Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
re: Official PS Vita / PlayStation TV Thread

Originally Posted by Brewc
Ok, you get an 8gb card on the 22nd, a 4gb memory card with early bundle, is that right? Gamestop is only giving $70 for 3DS plus extra $25 if going to Vita, was it this low before?
Yes, there's a week-early 3g/WiFi bundle with Little Deviants and a 4GB card on Wed for $350 and the 3G/Wifi + 8 GB card + PSN game download bundle for $300 as well as a bare bones WiFi model without any storage for $250 -- both those coming the 22nd. General consensus is that the $300 bundle is the best deal, especially at "that site" for $240.
Old 02-12-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume that the First Edition bundle with 3G also comes with the free PSN game download since the only requirement for that is doing one month of AT&T.
Old 02-12-12, 03:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I won't pay $15 for the 3G to get the game. I'm with AT&T now for my phone and they don't deserve any more of my money.
Old 02-12-12, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So the free game is pretty meh. Spend $15 get a month + a free game. Not sure I'd ever use the 3G for anything (I, like everyone else, has a cell phone with a data plan).
Again, there's no requirement to spend $15, only one to redeem the free Data Plan in order to get the free game with activation of the Data Plan. At least that's what the fine print says. Bid it required purchase of a data plan, it would have to say so, I suspect.

Originally Posted by TLwizard
I assume that the First Edition bundle with 3G also comes with the free PSN game download since the only requirement for that is doing one month of AT&T.
That's a risky assumption. Nowhere on the First Edition box does it indicate a free game or a free month of Data Plan. You may need to redeem the free month of data to get the free game.

Last edited by Decker; 02-12-12 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Again, there's no requirement to spend $15, only one to redeem the free Data Plan in order to get the free game with activation of the Data Plan. At least that's what the fine print says. Bid it required purchase of a data plan, it would have to say so, I suspect.

That's a risky assumption. Nowhere on the First Edition box does it indicate a free game or a free month of Data Plan. You may need to redeem the free month of data to get the free game.
My understanding is:
spend $15 for first month
after that, you can redeem your free month + game.

If you don't spend $15, you don't get the free game. Id love to be wrong.

So for me, there is no $55 of extra value. It's just $30 for an overpriced, proprietary (like Sony would have it any other way) 8GB memory card.
Old 02-12-12, 05:48 PM
Banned by request

Unless you get it from ILoveButtPlugsInMyButt.com and then you can get it for the same price as the Wifi version.
Old 02-12-12, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Unless you get it from ILoveButtPlugsInMyButt.com and then you can get it for the same price as the Wifi version.
No, he was saying that there's only $55 of value if you use the AT&T data plan (which is correct), otherwise all you get out of the bundle (assuming you don't want to have the ability to go 3G later) is the overpriced memory card that retails for $30.

That said, I still don't agree with Gizmo's assessment that you need to spend $15 before you get the free 250 MB plan. That wouldn't be Free and would have to be clearly spelled out on the box if they didn't want to get sued and killed in the press.

Here's what Endgate wrote about the free game deal (which, for TLW, does indicate that purchasers of the Launch Bundle also get the free game).

Sony reveals new 3G/WiFi PS Vita bundles: free data, PSN games and memory cards for everyone

By Michael Gorman posted Jan 27th 2012 4:41PM

Sony's PlayStation Vita hasn't exactly sold like hotcakes over in Japan, so the company has sweetened the pot for the portable's potential Stateside buyers. Those who placed pre-orders will get a couple of extra goodies for their $350. To go with the previously promised limited edition case, 4GB memory card and copy of Little Deviants, you'll also receive 250MB of data from AT&T and a PlayStation Network game gratis as soon as you activate 3G on the device. Furthermore, folks buying a Vita on launch day can look forward to the same free data and PSN game, plus an 8GB memory card in exchange for their $300. So, that enough to get you on the handheld's bandwagon? Sound off in the comments below.
Old 02-12-12, 07:05 PM
Banned by request

No, he was saying that there's only $55 of value if you use the AT&T data plan (which is correct), otherwise all you get out of the bundle (assuming you don't want to have the ability to go 3G later) is the overpriced memory card that retails for $30.
I'm getting into hair splitting territory here, but he said it's $30 for a proprietary memory card. My response was that it's not $30 more for the memory card if you use the discount on the site that shall not be named. It's the same price as the wifi, thus the card is free.
Old 02-13-12, 10:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm getting into hair splitting territory here, but he said it's $30 for a proprietary memory card. My response was that it's not $30 more for the memory card if you use the discount on the site that shall not be named. It's the same price as the wifi, thus the card is free.
Yeah, but very few people even know that site exists. So to the other 99.9% of the buying public, it's a $30 memory card. After tax (since I'm in Cali) it's still $25 for that 8GB card. Not really a deal since we all know Sony could have just used freakin' MicroSD cards.
Old 02-13-12, 10:04 AM
Suspended

That said, I still don't agree with Gizmo's assessment that you need to spend $15 before you get the free 250 MB plan. That wouldn't be Free and would have to be clearly spelled out on the box if they didn't want to get sued and killed in the press.

Here's what Endgate wrote about the free game deal (which, for TLW, does indicate that purchasers of the Launch Bundle also get the free game).
From Amazon:
About the PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle:
For a limited time at launch complete your portable gaming experience with the PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi Launch Bundle including an 8GB Memory Card, an AT&T DataConnect Session pass, and a PSN Game- a bonus $55 in value! Get it while supplies last!

