Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 10:01 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Really? That completely sucks. There must be some other way. Not everyone has internet.
The xbox has a removable hard drive. They can bring or ship the drive to your xobx, swap drives and update it on your xbox with a connection.
Old 11-13-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add some info to the issue with textures on the 360 version -- I noticed that the game looked bad whether or not I installed it to the HD, and I was pretty dissatisfied with the quality of the graphics all around. Then I read on the Bethesda forums that installing the game to a USB stick worked for some people. I tried it and it made a world of difference. Everything looks better. My left hand now has detail and no longer looks like a plastic doll!
Old 11-13-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
What is a easy race/class ( I know there are no classes, but skills) for a newb to pick up and get right into?

Picking up the game later today.
I find any class with a combination of fighting and magic skill such as Spellsword or Battlemage easy for me. I choose Dark Elf cause they get a +10 Destruction.
Old 11-13-11, 10:54 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am doing the weapon/magic combo, but I have to say they really made magic amazing in this game. I sort of wish now I had done pure magic....

20 hours in and I can say I finally found a game that is giving Portal 2 a run for its money...Every bit as good as I hoped it would be...
Old 11-13-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, reading your responses is making me really want to pick this up.

As someone who hasn't finished Oblivion, do you think this game would kill my desire to finish that one at some point (too hard to go back?)
Old 11-13-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Here is my main complaint about the game (Maybe my only complaint)...When you go to your inventory screen it doesn't show your character like it did in Oblivion. This sucks because before, if you accidentally forgot to put boots, gauntlets, etc... on (Or they were broken, or accidentally sold them), you could easily tell by looking. It would also help if it lumped all of your equipped items at the top, so you don't have to remember when scrolling down the list.
Old 11-13-11, 11:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Haven't looked back in the thread....you on PC, PS3 or 360?
360. And it was kind of a blessing in disguise because it let me get a few easy to complete things off my list before continuing with the main story, but still, it's a bad sign. Looking back, I think I was relying on autosaves for a while, which is what got erased. I haven't seen it delete any manual saves yet.
Old 11-13-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
There's a handy perk in the Pickpocket tree that adds 100 to your carrying weight. Your Pickpocket skill has to be at 50 to get it, though. I always have this same problem with Bethesda games, so nearly every pocket in Whiterun has now been picked, and I now have the extra 100 weight capacity (which will, no doubt, soon be full). I'm working on getting the 5,000 gold for the house so I can store the excess stuff there. I'm ready to go out and actually explore, but I've spent all my time in this one town.

You couldn't sell stolen items in Oblivion either, until you met the conditions for certain merchants to buy them. In Oblivion I believe it was tied to completing quests for them, but in this game it's a perk you unlock in the Speech tree.
Thanks alot, that will help. So getting speech higher is doing stuff like buying and selling, or just talking? I know it increased when I intimidated someone.

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am doing the weapon/magic combo, but I have to say they really made magic amazing in this game. I sort of wish now I had done pure magic....

20 hours in and I can say I finally found a game that is giving Portal 2 a run for its money...Every bit as good as I hoped it would be...
I agree, I never thought I'd use magic, but raise zombie is a hoot.

Oh and I ran into my first giant outside of Whiterun I think it was? I killed him after getting him in a position where he couldn't get to me. Just kept firing arrows at his head.

Then I bought a horse, and it gets killed by bandits. What a waste
Old 11-13-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading books increases your speech as well. You don't have to go through all the pages just open it up. If you're getting over incumbered find a companion to go with you and unload stuff on to him. Just don't let him get killed deep in a dungeon like I did though.
Old 11-13-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Damn, reading your responses is making me really want to pick this up.

As someone who hasn't finished Oblivion, do you think this game would kill my desire to finish that one at some point (too hard to go back?)
I would suggest finishing Oblivion first.
Old 11-13-11, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by edstein
Reading books increases your speech as well. You don't have to go through all the pages just open it up. If you're getting over incumbered find a companion to go with you and unload stuff on to him. Just don't let him get killed deep in a dungeon like I did though.
I was given a Housecarl in Whiterun and unloaded a ton of stuff on her. Then I joined the Companions and they sent me on a quest with a companion and he replaced my servant. Now I own a house so I don't have to worry about it but that was annoying.
Old 11-13-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

second time game crashed on me. I really need to start saving every five minutes
Old 11-13-11, 01:17 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe I am an idiot...but is there a status page for your character? A page to show your stats, and if you have any disease at the time? I can't find it...
Old 11-13-11, 01:44 PM

The guys over at Giantbomb posted an hour long "quick look" at the game. This part is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgUm8VEWiU
Old 11-13-11, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
maybe I am an idiot...but is there a status page for your character? A page to show your stats, and if you have any disease at the time? I can't find it...
You can see any diseases by going to the magic menu and looking at active effects.
Old 11-13-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I was given a Housecarl in Whiterun and unloaded a ton of stuff on her. Then I joined the Companions and they sent me on a quest with a companion and he replaced my servant. Now I own a house so I don't have to worry about it but that was annoying.
I spent about 10 hours tooling around with Lydia. She just died for reals and I'm super bummed out. (I was unaware they could go down for good eventually.)
Old 11-13-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read that Xbox will get dlc 30 days before pc/ps3 versions
Old 11-13-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And In regards to the patch with no Internet, I thought I read you can dl the patch to a USB drive and update that way
Old 11-13-11, 03:07 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by superfro
I spent about 10 hours tooling around with Lydia. She just died for reals and I'm super bummed out. (I was unaware they could go down for good eventually.)
At least you got 10 hours. I got about 10 minutes because I went right next door to the Companions.
Old 11-13-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

So I have this guy following me around, can't give him any orders and can't seem to dismiss him. He just gets in the way of my sword and I get a bounty when I hit him. I try to kill him, it says last witness dead, but he comes back to life and just follows me some more!!
Old 11-13-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Just read that Xbox will get dlc 30 days before pc/ps3 versions
No surprise here. I really thought that Bethesda said that the game would be what they want it to be with little to no DLC added. I could have sworn that I read that earlier this year while they were finishing the game's development and being asked about forthcoming DLC.
Old 11-13-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Thanks alot, that will help. So getting speech higher is doing stuff like buying and selling, or just talking? I know it increased when I intimidated someone.
Buying/selling, persuading, intimidating, reading skill books, or finding someone who trains Speech will increase the stat.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
At least you got 10 hours. I got about 10 minutes because I went right next door to the Companions.
The Companion guy is only temporary for that one quest, so you should be able to get your former follower back once you've completed it. Her inventory should be retained as well.
Old 11-13-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359
So I have this guy following me around, can't give him any orders and can't seem to dismiss him. He just gets in the way of my sword and I get a bounty when I hit him. I try to kill him, it says last witness dead, but he comes back to life and just follows me some more!!
So you have an in game stalker? I hate when your companions get in the way during a battle.
Old 11-13-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Giant smash:

I removed the video as it was posted previously and somehow I missed it. Sorry!

Last edited by dsa_shea; 11-13-11 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 05:31 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Buying/selling, persuading, intimidating, reading skill books, or finding someone who trains Speech will increase the stat.

The Companion guy is only temporary for that one quest, so you should be able to get your former follower back once you've completed it. Her inventory should be retained as well.
How would I get her back? She just disappeared when I had the temporary companion assigned to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.