Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

I bought Oblivion three different times and sold it each one. This was before Skyrim, but I just couldn't get into it. I don't think I ever figured out how to level my character.

I think I just put the combat on super easy and just killed everything in one hit

As for Skyrim, well maybe Dawnguard is causing all my freeze issues. I'm hoping that I can just put it aside for a month or two and then eventually see something about a patch that fixes everything.
Old 07-14-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Dawnguard worth $20.00?
Old 07-14-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a couple of times going through it completely, I'd have to say it definitely isn't. But opinions will vary.
Old 07-15-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 447 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is Dawnguard worth $20.00?
I'd say that it has enough added game play (there are new missions other than just the Dawnguard stuff), new areas and other things to be just barely worth it. But all this new stuff is very similar to a lot of the stuff you've already played. Having said that, I really enjoy pillaging a dungeon and Blackreach as a Vampire Lord.
Old 08-28-12, 09:12 AM

Skyrim's 'Hearthfire' expansion tends the home September 4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MGritiUTSig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skyrim's "Hearthfire" expansion became official this morning – an add-on allowing adventurers who took one too many arrows to the knee to become domestics (Dovamestic?). Hearthfire enables players to build their own home, create additions to said home, and help raise children. Those rooms can be profession-specific – for instance, a room dedicated to herbalism. The joys of domestic life!

"From a simple one-room cottage to a sprawling compound complete with armory, alchemy laboratory, and more," Bethesda said of the DLC. "Choose your land, customize your house, guard it from unwanted visitors, and turn your house into a home by adopting children." Apparently, in the fantasy world of Skyrim, houses aren't homes without children.

Hearthfire will be available September 4 on Xbox 360 for 400 Microsoft Points ($5), no other platforms are mentioned at this time. Skyrim's previous DLC, Dawnguard, took around a month to make its way to PC, but the PS3 version experienced some hiccups.
Old 08-28-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 447 Likes on 314 Posts

Eh. This Hearthfire seems more like "Sim Skyrim" than anything having to do with gameplay. Sounds like it's geared more towards the obsessive type of gameplayer, which I suppose is a majority of y'all.
Old 08-28-12, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, I'm starting to come around to the fact that there's no point in buying games these days until they've been out for at least a year, and all the expansions and add-ons are already available (whether via download or a complete/GOTY edition). Not only will it save a lot of money, but you can have the full experience all at once.

This newest DLC is the perfect example of something that would have added a lot to the game while playing through it, but now that I'm completely finished, I have no use for it.

Now to work on that whole "patience" thing.
Old 08-28-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
You know, I'm starting to come around to the fact that there's no point in buying games these days until they've been out for at least a year, and all the expansions and add-ons are already available...
Yes indeed. Sadly the Elder Scrolls series is my one exception to this rule as it really is just too good to wait on.
Old 08-28-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 306 Posts

So still no patches? I bought Dawnguard when it first released and have yet to complete the first part due to the game breaking can't enter the castle bug.
Old 08-29-12, 09:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will I be able to discipline my kid without getting a bounty and a swarm of guards attacking me?
Old 08-29-12, 09:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Eh. This Hearthfire seems more like "Sim Skyrim" than anything having to do with gameplay. Sounds like it's geared more towards the obsessive type of gameplayer, which I suppose is a majority of y'all.
Yeah, this sounds awful.
Old 08-29-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ha so much for a big expansion the likes of Shivering Isles. The first two sure as hell don't seem like that at all.
Old 08-29-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I think it sounds pretty cool, however I do agree with the sentiment that this should have been in the game to begin with. I really hate walking into my "home" in Skyrim to see nothing around me except wooden boards and useless objects.

However, I'm pretty sure at this point, I'll just wait for a GOTY edition before I try some of this DLC out.
Old 08-29-12, 12:17 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, I'm starting to come around to the fact that there's no point in buying games these days until they've been out for at least a year, and all the expansions and add-ons are already available (whether via download or a complete/GOTY edition). Not only will it save a lot of money, but you can have the full experience all at once.

This newest DLC is the perfect example of something that would have added a lot to the game while playing through it, but now that I'm completely finished, I have no use for it.

