Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battlefield Talk (PS3)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battlefield Talk (PS3)

Originally Posted by DVDChris
This was pretty funny. Too bad you guys segregated yourselves in the PS3 thread.
Nothing new there.

This gang has been doing it's own thing since the beginning of 2009 in Warhawk, CoD, Battlefield, NCAA, Burnout Paradise, and several others, and this thread was around way before BF3.
Old 11-22-11, 06:29 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Without pointing fingers at anyone here for using the term (honestly, I'm not), I feel compelled to say this because I hear it often in BFBC2 (when randoms actually use their mics) and BF3 (when the mics actually work and randoms actually use 'em) and it's a frustrating element to my gaming experience...

I am so very uncomfortable with the term "base rape." I know too many women who have been sexually assaulted for me to casually use the term "rape" in other contexts, especially to describe ten minutes worth of frustration in a video game. I think there are a lot of young male gamers out there who likely use the term and don't think anything about it. Some of them will have someone in their lives who will be raped and of those many will likely suffer in silence and I'm left wondering whether those young men will be able to change their habits. Will it only be once they know they know someone who's been sexually assaulted or will they not get it? I don't care how "similar" the two acts are in terms of some of the official definitions for the term; using it to describe a phenomenon in a video game diminishes the horror someone goes through both during and after being raped.

I use "base camp" or "spawn camp" instead.

Last edited by story; 11-22-11 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-22-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure...it's all fun and games until you know a spawn who's been camped.

At any rate, none of them are what I'm really describing anyway. The only way to spawn camp in either of these games is if you find a spawn beacon...which I'm a bit ashamed to say that I've done...or if you have all of the objectives, you can press on their base.

I'm simply talking about maps that bottleneck in a way that makes objectives almost impossible to get to and makes the match frustrating or boring for all involved.
Old 11-22-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw some of you guys playing squad Rush...tried to join, but...yeah.

Then I kicked some serious butt solo on Kharg Island...went 10 and 5 (one of which was a suicide bomb to take out a tank)...grabbed a ton of objectives and had some pretty sweet plays all around including a couple of savior kills and a dogtag...got the win and the MVP medal by about 1300 points...and leveled up.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...7/4/190358317/

Hope you guys had a good time.

Edit to add: I must be thick, because I can't for the life of me figure out how to make Chew my primary clan.
Old 11-22-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@ spatula: I'm playing with programming the stats bar, and it's sloppy but I'm coming close to cracking it.

You were right about the silver one being better...just wish it were more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 11-23-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I must be thick, because I can't for the life of me figure out how to make Chew my primary clan.
On the battlelog website, click profile at the top, then edit profile on the left side, then in the soldier settings section there's an avatar type picture, and right next to it is an empty text box. Type it in there.

Last edited by 19K; 11-23-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Without pointing fingers at anyone here for using the term (honestly, I'm not), I feel compelled to say this because I hear it often in BFBC2 (when randoms actually use their mics) and BF3 (when the mics actually work and randoms actually use 'em) and it's a frustrating element to my gaming experience...
I've thought the same thing on a couple of occasions, yet still used the term. I've also struggled to decide what to say instead. I like your alternate terms.

Also, on an unrelated note, as I mentioned about Operation Metro, I've played that at LEAST 16 times in a row without my deployment being on the Alpha side of the map. For some reason the Charlie side frustrates me most. Further, I guess the only way I'll enjoy playing this map is if I have Spatula and Octo on my squad. They were a big part of the reason why my losing streak on that PoS came to a temporary halt last night.
Old 11-23-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lately I seem to always be deploying from the Charlie side too. I've been on a lucky winning streak with good teams though so I'm not complaining. Plus I've historically had a much lower success rate from the alpha side, which seems odd to me. You would think the team going down into the subway would have the advantage, but that is very rarely the case in the games I've been a part of. Very odd.
Old 11-23-11, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chess

Edit to add: I must be thick, because I can't for the life of me figure out how to make Chew my primary clan.
Select "profile" from the top menu bar.
Select "edit" from the left sidebar.
Enter clan tag into the appropriate box.
Old 11-23-11, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thx...did that last night...was looking for a button or something on the clan page or my profile
Old 11-24-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Om. Nom.

Old 11-24-11, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A work in progress, and I'll make improvements, but I think it covers the stuff we care about. Pulled and tweaked from another public design.

Anyway, it's a start.

Edit: testing to see what different classes and ranks look like as I move stuff around.

Has favorite weapon, vehicle, equipment and class...MVP and Ace Squad ribbons...dogtags...and K/D & W/L ratios.