Includes:
- Includes: PlayStation Vita 3G/Wi-Fi System + 8GB Memory Card + AT&T DataConnect Session Pass + Free PSN Game*
- Bonus $55 Value!
- Play with your friends when you want and in more places with the AT&T Mobile Broadband Network.**

*Promotional Offer expires May 31, 2012. Redemption code must be used within 90 days of issuance and is not transferable, nor redeemable. Limit one per customer. Offer for purchasers of Sony PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi only. Your promotional 250 MB session automatically starts upon expiration of your 1st session plan, if you have activated the redemption code. Offer redeemed is for 250MB DataConnect Pass session only, regardless if you are on the 250MB or 3GB DataConnect Pass plan.) AT&T not responsible for taxes or lost redemption codes. Plans automatically renew, so after your promotional session expires, automatic renewal of your 1st DataConnect Pass plan selected will take effect and you are responsible for charges, unless you cancel auto-renewal before the plan renews. DataConnect Pass Plan: Time begins expiring immediately upon purchase/activation whether you are using the service or not. Once your time expires or your allotted data is used, whichever occurs first, your data access will cease. Coverage not available in all areas. For information on prepaid data plans, visit att.com/buyasession and for full terms, see Session Based Wireless Data Service Agreement at att.com/wirelesslegal
But really, it's damn confusing. Because the second bolding says something different.

So it still seems like:
Buy 1 month
Get 1 month free
and then it auto renews for 1 (paid) month after.

But who the hell knows. We'll probably know more come Wednesday.
Old 02-13-12, 10:07 AM

IGN reviews are up. They liked Uncharted, FIFA 12 and Ultimate MvC 3, flipped for the new Super Stardust game, were a little disappointed with ModNation Racers, WipEout and Hot Shots Golf.

link
Old 02-13-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

That's not good, considering the launch titles that are shipping to me today are Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout...
Old 02-13-12, 11:01 AM

WipEout still sounds pretty good. I'm sure it looks amazing. I was a little skeptical about Hot Shots Golf since it already worked pretty well on the PSP and didn't think I needed another version of that game.

Now I'm thinking about picking up Ultimate MvC3 to go along with Uncharted. It does look cool and could give me a game with long lasting gameplay and replayability, which is something I think Uncharted will lack.

I'd certainly buy Super Stardust for $10 if I knew that it wasn't my only choice of free downloadable game. Someone needs to clarify that pretty quickly, I hope.

Gizmo, I agree that wording is really confusing. If anyone here gets a Premiere Bundle in two days, please let us know how it works with the AT&T free plan and bonus game.
Old 02-13-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i fully expect to see Hot Shots Golf with a score in the 8s. its all about the gameplay which i assume is top notch as it has been for every version released in the US. his only complaint is that the game is too hard and he has to replay a tournament to get a gold star.
Old 02-13-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize that you pretty much have to have a memory card to play any of the launch games (except the ones made by Ubisoft, but really, who's getting those?). Sorry, wifi buyers. Also, Sony could discount their online downloads by 30% and it still wouldn't make sense considering the size of the downloads (4g for Uncharted) and the cost of the cards.

I still don't know who would get the week-early-but-only-4g-card version, but I'm looking forward to the hands on reviews by them this week.
Old 02-13-12, 02:45 PM

Reading the Little Deviants reviews (which completely confirm what I thought while playing the demo -- that the game is a useless collections of tech demo mini-games), I feel a little bad for anyone who spends an extra $50 (or $110 ) for the week-early bundle.
Old 02-13-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrote a market preview piece of the Vita for a Tech/Startup e-zine if anyone's interested.

http://tekhne.co/4434/getting-back-i...s-big-on-vita/
Old 02-13-12, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geez, I thought you were only good at Warhawk. Nice piece, do you have any others?
Old 02-13-12, 05:30 PM

IGN confirmed you can transfer any PSP game that's downloadable in the PS3 store and transfer it to the Vita, then transfer the save also. Kinda makes me wanna trade in my PSP now but Id say wont get more than $30 for it.
Old 02-13-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brewc
IGN confirmed you can transfer any PSP game that's downloadable in the PS3 store and transfer it to the Vita, then transfer the save also. Kinda makes me wanna trade in my PSP now but Id say wont get more than $30 for it.
But only the ones in the compatibility list, right?
Old 02-13-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I wrote a market preview piece of the Vita for a Tech/Startup e-zine if anyone's interested.

http://tekhne.co/4434/getting-back-i...s-big-on-vita/

That was a great piece - nice "State of the Union" article at launch for the Vita. It does boggle the mind to think that the once mighty Sony has to hope for so much with the launch of a handheld gaming device.
Old 02-13-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai
Geez, I thought you were only good at Warhawk. Nice piece, do you have any others?
Thanks, guys. I have a couple of other short blog-type entries up on that site... and my fiction/essay/memoir is scattered about the interwebs.

I compile most everything on my bl-g... I hate to call it a blog. It's really a writer's page to promote my publications... Or it will be when I have enough publications. www.thirtyhertzrumble.com

I'll have a post-launch vita article up on that site in a couple weeks too... once I get mine and have some sales data to use for fodder.
Old 02-13-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a good review from The Verge including pictures and a video.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/21/2...a-japan-review

That browser response looks really bad.
Old 02-13-12, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Gizmo, I agree that wording is really confusing. If anyone here gets a Premiere Bundle in two days, please let us know how it works with the AT&T free plan and bonus game.
If my source comes through, I might get the FEB bundle. If not, I will for sure have the 3G One. Seems like only the Sony games are launching this week, which sucks since everything I want is the following (Ninja, Shinobi, Marvel).
Old 02-13-12, 11:52 PM

Ultimate MvC3 comes out 2/15.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.