Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rocksmith: The way-official news and discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rocksmith: The way-official news and discussion thread

With the Guitar Hero franchise now out of the equation, Ubisoft thought is was time to release their own guitar-peripheral franchise.

Revealed by Ubisoft VP’s Tony Key in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Rocksmith (scheduled for a September release for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3) will come with a input jack that would enable players to plug in their own real guitar to a console. The French firm is also in talks with Gibson and other guitar makers to sell a $200 game/guitar bundle.

Rocksmith will feature approximately 45 songs from artists such as The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Nirvana and the Animals.

We expect an official announcement from Ubisoft in the next few days, if not later today.
Old 03-15-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: LOL @ Ubisoft: ROCKSMITH new guitar based game Sept. 2012

Too early to predict failure? Besides, it's Ubisoft... this will be $20 in two months after release.
Old 03-15-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.. This is really gonna work. The interface looks fucking horrible! Here are a couple videos.

Old 03-15-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

"The Musician" dude said it right, it's sounds like a tab player. Sorta like Guitar Pro. Which would be cool if they made it so you could import your own tabs. 45 songs of Ubisoft's choice doesn't necessarily interest me. But at least I don't have to buy another plastic guitar to play the game. But it's not really a game, more like a teaching tool....
Old 03-15-11, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand what I'm seeing. There's a black guy playing guitar...
Old 03-15-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I always wanted a game that would actually teach me to play guitar. I haven't kept up with the music genre, but is there anything like that out there, or is this it?
Old 03-15-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I always wanted a game that would actually teach me to play guitar. I haven't kept up with the music genre, but is there anything like that out there, or is this it?
Not sure if serious?
Old 03-15-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Rock Band 3 looks very promising on that front. I'm currently using it to learn, but I'm not far enough in to brag about how much it's taught me yet. An avid guitarist friend of mine played the Squier/game for a little while last night and was kind of in awe about how great a teaching tool it is, so there's that.

Rocksmith could be pretty neat if you already have a guitar and don't feel like buying another one. I wouldn't rule out buying it.
Old 03-15-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do these experiences really help that much though? Do you feel like your real guitar playing skills have improved as a result? I'd be all for it but I'm a bit skeptical...
Old 03-15-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know, this looks pretty solid from these videos. Of course we haven't seen any actual gameplay beyond what's in the background there so it's easy to dismiss it.

But it's a real guitair, not a pseudo-real guitar that toggles into game mode like RB3's. It looks to be reading the analog signals out of the guitar - the stuff that the amp would process and blast out for our ears. If USB microphones can track pitch, I don't see why a device can't be made to turn analog guitar output into digital data for a game to grade. Bonus is that you're actually hearing what you should be hearing coming out of your guitar. It isn't intentionally (and necessarily) muted like RB3's.

Here the fret strings aren't "dead" like they are in RB3 (my understanding). You could, in theory, use capos, drop-tuning, etc. You could fully replicate the song the way it was meant to be played.

It seems certainly possible to this non-guitarist, non-musician, moderately-adept-plastic-guitarist. I look forward to hearing more about it.
Old 03-15-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Not sure if serious?
I'm serious. The only game I owned was Rock Band Beatles because someone bought it for me.
Old 03-15-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ubisoft just announced this via Tweet:

Originally Posted by @Ubisoft
Introducing Rocksmith! The first game that you can play with ANY guitar. Find out more at http://ubi.li/5cAk and join the ROCK REVOLUTION!
Old 03-15-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
It's obviously a bass guitar right?
Old 03-15-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ubisoft just announced this via Tweet:
Something tells me Konami didn't even bother to copyright that phrase. Probably wouldn't have broken even.
Old 03-15-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I don't know, this looks pretty solid from these videos. Of course we haven't seen any actual gameplay beyond what's in the background there so it's easy to dismiss it.

But it's a real guitair, not a pseudo-real guitar that toggles into game mode like RB3's. It looks to be reading the analog signals out of the guitar - the stuff that the amp would process and blast out for our ears. If USB microphones can track pitch, I don't see why a device can't be made to turn analog guitar output into digital data for a game to grade. Bonus is that you're actually hearing what you should be hearing coming out of your guitar. It isn't intentionally (and necessarily) muted like RB3's.

