Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Mass Effect 3

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So lets say you had led a really good life with your soulmate, you had many children, grandkids, you travelled, you lived life to your fullest.

Then you get on your deathbed, your soulmate is by your side, and in the final hours, she essentially tells you your life together was a lie, that your children were fathered by your best friend, that your 'soulmate' never loved you and she played a giant act.

Sure your journey was awesome, but in those final moments, all you are going to think about is that betrayal. Does it mean your experiences as you lived that life weren't real experiences at the time? That you didn't enjoy that journey? No.

But does it tarnish it a somewhat? That everything you lived for and known was kind of a ruse or a lie?

hahahahahaahahahahahahaha

comparing this game's ending to such a ridiculous scenario.

hahahahaahahahahaha
Old 03-26-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
hahahahahaahahahahahahaha

comparing this game's ending to such a ridiculous scenario.

hahahahaahahahahaha
Piņata brought up the death angle, I decided to use it
Old 03-26-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My point is valid for 99.999999% of deaths (i.e. it comes when you aren't ready). Yours was a ridiculous anecdote.
Old 03-26-12, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's humorous to see all the crying about the ending, but I really hope Bioware doesn't actually change it. That would be setting a horrid precedent.

Fans should never have any overt influence of any form of entertainment/art.
Old 03-26-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
It's humorous to see all the crying about the ending, but I really hope Bioware doesn't actually change it. That would be setting a horrid precedent.

Fans should never have any overt influence of any form of entertainment/art.
Bethesda changed the ending of Fallout 3. For the better, I might add.

Games are just different, and different rules apply to their narrative/construction than do to traditional story-based media such as books or movies.
Old 03-26-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They should have changed the horrific gameplay of Fallout 3. Or was it actually worse than "Derelict Subway Crawler 2000" before? zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-27-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll just be over here working on my third playthrough of Fallout 3 and not taking that particular bait.

Except to say that you should try New Vegas, it's a better and more well-rounded game overall, with no subways that I can recall.
Old 03-27-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Not to derail thread but how did Bethesda change fallout 3 ending, in an expansion pack? I just started playing the GOTY edition today
Old 03-27-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your character originally died at the end of the main quest in the non-GOTY Fallout 3, regardless of any choices made throughout the game, unfinished sidequests, or anything else. It was a really abrupt, unsatisfying ending, and players weren't happy (sound familiar?). The expansion pack Broken Steel made it so that your character merely passed out rather than dying. It provided more resolution to the story through additional quests and allowed for total free roam after they were completed. It also upped the level cap and added additional enemy types.

It was a pretty major change to the original game as released, there was almost universal agreement that all the changes were for the better, and the art of storytelling did not die, so it's relevant to this discussion.
Old 03-27-12, 03:33 AM
Banned

So basically, no video game company can ever kill off their main character, or fans will absolutely lose their shit.

I assume it only worked for
Spoiler:
Red Dead
because you could take control of his son and still complete the precious side-quests at game's end.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 03-27-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys might want to spoilerify those endings to off topic games. This isn't their respective threads where the statute of limitations can be argued away.
Old 03-27-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I'll just be over here working on my third playthrough of Fallout 3 and not taking that particular bait.

Except to say that you should try New Vegas, it's a better and more well-rounded game overall, with no subways that I can recall.
I thought New Vegas was considerably more boring then Fallout 3
Old 03-27-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So basically, no video game company can ever kill off their main character, or fans will absolutely lose their shit.
I think the "abrupt, unsatisfying" part is the key. Your example only reinforces this, since the ending of that game was very emotionally satisfying despite what happened. People want resolution even if it's not happy fun time.
Old 03-27-12, 10:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah totally because thats exactly what all the complaints about ME3's ending are about.
Old 03-27-12, 10:32 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still think it is ridiculous to get so upset about the ending of Mass Effect 3. I understand hating it, but I just don't see how it ruins 3 amazing games...

I don't think killing off the main character is the reason for the hate though. I guess the best example I can think of is Bioshock. I am going to avoid spoilers but you had more than one ending possible with that game..and while a lot of people hated the final boss...I don't remember a lot of complaints about the actual ending....
Old 03-27-12, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmoney1023
Yeah totally because thats exactly what all the complaints about ME3's ending are about.
No, they're about game players being completely unable to deal with receiving an ending that doesn't tell them what happened to all their very-bestest favorite characters at the end as everything is wrapped up for them in a nice, neat little package. Far be it for a game company to try something different. If a TV show or a book (or hell, any other conceivable form of entertainment) pulled this, we'd all have to just accept it, but with a video game - no, we apparently have the right to demand a brand new ending, in some of the rudest ways possible.

