DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/583224-uncharted-3-drakes-deception.html)

glassdragon 10-24-11 01:10 PM

Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Honestly I can't imagine this game being a 7/10. Everything I've seen about it begs to differ. I hope you weren't being too hard on it just to be different like that one movie critic who only likes movies panned by everyone and hates movies that everyone loves :P

Decker 10-24-11 01:14 PM

I respect your right to have a contrarian position, but to me 7's are just better than mediocre and reading the available reviews, I have a hard time believing this game won't at least really impress me intermittently and provide an entertaining diversion. In other words, I'm more inclined to believe the higher scores.

And as much as I like a lot about Batman AC, it's not a perfect game by any means and doesn't deserve a perfect score. This might not either, of course, but regardless IGN was about right giving Batman AC a 9, IMO.

glassdragon 10-24-11 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 10977249)
The difference is that I'm not alone though...there's nearly 70 of us here :)
It's by no means bad, but a "masterpiece" is insanity. I'm sure you will all enjoy it though, and I am officially done talking about my thoughts in this thread.

It's cool man. Like Decker I definitely respect your opinion, but reviews can have a lot of things that go into the. I personally felt the first 2 were masterpieces so likely if they didn't change much i will feel the same. Maybe you didn't feel the others were, so if it were the same then this wouldn't be either and again that's just a matter of opinion and the person. No one can tell you that you liked something better than you did and that is awesome

I also agree with decker. Batman deserved a 9 not a 10. The game was great, but it didn't have the same feeling as when you first played AA and it was pretty much the best superhero game ever made at that point. It had it's flaws and UC3 may very well also. Either way i'm sure I will enjoy it immensely :)

discostu1337 10-24-11 01:33 PM

I loved uncharted 2! :)

glassdragon 10-24-11 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 10977289)
I loved uncharted 2! :)

Sorry if that came out as if I was accusing you of being some kind of uncharted hater, that wasn't my intention

The good thing about games and movies (or pretty much any media) is that they can mean very different things to everyone, and as such everyone may see it differently. We all have a guilty pleasure movie or game that no one liked, but we still loved. My comment was just to state that we don't know why you reviewed it the way you did because that was how you felt and the next 10 people may feel the same way or not, that is the beauty of games and why I love them so much.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is probably at least 1 person out there who likes Daiktana who isn't Romero, and that doesn't make them wrong, it just means that they just have a differing opinion which is great. Now whether they admit that they liked the game in public is a different story. :P

Solid Snake 10-24-11 02:10 PM

Look I loved Uncharted 1's tone and pretty much the game overall but it had it's issues. I'd probably give it an A- or a very strong B+. Uncharted 2 is an A quality game...didn't like like the multiplayer..had it's issues.

kgrogers1979 10-24-11 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 10977249)
The difference is that I'm not alone though...there's nearly 70 of us here :)

Yeah, but aren't you all playtesters who spent hundreds of hours playing an unfinished version of the game? That would mean you are all biased in the same regard. I doubt if there is any playtester of any game anywhere that loves the game they playtested for hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Decker 10-24-11 03:21 PM

Look, I don't mean to denigrate anyone's opinion and sincerely hope that discostu will come back to this thread and elaborate on what his issues were with the game once the rest of us get to try it out a bit and formulate our own opinions on it, but yeah, I have a hard time imagining that all seventy of these playtesters are so enlightened that they universally see these glaring faults that somehow 35 separate professional reviewers have failed to notice in their universal praise and aggregate Metacritc score of 94.

kstublen 10-24-11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337 (Post 10977236)
Lol, yeah. We have been laughing about the perfect scores all day at work. Of course it's going to get 9's and 10's though. I still stand by my 7/10 score. The game is boring to play with minimal action, and just graphically lacking. Batman didn't even get a 10 from IGN...sad.

Now, I haven't played the game yet and don't even see a reason to get into discussing the plot or game play...but from what we've seen thus far the animation of the fire and water looks incredible. If that's graphically lacking, I'd like to know what you consider great graphics.

