Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So I'm getting my first system...Xbox or PS3?

In the 25+ years I've been playing games, I don't think there's ever been a more closely matched rivalry than the PS3 and Xbox 360 in terms of both hardware and software.

The PS3 is slightly more capable of putting out better graphics, but it's not really a huge difference.

This generation, there seems to be more multi-platform games than in the past. Honestly, 80-90% of what you'll end up playing will be on both systems. In some (but not all) cases, the 360 tends to handle better due to its architecture being very close to a PC, whereas the PS3 is a more unique / difficult system to program for.

For me, the deciding factor was just the matter of a few games that were exclusive to the PS3. The Playstation brand was without question the driving force of the industry for the better part of a decade, so many of the developers / IPs I follow tend to be on Sony's box.

Without a personal gaming history, it might be harder to make a decision based on software alone, so as others have said take a look at the pros/cons on the hardware/online end. Or read up on exclusives and see which ones sound more like your thing.

I only own a PS3 as far as current gen goes, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 360 to catch up with the Halo games, or buy a Wii to get the new Zelda.
Old 11-08-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get it before the 18th, PS3
Old 11-08-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush
If you get it before the 18th, PS3
Hah, I'm surprised it lasted that long honestly.

Also, everyone always says that 360's online is miles better, but never give any reasons. If you are talking about discounts? I get that too with my ps+ that I pay the same 50 a year for, plus a crapload of free games. I seriously have more than I could ever play from ps+. Latency? I've never had any whatsoever. I don't understand why everyone says that the 360's online is better. I'm not even getting into the free/pay aspect. I am just really curious HOW it is better.

I mean, I'm not saying it isn't better, but how does it justify the 35 to 50 a year? Again, I'm just curious
Old 11-08-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Check out console exclusives. 360 has a couple of Big dog heavy hitters in Halo series and Gears of War series to go along with Alan Wake and the Fable series
PS3 exclusives gives more variety - Resistance series, Killzone Series, Uncharted 1-3, Ratchet and Clanks, God of War, Metal Gear, Infamous series and Little Big Planet. Compare the controllers

Also realize Sony has a history of continuing support for their consoles well after their next generation console is released. Microsoft however will most likely forget they even had an older console once their new one is released.
Old 11-08-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cruzness

Also realize Sony has a history of continuing support for their consoles well after their next generation console is released. Microsoft however will most likely forget they even had an older console once their new one is released.

That is definitely true. I think they still release madden every year on ps2, but then again the madden franchise is a money whore so that doesn't really say much.
Old 11-08-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, but I think a lot of the reason for that was because the PS and PS2 were so successful that it made sense. It will be interesting to see if that continues with the PS3, considering that it didn't dominate the market the way those other systems did.

I mean, look at how Nintendo supported the Game Boy Advance after the release of the DS, and compare that to the N64 and Gamecube. Those were practically dead before their successors were launched.
Old 11-08-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, but I think a lot of the reason for that was because the PS and PS2 were so successful that it made sense. It will be interesting to see if that continues with the PS3, considering that it didn't dominate the market the way those other systems did.

I mean, look at how Nintendo supported the Game Boy Advance after the release of the DS, and compare that to the N64 and Gamecube. Those were practically dead before their successors were launched.
Yeah, but most of the reason it didn't dominate the way ps2 did was price. After the price cut though they caught of to what? 3 or 4 years of xbox sales pretty quickly. That is likely most of the reason why it never really did as good as they had hoped.
Old 11-08-11, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Go with your heart.
Old 11-08-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage

Having said all that, the multi-disc releases can be a pain when you know that they're single-disc on PS3, except in the cases where the multiple discs have beneficial side effects (see: Dead Space 2's Hard core mode).
I wonder why they haven't released a multi disc changer like they have for dvd/cd players? Can't be too expensive to make since xbox has been out so long.
Old 11-08-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

If you prefer single player games, buy a PS3, because it has better single player EXCLUSIVE experiences.

If you prefer multiplayer, but a 360, because it provides a way better online experience(both in interface/features and games).
Old 11-09-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either one should make you happy. I prefer the 360 for reasons stated in this thread (like the more agreeable online setup for my tastes, as well as the controller -- I really dislike the PS3 controller for things other than fighters), but both systems are really good.

Unless you have a lot of friends on one platform, or the other (which should be a determining factor if you want to play with them), you really can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-09-11, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon

Also, everyone always says that 360's online is miles better, but never give any reasons. If you are talking about discounts? I get that too with my ps+ that I pay the same 50 a year for, plus a crapload of free games. I seriously have more than I could ever play from ps+. Latency? I've never had any whatsoever. I don't understand why everyone says that the 360's online is better. I'm not even getting into the free/pay aspect. I am just really curious HOW it is better.

I mean, I'm not saying it isn't better, but how does it justify the 35 to 50 a year? Again, I'm just curious
Superior interface, integration, friend features. Unlike most things MS does, the system menu while you're playing games is, imo, much more user friendly than the PS3. I've also experienced fewer dropped games, less lag, and faster game creation/joining.
Old 11-09-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

As everyone else said, the systems are pretty equal at this point. If Blu-ray isn't a selling point, and your friends aren't influencing your console choice, pick the controller that you like better and go with it, there's great exclusives on both systems so you can't lose either way.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Superior interface, integration, friend features. Unlike most things MS does, the system menu while you're playing games is, imo, much more user friendly than the PS3. I've also experienced fewer dropped games, less lag, and faster game creation/joining.
Another couple of big reasons; cross game chat & invites.

