Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Super Mario All-Stars (US release - December) $29.99

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 447 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: Super Mario All-Stars (US release - December) $29.99

Originally Posted by DarthPrime
I hope your copy arrived in better condition than mine did.
It arrived in great condition, as they padded the shit out of the box - it was just stuffed with paper and bubble padding, so the game didn't even budge during shipping - but it's just such an obscene waste of paper and plastic.
Old 12-16-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the bubble envelope too, but fortunately it arrived unscathed. I do loathe those plastic stickers that seal the outer box, though. I lost some of the logo from the top of the box when I removed the one sticker.
Old 12-16-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I had the bubble envelope too, but fortunately it arrived unscathed. I do loathe those plastic stickers that seal the outer box, though. I lost some of the logo from the top of the box when I removed the one sticker.
I just sliced it nicely, and left the two halves on the box. Didn't want to risk it.
Old 12-16-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I just sliced it nicely, and left the two halves on the box. Didn't want to risk it.
Clearly you had more foresight than I did.
Old 12-17-10, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
It arrived in great condition, as they padded the shit out of the box - it was just stuffed with paper and bubble padding, so the game didn't even budge during shipping - but it's just such an obscene waste of paper and plastic.
That's good. I had enough paper for a small box in mine (it covered less than 1/2 the box). I guess they got in a hurry trying to pack mine up. Not sure.
Old 12-17-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 462 of these in stock at the original low price on Amazon right now, so if you want it and can't find it, buy it quick.
Old 12-17-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

As much as I've complained about this, I still find myself wanting it. What is wrong with me?
Old 12-17-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't find this anywhere. I really don't NEED to get it, but it sure would be nice to have all the games in one place with the updated graphics...
Old 12-17-10, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
As much as I've complained about this, I still find myself wanting it. What is wrong with me?
It's a very well put together set for what it is... and the price is great. If you're a Mario fan, which I'm sure you are... just get it.
Old 12-18-10, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got home from visiting my parents and walked into a local Gamestop here and they still had a couple of copies of this. So needless to say I snagged a copy. I echo the sentiments of the stupid stickers on the box and while I didn't lose anything, I had to leave them on there too and just slice the bottom. The box is pretty awesome looking too, it is a shame they screwed it up with a last minute detail (stickers).
Old 12-18-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just checked Amazon on this one, and I thought it was retailing for $29.99. It's listed as "4 in stock" selling right around $50. Is that Amazon's going rate, or is that the MSRP?
Old 12-18-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
I just checked Amazon on this one, and I thought it was retailing for $29.99. It's listed as "4 in stock" selling right around $50. Is that Amazon's going rate, or is that the MSRP?
No, the MSRP is $30. Those retailers are just taking advantage of the demand. Note that it's not sold directly by Amazon.
Old 12-18-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the deal with people not finding this? I'm seeing it everywhere from Best Buy to CostCo to ToysRUs.
Old 12-18-10, 02:20 PM

What's the deal with people not finding this? I'm seeing it everywhere from Best Buy to CostCo to ToysRUs.
They seem to be going quick this week in my area. Toys R Us was sold out. Target had 3 left on the shelf, and as did Best Buy. I feel like alot of parents are buying it as a spontaneous purchase while shopping for their kids.
Old 12-18-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got like 10 left at my Target
Old 12-18-10, 06:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe with the success of Mario All Stars they will do the same with Zelda. I know someone already talked about the collectors editions for the Gamecube but it would be nice to get a Zelda collection along these same Mario lines.

Having said that, they better not forget the SNES Zelda game like the 25th forgot Super Mario World. After opening the package and playing Mario 25, I almost get pissed that they failed to include what many people consider the best Mario game ever. Really Nintendo? Was it really that hard to port another game over? It's not like you put much effort in changing ANYTHING about the SNES Collector's game. Assholes.
Old 12-18-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by david12
Maybe with the success of Mario All Stars they will do the same with Zelda. I know someone already talked about the collectors editions for the Gamecube but it would be nice to get a Zelda collection along these same Mario lines.

Having said that, they better not forget the SNES Zelda game like the 25th forgot Super Mario World. After opening the package and playing Mario 25, I almost get pissed that they failed to include what many people consider the best Mario game ever. Really Nintendo? Was it really that hard to port another game over? It's not like you put much effort in changing ANYTHING about the SNES Collector's game. Assholes.
Again, SMAS never included Super Mario World. They did happen to release a cartridge of both SMAS and SMW later on, but SMW isn't really a part of SMAS.