Now to work on that whole "patience" thing.
the thing is I get distracted easily...so when dlc comes out so far away from when a game comes out, even if it is an amazing game like Skyrim, I have a hard time getting back into it. If the dlc came out right away I might try it out, but then you just play into developers holding out content and releasing it day one.....
Old 08-29-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Will I be able to discipline my kid without getting a bounty and a swarm of guards attacking me?
It would be great if you could raise an army of evil children to do your bidding . And this dlc just sounds like a mod pack.
Old 08-29-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
ha so much for a big expansion the likes of Shivering Isles. The first two sure as hell don't seem like that at all.
None of the first few Oblivion DLCs, which included things like the horse armor and the Orrery and the Wizard's Tower, were either. So I wouldn't write off the idea of a larger expansion yet.
Old 08-29-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked Dawnguard and this looks fun (like said above, like Sim City Skyrim style). For only $5 it seems like a much better deal than the horse armor or mage's tower DLC from Oblivion. Lets remember, even though they sold a Gold version of Oblivion a year later with the Knights of the Nine and Isles DLC, it did not have the armor or tower. This may be the only way you get the house DLC.
Old 08-29-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been confirmed that Hearthfire will add achievements as well. And presumably trophies, if it ever comes to PS3.
Old 08-29-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
None of the first few Oblivion DLCs, which included things like the horse armor and the Orrery and the Wizard's Tower, were either. So I wouldn't write off the idea of a larger expansion yet.
True but they made such a point to say the DLC wouldn't be like the early Oblivion DLC and this one sure seems a bit that way.
Old 08-29-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's been confirmed that Hearthfire will add achievements as well. And presumably trophies, if it ever comes to PS3.

Must resist pimping out my house and wait for GOTY package. MUST RESIST....fading.....rising...
Old 08-30-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I played this over 100 hours when it was new on the PC. Then I ended up picking up the CE XBox version about a month ago when egghead had it cheap. I'm addicted all over again. It's a bit harder with no console command for unlimited money.
Old 08-30-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dawnguard (and other DLC?) may not be coming to PS3 at all, due to the issues the game has experienced on that system:
Originally Posted by Bethesda
Earlier in the month, we provided an update on Dawnguard's status for PS3.

It's been a few weeks, and we wanted to make sure everyone knows where we're at with Dawnguard. Skyrim is a massive and dynamic game that requires a lot of resources, and things get much more complex when you're talking about sizable content like Dawnguard. We have tried a number of things, but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone. The PS3 is a powerful system, and we're working hard to deliver the content you guys want. Dawnguard is obviously not the only DLC we’ve been working on either, so the issues of adding content get even more complicated. This is not a problem we’re positive we can solve, but we are working together with Sony to try to bring you this content.

We wish we had a more definitive answer right now. We understand the frustration when the same content is not available on all platforms. When we have an update, we will certainly let you know. We deeply appreciate all the time and support you have given us, and we’ll keep doing our best to return that.
Old 08-30-12, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel bad for the PS3 owners. Bethesda makes some very complex games and while I know nothing about programming a game I can't imagine making a game for multiple platforms is easy. I wonder if the new DLC add on for the 360/PC was kept smaller in scale because they had people trying to fix this PS3 issue. If that is the case I have revert to being more of a 360 "fanboy" and hope they just bail on the PS3 content and work on the larger scale content they promised.
Old 08-31-12, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how I will be able to use this new DLC. I was happily married in the main game to that hot Nordic Archer chick. When I saved the world, I returned home expecting some nice hero sex; however that b*tch yelled at me instead about not killing some bear up north in an ice cave. I took my axe and hit her upside the head and now she forever lays dead on the floor of my house. I wonder if you have to be married in the game to have children or if I can hook up with another hot chick from Whiterun. Then will my children wind up frolicking in the house over the dead bleeding body of my first wife? So many questions.......
Old 09-05-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This new DLC is a glitch filled mess. Getting the 3 pieces of land was tough as hell and I thought that was the end of my issues. Now I have numerous issues while trying to build and furnish all 3 locations. The steward at one location is worthless so I am seeing if I can get the steward at a second home can do any of the jobs I ask of him. If they can't get this little home building add on to work then I am not at all surprised they are having issues with the PS3 DLC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.