Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Gear Solid 5 (or Metal Gear 5olid)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metal Gear Solid 5 (or Metal Gear 5olid)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Metal Gear Solid 5 (or Metal Gear 5olid)

Originally Posted by Deftones
loved this game up until this shelanthropus fight.
Rocket Launcher and a whole lot of running. Let your chopper fuck him up, and manually call in another when it's inevitably destroyed.
Old 10-15-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Rocket Launcher and a whole lot of running. Let your chopper fuck him up, and manually call in another when it's inevitably destroyed.
did that. i'd always get him down to about 10 - 15% of health, then he'd sit and blast that fucking laser weapon. i finally beat it 2 tries after i posted my message. that was the most frustrating gaming moment i've had in decades.
Old 10-15-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

did that. i'd always get him down to about 10 - 15% of health, then he'd sit and blast that fucking laser weapon. i finally beat it 2 tries after i posted my message. that was the most frustrating gaming moment i've had in decades.
Hide behind a cliff; the AI in that fight is non-existent.
Old 10-15-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Did that too. Then couldn't get angle to shoot him
Old 10-16-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did that too. Then couldn't get angle to shoot him
What I found worked best for me was just to take cover during that phase of the battle and not worry about attacking him at all. It'd take a few shots at me then jump back down and return to its normal (and much more manageable) attack pattern.

Interestingly enough, the [Extreme] replay of the battle later on was significantly easier for me than the original. Guess I'd developed better equipment by then, or I just had a better understanding of the battle than the first time through, or whatever.

Trying to get trough the start of Code Talker on [Extreme] without using "cheating" equipment -- now THAT had me pulling my hair out.
Old 10-17-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm very confused by the universal acclaim this one is getting. I'm about six missions in and there isn't really any story . And the gameplay reminds me of Splinter Cell. Maybe it's my fault for not reading up on the game prior to purchasing but this definitely isn't the linear cinematic action adventure I was hoping for. It's really reminding me of Bioshock Infinite: very well made but mechanically it's three years too late. Are the missions in the last three quarters of the game more of the first batch?
Old 10-18-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The game is a sandbox open environment. Most of those are non-linear. I think the gameplay in Splinter Cell should have reminded you of the original MGS. Personally I think Bioshock Infinite was excellent all round. I think if you were after a linear cinematic game then you should have bought a game from 10 years ago. These days a lot of games try to give the player more variety rather than a pointed storyline with few to no options for story deviation.

Oh and the story is a bit lacking I agree. I am only a couple of missions away from the end and the story has practically only just started and begun in the last few missions. In a game as fun to play as this I don't mind too much if story is lacking. Case in point will be Just Cause 3. Story will be crap, but who cares when the game will be all kinds of awesome.
Old 10-18-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The communication tower is a great place to "hide" from him. You can bombard him with rockets and grenades and he cant hit you
Old 10-18-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
The game is a sandbox open environment. Most of those are non-linear. I think the gameplay in Splinter Cell should have reminded you of the original MGS. Personally I think Bioshock Infinite was excellent all round. I think if you were after a linear cinematic game then you should have bought a game from 10 years ago. These days a lot of games try to give the player more variety rather than a pointed storyline with few to no options for story deviation.

Oh and the story is a bit lacking I agree. I am only a couple of missions away from the end and the story has practically only just started and begun in the last few missions. In a game as fun to play as this I don't mind too much if story is lacking. Case in point will be Just Cause 3. Story will be crap, but who cares when the game will be all kinds of awesome.
Yeah, I'm in the camp that's pretty bored of most of the open world / sandbox titles. They lack urgency and drive, get repetitive quick, and are rarely consistently fun enough to compel me to keep pushing forward in em. It's one of the reasons I was so keen on more linear titles of late, such as Bloodborne and the first Tomb Raider, over titles like Sunset Overdrive and Skyrim. I loved the intro to MGS V, it was weird and fun, and then it fell off really quick.

I also get the BioShock Infinity complaint. The world was cool and story was decent, but the gameplay was pretty dated -- the load screen break-ups and half-assed rail system complicated things.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-18-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do appreciate linear games that have killer storylines, but they tend to be games that you need to invest some gaming time each time you sit down and play them. These days my gaming is sporadic, so i equally appreciate games that i can pick up, play for 10 mins and then turn off.

The Tomb Raider game was rather excellent. I started out loving that series, but it lost its way. Nice to see it back on form.
Old 10-19-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a

Well Guns of the patriots only came out 7 years ago and considering the lineage of the series I don't think expecting this one to be a linear cinematic thing was too out of line. But other than that I agree.
Old 10-21-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

When Quiet's your buddy on a mission, is there something you're supposed to do to keep her with you? I've been using her quite a bit and it's like 75% of the time she's nowhere to be found and her commands are all grayed out.

