Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

Stuff splattering on the camera takes me out of a movie too. I want to be absorbed, not reminded that it's a movie/game.
Old 03-09-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Also, does anyone know if this game has a New Game+ mode once you beat it? I'd like to go through it again on max difficulty, but keep all my acquired abilities while doing so. Doesn't look like I'll be getting God of War next week, so I might as well do another run through.
There is no New Game+ mode. You can free roam after the story is complete for collectibles and challenges, but that's it. Some areas have respawned enemies, but most don't.
Old 03-09-13, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
There is no New Game+ mode. You can free roam after the story is complete for collectibles and challenges, but that's it. Some areas have respawned enemies, but most don't.
Damn, that sucks.

Oh well.
Old 03-09-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

After dying at least 25 times I have to say that parachute part SUCKS BALLS. Fuck! Had to just stop playing.
Old 03-10-13, 01:31 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
After dying at least 25 times I have to say that parachute part SUCKS BALLS. Fuck! Had to just stop playing.
maybe you are doing something wrong? It seemed easy to me...
Old 03-10-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finished with 80% complete at around 11-12 hours. Awesome game.
Old 03-10-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did her big trailer line, "if I don't survive, no-one will" actually make it into the game? I just finished and I don't think she ever said it.
Old 03-10-13, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
That's just like all the other similar parts before it. You die once or twice, and figure out the pattern and then pass it.

Although the river was harder than the parachute part IMO.
Old 03-10-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About the ending...

Spoiler:
It was a nice touch dual wielding the pistols at the end. Wish I could have used those early on in the game though.

I guess we'll get more of that in Tomb Raider 2.

The game felt pretty easy to me. I rarely used the guns late in the game. I used the bow almost exclusively.
Old 03-10-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
About the ending...

Spoiler:
It was a nice touch dual wielding the pistols at the end. Wish I could have used those early on in the game though.

I guess we'll get more of that in Tomb Raider 2.

The game felt pretty easy to me. I rarely used the guns late in the game. I used the bow almost exclusively.
I just finished the game. In regards to your spoiler, I thought that was pretty sweet and iconic. I also used the bow predominantly, except when I got in close to enemies I used the shotgun.

Random thoughts...

...was sorta worried about the hunting for food aspect early in the game, luckily that went away quick

...really liked the different styles of gameplay, from semi-frustrating parachuting to finishing moves

...I've never seen a video game character get so badly damaged in a game. Half the game she spent limping around holding her side. Pretty impressive.

...easily the best graphics of this generation

...definitely recommended! One of the most enjoyable single player campaigns I've played in a long time.
Old 03-10-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About the ending...

Spoiler:
I was expecting that. I was also expecting her pant legs to get ripped off so that she would end up looking like old-school Lara. Unfortunately that did not happen.
Old 03-10-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished with 80% complete at around 11-12 hours. Awesome game.
Love to hear that's it's only that long. Give me 10-15 hours of awesome rather than 40+ of good.
Old 03-10-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going back in now to pick up some of the achievements I missed. Basically find docs, relics, challenges, etc. The ones requiring enemy kills may be a problem as most areas don't seem to respawn them.
Old 03-11-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I thought the parachute part was fairly easy, do you at least get a death animation with it?

The game is a bit easy but the important part is it's fun as hell. Hope part 2 is just as good.
Old 03-11-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought the parachute part was fairly easy, do you at least get a death animation with it?
Impaled in the gut by a tree branch.

The game is a bit easy but the important part is it's fun as hell. Hope part 2 is just as good.
This game took a LOOONG time in development, and it shows. If the next one is going to be anywhere near as good, it'll take just as long.
Old 03-11-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I died once parachuting. Makes me want to die at least once in each sequence to see how Lara dies.

As for the development, I thought a lot of the time was deciding what type of game they wanted to make. There was an article on Kotaku about various things they were trying to do, including a Shadow of the Colossus style game.
Old 03-11-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tomb Raider style Shadow of the Colossus with the camera and controls from this game would be neat.

I figured a lot of their development time was spent planning, though the graphics are so detailed I can't imagine any of that was done quickly.
Old 03-11-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I can tell this game is going to be pretty short, which is something I usually like about games because they are generally way too long these days, but I am playing this one in small chunks because it is so fantastic I don't want it to ever end.
I can definitely see myself playing through this game multiple times.
Old 03-11-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So I take it based on the speed of play there aren't any real challenging puzzles (or any puzzles at all)?
Old 03-11-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are plenty of puzzles, they're just easy.

Case in point:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f_XNLoS3FgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-11-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The puzzles were all pretty easy. Some of the collectibles on the other hand were pretty tough to find without a guide. I'm now 100% complete.
Old 03-11-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are plenty of puzzles, they're just easy.

Case in point:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f_XNLoS3FgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yeah I stopped it after it started showing how to solve it but I see what you mean. Definitely looks cool even if it's not massive.
Old 03-11-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The puzzle tombs are a joke. They are easily the worst the series has to offer. I used to joke that Uncharted's best puzzles would end up on the Tomb Raider cutting room floor. After these, that is no longer the case.

Guide? I'm in ShantyTown and am only missing 1 Ghost Toem (from the first area) and one "Poached" Egg. Once you find the in game map, you're golden. That plus upgrading the "Cartographer" skill makes finding everything relatively easy.

That leads me to my first "real" complaint about the game. Lara is an adventurer, she needs a pair of binoculars. With this game more immersive than the last few, they would be fantastic. Case in point, I spotted that poached egg but couldn't get to it. I've been back through that area a couple times now and can't find it.
Old 03-11-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Difficult puzzles? ain't nobody got time for that!" seems to sum up the public consensus on puzzles in action/adventure games these days. I imagine future Tomb Raiders will be similar to this, but with bigger more difficult "Tombs" to explore on the side.

It works amazingly well in this one because it is a reboot and is very very well made, but unless the story is just tremendously strong in #2 I really hope they amp up the difficulty, and not by adding more baddies to kill.

That aside, this is how you do pacing in a videogame.
Old 03-11-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Difficult puzzles? ain't nobody got time for that!" seems to sum up the public consensus on puzzles in action/adventure games these days.
God of War says the public consensus is wrong.

Are you going to argue with the God of War?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.