while waiting for your appointments. This is NOT made to be a console game. This needs to stay as a pick up and play for 5 minutes game which console games are not.
Old 06-07-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
It's the most popular in the world because you can pick it up and play for a few minutes while waiting for your appointments. This is NOT made to be a console game. This needs to stay as a pick up and play for 5 minutes game which console games are not.
Look, I'm not going to buy it, but you're seriously short-selling its appeal. As many of you know, I'm a pediatrician. For four years now, I've been buying children's stickers to give away and have been giving them away to patients for many years before that -- over a decade now. Angry Birds is the most popular sticker series I have ever seen. More popular than Spider-Man, more popular than Disney Princesses. Preferred over Spongebob, Iron Man, Elmo, Thomas The Tank Engine, Transformers or Phineas and Ferb. Popular with boys and girls, Preschoolers and Teenagers. Somehow, they found a product that has really connected with kids of almost every age, spanning demographics that I've never seen span before. It's on almost everybody's smart phone, which means that from the first time a parent decides his child is old enough to play with his phone when he gets bored, that kid has played Angry Birds.

I think it's the most over-rated, over-saturated and over-exposed gaming product since Pac Man, maybe ever. I don't really get the appeal, but I know it well enough to say if I had a chance to invest in this venture I would -- it will probably be very popular and successful, even if I personally have zero interest in the HD console version of the game.
Old 06-08-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Look, I'm not going to buy it, but you're seriously short-selling its appeal. As many of you know, I'm a pediatrician. For four years now, I've been buying children's stickers to give away and have been giving them away to patients for many years before that -- over a decade now. Angry Birds is the most popular sticker series I have ever seen. More popular than Spider-Man, more popular than Disney Princesses. Preferred over Spongebob, Iron Man, Elmo, Thomas The Tank Engine, Transformers or Phineas and Ferb. Popular with boys and girls, Preschoolers and Teenagers. Somehow, they found a product that has really connected with kids of almost every age, spanning demographics that I've never seen span before. It's on almost everybody's smart phone, which means that from the first time a parent decides his child is old enough to play with his phone when he gets bored, that kid has played Angry Birds.

I think it's the most over-rated, over-saturated and over-exposed gaming product since Pac Man, maybe ever. I don't really get the appeal, but I know it well enough to say if I had a chance to invest in this venture I would -- it will probably be very popular and successful, even if I personally have zero interest in the HD console version of the game.

They're cute characters, that's it. Yes, the game is fun, but it's not something I'm going to sit in front of the tv for an hour playing. It is a fun little time waster. I don't think this is going to do as well as they hope on consoles honestly. It would be like putting Batman arkham city on a phone. Great game, but it doesn't belong there. There are games that should just stay on their designated systems, this is one of them. What's next? Cut the rope for kinect?
Old 06-08-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is going to be a gigantic seller, whether or not it appeals to many of us here. I feel like this will probably do Minecraft XBLA-level sales (another game which, incidentally, was predicted to flop by many of the more "serious" gamers out there).
Old 06-08-12, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Angry Birds is great at what it is. It is not a console game. I imagine this will get a fair number of sales upfront, and then no one will ever play it.
Old 06-08-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Couldn't the same argument have been made for a lot of games that now exist on consoles and sold just fine? I'm thinking of Bejeweled, Plants vs. Zombies, etc. Granted, I don't know the full history of those games, but I believe they were non-console before they were brought over.

Keep in mind that there are no details about this yet other than the fact that it will exist at some point in the future. I'd imagine they've got a few tricks up their sleeve to make it more console-friendly. It's not going to be exactly the same, although I'm sure "Classic Mode" will be there.
Old 06-08-12, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This game will sell like frickin gang-busters. I personally got tired of it after an hour or so... but my kids??? They LOVE it to no end and I think this will outsell every other Live game based on name recognition alone.
Old 06-08-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Couldn't the same argument have been made for a lot of games that now exist on consoles and sold just fine? I'm thinking of Bejeweled, Plants vs. Zombies, etc. Granted, I don't know the full history of those games, but I believe they were non-console before they were brought over.

Keep in mind that there are no details about this yet other than the fact that it will exist at some point in the future. I'd imagine they've got a few tricks up their sleeve to make it more console-friendly. It's not going to be exactly the same, although I'm sure "Classic Mode" will be there.
Both of those were pc games before going to phones. They were made for the pc at first so the jump to console isn't so hard to imagine. Games like this or cut the rope etc just won't work too well on a console. There is an angry birds mini on psn right now, and it sucks horribly. I don't expect this one to be any better.
Old 06-08-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
My first thought was what's the point? But then I remembered that a few years ago I spent HOURS playing Peggle on my Xbox. Angry Birds for consoles may not be a blockbuster, but I'm sure it will sell well enough.

I've witnessed firsthand the crack-like addiction to the game among kids. Whenever I see my 5 year old nephew, one of the first things he does is ask if he can play the game on my phone. I got him a stuffed bird and pig for Christmas and his parents told me they were some of his favorite presents that year.
Old 06-08-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So did Rovio sell the rights to Activision or something? Why couldn't Rovio just release a console game on their own? Why is Activision even involved?

Either way, this is going to bring in mad cash. If Rovio actually sold something to Activision then I assume it was for a massive amount of money and I also assume it was only for console games, so Rovio would still be able to create and sell phone and tablet games.

Whether or not it's going to be a good console game or not is completely irrelevent. The amount of money this will bring in will be staggering.
Old 06-08-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This is Activision, they are kings of running anything into the ground.
Old 06-08-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, the assumption is that Activision bought the rights to make/release the console version for zillions of dollars, knowing they'll make it all back and then some.

I don't really understand the impulse to throw your hands up and shout "No No NO!" before we know any details about this. But I also can't imagine myself buying it unless it's a significantly upgraded version and not overpriced on release (it will be).

Last edited by MoviePage; 06-08-12 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Leave it to Activision. They'll release it for like 5 dollars and the start bringing out 15 dollar map packs, that is unless you join Angry Birds Elite for 50 dollars a year.
Old 06-08-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Angry Birds is already everywhere, not sure if Activision can run it into the ground anymore then Rovio has already been doing.
Old 06-08-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have Angry Birds on my PS3, I play it maybe once a month for 10-15 minutes, its usually before I turn the PS3 off, its a fun time waster
Old 06-08-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
So did Rovio sell the rights to Activision or something? Why couldn't Rovio just release a console game on their own? Why is Activision even involved?
It might stem from their dislike of the update model for consoles.

Speaking in an interview with MCV, franchise manager Peter Vesterbacka explained that Rovio's smartphone hit hadn't released on Xbox Live Arcade yet because of Microsoft's refusal to allow frequent content updates.
"Is that our fault? No, that's their problem. There is no reason why, when you do digital distribution on console, you couldn't do frequent updates. It's just a legacy way of thinking."
Vesterbacka then went on to argue that console manufacturers had to follow the smartphone model or risk extinction.
"If the consoles want to stay relevant they have to start mimicking what's going on around them on app stores, smartphones and online. It's the only way, because people expect games to stay fresh.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...into-xbox-live

So maybe that's why they've decided to hand this off to Activision.
Old 06-08-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to play this all the time on android. I even 3 starred every level in some of the maps. However, never bought it for iphone. Would never pay money for the game