Second, the Zelda games are already on the Virtual Console. It would seem that most fans that want them on the Wii have already bought those.
Old 12-18-10, 11:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

But they DID release SMAS with SMW later on. Should it matter that it didn't come out originally with the very first SMA version? I mean, if Nintendo felt the need to add SMW later in the SNES lifecycle, then why not just port that version over to the Wii for the 25th. It was good enough and important enough then...but not now? It's as though they believe that the only Mario releases that are worth rereleasing are the original Nintendo versions. That's stupid, and if it's a reason of "if they really want SMW, they can get it on the virtual console" then that's unfair to the Mario fans who are spending $ for a limited edition 25th edition of the biggest Nintendo property.

No matter what you think of IGN, they gave this release a 7.0. Four of the greatest and most iconic games ever, and it gets a seven. If Nintendo put forth a bit more effort with the set, this would have got the much deserved ten. No Super Mario World, a half hearted CD, and a book that looks as though it was 'written' in half an hour. "You, Mario music guy...tell us ONE thing about this particular mario game...but only one because that's all the space that you are worth." It's not as though this property means anything to the Nintendo company.

I'm happy I bought the game, I really am...but no true fan can call this set comprehensive or worth the 25th status.
Old 12-18-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I paid $21 total for these titles on the VC when they came out 2-3 years ago (back when Nintendo knew about the VC). $29 including SMW. I'm happy with that. I'll probably never play them again either. No need for a disc with the same stuff for a system I never bother to turn on and then worry about extra wear & tear on a mostly idle DVD drive.
Old 12-18-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by david12
But they DID release SMAS with SMW later on. Should it matter that it didn't come out originally with the very first SMA version? I mean, if Nintendo felt the need to add SMW later in the SNES lifecycle, then why not just port that version over to the Wii for the 25th. It was good enough and important enough then...but not now? It's as though they believe that the only Mario releases that are worth rereleasing are the original Nintendo versions. That's stupid, and if it's a reason of "if they really want SMW, they can get it on the virtual console" then that's unfair to the Mario fans who are spending $ for a limited edition 25th edition of the biggest Nintendo property.

No matter what you think of IGN, they gave this release a 7.0. Four of the greatest and most iconic games ever, and it gets a seven. If Nintendo put forth a bit more effort with the set, this would have got the much deserved ten. No Super Mario World, a half hearted CD, and a book that looks as though it was 'written' in half an hour. "You, Mario music guy...tell us ONE thing about this particular mario game...but only one because that's all the space that you are worth." It's not as though this property means anything to the Nintendo company.

I'm happy I bought the game, I really am...but no true fan can call this set comprehensive or worth the 25th status.
The thing is that SMW is already available on VC, and the other games are not - the 8-bit versions are on VC, but not these 16-bit versions.
Old 12-18-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing is that SMW is already available on VC, and the other games are not - the 8-bit versions are on VC, but not these 16-bit versions.
Never having owned SMAS myself, I don't find this to be a compelling reason for me to buy the disc (obviously). I get that some do as it's the only real reason to consider it. That being said, I do find the thought to be counter-intuitive to the "purist" mindset when it comes to celebrating the Silver Anniversary.

These discs are meant more for the Wii owners that don't know about VC or have their systems online or are savvy enough to purchase them. It's far easier for Nintendo to slap the original SMAS rom onto a disc and let the VC take over. Doesn't explain why they neglected the SMAS+SMW version, really.

*this post is not directed at you or anyone, slop, I just merely quoted you as a starting point for my own thoughts*
Old 12-19-10, 01:13 PM

The DRM issues with the virtual console are reason enough for me to buy it.
Old 12-19-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

I played through SMB this morning. First time I've finished that game in ages. I don't recall ever playing the All-Stars version on the SNES. I've had the original from the VC on the hard drive forever but only played it a few times. Despite the disc, I think it will be much easier to go back to with the prettier graphics and improved soundtrack than the VC version. I also think Mario controls a lot better. He didn't seem as stiff as the original version.

After playing through though, man it would have been cool to have this whole package redone in the NSMB graphics. Also, I don't think SMB2 was touched so technically you are getting 3 "remastered" games, not 4.
Old 12-19-10, 04:24 PM

SMB2 was indeed updated to 16 bit graphics
Old 12-19-10, 09:11 PM

This thing is a total sellout here. I looked everywhere to no avail. Since when does limited edition actually mean limited?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.