Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Originally Posted by glassdragon
You mean like for the first 2 of 3 years having a system that would start overheating after 6 months and break?
Touche, and it would have stuck had they not fixed them for free, and eventually solved the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on a black doorstop known as a PS3 because Sony wants $150, last I checked anyway, to fix it. No brownie points there.

Old 11-09-11, 12:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

I do 95% of my gaming on the 360. I've only owned two iterations (the original 20gb and the 120gb Elite. Neither have ever died on me, but I sold the 20gb).
I always buy multi-platform games on that system (Fallout, Dead Island, Guitar Hero, Burnout, COD, Duke Nukem, LA Noire, etc.)
The only exceptions where I bought the PS3 versions were:
Resident Evil 5, which I regret, and
Batman: Arkham Asylum, solely because the 360 special edition was sold out.
Portal 2, just to get the Steam code, sell the PS3 copy, and buy the 360 version.

As for PS3 exclusives, I recently finally finished Uncharted (yes, the first one) on the PS3. I'll play through Uncharted 2 and 3 eventually, but I have a handful of games that I won't even bother playing anymore (Little Big Planet, MAG, MGS4, etc.). The forced installations and time-consuming updates are the biggest drawback for me. Last time I threw in MAG, I had to wait nearly an hour before I could actually play the game. So, aside from the Uncharted games, I use my PS3 for Netflix and the occasional Blu-ray.
Old 11-09-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See, I rarely do online, but the few times when i have I had 0 lag and 0 dropped games. That may be different for someone who plays nothing but mp. I don't doubt that the dash is better on 360 for online as the ps3 one is not really suited for online, but that can easily be fixed by a patch from Sony. Now getting them to actually do it is another thing all together.
Yeah, let's not hold our breath for that patch.
Old 11-09-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Touche, and it would have stuck had they not fixed them for free, and eventually solved the problem.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on a black doorstop known as a PS3 because Sony wants $150, last I checked anyway, to fix it. No brownie points there.

Gamestop is currently giving $50 bonus on PS3 and 360 trades. May be worth your while. I think their refurb fee is $25.
Old 11-09-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, theirs didn't typically break until like 3 years later and very few consumer electronics have warranty's that long so I think after that long then it should be expected for a charge to fix, although 150 seems like a bit much when a new system is only 300

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Yeah, let's not hold our breath for that patch.
Trust me, I'm not. If Sony were smart though (and we all know that is questionable at times) then they would at least add some stuff to compete with 360's online presence, then they would no doubt dominate if they could emulate the 360 experience on ps3.
Old 11-09-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I think their refurb fee is $25.
? They fix them? Or do you mean they take $25 off the trade in value for non-working?

To be fair, theirs didn't typically break until like 3 years later and very few consumer electronics have warranty's that long so I think after that long then it should be expected for a charge to fix, although 150 seems like a bit much when a new system is only 300
True, but 90 days is a joke.
Old 11-09-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

? They fix them? Or do you mean they take $25 off the trade in value for non-working?
Take that off the value of the trade in. It is worth a call to see what they will give you for it. You can find a $189 PS3 on Amazon Warehouse if you keep your eyes pealed.
Old 11-09-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$60 for a perfectly working 60GB. You only get the $50 bonus if it's in working condition, so minus the $25 refurb fee, it's worth $35.
Old 11-09-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
360 here. My PS3 is for watching Blu-rays.
This applies to me as well. I've owned my PS3 for a few years now and have never played a game on it. I only use it for Blu-ray. I'm not really a big gamer, though.
Old 11-09-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$60 for a perfectly working 60GB. You only get the $50 bonus if it's in working condition, so minus the $25 refurb fee, it's worth $35.
That is some weak sauce. I'd try for a wherehouse special or BF. I know there is a holiday bundle comming w/ 2 pack in games.
Old 11-09-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

After having a PS3 since the month of its release, I'm finally getting a XBox 360 this Christmas - and primarily for online gaming and some of the streaming XBox Live TV will be offering once it gets up and running.

As already noted, the PS3 is GREAT for Blu-ray movies (for a while there, it was actually the BEST Blu-ray player on the market), but the PlayStation Network has been a disaster from the get-go. Sony's servers must be horrible or constantly maxed out, because it literally takes up to a day to download a movie or a significantly-sized game.

I think the bottom line though is that the XBox 360 is more geared toward "hardcore" gamers, while the PS3 ties to me more of an "entertainment system", with gaming being just one of the things it offers.
Old 11-09-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, in my opinion, I think the exclusives thing is overrated. Yeah people love Halo and God of War, but to me the best games are Fallout, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Saints Row, Rock Band -- none of the storied exclusive franchises.