I'm still enjoying the missions and side missions on this and even kind of like the resource management and development aspects, but I'm sick of the shitty open world. It's basically a pretty loading screen between missions except it requires you to hold down the thumbstick.
Old 10-21-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Go to Buddy Support on the iDroid and manually choose a close sniping spot if she's not around. You really should be having her scout camps before you go in too. She'll mark all enemies, and show the locations of prisoners. Very helpful.

She's really awesome, especially when you get her a silenced tranq.
Old 10-21-15, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Quiet you have to open up the iDroid and go to Missions > Buddy Support and then you can tell her where to go. When you first drop into an area she tends to run off to the nearest outpost on her own, which is rarely where you're heading.

There's a Scout command that has her run around an area and she'll spot/mark enemies and then pick a nearby sniping spot once finished. So it's best to send her ahead of you; by the time you get there she'll settle in and be ready to attack. She does tend to miss certain enemies if they're inside a building or tent, so be careful you don't run into unexpected trouble. D-Dog is hands down the best at marking enemies/prisoners.

Quiet also has a menu command for "Attack" which lets you pick among a few different sniping spots in the event that she automatically ends up at one where most guards are out of her line of sight. Just have her hop over the the other side.

One thing to keep in mind when using her is that she'll kill any enemy that spots you if she has a clear shot at them. Usually this isn't a problem, but there have been many times where I was trying to keep a particular guard alive so I could fulton him, and he'd spot me. Before I could Tranquilize / CQC him, his head would explode before the Reflex Mode ended. Sometimes mid throw / chokehold. It's actually kind of hilarious, but can be annoying when you spend 10 minutes trying to capture some S++ rank soldier only for him to get brutally executed.
Old 10-21-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks guys. Had no idea that option was in the iDroid.
Old 10-21-15, 04:18 PM

Yeah, for the hundreds of Tips they show on the loading screens, somehow they managed to leave that one out. I think I only found it because I was like "she's not doing anything, I'm gonna call in D-Dog instead."
Old 10-21-15, 07:28 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ddog is awesome just upgraded to stun, he is unstoppable. I love doing wandering solider, he spots him and then I order him to stun.
Old 10-22-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got into a rhythm of not using a buddy at all. The only downside was traveling distances between locations. I have started using DDog more than. Not used Quiet or the Walker once yet, but will do when i start going back over missions.

I am on the penultimate mission but not had much of a chance to play this past week. Hopefully will be completed by the weekend and then i can go back and 100% it.
Old 11-18-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I'm down to around 15 side missions and the last 4 actual missions. Talk about fizzling out at the end. I mean, it basically just abandons its admittedly awful narrative and plops you back into missions you've already played but with a difficulty modifier, including replaying their cinematics that are no less horrible the second time, but are now in no way part of any attempt at a story. Maybe the last 1 or 2 will be different, but it really has the feel of just giving up.

I will say that the game evokes more conflicting feelings in me that just about anything I remember playing. I love the in-mission gameplay and think the graphics are mostly beautiful. I somewhat like the leveling up your base mgmt and support staff aspects, though they do grow tedious. I hate just about everything else in the game, from the ridiculous story to horrible script and voice acting to the dead and empty open world to occasionally being forced into a tutorial, even if I'm dozens of hours in. I would seriously rank the game higher if it had no story or 'world' at all and just consisted of a text list of missions to select from and the missions themselves.
Old 06-03-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one had posted in a while so I thought I would put this here, I was doing a night mission in Ibiza Camp using night vision. When I got the loading platform their was a body in the shape of a cross floating in mid-air. I turned the night vision off and it dis-appeared until I turned the night vision back on. I kept switching back and forth & it finally went away completely. Anyone else find any glitches like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkGk9garyo
Old 06-03-16, 01:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Dude, I can't believe you shot at Jesus.
Old 06-03-16, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I completed the game a while back and I have since been going through it to complete every task on every mission. I haven't played it in about 3 weeks due to Dying Light. MGS 5 really is a fantastic game and it's a whole lot of fun. Wish we could see another one like this sometime soon, but looks like it won't be happening.

Funny seeing my comment about Just Cause 3. I was soooooo looking forward to that game last year only to be met by massive disappointment.
Old 08-31-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE DEFINITIVE EXPERIENCE is the ultimate collection of the METAL GEAR SOLID V story which includes the critically acclaimed METAL GEAR SOLID V : THE PHANTOM PAIN, its prologue METAL GEAR SOLID V : GROUND ZEROES, as well as all their DLC contents.
※METAL GEAR ONLINE is included as an online multiplayer mode in METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN.

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE DEFINITIVE EXPERIENCE
Platforms PlayStation®4 / Xbox One / PC (Steam®)
Price $49.99
*The Steam version pricing and content details will be confirmed at a later date.
Release Date October 11, 2016
Genre Tactical Espionage Operation
Languages Voice : English,
Subtitles : English, French, German, Italian,
Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese,
Rating ESRB : MATURE 17+
Old 10-05-16, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon has it for $39.99 for those w/ Prime.