Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead Island

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 450 Likes on 315 Posts
Re: Dead Island

I loved the parts of the game in the resort, hated the parts in the sewers, the city parts were okay.
Old 04-19-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I wish the whole game was as open and sandboxy as the resort portion. Bethesda needs to make an open world zombie apocalypse game.
Old 04-19-12, 10:16 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Yeah, I wish the whole game was as open and sandboxy as the resort portion. Bethesda needs to make an open world zombie apocalypse game.
they already have zombie dlc for Red Dead...how about the Red Dead team work on a zombie open world game?
Old 04-20-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Since they won't release it for the PC, no.
Old 05-22-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

on sale for $11.99 on Steam today
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91310/
Old 05-22-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead Island Game of the Year edition is coming!
This new edition gives players who are yet to experience the mega hit Dead Island a version packed with content: including the “Bloodbath Arena” mode, the “Ryder White” story line and the weapon blueprint for “The Ripper”. This complete Dead Island package includes all the gripping extra content that was previously only available digitally...

Out June 26 in the States.
Old 05-22-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably still a better idea to get it from steam today, on PC. $20 for the game + all DLC.
Old 05-22-12, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Probably still a better idea to get it from steam today, on PC. $20 for the game + all DLC.
That was not in response to your bump, believe it or not. Just a coincidence.
Old 06-21-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did anyone play through the DLC in this game yet? Does it add anything to the main story or is it just side type missions and weapon stuff? Trying to figure out if I should take back my copy I didn't open yet and upgrade to the GOTY edition.
Old 06-21-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I played through the arena DLC. It adds nothing to the story, just a horde mode and some extra weapons you don't really need. I didn't play through Ryder White, but I never heard anything good about it. I'd say keep your copy. And play it, because the game is a lot of fun.

Last edited by MoviePage; 06-21-12 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the GOTY edition from Amazon ($20) yesterday and played a few hours last night. I've gotta say, this is a really fun game. It feels a little bit like Fallout 3/Borderlands but in a really pretty environment...and with mostly melee combat, which I've gotta say, is really visceral and fun.

Last night I slid down a cliff into an area where I don't think I was supposed to be yet. I stumbled across a truck and was able to drive back to the area I was supposed to be in, road killing zombies the whole way there. I even did a mission or two on the way, often using the truck in ways I'm sure it wasn't meant to be used. Super fun.

If anybody else has the PS3 edition, I'd be interested in doing some co-op.
Old 01-02-13, 05:05 PM

Anyone still playing this on Xbox? I picked the GOTY edition for $8 on Black Friday. I really like it and I just need to get through Bloodbath Arena Wave 30 on co-op to finish the achievements off. I thought I'd see if anyone here would want to go through it with me. It shouldn't take very long at all.
Old 01-02-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

Yes. I've been playing it for the past month with a buddy co-op. I've gotta say, it's a really fun game. I mean the control mechanics are often terrible, but it's got a good story. Well worth the $8 I spent on it.
Old 06-06-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts

Started this last week, first time playing.

Fuck Act II was a tough bitch compared to Act I. The difficulty just fucking ramps up as I level up. I'm about to start The Jungle. I'm about level 43, have all side missions done up to that point. Same frustrations that have been mentioned I also have. After loving the first Act playing, Act II made me want to quit, but I've struck through. Love finding Orange/Purple Weapons and modifying them. Hope that the game gets better and less frustrating.
Old 06-07-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jungle is such a breeze, a complete opposite of ACT II. Currently at Level 46 around 80% complete. Doing missions at the lab...
Old 06-12-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished it yesterday, loved it. Now I wanna play Riptide.

Purna level 52 [I didn't know about the level cap raised to 60... After getting to 50 I was bummed that my character wouldn't level up anymore, but I saw my meter continue going up and check on net to see what was up... ]

49H 32M 06s
133 completed quest [I know I missed one in the Prison at the end]
100% zones explored
43% challenges
68% achievements [can't do the ARENA ones now have to start again]
171 DEATHS
Old 02-01-14, 07:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thing just went free on XBL. yay for those that never got it.

Was hoping for something else to be free
Old 02-01-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This game is a lot more fun if you can find someone to play through with
Old 02-24-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I'm liking this game a lot more than the Dead Rising games. The Timer for solving shit in Dead Rising was a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-03-16, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dead Island Definitive Collection launches on May 31 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. It will include "fully remastered" and "greatly improved" versions of Dead Island, Dead Island: Riptide, DLC from both games, and a bonus game, Dead Island: Retro Revenge. It should be noted Escape Dead Island is absent from this collection.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/...tion-announced
Old 03-05-16, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dead Island: Definitive Edition (SRP: $39.99/€39.99/£29.99) has been officially confirmed by Deep Silver, along with the May 31st release date and confirmation that both Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide will receive standalone releases ($19.99/€19.99/£14.99) on the same date.

Here's some bullet-points:

Higher Quality Textures
Game textures have been redone in a higher resolution and the level of quality has been improved across the board

Photorealistic new lighting system

The lighting system in the game has been vastly improved, providing a much more realistic look, enhancing the stunning tropical setting

Physically based shading
The introduction of new physically based shading techniques due to the latest iteration of the Chrome Engine means a higher quality look to the game models and objects as they react in a more realistic way to various lighting conditions

Image quality enhancements via anti-aliasing
The addition of more sophisticated anti-aliasing means that console players can now experience Dead Island without unsightly “jaggies“ – meaning a much cleaner look throughout

Improved-quality game models and geometry assets

All major geometry assets (for example: NPCs and character models) highlight a marked quality increase

HBAO and motion blur effects
The introduction of Horizon-based Ambient Occlusion adds an extra layer of depth and realism to the world

Through a better implementation of object shadows, while the all-new motion blur effects will provide a much more cinematic feel to the game experience.

Updated game UI
Providing a more consistent look between both Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide. Increase to equal quality level for seamless game experience.

The Current-gen Console Experience
The Dead Island Redux Collection will also of course take advantage of the latest console features such as Online 4 Player Co-op, PS Vita Remote-Play (PS4), Share-Play (PS4), streaming and recording

Power Fists Power-up
And last but not least, The fan favourite unofficial PC mod will also now be added to both products. Punch your way through the mayhem with craziest power-up ever!

But wait there’s more! Added into the mix of flesh-eating zombie chaos is a brand new side-scrolling/endless runner action game Dead Island Retro Revenge!

Retro look meets melee-based combat
Featuring leaderboards, achievements and plenty of depth
Game mechanics include power-ups, super attacks and a combo system

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news...nching-in-May-[Updated].html
Old 03-05-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish this had split screen co-op, I'd be all over it!
Old 05-10-23, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 168 Posts

I really really really liked the Dead Island 2 videos I've seen but I just can't spend $80 on a non-endless game (i.e. non-Diablo), so I got the Dead Island Definitive Collection (DI + DLC, DI Riptide + DLC, DI Retro) for $6.39. I can't wait. Currently that price on Steam. Based on this thread I'll enjoy my time on the island. I can't wait to get DI2 Gold eventually.