The only exclusive I really dug was Heavenly Sword. However, that unfortunately appeared to be a one time thing.
Old 11-09-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i own both and im fairly casual when it comes to gaming. I use my ps3 to play bd and netflix (do u still need live to use netflix on 360?)and bc i prefer the ds controller i tend to just buy games on ps3. online i honestly didnt see a huge difference in live's service and ps3. i very seldomly get booted or lagged online playing modern warfare. and i do prefer ps3 exclusives because of the variety.

doesnt mean i dont enjoy my 360 imo it was worth the price tag for gears alone
Old 11-10-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same question as the OP - I'm fairly a newbie since I last played with my PS2 nearly 4 years ago. I moved, didn't unpack it for a few months, then found myself no longer playing it. I'm planning to buy a new console this Black Friday (hopefully they will be on sale).

My main question is: what's the better console for Sports Games? I mainly play Baseball and Basketball games. Would also be interested if there are sports games for the Kinect or Move.

Also, several years back for the PS2 they would come out with a Greatest Hits line of games which would cost $19.95 (granted these were games that were about a year old but were good nonetheless). Do they still come out with the lower-priced, older, popular games for the PS3 or Xbox? I figure since I've been out of it so long I can play with the older games first if they are much cheaper.

And what happened to all the gaming magazines? There used to be a ton of them (GamePro, EGM, PSM, etc.) but now I hardly see any. I had wanted to read what the best games have been.
Old 11-10-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the most part sports games are exactly the same on both systems. I can't even think of a non multi-platform sports game myself. Yes GH releases still exist. As for video game magazines, the internet happened, that's what happened to them.
Old 11-10-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

@ sinned - Football, soccer, hockey and Basketball are all pretty similar across the consoles - anyone who tells you anything different is a fanboy. The PS3 distances itself in baseball with MLB :the Show series. It is a PS3 console exclusive and is far better than the 2K baseball series. and Then I think NBA Jam might have some kind of PS3 exclusivity.

Both consoles have Greatest hits series which go from 14.99 to 29.99. lots of good games for you to catch up on.

There are a few gaming magazines out there. Most of the magazines are gone and most of the content is now online. There are also plenty of weekly podcasts for gaming - Weekend Confirmed, The Hotspot, Sarcastic Gamer, Games Radar, Rebel FM etc... that can cover most of the gaming news.
Old 11-10-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't worry too much about games getting the Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits distinction. I mean, there are plenty more games you can get for $20 that never get the GH/PH label. Many of the games that DO get the label are available cheaply at some point before it happens anyway. Lots of deals on games get posted to this forum.
Old 11-10-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cruzness
Then I think NBA Jam might have some kind of PS3 exclusivity.
NBA Jam is on all three consoles.
Old 11-10-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

@cruzness - thanks for your reply, I do remember that MLB The Show was better than the 2Kxx series. I think I'll be leaning towards the PS3 then (hopefully it goes on sale!). Thanks!
Old 11-10-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sinned
I'm planning to buy a new console this Black Friday (hopefully they will be on sale).
Walmart is having some pretty sick deals on both a PS3 and 360.
Old 11-10-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Black Friday is undoubtedly the best time of the year to pick up a console if you’re looking for a deal. While the infamous shopping day is still a couple of weeks away, Walmart has jumped the gun and released their killer deals ahead of time.

If you’re in the market for a PlayStation 3, you’ll be able to pick up a 160GB model bundled with LittleBigPlanet 2 and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One for just under $200. On top of that, a three month PlayStation Plus membership is included as well.

In addition, a whole bunch of games will see a major price slash, as a number of high profile titles will be available for only $28, including Batman: Arkham City, Call of Duty: Black Ops, InFamous 2 and Battlefield 3. That’s a lot of quality gaming content for at a pretty affordable price.

Be sure to check back here at PlayStation Lifestyle for more updates on Black Friday deals.
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011...-black-friday/
Old 11-10-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, good to know that the "Greatest Hits" line still exists and that games do come down in prices after a while. After 4 years on non-gaming there'll be plenty to keep me busy!

@glassdragon - thanks for posting that. I'll be lucky if I get 1 out of the 4 games listed as WM can be a Zoo at BF. Hopefully Amazon will price match. I'll have to check if the bundle is available, I would definitely jump on that!
Old 11-10-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what are the "Game of the Year" editions? Are they similar to "Greatest Hits" or do they have extra content?

Also, what are the chances of actually getting one of those console bundle deals at WM? I know it gets really crazy there but do they stock it in sufficient quantities or does it normally sell out within 5 minutes?
Old 11-10-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This generation has introduced DownLoad Content to extend the life of a game. Things like extra missions, maps, characters, cars, etc. at varying prices throughout the year after a game's release.

There are a handful of games that have taken all that DLC and bundled it together with the original game for a rerelease a year or so after the initial game came out for one low price, i.e. a Game of the Year edition. Sometimes the content is on the disc, other times companies just include marketplace tokens to download that content for free.
Old 11-10-11, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.