Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I just check my active effect part under Magic and it always tells me what I have...keep some cure disease potions on hand...cures everything but vamp/wolf...
No, there's nothing there. It was the first place I checked. And no one making comments about how sick I look (like the last time I caught something). Just a sudden drop (from around 30) to a red 15,
Old 11-21-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
I rented it this weekend and had fun. Got to lvl 8, but man how do you kill Trolls? I encountered 2, both saw me before I realized what they were, I got 3-4 frit hits and could not tell he took damage. Is there a way to tell if things are friend or foe from a distance? I would attack things that would end up being "friendly" and walk up on bad guys (the frost mages at an old fort).
What I did when I ran into the one on the stairs was to use a fireball scroll to open the fight and then when it approached I used two hands of flames to flamethrower it until it died. I let it wail on me and I just kept pausing and drinking my restore magicka/health potions until I killed it. Nothing else (melee or my lightning magic, which is what i'm focused in) helped.
Old 11-21-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I do have a lot people sniffing me and saying I smell bad for some reason....I have great armor on..I have no idea why I smell....and what I can do to fix it
Did you become a werewolf?
Old 11-21-11, 02:15 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Did you become a werewolf?
yeah, I just read that is probably the case...but I could have swore they did this before I became a wolf...
Old 11-21-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Just started playing this game this weekend. Really, really enjoy it -- much more than I did Oblivion which I couldn't get into at all. I think the lack of a stringent set-up and skill trees really make it appeal to me more - this feels more like Mass Effect 2 in being able to just get going (but not as linear, of course) and that's the sort of RPG I enjoy.

I must admit, I didn't feel very chivalrous while running like a scared schoolgirl away from the frost troll, leaving Lydia to fend for herself, but I couldn't figure any way to even hurt that troll with my low-level character this early in the game. I was sure I'd never see her again, but somehow she made it up the mountain shortly after I did.
Old 11-21-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, I just read that is probably the case...but I could have swore they did this before I became a wolf...
Well, that's one of the cons, but there's more pros to being a werewolf than there are cons.
Old 11-21-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just started playing this game this weekend. Really, really enjoy it -- much more than I did Oblivion which I couldn't get into at all. I think the lack of a stringent set-up and skill trees really make it appeal to me more - this feels more like Mass Effect 2 in being able to just get going (but not as linear, of course) and that's the sort of RPG I enjoy.

I must admit, I didn't feel very chivalrous while running like a scared schoolgirl away from the frost troll, leaving Lydia to fend for herself, but I couldn't figure any way to even hurt that troll with my low-level character this early in the game. I was sure I'd never see her again, but somehow she made it up the mountain shortly after I did.
Where were you running into a frost troll that early on? I didn't see on until maybe level 20.
Old 11-21-11, 02:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There's a frost troll...

Spoiler:
...en route to the Greybeards
Old 11-21-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Ah. Makes sense since I haven't even done that yet for the main story. I just passed 40 hours and it'll probably be at least another 10 before I continue with those missions.
Old 11-21-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

There's plenty around Labyrinthian.
Old 11-21-11, 03:57 PM
gamer for life

I love the one handed perk that lets you take off an enemy head with a power attack...never gets old...
Old 11-21-11, 04:04 PM
gamer for life

my hero...(I was quoting a pic of some dude playing skyrim and eating...and now it is gone...lol)
Old 11-21-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

THis is why you buy flame at Riverrun
Old 11-21-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
There's a frost troll...

Spoiler:
Yep. That's where. I assume running scared is the only option at that point? The closest I came to defeating him was having him chase me around a large rock while blasting him intermittently with fire and lightning bolts. That just pissed him off and he seemed to regenerate health faster than I regenerated Magica.
Originally Posted by Noonan
Ah. Makes sense since I haven't even done that yet for the main story. I just passed 40 hours and it'll probably be at least another 10 before I continue with those missions.
I find that interesting. I always attack these games from doing the story missions first and then pick up other taskss along the way. It speaks to the freedom allowed in Skyrim that you can play for over 40 hrs without tacking even the early story missions yet.
Old 11-21-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
There's a frost troll...

