Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB 11: The Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: MLB 11: The Show

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Well I'm never doing business with them again. They offered me a 40% off on a new order because of this screw up, and the one thing I'm interested in (an authentic Astros cap...yes we suck, I know) is excluded from the promotional coupon.
They want you to buy 500 dollars worth of elementary aged baseball uniforms and not the hat that actually want. I will just take my business elsewhere.
Old 03-12-11, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a shocker but BB denied price matching Kmart's $15 offer on The Show. So I just returned my preorder right then and got it from Kmart. I guess they have to follow policy or whatever, but the game probably cost them $25-$30 I'm guessing, so instead of making $15 or so off me, they made nothing. Oh well. No anger, it was outside their policy, I just hoped common sense would take over.

Finally got to play The Show. I had a seemingly glitch last night. Rickie Weeks hit what I thought was a homerun, it focused on the wall (no players in sight) with the camera, but I still had control of him, it just stayed on that shot of the wall, but never went to any animations, so I just kept running with him, when I crossed home it said "inside the park homerun" and I earned a trophy for it! I figure the 'insider' trophy won't be easy to earn, so maybe its special that I earned that one first, regardless of the circumstances.

I also find myself skipping a lot of cut scenes...... I imagine a 9 inning game would be like 2 hours or more sitting through all those. They look freaking awesome though!

One final thought: Disappointed that if you change uniforms, the pants don't change. Kind look kind of weird.

Maybe today I will win my first game.
Old 03-12-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I dumped analog pitching and fielding. The fielding was causing me too many dumb errors like overthrowing the cutoff man on simple tosses back into the infield. The analog pitching is nice, but it doesn't seem to add any more precision or control for me, so I'd rather just mindlessly use the classic style.

One nitpick, player momentum for fielders is ridiculous. It takes forever to change direction, like they are on skates. Normally this won't be a big deal, but I'm getting killed on hits up the middle where I assume they are gonna give me control of the 2nd baseman, so I move the joystick left. Instead they give me the centerfielder, who is now moving away from the ball. I'm used to this happening, but in previous years, it was easy to just jerk the joystick right and the CF would recover easily. Now you do it, and you have to wait for him to make 2 more steps the wrong way, stop, and slowly move back towards the ball which is now by him - turning a would-be single into a stand-up double
Old 03-12-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI: if you ordered The Show through Modell's, CAG reports that you should have received a code to re-order the game at the 40% discount. However, if you paid via Paypal, you're probably not getting a code via email and you'll have to call CS at (866) 835-9129 to get the order replaced.

I just called and was told this was absolutely not happening. Guess it depends on who you talk to. These orders are going through. So if you have some patience by all means give it a go. You'll probably be rewarded. I just don't have patience for another conversation with someone that knows less about what's going on than I do.

Here is the text from the email:

Dear Modell's Customer:

Earlier this week we canceled your order for one of the MLB video games we had for sale on our website. Due to a pricing error which caused a high demand of product, we oversold our available supply.

However, because of the overwhelming response from our customers, we have been able to secure more of these games for your purchase and will honor the original price just for you.

Please visit www.modells and repurchase your game at 40% off, with free shipping, using the promotion code below.
Old 03-12-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

As I stated previously in this thread, this is my first time playing The Show, and one thing I don't like is the strike zone when you're pitching (I used to play MVP Baseball back in the day, so this isn't my first foray into baseball games). I've screamed at the TV like I'm watching a real game at these borderline calls. I'm hitting the outside edge of the zone and I NEVER get the call on close pitches. The entire ball has to be within the zone it seems. Is this based on reputation (I just started as a pitcher in RTTS), or is the entire game like this, regardless of pitcher?
Old 03-12-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