So it was abrupt, so what? So it wasn't neat? Who really cares? You can make up a story for what happened to Garrus at the end, if not knowing truly pains you so. It doesn't ruin three games. It doesn't warrant fans returning their games to stores and demanding refunds while foaming at the mouth, and it certainly doesn't warrant destroying a company (People have actually been reporting Bioware to the BBB and trashing their rating over this crap).

The other 99.9% of Mass Effect was some of the greatest gaming I've ever had the pleasure of engaging in. The paragon ending of Priority: Rannoch was one of the most beautiful gaming moments I've ever seen ("Keelah se'lai"). Five minutes of starchild certainly doesn't ruin that for me.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 03-27-12 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 10:37 AM
gamer for life

and the thing is...why are we even talking about killing off the main character...
Mass Effect Spoiler

Spoiler:
he does not even die in one possible ending...and in truth he may be alive in all of them...

Mass Effect may have been about saving all life, but the games are very personal with your character and crew. We did not get closure with the ending. That is the main reason for the hate I think.
Old 03-27-12, 10:41 AM
gamer for life

No, they're about game players being completely unable to deal with receiving an ending that doesn't tell them what happened to all their very-bestest favorite characters at the end as everything is wrapped up for them in a nice, neat little package.
it does not need to be wrapped up in a nice neat little package...but it would have been nice to have a least a bit of a package...I think the ending of Bioshock lasted all of 2 minutes...if that
Old 03-27-12, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, they're about game players being completely unable to deal with receiving an ending that doesn't tell them what happened to all their very-bestest favorite characters at the end as everything is wrapped up for them in a nice, neat little package. Far be it for a game company to try something different. If a TV show or a book (or hell, any other conceivable form of entertainment) pulled this, we'd all have to just accept it, but with a video game - no, we apparently have the right to demand a brand new ending, in some of the rudest ways possible.

So it was abrupt, so what? So it wasn't neat? Who really cares? You can make up a story for what happened to Garrus at the end, if not knowing truly pains you so. It doesn't ruin three games. It doesn't warrant fans returning their games to stores and demanding refunds while foaming at the mouth, and it certainly doesn't warrant destroying a company (People have actually been reporting Bioware to the BBB and trashing their rating over this crap).

The other 99.9% of Mass Effect was some of the greatest gaming I've ever had the pleasure of engaging in. The paragon ending of Priority: Rannoch was one of the most beautiful gaming moments I've ever seen ("Keelah se'lai"). Five minutes of starchild certainly doesn't ruin that for me.
I agree demanding a refund is absurd and unfair to bioware but its not too much to expect some sort of resolution given all the detail they've put into the rest of the trilogy. If our Shep died while being able to save his allies and the galaxy, most wouldn't mind. Instead, we're given basically one unclear ending where most of your choices end up not really mattering.
Old 03-27-12, 11:12 AM
Banned

Also, I still think that if the Indoctrination theory is true, then the ending is freaking brilliant.

At this point, it would probably be in Bioware's best interest to just adopt it, even if that was never what was intended.
Old 03-27-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If a TV show or a book (or hell, any other conceivable form of entertainment) pulled this, we'd all have to just accept it, but with a video game - no, we apparently have the right to demand a brand new ending, in some of the rudest ways possible.
Ever heard of Sherlock Holmes? Or Great Expectations?

So it was abrupt, so what? So it wasn't neat? Who really cares?
Again, it's mainly the fact that it didn't make any sense and provided no closure that most people are upset about. The ending was nonsense, no matter how you look at it. I defy even the staunchest defender of the game to fully explain everything we saw and heard at the end in a way that makes logical sense.

It doesn't ruin three games. It doesn't warrant fans returning their games to stores and demanding refunds while foaming at the mouth, and it certainly doesn't warrant destroying a company (People have actually been reporting Bioware to the BBB and trashing their rating over this crap).
Agreed.

Also totally agreed!
Old 03-27-12, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, at least some good came out of all this: Gamers Send BioWare 400 Cupcakes
Proving once and for all that cupcakes are the solution to all of life's woes, a group of BioWare fans has organized a shipment of 400 delicious pastries to the Mass Effect creator's office in Edmonton, Canada.

Their goal is to protest Mass Effect 3's controversial ending by giving everyone at BioWare diabetes trying to prove a point about cupcakes all tasting the same or something? I dunno.

