Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rocksmith: The way-official news and discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rocksmith: The way-official news and discussion thread

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
He has alot of guitars, probably at least half a dozen. But I'm sure they're a bit more expensive than the one that comes in the bundle

I was just wondering if it makes a difference. I don't want to break an expensive guitar.
If you've never played guitar before then it really doesn't matter. Any 100 dollar starter guitar is fine, you just might want better later.

Also, if you break a guitar playing this then you should stop with the huge solo's at the end that involve you slamming the guitar against the floor. Unless the guitar is made of glass I doubt you'll break it.
Old 01-27-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind
Old 02-02-12, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The patch dropped a couple days ago. Surprised no one's mentioned anything yet.

Here are the patch notes..
1. The user is now able to select ‘Songs’ from the Multiplayer Post Play screen, allowing them to select a new song without having to re-calibrate the guitar each time
2. A fix has been entered to disqualify any Guitarcade Game score that was gotten through exploitation of the Pause Button. A warning message appears on the Pause Screen informing the user that pausing the game again will disqualify their score from the leaderboards
3. The amount of lives that the user has in Riff Repeater has been increased to 30 when selected from Event Manager or Song selection.
4. The user is now able to invoke the precision tuner before quick-tuning in any song or event, excluding multiplayer
5. The user is now able to select their own “Phrase Mastery” level in the Pause Menu of Riff Repeater activities. Completing the phrase on the set level carries that progress into the full song, unless the new phrase level is LOWER than what has actually been achieved naturally
6. The user can now start new songs at a HIGHER phrase level if they are good enough (Level 7 as opposed to Level 5), and they can also level up high-level phrases with fewer correct repetitions
7. A fix has been implemented so that the “Satisfaction” Single Note arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode
8. A fix has been implemented so that the “Do You Remember” Chord arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode.
9. Lag Correction will be a new feature in the Options menu to adjust the difference between sound and how fast notes appear
10. General stability improvements to fix crashes

- The Songs menu option is also in the Post Play Menu. Select this option after a song to jump straight to the song list.
- When the user sets Phrase levels to Highest in the Options menu, the game will return their base difficulty level for new songs to their higher phrase level.
Old 02-02-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still haven't played the game, but all those changes look good from the outside. Looks like they're addressed some of the annoyances people have had.
Old 07-14-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So ok a lot of time has passed. Did anyone who never played before really learn how to play? Can you play a full song?
Old 07-14-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Ha. It actually did help me a lot, but I still can't play a full song. I probably would if I'd stuck with it. Honestly, I had a really hard time finishing that f#($ing Kings of Leon song...it's actually pretty easy, but the game has this bizarre mechanic where it'll introduce a new symbol and not tell you what it means until you've successfully completed the song. I guess the idea is to get players to get a feel for what they need to do by listening, but...I had no idea what those little blue spark thingies meant in "Use Somebody", I couldn't find an explanation online, I didn't see those symbols in any of the tutorials... By the time I finished that song -- which is now my least favorite song in existence, by the way -- I never wanted to play the game again. And I haven't.

There's a lot of really amazing DLC I've been meaning to pick up. Maybe the bass expansion pack will get me back into it since I'm more interested in bass anyway.
Old 07-15-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. I see its $45 now and I have had a guitar for quite awhile and learned chords but still haven't mastered the transitions from one chord to another.

I think I'll wait to it drops to $20.
Old 07-15-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Considering it's an Ubi title, I'm astonished it's not $20 by now. Heck, I'm surprised it wasn't $20 a week and a half after it came out.
Old 07-15-12, 07:11 PM
Political Exile

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I finally got around to taking my 25 year old BC Rich Warlock guitar into Guitar Center to get it restrung to let my daughter try this game out. What was nice was that it was $25 or so to get it restrung, but the guitar tech guy was really nice, and took apart the guitar, cleaned it up, lubricated the knobs, basically making it work and look brand new. I tipped the guy $20 for the great effort.

My daughter has been playing it every day this week, and she's really digging it (and hopefully learning to play guitar). I went ahead and purchased 8 DLC songs the other day, and I was happy to see that the songs are immediately incorporated in the regular gameplay.
Old 07-15-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Considering it's an Ubi title, I'm astonished it's not $20 by now. Heck, I'm surprised it wasn't $20 a week and a half after it came out.
It's probably because of that cable, which surely doesn't cost much to make, but still sells for $30 on its own.

I'm still waiting on the PC version (now due in October if it's not canceled), but if the PS3 version drops to $20 I'll probably just get that.
Old 10-05-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

Rocksmith 2014 is set for release on October 22nd so figured I'd boost this thread back up, not sure if there was another thread for it or not. They just added Colorblind mode and also just added:
Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me,"
Deftones' "My Own Summer,"
Green Day's "X-Kid,"
Queen's "We Are The Champions,"
Ratt's "Round and Round,"
Rush's "The Spirit Of Radio,
"Mary Jane's Last Dance" from Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers.

