Rocksmith: The way-official news and discussion thread

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rocksmith: The way-official news and discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: LOL @ Ubisoft: ROCKSMITH new guitar based game Sept. 2012

Originally Posted by edstein
Games comes out this Tuesday. Anyone taking a chance picking it up? I'm tempted but at $80 I'm not sure. This really should have been $60 with the cable.
No way in Hell, I'll be sinking all of my time into Batman...then MW3...then Skyrim...etc... By the time I play through the pre-holiday titles this game will be $14.99
Old 10-16-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have a copy sometime this week...
Old 10-16-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really hope this is good. I'd like to learn to play guitar better and this looks like a fun way to learn.
Old 10-16-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts

I don't know if this will totally make sense, but I think this game is such a niche product that for those who actually want the game are probably not going to be dissuaded by a $20 surcharge. If you want this game, you're probably not a core gamer but rather a musician. If you've spent hundreds on an electric guitar and are really wanting to play it with your gaming system, I don't imagine that price would be too big a factor. Don't get me wrong : I think the game tanks, but some folks will pick it up regardless.
Old 10-16-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Games comes out this Tuesday. Anyone taking a chance picking it up? I'm tempted but at $80 I'm not sure. This really should have been $60 with the cable.
My kneejerk reaction when I first heard about the concept was "::haughty scoff!:: no!" As it turns out, though...? The pre-release buzz -- once people started playing it -- has been enormously positive, and the videos that have been floating around have me very, very excited. That I can use a real guitar (not limited to Rock Band's grossly overpriced and not-as-playable-as-I'd-like Squier) and that it adapts to my skillz rather than using a pre-defined difficulty level...oh, just all-around sounds great.

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the on-disc playlist, and I agree that it's at least slightly overpriced. Especially considering that Rocksmith doesn't have to go through some of the same hassles Rock Band and Guitar Hero do...they're not digging up original audio stems and rebuilding songs track-by-track or anything, the charting is presumably a lot more straightforward, and there aren't nearly as many songs on the disc...I really don't think the price is justified, cable or no. Plus it's Ubisoft, so it'll be 60% off in a few weeks.

If not for Arkham City coming out this week, I could see myself grabbing it right now. One other problem: I'm torn about which console I'd buy it on. The 360 is my 'upstairs' console, and the PS3 is my 'downstairs' console. I'd have a little more privacy playing upstairs, so I could sound terrible and no one would really know, but my big sound system is downstairs, so if I got to a point where I sounded okay, that's where I'd wanna be. My other hesitation is that the PC version is coming out next month. I mean, you've gotta think there'll be a community of people who will just take tabs and MP3s and figure out some way to make new songs. I'm guessing there'll be a much wider variety of songs on the PC as people figure out the right hacks, plus they'd be available for free rather than premium DLC.

I'm pretty confident I'm buying the game...just haven't decided when yet. We'll see how impulsive I get once it's actually on store shelves.

For anyone wondering what the on-disc list is:

Best Coast – “When I’m With You”
Blur – “Song 2″
Cream – “Sunshine Of Your Love”
Dan Auerbach – “I Want Some More”
David Bowie – “Rebel Rebel”
Eric Clapton – “Run Back To Your Side”
Franz Ferdinand – “Take Me Out”
Incubus – “I Miss You”
Interpol – “Slow Hands”
Jarvis Cocker – “Angela”
Jenny O -”Well OK Honey”
Kings Of Leon “Use Somebody”
Lenny Kravitz – “Are You Gonna Go My Way”
Little Barrie – “Surf Hell”
Lynyrd Skynyrd – “Sweet Home Alabama”
Muse – “Plug In Baby”
Muse – “Unnatural Selection”
Nirvana – “Breed”
Nirvana – “In Bloom”
Radiohead – “High And Dry”
Red Fang – “Number Thirteen”
Silversun Pickups – “Panic Switch”
Soundgarden – “Outshined”
Spoon – “Me And The Bean”
Stone Temple Pilots – “Between The Lines”
Stone Temple Pilots – “Vasoline”
Taddy Porter – “Mean B.i.t.c.h”
The Animals – “House of the Rising Sun”
The Black Keys – “I Got Mine”
The Black Keys – “Next Girl”
The Boxer Rebellion – “Step Out Of The Car”
The Cribs – “We Share The Same Skies”
The Cure – “Boys Don’t Cry
The Dead Weather – “I Can’t Hear You”
The Horrors – “Do You Remember”
The Pixies – “Where’s Is My Mind”
Queens of the Stone Age – “Go With The Flow”
Rapscallions – “California Brain”
Red Hot Chili Peppers “Higher Ground”
The Rolling Stones – “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”
The Rolling Stones – “Play With Fire”
The Rolling Stones – “The Spider And the Fly”
The Strokes – “Under Cover Of Darkness”
Sigur Rós – “Gobbledigook”
The White Stripes – “Icky Thump”
The Yellow Moon Band – “Chimney”
Titus Andronicus – “A More Perfect Union”
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – “Good Enough”
Velvet Revolver – “Slither”
VsThem – “6AM Salvation”
White Denim – “Burnished”
The xx – “Islands”
Not a bad list at all, but it's a lot of "oh, yeah, that's pretty good" type songs and not all that much in the way of "I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!"s.