As I stated previously in this thread, this is my first time playing The Show, and one thing I don't like is the strike zone when you're pitching (I used to play MVP Baseball back in the day, so this isn't my first foray into baseball games). I've screamed at the TV like I'm watching a real game at these borderline calls. I'm hitting the outside edge of the zone and I NEVER get the call on close pitches. The entire ball has to be within the zone it seems. Is this based on reputation (I just started as a pitcher in RTTS), or is the entire game like this, regardless of pitcher?
Is there a spot in the settings where you can control the umpire accuracy? From what I remember, that was a controllable variable that you could set so that the umpires always called plays correctly. Otherwise there's going to be some variation.
Old 03-12-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is an option for the strike zone that you want, it can be variable or the right call every time.
Old 03-12-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind the variable strike zone - I just wish it was wasn't just randomly done. I've mentioned this before but I'd much prefer it where maybe in the first or second inning they mention "so-and-so is behind the plate, and he's known for a generous strike zone" and then have his calls actually reflect that fact the rest of the game. Instead, sometimes they comment on an ump squeezing the zone or the opposite after a particular pitch, but it never carries over to the rest of the game - it's just a random comment
Old 03-12-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

OK this is one of the more ridiculous glitches I've seen in this game. I thought I saw it yesterday but wasn't sure, but it just happened again.

The pitcher bounces one, and the batter hits it AFTER it bounces and puts it in play for a fair ball. Nice.
Old 03-13-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's not a glitch, Vlad has done that a few times.
Old 03-13-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Old 03-13-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fandango
OK, but that's not within the rules is it?
Old 03-13-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet another thing I've noticed:

Using the guess pitch features in RTTS, it seems like you're much more likely to have a close but clearly outside pitch go against you as a batter if you guess the pitch type and location correctly. Almost like you're being penalized for not taking a swing.
Old 03-13-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

You can still hit the ball if the pitcher bounces it.
Old 03-13-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
You can still hit the ball if the pitcher bounces it.
Wow - I've never seen that in my life. Funny I should have seen it twice already in this game and have never seen it in MLB 07-10.
Old 03-13-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

finally got my copy
Old 03-14-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I decided not to buy MLB this year. I've picked MLB 10 back up and am playing it this week to wrap up the online trophies before the servers get shut down next Monday.

I'll think about picking up MLB 12, if for nothing else to get the new Marlins Stadium. Looks like even the classic stadiums are the same from last year.
Old 03-15-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I lose another player to the 60-day disabled list, I'm gonna restart my season. I've lost 2 starters and 3 backups and it's not even the end of April. How do you break your forearm running from first to second without sliding? How does my catcher have an injured back before a Tuesday game when I sat him on Sunday and Monday was an off day?
Old 03-15-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daryl
If I lose another player to the 60-day disabled list, I'm gonna restart my season. I've lost 2 starters and 3 backups and it's not even the end of April. How do you break your forearm running from first to second without sliding? How does my catcher have an injured back before a Tuesday game when I sat him on Sunday and Monday was an off day?
Is your catcher Mauer?
Old 03-15-11, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl
I'm 8 games into my season and I have two starters on the 15-day DL - I know it's not the same, but I was surprised at even that.
Old 03-16-11, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any advice on how to hit? I've played a half dozen games and can't seem to get any rally's going or get much in the way of base hits (let alone HR's). I'm using "timed" hitting and adjusted the sliders to be more favorable... it's more an issue with identifying if the pitch will be a ball or a strike. It's driving me mad!
Old 03-16-11, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V
Any advice on how to hit? I've played a half dozen games and can't seem to get any rally's going or get much in the way of base hits (let alone HR's). I'm using "timed" hitting and adjusted the sliders to be more favorable... it's more an issue with identifying if the pitch will be a ball or a strike. It's driving me mad!
I use zone hitting - but as for balls and strikes, just really try to focus on the ball leaving the pitchers hand. You'll begin to notice the difference from pitches that end up in the zone, and those that tail out or hit the dirt.
Old 03-16-11, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I use zone hitting - but as for balls and strikes, just really try to focus on the ball leaving the pitchers hand. You'll begin to notice the difference from pitches that end up in the zone, and those that tail out or hit the dirt.
I get killed by this online.............. I'm averaging 3 hits a game and like 15 strikeouts, oh, and like 5-8 errors (although some I don't get credit for because I watch the ball land behind me when I think I'm going to catch it).

I'm a treat to play........
Old 03-16-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Some prick I played against today would swipe 2nd and 3rd base whenever he got on and he pretty much scored 8 runs that way (hitting sac flies or groundouts)
Old 03-16-11, 10:38 PM

Some prick I played against today would swipe 2nd and 3rd base whenever he got on and he pretty much scored 8 runs that way (hitting sac flies or groundouts)
What team are you playing with? You need a better catcher!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.