Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DS Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
DS Recommendations?

First, for a 6 year old will the XL be too big? It'll mostly be used in the house and longer car trips. He won't be carrying it everywhere, so my guess it would be fine.

Second, what games are best for the younger kids? I got Toy Story 3 and Phineas & Ferb Return, but maybe others would be better? He loves the Wii Mario games (Kart, NSMBW), but I didn't want to get the same games on the DS that we already have on Wii. By the way, the Wii is mostly for me; the 6 year old does not have two video game systems. We don't spoil him that much :-)
Old 11-24-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DS Recommendations?

Get him New Super Mario Brothers and Mario Kart. Easily worth it as both games are different than their console counter parts and are two of the best games for the system. Gamestop is currently runing a buy 2 get one free on used games if you want to save a little money. Also, they are selling used DS lites for $70 (I think) on BF.
Old 11-24-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Get him New Super Mario Brothers and Mario Kart. Easily worth it as both games are different than their console counter parts and are two of the best games for the system. Gamestop is currently runing a buy 2 get one free on used games if you want to save a little money. Also, they are selling used DS lites for $70 (I think) on BF.
Thanks for the info. Reason I asked about the XL is because I actually have both purchased, and need to decide which to keep. I got a regular DSi from Target for $119 ($127 after tax) on Sunday, but Amazon had a Lightning Deal on the XL for $139 this morning so I bought it too thinking I would return the DSi.
Old 11-24-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by bralph
Thanks for the info. Reason I asked about the XL is because I actually have both purchased, and need to decide which to keep. I got a regular DSi from Target for $119 ($127 after tax) on Sunday, but Amazon had a Lightning Deal on the XL for $139 this morning so I bought it too thinking I would return the DSi.
I'd return the XL. It would probably be a bit big for him.
Old 11-24-10, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is he into Pokemon? If so, you've got a new babysitter.
Old 11-25-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Spongebob games are appropriate for that age, but they're really easy and don't offer much replay value. Ditto the suggestions on the Mario games. I got my now-8-year old a DS two years ago, and he still goes back to Mario Kart and NSMB.

Ditto the rec on returning the XL. My boy is big for his age and the XL is still pretty unwieldy. We opted for a DSi. (Which he loves.)

Amazing how much their gaming tastes/abilities change in just a year or two. That he can play the EA sports games and Scribblenauts (a must-buy, IMO) when just a year ago he struggled with some more basic games is very cool to see.
Old 11-25-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Amazing how much their gaming tastes/abilities change in just a year or two. That he can play the EA sports games and Scribblenauts (a must-buy, IMO) when just a year ago he struggled with some more basic games is very cool to see.
My kid is the exact opposite. It seems as though he is becoming less intelligent as he gets older :/