Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (Telltale Games)

Originally Posted by scott1598
haven't played those. i kinda liked it, but not entirely convinced. reminded me of the "Choose Your Adventure" books i used to read as a kid though.
That's not far off. The game is much more of an interactive story than a "game". But still, game of the year.
Old 11-23-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was extremely impressed with it overall but it had too many substantial flaws to be GOTY-worthy as far as I'm concerned. Most of the QTEs could have been handled alot better, there were several performance issues (episode 5 was the only episode that ran smoothly for me, I did get a title update right before playing it) and glitches (lost saves etc.) and too many instances where it was apparent from reading the experiences of others that your choices didn't have as much of an impact on the narrative as you'd think. Without getting into spoilers the whole idea that a major character's presence in the game itself is ultimately traced back to a decision made several episodes either is particularly damning because the other characters just ignore your choice and do what you decided not to do anyway. That's something that happens over and over again. I know it's hard to branch too much on an episodic game but that's what we're paying Telltale to figure out, and every episode starts with a screen that hypes this non-linearity.

A nice way of putting it is that there's a lot of room for improvement in season 2 but I would still happily buy a season 2 regardless.
Old 11-23-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Just finished it, and also loved it. I'm a little unclear how Clem got an unconscious Lee off the street, but I can overlook that.
Old 11-25-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 631 Likes on 485 Posts

I've been playing this thanks to the Steam sale. So far I've been good about living with my decisions and seeing how it all plays out. But a certain event in Episode 3 had me replay a key sequence over and over again.
Spoiler:
Sad to discover there's no way to save Carley. Man, do I hate Lily right about now!
Old 11-25-12, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished. Bleh. What a punch in the gut :\
Old 11-25-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally played Episode 5. Game of the Year for me, loved every minute of it and I was satisfied with the conclusion. I was afraid it would get a bit hokey given the lead in to the episode, but everything played out extremely well. It's interesting to see the different responses to Kenny listed above. Spoilers for Episode 5 ahead...

Spoiler:
It sounds like there's different things that can happen with Kenny. I had Ben fall in the street as well, with Kenny dying sacrificing himself. Sounds like Christa can fall in the gap, which didn't happen at all in my game... we just walked past it with comments about being careful.

Anyone choose to not cut off your arm? Curious what happens and if you get to keep it. Also, I asked Clem to finish me off at the very end; I'm also curious what happens if you tell her to just run away and leave Lee behind.
Old 11-25-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Finally played Episode 5. Game of the Year for me, loved every minute of it and I was satisfied with the conclusion. I was afraid it would get a bit hokey given the lead in to the episode, but everything played out extremely well. It's interesting to see the different responses to Kenny listed above. Spoilers for Episode 5 ahead...

Spoiler:
It sounds like there's different things that can happen with Kenny. I had Ben fall in the street as well, with Kenny dying sacrificing himself. Sounds like Christa can fall in the gap, which didn't happen at all in my game... we just walked past it with comments about being careful.

Anyone choose to not cut off your arm? Curious what happens and if you get to keep it. Also, I asked Clem to finish me off at the very end; I'm also curious what happens if you tell her to just run away and leave Lee behind.
Spoiler:
I kept my arm. Not sure how it would have changed things.
Old 11-25-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Really enjoyed this, it's been a long time since I've actually really cared about the story in a game. Hope there's more to come soon.
Old 11-26-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i dunno. i kinda liked the all too short demo and wanted to see where it went, but wasn't keen on all the quicktime events or whatever they were when you pan over the dot and press a key.

is the whole game like that?

i didn't hate it and perhaps if demo lasted longer i would have liked it more, so debating to get the whole set on 12/4. seems like the emotional payoff is well worth it though, but i think i like to have more control over characters.

I downloaded the demo and was disappointed it wasn't more of an action/adventure game. I just can't stand the whole "take 5 minutes to open every cabinet and drawer in the kitchen to find one item" type of game. Also hate the "Hit square! Hit triangle! Tap circle!!!" mechanics.

I was hoping it was going to be more along the lines of "The Last of Us."
Old 12-03-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I just finished episode 4. I've had an impending sense of dread regarding what the conclusion might be since the first episode. However, the lead-in to the fifth and final episode still caught me by surprise. This is some rivetting stuff.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-04-12 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JTH182
I downloaded the demo and was disappointed it wasn't more of an action/adventure game. I just can't stand the whole "take 5 minutes to open every cabinet and drawer in the kitchen to find one item" type of game. Also hate the "Hit square! Hit triangle! Tap circle!!!" mechanics.

