Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Tomb Raider (a.k.a. Tomb Raider 9)

Originally Posted by nickdawgy

But we were talking about the multiplayer DLC. Buy the game, it's fun. Just don't play the shit MP.
Agreed. Those comments weren't geared towards the "meat" of the game. This is one of the best SP experiences I've had in several months. I had my doubts but the good reviews were spot on. Hopefully Gears and Bioshock can keep it going.
Old 03-07-13, 10:29 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

easily one of the best games in a while...fantastic...
Old 03-07-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I agree. I've played it a good bit now and it's going to take a good bit to dethrone it as my favorite of the year. If BioShock: Infinite and Gears live up to their potential it'll be a tight race and one of the greatest months of gaming this gen.

Honestly though, I haven't been this surprised or happy with a game in a long long time.

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Just finished it. So amazing. I know it's very early in the year to say it, but it'll be hard for anything to top this experience as my GOTY.
My one concern is while the game appears to be plenty long for this kind of game, if the pacing sustains through the entire thing it may seem too short
Old 03-07-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I hear it's around 10 hours long - is that about right?
Old 03-08-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've played about 5 hours and I'm 41% complete. I think it depends on much time you spend looking for treasures.
Old 03-08-13, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I hear it's around 10 hours long - is that about right?
I'm not sure exactly how long it took me, but it seemed well over 10 hours. Though I'm the type of player who explores around a lot and searches every corner for collectibles, which do count in your completion percentage (I finished at 87%).

I do know that there were a couple of points where I thought I had reached the end of the game, but it kept going. One of them was probably at the 2/3 mark or so.

The game is just about the perfect length for its type. Not too long and not too short.
Old 03-08-13, 07:20 AM
gamer for life

is just about the perfect length for its type. Not too long and not too short.
I have heard this a few times in my life..
Old 03-08-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foxdvd
The too long comment makes me smile but it really is just filler
Old 03-08-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've heard that it's just because they are trying to make you feel better.
Old 03-08-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Finally started it and it's amazing. I'm taking my time and searching for everything. I've done the first 3(?) areas and gotten 100% on everything except the area specific challenges (shoot totems, lanterns, etc).

Originally Posted by edstein
Loving the game so far but it pretty stingy with the achievements. To many "collect all ...". It gets pretty boring hunting around for very small shiny objects.
I'm loving this game, but I was just thinking earlier about how the collectible hunt nearly ruins the otherwise amazing flow and tension of the story.
Originally Posted by Rob V
I guess I won't be getting achievements because I don't enjoy collecting shit to collect it
So essentially, you guys don't want to hunt for treasure in a game about treasure hunting?
Old 03-08-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I love the collecting stuff.
Old 03-08-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't mind the collecting. I just dont like tons of achievements tied to it,
Old 03-08-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished up getting every collectible earlier today. It was a lot more enjoyable after the story was over and I didn't have to worry about Lara's friends being in imminent danger for the 10th time.
Old 03-08-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just finished up getting every collectible earlier today. It was a lot more enjoyable after the story was over and I didn't have to worry about Lara's friends being in imminent danger for the 10th time.
"My friends are in trouble! Oooh antiques!"

Pfft, women.
Old 03-08-13, 03:24 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Larry C.
If you've heard that it's just because they are trying to make you feel better.
that actually explains a lot..
Old 03-08-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I love the collecting stuff.
I had a blast wasting time roaming the jungle with my bow hunting deer and searching for treasure. I wasn't having any luck finding the totems though. Only found maybe 4 out of the 10.
Old 03-08-13, 10:37 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

The pacing, the intensity, and the gameplay have me blown away. LOVING this game! Oh, bring a bow and arrow to a gun fight? You betcha. Katniss-frigging-Everdeen-Croft.
Old 03-09-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wonder if they based her on anyone in particular.
Turns out the correct answer is Megan Farquhar.

They just released a digital artbook on Steam.
Old 03-09-13, 01:58 AM
gamer for life

finished...

I think the reviews were actually low for the game...the 86 average on meta surprises me...and the 6 out of 10 score from machinima is almost a joke...
Old 03-09-13, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, this is at least a 9/10.
Old 03-09-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

finished...

I think the reviews were actually low for the game...the 86 average on meta surprises me...and the 6 out of 10 score from machinima is almost a joke...
I saw the Machinima review on Youtube and that reviewer is a total snob and doesn't understand losing yourself into a game and just having fun with it. He obviously had somekind of agenda against the game.
Old 03-09-13, 09:42 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I saw the Machinima review on Youtube and that reviewer is a total snob and doesn't understand losing yourself into a game and just having fun with it. He obviously had somekind of agenda against the game.
some on neogaf/reviewers are upset that the game is not a "true" Tomb Raider game and hated it before it even came out. I loved the Tomb Raider games but this game is something special. Some complaints I have heard that I actually agree with...

:Your companions are not that interesting: Yeah they felt like the people on that bus in the movie Speed..

:Character models 2 or 3 years old : After playing Crysis 3, Uncharted and Halo 4 this is true, but the game itself stands right with those games as far as the actual game engine/graphics go...

:Story: Yeah it was a little over the top at times...

All that being said the game is fucking amazing. Combat was great (though I hated the grenade spamming) I loved exploring for collectibles...the set pieces were fantastic...easily a high 9 out of 10 game.
Old 03-09-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My only gripes thus far; I would agree with the character models. As good as the game looks, after Halo 4, everything else is just a step down. With the next gen consoles on the horizon, I'm playing the game thinking how even more amazing it could have looked. Of course, that doesn't impact the game anyway, so it's not really a complaint, just an observation.

Second gripe(very minor) is all the water drops and blood constantly hitting the screen. It takes me out of the game. I'm I supposed to be Lara or not? When I'm out in the rain I don't get raindrops on my eyeballs so why here? It just reminds me that I'm looking through a window at a game. It is the opposite of immersion which I'm sure the devs were trying to capture. It makes sense in a game where the main character is masked or wearing a helmet or a visor, ala Halo or Crysis but it just doesn't work here.
Old 03-09-13, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Second gripe(very minor) is all the water drops and blood constantly hitting the screen. It takes me out of the game. I'm I supposed to be Lara or not? When I'm out in the rain I don't get raindrops on my eyeballs so why here? It just reminds me that I'm looking through a window at a game. It is the opposite of immersion which I'm sure the devs were trying to capture. It makes sense in a game where the main character is masked or wearing a helmet or a visor, ala Halo or Crysis but it just doesn't work here.
I don't think you're supposed to be Lara. Many male gamers seem to have a problem "being" female characters (as if any of us are actually Master Chief or John Shepard) so I think the devs wanted to consciously avoid that. In fact, I recall there being a bit of an uproar back when that dev talked about the gamer wanting to feel as if they should "protect" Lara. I think that was the rape interview, but I may be mistaken.

Also, does anyone know if this game has a New Game+ mode once you beat it? I'd like to go through it again on max difficulty, but keep all my acquired abilities while doing so. Doesn't look like I'll be getting God of War next week, so I might as well do another run through.
Old 03-09-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I don't have any issue with the water/blood effects on the screen. To me this game is like playing through an interactive movie or an episode of LOST.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.