There are also a few bonus songs, but they're not from anyone I've ever heard of. I mean, they could turn out to be awesome, but they're not a selling point, so I guess there's no real point in listing them here. I could've copied and pasted them in the time it took me to write that, but whatever.

Gamestop preorders get a $25 Guitar Center voucher along with Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" and Radiohead's "Bodysnatchers".

Best Buy preorders get more pedals to use in the game.

DLC is supposed to be available at launch, I think, but there's no word on what that'll be yet. Bass support will be available as DLC at some point too, and considering this recent purchase o' mine, I really, really can't wait for that:

Edit: Bit the bullet and ordered it for the PS3.
Old 10-17-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could maybe see myself getting this game after it drops a bit. I do happen to own a decent electric guitar that gets no use because I well...suck. No point sugar coating it. I have a decent voice, however guitar playing is not my forte. So if this game has a decent (make that good) learning interface, I would be willing to give it a shot. The songs don't really excite me either, but there is enough there that I would be willing to learn from.
Old 10-17-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While the song list does not include my favorites its worlds better than the songs in my basic guitar lesson book.
Old 10-17-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't even realize this was coming out already. I have an electric guitar I bought like 8 years ago to try to learn to play and couldn't do it, so it's been sitting in it's case ever since. I liked all the GH/RB games but got totally burnt out on them. When I tried last time, all the methods of learning w/o paying for lessons were boring as hell. So in that regard, $80 seems like a steal if it would actually work and be fun.
Old 10-17-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wzmz8KGy4GI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I never played Guitar Hero but this game does sound interesting for guitar playing.
Old 10-17-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Target near my house had this out already yesterday.
Old 10-17-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting this too, but I'll probably wait for the PC version.
Old 10-18-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
My kneejerk reaction when I first heard about the concept was "::haughty scoff!:: no!" As it turns out, though...? The pre-release buzz -- once people started playing it -- has been enormously positive, and the videos that have been floating around have me very, very excited. That I can use a real guitar (not limited to Rock Band's grossly overpriced and not-as-playable-as-I'd-like Squier) and that it adapts to my skillz rather than using a pre-defined difficulty level...oh, just all-around sounds great.

On the other hand, I'm not crazy about the on-disc playlist, and I agree that it's at least slightly overpriced. Especially considering that Rocksmith doesn't have to go through some of the same hassles Rock Band and Guitar Hero do...they're not digging up original audio stems and rebuilding songs track-by-track or anything, the charting is presumably a lot more straightforward, and there aren't nearly as many songs on the disc...I really don't think the price is justified, cable or no. Plus it's Ubisoft, so it'll be 60% off in a few weeks.

If not for Arkham City coming out this week, I could see myself grabbing it right now. One other problem: I'm torn about which console I'd buy it on. The 360 is my 'upstairs' console, and the PS3 is my 'downstairs' console. I'd have a little more privacy playing upstairs, so I could sound terrible and no one would really know, but my big sound system is downstairs, so if I got to a point where I sounded okay, that's where I'd wanna be. My other hesitation is that the PC version is coming out next month. I mean, you've gotta think there'll be a community of people who will just take tabs and MP3s and figure out some way to make new songs. I'm guessing there'll be a much wider variety of songs on the PC as people figure out the right hacks, plus they'd be available for free rather than premium DLC.

I'm pretty confident I'm buying the game...just haven't decided when yet. We'll see how impulsive I get once it's actually on store shelves.

For anyone wondering what the on-disc list is:

Not a bad list at all, but it's a lot of "oh, yeah, that's pretty good" type songs and not all that much in the way of "I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!"s.

There are also a few bonus songs, but they're not from anyone I've ever heard of. I mean, they could turn out to be awesome, but they're not a selling point, so I guess there's no real point in listing them here. I could've copied and pasted them in the time it took me to write that, but whatever.

Gamestop preorders get a $25 Guitar Center voucher along with Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" and Radiohead's "Bodysnatchers".

Best Buy preorders get more pedals to use in the game.

DLC is supposed to be available at launch, I think, but there's no word on what that'll be yet. Bass support will be available as DLC at some point too, and considering this recent purchase o' mine, I really, really can't wait for that:

Edit: Bit the bullet and ordered it for the PS3.