I was hoping it was going to be more along the lines of "The Last of Us."
While it moves along slower then I expected when I initially tried the game too, I think you would get past it pretty quickly. You don't spend that much time having to search for items or anything, and after getting deeper into the story I actually started feeling like the pace of those times where you are doing some exploration fit in pretty well later in the game.
Old 12-03-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't even finished the 1st episode yet, but last weekend my daughter(14) asked about this since she loves the show. I told her to give it a try(she's really not into video games unless its Kart racing or Mario Party) and she loved it. Finished the episode rather quickly. So now of course I have to DL the other episodes.
Old 12-03-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is in my top five ages of the year.
Old 12-04-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierMike
This is in my top five ages of the year.
Dang. Most people only get two ages per year.
Old 12-04-12, 08:10 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL I just started the game up and i am stuck in the pharmacy

Spoiler:
I am trying to get the key from my dead brother. however i can't figure out what to do. i have looked at everywhere I can click and talked to everybody over and over. I am terrible at figuring things out lol. I say that "i need to make some noise" but i can't figure out what to do. I threw that brick at that store earlier. did i do that too soon?
Old 12-04-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wlj
LOL I just started the game up and i am stuck in the pharmacy

Spoiler:
I am trying to get the key from my dead brother. however i can't figure out what to do. i have looked at everywhere I can click and talked to everybody over and over. I am terrible at figuring things out lol. I say that "i need to make some noise" but i can't figure out what to do. I threw that brick at that store earlier. did i do that too soon?
Spoiler:
Get the TV remote and have Doug reprogram it so you can turn on the TV's in the store across the street. That and the broken window should lure the walkers.
Old 12-04-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Dang. Most people only get two ages per year.
Old 12-04-12, 12:11 PM
wlj

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Get the TV remote and have Doug reprogram it so you can turn on the TV's in the store across the street. That and the broken window should lure the walkers.

well i'll be damned. thanks!!
Old 12-04-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wlj
well i'll be damned. thanks!!
No problem. That part was a headscratcher for me as well. I forgot to look for
Spoiler:
a second battery for Carley
because I was so pissed trying to figure out that problem that had you stumped.
Old 12-04-12, 02:59 PM
wlj

as i get older and older, i get worse at figuring things out

Lego Batman 2 is my first lego game. I have had to look on youtube twice already to help me figure out how to advance, and i am only 15 minutes in
Old 12-05-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

While it moves along slower then I expected when I initially tried the game too, I think you would get past it pretty quickly. You don't spend that much time having to search for items or anything, and after getting deeper into the story I actually started feeling like the pace of those times where you are doing some exploration fit in pretty well later in the game.
I just hate it when they intentionally hide things or add red herrings, and you start to doubt your plan of action. I remember one sequence where I needed to find a pencil, and surprise, Clem doesn't have one. It was located in an area that was hard to spot visually.

Despite this grumble, The Walking Dead was the most enjoyable gaming experience I had all year. It finally stratched that itch I had where my decisions actually changed the storyline. I got a bit of a taste of this element in the ME series, but TWD really raised the bar. I hope they make the next season even more interactive with multiple endings to the game.
Old 12-06-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I felt the ending was a tad abrupt but I suddenly started feeling like shit a few seconds into the end credits. So the cumulative effect of the narrative must be what got to me rather than the ending itself.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I told them of my bit early on and had them cut off my arm. Kenny died trying to save Ben in my playthrough. Christa and Omid crossed the sign and it broke.

As for Lee's fate, I chose to have Clem leave him and told her to find Christa and Omid. He just passes out on the radiator and the end credits roll. Post credits, I saw Clem alone and she saw a pair in the distance. I don't think they were walkers but the screen cuts to black before Clem decides wether to call out or not.

I wonder if Telltale will leave the surviving characters' fates a mystery or if season two will pick up where episode five ended.

By the way, I had no clue you could
Spoiler:
spare the stranger. Anyone manage to do that? What happens?

I strangled him to death but didn't pop him in the head. The bullet came in handy for the walker outside the door.
Old 12-06-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp

By the way, I had no clue you could
Spoiler:
spare the stranger. Anyone manage to do that? What happens?

I strangled him to death but didn't pop him in the head. The bullet came in handy for the walker outside the door.
In my game...

Spoiler:
I didn't strangle the stranger but Clementine came and shot him in the head
Old 12-07-12, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In my game...

Spoiler:
I didn't strangle the stranger but Clementine came and shot him in the head
Spoiler:
In one part of episode 4, I missed a shot (I think I was trying to save Holly) and Clem saved the day with a well timed headshot. That little girl became a badass.
Old 12-10-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still haven't played any of this game, but I have the PS3 collector's edition on preorder at GS and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Heck, I'm tempted to use some trade credit and just get another single copy of the game and keeping the CE sealed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.