DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/583224-uncharted-3-drakes-deception.html)

slop101 11-05-11 08:38 PM

Re: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

About half way through it and figure I'll throw my hat into the opinion pool as well...

Couple instances of "off" graphics aside, it's pretty well-made and all, but it's frustrating how the game plays you instead of letting you play it; more so than that previous games even. Naughty Dog seems much more interested in telling a story and showing off an experience than creating a game. It's almost the polar opposite of Arkham City, where you were overwhelmed by too much to do, here, there's ONLY ONE way to go, and fuck you if you deviate from that one way - they're telling a story here!

dsa_shea 11-05-11 08:46 PM

I thought this part was a bit silly

Spoiler:
Where you have to protect yourself from the spiders while she tries to open the door that she went under that you could have also went under. It made no sense to me why that had to occur other than to add that silly little shooting section.

I also loathe having to fight those stupid big guys while being shot by other enemies. It is a bit unfair and one sided. I am having fun playing it and think it is well made aside from these gripes.

I thought that these parts were awesome:

Spoiler:
The chase scene through the streets after that right hand man and escaping the sinking ship.

I am just after that part right now.

Deftones 11-06-11 01:29 PM

anyone want a code for this for multiplayer? it was whatever best buy offered. i think it had something to do with quicker regeneration for multi player. i beat the game and sold it. first person here to post they want it (that's been here a few years or so) gets it.

Brewc 11-06-11 01:53 PM

I will take it

dsa_shea 11-06-11 02:22 PM

I beat the game and enjoyed it for the most part. Now I am working on cleaning up the treasures and most of the other trophies. Eventually I will get around to trying to beat it on Crushing but will likely not do that until it is the last trophy and I'll probably just do it a few levels at a time. I haven't Platted any of the Uncharted's yet but I'll give this one a shot.

Deftones 11-06-11 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brewc (Post 10994508)
I will take it

sent via pm.

Obi-Wanma 11-06-11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 10994546)
I beat the game and enjoyed it for the most part. Now I am working on cleaning up the treasures and most of the other trophies. Eventually I will get around to trying to beat it on Crushing but will likely not do that until it is the last trophy and I'll probably just do it a few levels at a time. I haven't Platted any of the Uncharted's yet but I'll give this one a shot.

I platted both of the first 2. Neither was really that hard, IMHO.

dsa_shea 11-06-11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 10994871)
I platted both of the first 2. Neither was really that hard, IMHO.

I hope to eventually get around to this. Hell, I stopped playing Uncharted 2 at the part where you have to stealth around that fountain and the guards and never went back to it. I also never actually finished the last chapter of the first one either. So I guess that so far Uncharted 3 has been the only one to get the job done of getting me to stick with it and actually finish the game.

musick 11-06-11 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 10994897)
I hope to eventually get around to this. Hell, I stopped playing Uncharted 2 at the part where you have to stealth around that fountain and the guards and never went back to it. I also never actually finished the last chapter of the first one either. So I guess that so far Uncharted 3 has been the only one to get the job done of getting me to stick with it and actually finish the game.

-eek-:scratch2:

dsa_shea 11-06-11 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 10994946)
-eek-:scratch2:

I just got frustrated with that part and moved on to something else. There wasn't anything there that just called my name to jump back in. However, after finishing 3 last night I am determined to finish both 1 and 2 sooner than later. It is going to be tough knowing that I already had my Darth Vader moment though and nothing I will see from the first 2 will top it.

RocShemp 11-07-11 06:12 AM

The part with Harry Flynn? That's practically the beginning of the game. And it was real easy to boot. Hell, I actually looked for all the guards just to get one of the ninja medals. :lol:

dsa_shea 11-07-11 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10995197)
The part with Harry Flynn? That's practically the beginning of the game. And it was real easy to boot. Hell, I actually looked for all the guards just to get one of the ninja medals. :lol:

Easy for you but frustrating for me. No matter how I tried to sneak past them they always caught us with their flashlights.

RocShemp 11-07-11 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 10995769)
Easy for you but frustrating for me. No matter how I tried to sneak past them they always caught us with their flashlights.

Sneak up behind them and quickly hit square. You'll choke them or slam their heads against a hard surface.

musick 11-07-11 10:56 PM

I'm on Chapter 17 now and I have to say this game sure has picked up since when I was on Chapter 9

Groucho 11-08-11 01:34 AM

Stupid question: in "Hunter Arena" how do I put an idol in the chest? I pressed every button and nothing happened. Meanwhile, my partner saunters up and drops his right in.

musick 11-08-11 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10996371)
Stupid question: in "Hunter Arena" how do I put an idol in the chest? I pressed every button and nothing happened. Meanwhile, my partner saunters up and drops his right in.

if Hunter Arena is just a co-op version of Plunder (assuming it may be) than you don't press anything ... you just walk up to the open end of the chest and the idol will drop into it .... assuming you are trying to deposit the idol into your chest and not your opponents (in which case nothing would happen)

RocShemp 11-08-11 08:54 PM

Did anyone notice how in the E3 trailer, Chloe and Elena looked better than in the finished game? Heck, even the lighting in the bus scene appears far more natural than "bloom set to max" lighting in the same scene as presented in the finished game.

MrX 11-11-11 01:59 AM

I finished it tonight. I agree with a lot of the comments here. The game does drag at the start, but I thought it was fantastic after you leave Syria.

Some of the melee scenes took much too long.

RocShemp 11-12-11 08:07 AM

Apparently there's an update out that addresses an issue with this game with Sony 3DTV's specifically.

UncleGramps 11-14-11 11:19 AM

Finished it over the weekend. It's an amazing game, but for some reason it didn't connect with me the same way that Uncharted 2 did. Regardless, it's a must-play if you enjoyed the earlier games in the series, and I thought it wrapped up the trilogy's story in a satisfying way.

davidh777 11-14-11 12:49 PM

I found this part really annoying as well (maybe because I don't play stealth games, but I kind of dig the stealth moves in UC). (Also doesn't help that I have memories of my console YLOD'ing during it.) Once I got past it, though, I loved the rest of the game, so if you like #3, you might want to go back to 2.

FuQ 11-16-11 01:34 PM

I think this is one of the best game experiences I've had. I cannot wait until the next gen where it will be almost be like playing a live action film. The gun scenes suck but I like the melee system. I do love the story and set pieces. The sound and acting in this game is superb.

mattysemo247 11-16-11 06:09 PM

I’m about an hour in so far and love it. Yeah, it has some of the same flaws as the others in the series, but the voice acting and story have been great. Feels like the same old Uncharted, which is good enough for me.

davidh777 11-18-11 09:48 PM

I was in chapter 10 in the
Spoiler:
Yemeni marketplace
and was oddly amused when I could
Spoiler:
kick over the vendors' wares
. I also genuinely
Spoiler:
jumped out of my chair right afterward when Talbot jumped me from around the corner

Raul3 12-05-11 01:14 PM

I'm bored so:

Spoiler:

Callout Mod for AK-47 (MP)
JHFQ-LANN-9M98

Something(U3 Beta Tester Avatar?)
EHR6-BDN4-ME9R