Spoiler:
I ran into him, and let him fight someone that was walking along the road while I picked him off from a distance
Old 11-21-11, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
THis is why you buy flame at Riverrun
Or pick it up for free during the tutorial.
Old 11-21-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

I love the one handed perk that lets you take off an enemy head with a power attack...never gets old...
I never know about that. But I use a 2 hander so....
Old 11-21-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This made me laugh pretty hard:

I have yet to do a single thing in Skyrim in the proper order. I'm constantly showing up to some dude's castle that I've never seen before, only to hand over a mystical item that I'd mentally scratched off as garbage hours ago, and then sit and listen to the story be retroactively explained to me:

King: Wanderer! Thank the gods you've come! The prophecy told us that a mighty warrior would arise, worthy of wielding Fjalnir, the God-axe, and slaying the evil Demon Prince Synraith. We believe you to be that warrior. What say you, traveler? Will you accept this task?

Me: Yea, verily I shall accept thine task and vanq- wait, Synraith? Fiery dude in a floating city? Cape made out of screeching souls? Ahhh, shit. I already killed that guy.

King: You ... already slew the Demon Prince, the Knife in the Dark, the Void at the Heart of All Men, whose identity you did not learn until just now?

Me: Yup. I saw that castle floating up in the sky, and I wanted to know if I could jump up the rocks to get in the back way. It took a lot of reloads, but I finally managed to hop on up in there.

King: You "hopped on up" into the Abyssal Palace?

Me: Yeeeep, yep yep yep. Just squat-jumped on in there and looted the place. Then I killed that Sydney guy-

King: Synraith, Demon Prince of the Abyss.

Me: -yeah him. I ganked that guy. Mostly just to see if I could. Plus he looked like kind of a dick.

King: Indeed, the Foulest of the Foul was "kind of a dick." But you vanquished him without the aid of sacred Fjalnir, the God-axe?

Me: Totally. It wasn't even a thing. I just hid on top of a bookshelf where he couldn't reach me and shot him with arrows. Then I waited until he forgot I was shooting him, and did it all again to get the sneak damage bonus. Took a while, but he died all the same.

King: Forsooth! Thine heroic deeds are ... well, that sounds kind of fucked up, actually. Never thought I'd feel bad for He Who Devours. So you have no need of our sacred totem weapon?

Me: What, the gold dealy, with the shiny bits? Nah, I already stole that out of the display case four hours ago, before I knew who you were. I gave it to Sven, but he Quantum Leaped out of the game with that shit.

King: Huh. So. I guess ... the bards will ... sing of your tale now?

Me: Oh yeah? Sweet, let's hear it.

Bard: The hero came with eyes aflame / his tasks already done / the land was rescued all the same / but 'tis kind of a shitty song.

Me: Word.
Old 11-21-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I love this conjure flame atronach spell I have for my high-elf mage. Three bandits were coming toward me and I quickly cast the spell and the atronach killed them all. Loving it.
Old 11-21-11, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I still can't figure how to tell if I am diseased or what. There is nothing listed under magic effects. It seems like the only way I can tell is by looking at all of my skills and seeing if any are red. The problem comes when I don’t go to the Skills screen for a while because I’m not ready to level up. Yesterday I finally leveled up and noticed my one handed was in red at 15! What the fuck! I haven’t had the time to hit a church since I discovered it. I’m hoping that will “cure” it.
Diseases are under "Active Effects" (or whatever it's called) in the magic menu -- the bottom-most choice. Somewhere in that list of active effects will be whatever effects of the disease. You can cure it by praying at a shrine/temple or by drinking a potion of cure disease.
Old 11-21-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Diseases are under "Active Effects" (or whatever it's called) in the magic menu -- the bottom-most choice. Somewhere in that list of active effects will be whatever effects of the disease. You can cure it by praying at a shrine/temple or by drinking a potion of cure disease.
Yes, I know that, but it's not there. It mentions nothing bad, just the positive effects from my weapons and armor. The only way I know it is because my One-handed skill is in red and about half what it should be.
Old 11-21-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked under the magic menu where it shows effects? Diseases are listed there.

Old 11-21-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is mjoll the lioness the best follower for Mage? And what lvl can I get her
Old 11-21-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damnit! I quit everything and fast traveled back to Whiterun to get a blessing. Even though it said all diseases and curses were cured my one handed skill is still a red 15. I hope this isn't a bug.
Old 11-21-11, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Damnit! I quit everything and fast traveled back to Whiterun to get a blessing. Even though it said all diseases and curses were cured my one handed skill is still a red 15. I hope this isn't a bug.
Ha! Serves you right with your fancy "I know where they tell you about diseases and I already checked there and even though there's nothing there, I'm still convinced I have a disease."

General consensus is that this is a glitch. The good news is that it appears to be limited to the display -- behind the scenes, the game still knows what your ability score really is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.