DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/583224-uncharted-3-drakes-deception.html)

Deftones 11-01-11 12:46 PM

Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10987837)
So anyone picked it up today. I'm gonna try to get a copy after work.

just picked up my copy at BB. planning on giving it a whirl for an hour or two today.

mattysemo247 11-01-11 12:55 PM

Got my copy in the car :)

But won't be able to play it since I'm going out of town in a couple days :(

RocShemp 11-01-11 01:15 PM

I'll probably get my copy from BB after work. Just 2 hours more before I get the hell outta here.

Raul3 11-01-11 01:17 PM

Any idea how long is the game?

Also, I haven't followed all the ads, promos, etc. so, are they saying this is the "end" of a trilogy or just another Uncharted game?

foxdvd 11-01-11 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 10987977)

Also, I haven't followed all the ads, promos, etc. so, are they saying this is the "end" of a trilogy or just another Uncharted game?

I have also stayed away from spoilers...but I did hear 8 hours for the campaign...

I am also excited about the coop on this one....

foxdvd 11-01-11 01:24 PM

also...if you have no plans for coop or mp...the game, being as short as it is.....happens to be at redbox....

Raul3 11-01-11 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10987986)
I have also stayed away from spoilers...but I did hear 8 hours for the campaign...

I am also excited about the coop on this one....

Yeah, that's why I didn't google it.

But well, I checked Wikipedia, and this is not an "end of a trilogy", that makes sense, of course.

RocShemp 11-01-11 01:31 PM

I'm guessing 10 hours, like the last two.

Just another Uncharted game. Though a franchise, it's not a series. You can play them in any order. Also, there's a new Uncharted game (The Golden Abyss) coming to the PS Vita.

That said, many assume it's the last Uncharted release from Naughty dog since that was their approach to their other IP's (Jak & Daxter, and Crash Bandicoot). They would do three games and let someone else take over the IP.

davidh777 11-01-11 01:33 PM

Didn't order mine till Friday so will probably get it Thursday :( Might not be able to play it till Friday anyway.

High replay value for me and the kids so makes sense to buy, and this is the only series I buy on release day.

bunkaroo 11-01-11 01:54 PM

Picking mine up today but I've promised myself I won't start it until I finish Arkham City's main storyline, which I think I'm about 3/4 done. Can't wait to play this though.

Decker 11-01-11 02:09 PM

My New Egg copy shipped yesterday morning and arrived about 10 AM today. Looking forward to trying it, but might have to wait until tomorrow anyways.

Deftones 11-01-11 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by foxdvd (Post 10987988)
also...if you have no plans for coop or mp...the game, being as short as it is.....happens to be at redbox....

i bought it since it's one of those ones i get $100 total for buying 5 preorders at BB, plus I can trade it in at Amazon in 2 weeks for like $35. Figure I end up about the same considering the freebie and the trade in value.

boogieman03 11-01-11 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10988055)
My New Egg copy shipped yesterday morning and arrived about 10 AM today.

Same here. That was a nice surprise that it arrived so quickly.

I'm taking off from work soon to go play.

Gdrlv 11-01-11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10988031)
Picking mine up today but I've promised myself I won't start it until I finish Arkham City's main storyline, which I think I'm about 3/4 done. Can't wait to play this though.

I'm taking a break on Arkham City until I finish Uncharted 3. The Uncharted games are my favorite of this generation. Hopefully I can finish Uncharted 3 and Arkham City before Skyrim consumes my life.

discostu1337 11-01-11 03:44 PM

My fastest speed run time was 3hr 10min on Very Easy. If you take your time and collect every treasure, it takes about 4hr 30min. Crushing takes a bit longer, and I was able to platinum the game in just over 9hr once. Movies do not count towards the game time statistic.

Liver&Onions 11-01-11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 10988189)
My fastest speed run time was 3hr 10min on Very Easy. If you take your time and collect every treasure, it takes about 4hr 30min. Crushing takes a bit longer, and I was able to platinum the game in just over 9hr once. Movies do not count towards the game time statistic.

How long was your first playthrough, because that's the stat is is most important IMO.

discostu1337 11-01-11 04:41 PM

It was unplayable, so I really couldn't guess. We couldn't do a full playthrough without it being broken until mid September. I'd say it's much closer to 5-6 hours as opposed to 8-10 hours tough for 1 playthrough.

Deftones 11-01-11 08:54 PM

The beginning of this was horribly slow, but also interesting in learning some of the backstory of Sully and Drake.

RocShemp 11-02-11 06:28 AM

I enjoyed the heck outta this yesterday. Had to force myself to stop at chapter 8. I want this to last a while longer. I love how the exploration and puzzles have been expanded since the last game. You still have Nate's journal to help you along but now it doesn't outright spell out the answers (which makes the puzzles far more enjoyable).

I have to disagree with discostu1337's claim that the graphics aren't great. They are much improved over those of UC2 (which were already great). Even though the chateau is beautiful, I was already floored by the
Spoiler:
flashback sequence.
The only thing I feel looks poor are the
Spoiler:
spiders.

I'm liking the more deliberate pace of this game as well. It makes the shootouts stand out more for me. Though I got an unintentional laugh from the fact that
Spoiler:
all those henchment kept pouring in to fight Nate in Sully instead of fleeing the blazing chateau.

BTW, if you got yourself a great sound system, be sure to switch the dynamic range to "maximum" (and don't freak out when the BGM dips in volume just a tad). You'll be amazed by how nuanced the soundmix for this game is.

Deftones 11-02-11 04:32 PM

game is fun, but christ is it glitchy. guys doing the herky jerky dance. i just got stuck inside/outside of a building in the syria chapter. i had to restart from a checkpoint b/c it was all fucked up.

Liver&Onions 11-02-11 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10989528)
game is fun, but christ is it glitchy. guys doing the herky jerky dance. i just got stuck inside/outside of a building in the syria chapter. i had to restart from a checkpoint b/c it was all fucked up.

discostuleet was right!!!!

discostu1337 11-02-11 04:48 PM

lol. Syria has the most graphics drop outs of any level. I just popped the game in and got to Chateau....beginning of the game is still boring as hell. I figure I'll get all the treasures and play through it once.

UncleGramps 11-02-11 05:02 PM

I played the first hour or so and found it very entertaining.

MoviePage 11-02-11 05:25 PM

This game has been added to the Amazon B2G1 sale for anyone who's interested.

Raul3 11-02-11 08:51 PM

I played up until the middle or so of Chapter 7. According to the game, it took me 2:35 hours. There are 22 chapters in the game, so I guess it should take me around 8 hours in Normal.

I got stuck in 2 puzzles, until they gave me the answer. :(

I'm finding the game a little bit below Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 first chapters were EPIC. Graphics were amazing. Up until now, it feels just like another Uncharted game, nothing new, nothing better than its predecessors, nothing worse either. I'm having a hard time trying to adapt to the camera, the usual, standard, Uncharted camera that some people don't like. I usually adapt fast, for some reason it's taking me more time now.

I'm enjoying the game, I could play all day until I'm done. But I think I will continue tomorrow or over the weekend.