Posting on BioWare's official forums, user LoganKey writes:
We are currently trying to organize the delivery of a mass of cupcakes to Bioware's studio in Edmonton. All the cupcakes will be divided into equal parts Red, Blue and Green colors... but they will all taste exactly the same. If you'd like to participate, please check out the thread below and let us know.

This coming week, we should send Bioware boxes upon boxes of a dozen cupcakes. We are taking ideas as to what sort of notes we should have attached on each box. Some possibilities include:

- "No matter what color you choose, they all taste the same";
- "No matter what color you choose, it's all vanilla ;-D"
- "We rage because we love"
They've already raised $1,000 and enlisted the services of Edmonton-based pastry shop Fuss Cupcakes for their holy campaign.
I feel like this was the master plan all along. Well played, Bioware.
Old 03-27-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant bioware free cupcakes for life!
Old 03-27-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Today, most of the employees at Bioware, a video-game company, were found dead. Police suspect that the deaths were caused by allegedly tainted cupcakes from a group of fans that were protesting the Bioware/Electronic Arts video game Mass Effect 3."
Old 03-28-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Finally finished it yesterday. Although the Catalyst did not turn out to be what I expected, the end scenario played out pretty much as I thought it would
Spoiler:
(neither choice was 100% perfect and Shepard would bite it no matter what).
But I gotta say that, despite some dangling threads from ME2
Spoiler:
(why were the mechs being sabotaged where Shepard was rebuilt? Why was Anderson secretly meeting Cerberus agents? Etc.)
I really enjoyed it.

As for the ending I chose,
Spoiler:
I went for Synthesis since the other options felt hypocritical to me. Sure, either the control (Paragon) or destroy (Renegade) options would have ended the war but I would also be controlling or killing the Geth and EDI. That would go against the choices I made earlier to encourage EDI to be with Jeff and convince Tali and the Quarians to let the Geth evolve.

I did try the other endings after the fact. Was surprised to see the "deep breath" sequenced attatched to the Renegade ending. Sure, the Paragon ending wouldn't make sense with it (given Shepard was totally desintegrated) but I felt that extra bit of footage could fit in nicely with the Synthesis ending (since we only see Shepard get charred). In any case, if the "deep breath" is meant to be the "perfect" ending, it's a safe bet to assume that Shepard will be alive for ME4, even if he's no longer the series protagonist.

All in all, I don't feel the ending deserves the hate it gets.

Oh and as for
Spoiler:
how do you know which path to take at the end. Did no one notice that the pathways were color coded? The left was blue, the right was red, and the middle was a pale light (that later turned green if you chose that option).

I assume it only worked for
Spoiler:
Red Dead
because you could take control of his son and still complete the precious side-quests at game's end.
I thought it worked well in
Spoiler:
Heavenly Sword.

This is a lengthy, but very interesting fan-created read: A Logical Breakdown of Why the Mass Effect 3 Ending Makes No Sense

And despite the title, it's not an all-out negfest. It's more of a discussion of the theory that I mentioned earlier, and the one pinata alluded to a few posts above this one. It pretty much proves the argument (imo) that
Spoiler:
either Shepard was killed or knocked out before reaching the beam-me-up light, or the ending really does suck from a basic storytelling standpoint.
That's an interesting article. And seems like a logical scenario for an ME4.

Spoiler:
Mass Effect 4: The Search for Shepard

Here's some more concrete information on the Quarian/Geth situation I dug up, supposedly from the strategy guide:
Spoiler:
In order to bring out peace between the Geth and Quarians during this Encounter, you must:

1. Keep Tali Alive through Mass Effect 2.
2. Kill the heretics during Legions Loyalty mission, "A House divided" in Mass Effect 2.
3. Keep Legion Alive in Mass Effect 2.
4. Complete Geth fighter Squadrons misson

If these are all true, you then gain "points" for the Following.

1. Complete "Rannoch: Admiral Koris" (+1 point)
2. Save Admiral Koris during "Rannoch: Admiral Koris" (+1 point)
3. Save Tali from Exile in Mass Effect 2 (+2 points)
4. Destroy Heretic Geth in "A House Divided" in Mass Effect 2 (+2 points)
5. Broker peace between Legion and Tali in Mass Effect 2 (+1 point)

If you have fulfilled the plot elements required and have at least 5 points, you can persuade the Quarian Fleet to stand down using Paragon Persuasion (Note: I also did it using Renegade Persuasion). This is Extremely Difficult and requires four bars of Reputation.
Interesting because I
Spoiler:
reprogrammed the Heretics but still got the Quarians and the Geth to join forces.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-28-12 at 07:36 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.