Here the fret strings aren't "dead" like they are in RB3 (my understanding). You could, in theory, use capos, drop-tuning, etc. You could fully replicate the song the way it was meant to be played.
Maybe it'll work like Guitar Rig or Amplitube. With all kinds of different amp models and effects. And allow you to play without following along with their songs. I need to know more.
Old 03-15-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bonus is that it should work just fine with the RB3 Squier in non-RB mode. So when it drops to $5 during the ROCK REVOLUTION, it'll be a no-brainer.
Old 03-16-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm serious. The only game I owned was Rock Band Beatles because someone bought it for me.
That would be cool if they released a game that would. I remember owning the Nintendo piano game that came with an actual piano that taught you how to play real piano!
Old 03-16-11, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks dumb. Like I'm going to buy this game based on Eric Robert's stepson's recommendation.
Old 03-23-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by covenant
With all kinds of different amp models and effects.
From their facebook page: Rocksmith comes with a TON of built in effects pedals that you can customize to your liking.

Sounding good so far.
Old 04-20-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/20/fi...t-out-of-sxsw/

If we were Ubisoft, we would have picked Austin's South by Southwest event as the location for the first demonstration of Rocksmith as well. During that week in March, it would have been impossible to find a person who wasn't totally thrilled about anything involving a guitar.

So keep in mind that many of the people interviewed in this trailer (after the break) were already in high spirits (and possibly high on spirits) when they tried Ubisoft's real-guitar-compatible music game. At least you'll be able to see the game for yourself -- the first gameplay footage is contained within, too.

Rocksmith looks to feature a traditional Rock Band/Guitar Hero interface, with the guitar's strings represented vertically on top of the note chart. It's harder to explain it than it is to tell you to just watch the video.

<embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple/4a7f03a3/" width="437" height="266" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed>
Old 04-20-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Black Guy Mode is Ubisoft's version of Pro Mode.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="638" height="386" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_mHYazL-d70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-02-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.platformnation.com/2011/0...-for-rocksmith

If you aren’t aware, Rocksmith is going to be the first and only video game that plugs into and uses a real guitar. Yes, you can literally plug it straight into your guitar and it works in game, which is fantastic for musicians that don’t want those plastic guitars lying around the house, that’s so 2010.

Unfortunately you will actually need some skill on “real” guitar to play this game, and with a setlist like the one below, you’ll wish that you could play. Check it out:

• Best Coast – When I’m With You
• Blur – Song 2
• The Black Keys – Next Girl
• The Boxer Rebellion – Step Out Of The Car
• Cream – Sunshine Of Your Love
• The Cribs – We Share The Same Skies
• The Cure – Boys Don’t Cry
• Jenny O – Well OK Honey
• Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
• Nirvana – Breed
• Pixies – Where Is My Mind?
• Radiohead – High and Dry
• Red Fang – Number Thirteen
• The Rolling Stones – The Spider and the Fly
• Silversun Pickups – Panic Switch
• Soundgarden – Outshined
• Spoon – Me and The Bean
• Stone Temple Pilots – Vasoline
• Taddy Porter – Mean Bitch
• Titus Andronicus – A More Perfect Union
• White Denim – Burnished
• The White Stripes – Icky Thump
• Yellow Moon Band – Chimney

This is including the already announced songs:

• The Animals – House of the Rising Sun
• The Black Keys – I Got Mine
• David Bowie – Rebel Rebel
• Interpol – Slow Hands
• Nirvana – In Bloom
• The Rolling Stones – (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

The game automatically adjusts to the players skills and will be fun for skilled musicians or those picking up a guitar for the first time.

Rocksmith is slated to be released in Fall 2011 for $79.99, including a unique quarter-inch to USB cable allowing users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack into their Xbox 360, PS3 or PC.
$20 premium for a cable? Shouldn't they be eating that cost? Some cojones, that's for sure.
Old 06-02-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
$20 premium for a cable? Shouldn't they be eating that cost? Some cojones, that's for sure.
It's an Ubisoft game. It'll drop down to $60 (or lower) within the first two weeks.
Old 06-02-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully, the fact that there is a new Radiohead track in this game means that we'll have more Radiohead in Rock Band soon, 'cause I'm damn sure not buying another music game at this point.
Old 10-16-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Games comes out this Tuesday. Anyone taking a chance picking it up? I'm tempted but at $80 I'm not sure. This really should have been $60 with the cable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.