Last edited by chess; 11-24-11 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice job Chess! That looks pretty sweet. My only suggestion would be for favorite vehicle... I'd rather see a kills stat than time spent in one.
Old 11-24-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 19K
Nice job Chess! That looks pretty sweet. My only suggestion would be for favorite vehicle... I'd rather see a kills stat than time spent in one.
Done...just took a few minutes to figure out how to edit the code. It also occurred to me how wide the Colonel eagle was, so I thought I'd better use yours as the template and shift all of the ribbons and stats to the right.

Here's the new version (ones above should edit as well...just refresh if they don't):

And just so you guys know, here's the original, reflecting the tweaks I've made...took 4-5 hours to sort out how the code works, but the actual work was probably only about an hour or two. I liked this one, but it was missing K/D and W/L ratios, and it had some stats that I don't think we care as much about. Will probably try to figure out how to show the bar for rank progression.

Last edited by chess; 11-24-11 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome work! I think it looks great. Nice and clean and easy to read.
Old 11-24-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks...ended up spending much more time on it than I intended...little OCD I guess.

Added some stuff that hopefully doesn't clutter it up too much:
  • Country Flag (changes based on where you're from)
  • System (PSN for us, but changes to PC and 360)
  • Score Per Minute (pretty good measure of aggressiveness/effectiveness)
  • Favorite Class (the character)
  • Rank and progress to next rank
  • Favorite weapon and service stars (if any)
  • Favorite vehicle
  • Favorite equipment (grenades for most, but I want to track C4 kills)
  • Dogtags
  • The obvious stats (kills/deaths/wins/losses)

Few things I toyed with:
  • Integrating [Chew] in there somewhere
  • Integrating the clan symbol
  • Calling "Dogtags" something else like "Wookies" or "Wookies Stabbed"

Ultimately, I'm pretty happy with it. Here's the final product:

Last edited by chess; 11-24-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@ spatula: can you make the background on the clan symbol black? If so, I can integrate it...doesn't look clean when i do it now.
Old 11-26-11, 01:35 PM

OG did some amazing work. Added the black background and I tweaked it by increasing everything's size and centering everything and tossed in my want to have some of that original BFBC2 orange | gray | blue color combo scheme in there. I can change it back if people aren't into the orange but I dig it. The only other change I think that would be good is to maybe make the skull a little smaller and bump up the lettering to make way for a slightly larger knife.

Chess (and others), would it be funny to use "OMNOM" on the stats graphic instead of "Dogtags"?

Last edited by story; 11-26-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it's great...see if I can work it in there somewhere.

Don't change the post 2 stuff just yet...might make and publish a second version with the emblem...hate for you to edit twice.
Old 11-26-11, 02:25 PM

Oops, I already edited it last night. No worries; doesn't take long.

Incidentally, if you're still editing and open to ideas, I dig that "vehicles destroyed" stat from the last graphic we used, though that may just be because I've blown up so many.
Old 11-26-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Without:

With:

I could go either way. I think it might look a little cleaner without, and there's more room for longer names. I also might have to adjust to the right a bit to avoid overlap of the logo with the engineer's gun

I originally wanted to put the logo in the bottom right corner or under the "Battlefield 3" logo, but it was too small. Alternatively, I could just do a pure black background and put it in the top right corner.
Old 11-26-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Third option...think I can clean up the clan logo a bit on this one...just dropping it in as a demo.:

I still lean toward the first one with the Battlefield logo and no clan tag.

Last edited by chess; 11-26-11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Incidentally, if you're still editing and open to ideas, I dig that "vehicles destroyed" stat from the last graphic we used, though that may just be because I've blown up so many.
Sort of replaced by favorite equipment, which was already part of the code I borrowed...but for me, C-4 kills kind of are vehicles destroyed.

Space, as I'm sure you can imagine is always the limiting factor...and I also don't know how they coded that. See what I can do.

Tools aren't exactly user friendly...sometime for grins, I'll copy and paste the code in here for you guys.
Old 11-26-11, 08:11 PM

The second option isn't showing up.

My bro, Octo_Motoko, picked up BFBC2 and he and I played last night. My first time since BF3 came out and it was a blast, though very, very difficult to find a game with over six players total (finally found one that was 9 on 9). His comment was that it felt cartoony in comparison and I agree but that's a good thing, I think. BF3 is so serious and while that lighting is realistic and amazing, I kind of dig the "everything is brightly lit" BFBC2 lighting.

Chess, can you add him the the BFBC2 legacy stats as a DVDTalker? http://bfbcs.com/stats_ps3/Octo_Motoko
Old 11-27-11, 12:53 AM

Here's a battle report from a fun run with Octo and ZxTool on Operation Metro on Friday night. I put up a spawn beacon on Bravo and earned my first Squad Wipe Ribbon because the enemies kept spawning right by the beacon. It was delicious. I'm learning more and more how to defend Bravo and holding it is getting easier.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...1/4/301480411/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.