This was in addition to the previously announced tracklist (Rocksmith #1 is importable into this one)
Song Artist(s) Release year
"Walk This Way" Aerosmith 1975
"Stone" Alice in Chains 2013
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" Bob Dylan 1973
"Ultra Soul" B'z 2001
"The Chimera" The Smashing Pumpkins 2012
"Don't Look Back In Anger" Oasis 1996
"The Trooper" Iron Maiden 1983
"Paranoid Android" Radiohead 1997
"War Ensemble" Slayer 1990
"Say It Ain't So" Weezer 1995
"Thunder Kiss '65" White Zombie 1992
"Sixteen Saltines" Jack White 2012
"Losing My Religion" R.E.M. 1991
"You Really Got Me" The Kinks 1964
"Bat Country" Avenged Sevenfold 2005
"R U Mine?" Arctic Monkeys 2012
"Blood and Thunder" Mastodon 2004
"Wires" Red Fang 2011
"Rock and Roll All Nite" Kiss 1975
"Love That's Gone" La Sera 2012
"Cemetery Gates" Pantera 1990
"Now" Paramore 2013
"Savior" Rise Against 2009
"Rotten Apple" Screaming Females 2012
"All I Wanna Do" Splashh 2013
"Paint It, Black" The Rolling Stones 1966
"For a Fool" The Shins 2012
"My Generation" The Who 1965
"Wasteland" EarlyRise 2011
"Black Magic" Magic Wands 2012
"Sore Tummy" PAWS 2012
"Knights of Cydonia" Muse 2006
"No More Mr. Nice Guy" Alice Cooper 1973
"Heart-Shaped Box" Nirvana 1993

They also added a LOT of features that were needed in the previous version:
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/66moR9rEauU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-11-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm looking forward to this. The other game definitely helped me learn the basics of guitar playing and I was able to learn how to play a few easy songs. I haven't really stuck with it that much, though.
Old 10-11-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The first game had a lot of potential but a lot of issues got in the way, as such it was tedious as hell to use. Hoping they fixed most of that for 2014.
Old 10-11-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the actual playing part was fine, although it sounds like that was improved as well. Stuff like navigating the menus, selecting songs - all of that was terrible.

I hope it's still possible to create custom tracks for the game. There was a ton of good work out there that was just as well done as the official tracks.
Old 10-11-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everything looks much improved in this edition. The in-game interface looks a lot cleaner and "pops" more. The menus (if the videos are any indication) are almost seamless. And on top of those two things, there's a lot of other cool additions. I can't wait to play the session mode and jam out with a virtual band!

I hope Steam lets you pre-load it sometime soon, as I grabbed it on there a couple months ago for cheap.
Old 10-22-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up Rocksmith 2014 today for the 360. I totally dismissed the first one thinking it was just cashing in on the GH/RB fad, but after watching a review of this I realized there is more to it. I have been playing the guitar for a long time but I haven't learned anything new in 20 years so hopefully this will help. I like the jam session mode so far. At least it got me to get my guitar out of the case again.
Old 10-22-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Loads times are vastly improved, so is the overall setup. Since I hadn't played the original in a while I just cranked out Paint It Black for a while.
Old 10-23-13, 09:24 PM
Political Exile

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm definitely getting RS2014, I'll just wait for it to drop to $40 next month since the quick price drop is inevitable.
Old 10-28-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some YouTube playthroughs: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQQ8...OV7Uf_g/videos

Pretty sure my hand can't move this fast (picking): http://youtu.be/uaHsqGSetVo?t=3m38s
Old 11-01-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, this game is vastly improved over the last version. Menu navigation is faster, song selection is much better, showing finger placement for chords is huge - especially for someone with no guitar experience.
Old 11-01-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Available today on Games on Demand.
Old 11-01-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edstein
Available today on Games on Demand.
Tempted to doubledip so I can play in the living room when my wife is on the PC. Would mean I'd need to go out and get another cable though (which BB has on sale for $7.50 this week).

I think I'll just wait for Bandfuse though. That'll give me another guitar game to play in the living room.
Old 11-01-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question - does this game adjust for leftys?
Old 11-01-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
Question - does this game adjust for leftys?
Absolutely. I'm a lefty, and I've put in nearly 30 hours since last week. You can do lefty mode, and if you want it to be more like tabs, you can reverse the order of the nodes as well (so that the high e is on top). I prefer it the way it normally displays though, so that I'm mirroring what's on screen.
Old 12-13-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoVegan
That's exactly why I just took a look at the latest customs: Rock Band friends in town for Christmas.

Off-topic, but the RS customs thing really took off quickly. I've still been having trouble with a few of them freezing or not starting, but I'm impressed with how many have gotten out there, especially this fast.
A lot of them are conversions from RS1 customs (which had thousands). Also, quite a few of them are probably just tabs quickly converted from some GuitarPro tabs or something they found online.

I'm not a super guitarist yet, and am still working on getting a guitar song up to 100% mastery (I have one song on bass up to 100+%). So I'm mainly focused on songs that have dynamic difficulty. I know that I can slow it down with the new amazing riff repeater, but I'd rather just play through the song and "level it up," as it were.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.