This is ubisoft and a music game. Not even taking into account that the songs on the disc are kind of meh, and the fact that this needs a real guitar which not everyone has nor will likely buy just for this game I see this being 30 or 40 bucks on black friday so I may wait.

By the way, here are my babies, not nearly as nice as yours but they work fine for me.

Edit. Doh and not only that, yours is a bass lol. I must be tired to have not caught that.

Old 10-18-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm only through the first event, but I'm having a blast with Rocksmith so far. Um, I'm not very good, though.
Old 10-18-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How is the lag? That's the deal breaker.
Old 10-18-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Well, I bought it for my Xbox 360 which I have outside of my main home theater, and I have it connected directly to the TV via RCA if I don't feel like using optical through my upstairs receiver. I haven't had a problem with lag. Whenever it first says to start strumming, there's some slight lag, but after a couple strums, it seems to even out. My scores definitely haven't dropped off from lag. I also haven't touched any of the tools to adjust lag.
Old 10-20-11, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I bought it as I've been hearing such good things about it. Was busy with Batman AC tonight but I will tear into it tomorrow and post my thoughts.
Old 10-20-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at some of The Deft Gamer's videos of this, and I noticed that when they show the strings, the one on top is the low E string and it goes from there. That kinda makes sense since it's the highest string if you were behind the guitar and looking through it as you hold it. But, it seems to me that it's going to look strange for chords, because I'm used to seeing them with the neck displayed vertically. When they show chords in this game, when I tilt my head to look at the neck vertically they're going to appear backwards. Does the game allow you to reverse the order of the displayed strings?
Old 10-20-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I haven't tried this, but I'm pretty sure I read on the thread at the rockband.com forums that you can flip the order so that high E is at the top.
Old 10-20-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
I looked at some of The Deft Gamer's videos of this, and I noticed that when they show the strings, the one on top is the low E string and it goes from there. That kinda makes sense since it's the highest string if you were behind the guitar and looking through it as you hold it. But, it seems to me that it's going to look strange for chords, because I'm used to seeing them with the neck displayed vertically. When they show chords in this game, when I tilt my head to look at the neck vertically they're going to appear backwards. Does the game allow you to reverse the order of the displayed strings?
I haven't messed with sheet music or tabs for awhile so I didn't notice that but now that you mention it you are right. Any tab or music I've seen has the high E on the top and Low E on the bottom. If I was into tabs and such then that would be a problem. I would hope they have some option in there for that. For god sakes according to the developer it supports Drop D tuning so no idea why they wouldn't include flipping the neck on it.

Edit. I just checked the options and it IS there.
In options go to Game Options then String Layout. It is on Standard by default but you can Invert it to standard tab specs.
Old 10-20-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just played around a bit with the mini games and wow. I played the zombie one where you kill them before they get to you by playing the right chord and it was awesome. I think this is going to help me with my chords and chord changes more than anything else i could do.
Old 10-20-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just played through the first "event" as a complete noob to guitar playing. I nailed the two songs, so I got an encore of Angela...which I didn't see prior to then, and sucked. Now, my finger tips are too sore to even consider playing more tonight. But, from what I've seen - it could be possible to learn something here.
Old 10-20-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I just played through the first "event" as a complete noob to guitar playing. I nailed the two songs, so I got an encore of Angela...which I didn't see prior to then, and sucked. Now, my finger tips are too sore to even consider playing more tonight. But, from what I've seen - it could be possible to learn something here.
I know what you mean. I don't necessarily feel that I've done well YET, but i think eventually it will click.

My index finger feels like it's going to bleed after the slide exercises. I really need to get some of that stuff you put on the strings to make them slicker.
Old 10-21-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

i might have to pick this up for the PS3 when it goes on sale/clearance. sounds kind of cool. often when i practice guitar or bass i cant think of what to play so a game like this could be great
Old 10-21-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

So this is good for absolute beginners? that have never picked up a real guitar, and can't read any sheet music?
Old 10-21-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joeblow69
So this is good for absolute beginners? that have never picked up a real guitar, and can't read any sheet music?
Ive been taking lessons for 6 or 7 months but i'm still not all that good yet as I honestly hate practicing and can't find a lot of time to do it. I played this for 3 hours last night and my fingers are killing me. This is an extremely fun way to learn and it does teach well. I'm already doing better after only 1 day. I can't read actual sheet music at all, everything confuses the hell out of me. I can read tab but that is easy anyways, just numbers on strings.

I would say that yes, this could be an awesome learning tool. i haven't gotten into it much yet, but there is a lot of potential here. I think it is well worth the 80 bucks now. Rock band 3 is still a game, but this is mainly meant for teaching so don't listen to the reviews about presentation, this wasn't really meant to be a game so much as a way to teach guitar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.