I just googled to see if Sony ever added either (I haven't kept up since my PS3 died) and found this recent nugget about PS3 cross chat from IGN:

PlayStation 3 players have been begging for cross-game chat -- the ability for players to be in separate games and still talk to each other using the PS3 console. Sony has now confirmed that feature will never come to the system.

The PS3's RAM is used by the game the system is running. Because of that, the console can't support cross-game chat like the Xbox 360 does.
They sound like silly features if you aren't used to them, but once you use them on a regular basis, it's hard to go back. I use cross game chat/invites all the time, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Old 11-09-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I agree, for some reason I thought those were on the PS3 by now, weird.
Old 11-09-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Gaming = 360
Everything else = PS3
Old 11-09-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glassdragon

Larger community, parties w/ chat that can go from game to game or to the dashboard, I also find the Xbox friend intergration to be much better. That said, if this is your first system, I would play with each controller and see which one you like more. Both have a pretty extensive library of cheap games. Digital content sales have been better on PSN lately, but Xbox has a lot more digital content to offer. You can get really cheap and easy HDD upgrades on a PS3.
Old 11-09-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
I wonder why they haven't released a multi disc changer like they have for dvd/cd players? Can't be too expensive to make since xbox has been out so long.
I find that the ability to instal to the hard drive negates this problem. That is an advantage of the Xbox. PS3 load times and title updates can be a pain too.
Old 11-09-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

PS3 forced installs still annoy me, I know people defend them but it's damn annoying when you just want to try a game out really fast and have to wait 20 minutes for it to install.
Old 11-09-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by Drexl
Worldwide console sales: Link

Wii - 86.01 million as of March 31, 2011
360 - 57.6 million as of September 30th, 2011
PS3 - 55.5 million as of November 2, 2011

Didn't dominate but the sales are nothing to sneeze at. Sony has stated that they want a 10 year cycle for their console so I believe they will continue support as they did in the past.
Old 11-09-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Larger community, parties w/ chat that can go from game to game or to the dashboard, I also find the Xbox friend intergration to be much better. That said, if this is your first system, I would play with each controller and see which one you like more. Both have a pretty extensive library of cheap games. Digital content sales have been better on PSN lately, but Xbox has a lot more digital content to offer. You can get really cheap and easy HDD upgrades on a PS3.
See, I rarely do online, but the few times when i have I had 0 lag and 0 dropped games. That may be different for someone who plays nothing but mp. I don't doubt that the dash is better on 360 for online as the ps3 one is not really suited for online, but that can easily be fixed by a patch from Sony. Now getting them to actually do it is another thing all together.
Old 11-09-11, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I play 90% of my gaming on the 360 but I would never recommend it to a new gamer. I'm kind of stuck into it.. and it's my 3rd one because they keep breaking and my 3 friends that I play with it are also kinda stuck with it too. Controller feel is a big deal and I just never got used to the PS3 stuff, but my experience with the PS3 and gaming is that it just works smoother. PS3 will probably outlive the 360 as far as support goes. Sony has always been good about that. It should be a nice investment with BRD support as well.
Old 11-09-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Worldwide console sales: Link

Wii - 86.01 million as of March 31, 2011
360 - 57.6 million as of September 30th, 2011
PS3 - 55.5 million as of November 2, 2011

Didn't dominate but the sales are nothing to sneeze at. Sony has stated that they want a 10 year cycle for their console so I believe they will continue support as they did in the past.
Perception is a funny thing. The Gamecube is generally considered a failure, yet it only sold 3mil less than the Xbox which doesn't have that same reputation.

PS3 could overtake the 360 in sales, but because of those first 2-3 blundering years, I don't think it will ever shake that reputation.
Old 11-09-11, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Perception is a funny thing. The Gamecube is generally considered a failure, yet it only sold 3mil less than the Xbox which doesn't have that same reputation.

PS3 could overtake the 360 in sales, but because of those first 2-3 blundering years, I don't think it will ever shake that reputation.
You mean like for the first 2 of 3 years having a system that would start overheating after 6 months and break?
Old 11-09-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I bought both consoles (and the HD DVD add-on) at the same time. PS3 is used for Blu-ray and games like Uncharted, 360 for Halo etc. Multi-platform games I tend to buy whichever is cheaper, though then that locks me into that format for sequels etc. (one franchise I switched midway and didn't get credit for something I had accomplished). I probably prefer the 360 controller but don't mind the PS3. I like how the PS3 recharges from the console but wouldn't mind having the option of rechargeable batteries.
Old 11-09-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're actually going to be playing games on the console? Xbox 360.

If you're not waiting for any special deals and just looking to pick one up ASAP, $299 at Amazon gets you the 250GB model with Halo: Reach, Fable 3 and three-months of Xbox Live Gold for free. [Or, if you have a Fry's near you, they have a two-day sale starting today that allows you to purchase the $399 Modern Warfare 3 limited edition bundle that Fry's is also throwing in a free copy of Battlefield 3 with.]

I agree with the majority in this thread that the Xbox 360 is the better gaming experience over a PS3. It sucks that neither can be as great as a PC, but who's counting?

From the Xbox dashboard (which is getting an update later this month) to the Xbox Live Gold membership (which is the best integration of multiplayer on a console) to the exclusive titles (Halo and Gears of War come to mind) to the far superior controller, there's a reason my Xbox sees more playing time than my PS3 about 10:1. I've purchased three Xbox games within the past two months whereas I've only purchased three PS3 games within the past three years (and one was Portal 2 only I could get the free PC/Mac copy).

My PS3 is a great Blu-ray player... but that's about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.