RocShemp 10-25-11 06:54 AM

Where's your review, discostu1337? I'd like to read it.

Ocelot 10-26-11 11:47 AM

Beginning of the game is so bad compared to U1 and U2 in terms of fun... HUH? Unpolished? The footage I saw in the AMC Uncharted 3 event disagree.

Raul3 10-26-11 03:57 PM

Good points here:

http://kotaku.com/5853319/that-uncha...-talking-about

Basically a critic from Eurogamer gave the game 8/10. He has really good points about the series in general, we have talked about them here, in the threads for the previous games.

Decker 10-27-11 06:41 PM

One more U3 Dynamic theme:

LJRL-MMN3-2CK8

And if anyone else still needs a theme, skin or weapon from this promotion, let me know below and I'll try to get you one.

BTW : Holy shit, how many times must I play this "Instant Win" game before I win something...anything. I must have redeemed 25 codes by now and I still have no idea what the other side of that spinning coin even looks like.

sauce07 10-27-11 07:09 PM

^ code taken. Thanks.

thelwig14 10-27-11 08:05 PM

16% in. Love it so far.

tlwizard 10-27-11 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10981961)

LJRL-MMN3-2CK8

And if anyone else still needs a theme, skin or weapon from this promotion, let me know below and I'll try to get you one.

BTW : Holy shit, how many times must I play this "Instant Win" game before I win something...anything. I must have redeemed 25 codes by now and I still have no idea what the other side of that spinning coin even looks like.

If no one else takes you up on it, I'll still take a skin or weapon (or even the Subway Home suit!)

thelwig14 10-28-11 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10982994)
I've always had issues with the Uncharted gameplay, it's just stiff, linear, and downright automated in places. However I overlook those issues because of the atmosphere, environments, character and story. That said realistically, the game series has always been right around an 8 out of 10, the puzzles are too easy, the gunplay isn't particularly exciting, and the unnatural flow from gameplay to the scripted events... yet it's still one of the best game franchises of this gen.

Puzzles are slightly harder this time (not saying much).

Gunplay is still very average (possibly worse since it has never been improved though the new hand to hand combat is better--similar to but not as polished as Batman).

The transitions between gameplay and scripted events are better this time, but the second half of the game is not as good as the first half so far.

Raul3 10-28-11 01:12 PM

One thing I've criticized in the previous games, specially in the second one, that they extend the ending too much. You think you are almost done and they add a new mission/stop that doesn't really fit. The game can be really solid at ~6 hours, but at ~8 hrs becomes too repetitive at the end.

I really hope they improved in that for this release.

RocShemp 10-28-11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 10981961)

LJRL-MMN3-2CK8

Can you PM me a dynamic theme code so I can redeem it when I get home from work?

RocShemp 10-28-11 01:43 PM

I just read the Eurogamer review. I don't get the big deal. 8/10 is a damn good score and he listed many valid complaints that have existed since the first game. :shrug:

Decker 10-28-11 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10983278)
I just read the Eurogamer review. I don't get the big deal. 8/10 is a damn good score and he listed many valid complaints that have existed since the first game. :shrug:

Totally agree. Can't believe this review is considered "controversial" - an 8.0 seems like a decent score to me. His big complaints seem to be that the game plays like an Uncharted game, which is sort of ridiculous. I guess I can see what he's complaining about, but it's a little silly -- sort of like knocking MvC3 in a review for not being able to stealthily sneak by an opponent instead of fighting him. The games are what they are and I don't really want to have the mold broken, even if that means limiting my freedom somewhat.

iNCREDiPiNOY 10-28-11 04:58 PM

Just received Uncharted Trilogy Collection (Spanish) Steelbook.

http://i44.tinypic.com/adgf29.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/e6w07m.jpg

RocShemp 11-01-11 11:52 AM

So anyone picked it up today. I'm gonna try to get a copy after work.

foxdvd 11-01-11 12:08 PM

got mine from newegg...so it will not be delivered until tomorrow...

Gdrlv 11-01-11 12:20 PM

Picking it up over lunch. Gonna be a long afternoon at work.