Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox Live Gold Pricing is Changing starting November 1st, 2010!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Live Gold Pricing is Changing starting November 1st, 2010!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Xbox Live Gold Pricing is Changing starting November 1st, 2010!

"When it comes to XBL, $10 might as well be $10,000 to some folks."
Old 08-30-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
"When it comes to XBL, $10 might as well be $10,000 to some folks."
Old 08-30-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Nice callback.
Old 08-30-10, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm paid up through March 2012. That's good enough for my purposes. I've been playing online less and less, so who knows if I'll renew at that point.
Old 08-30-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
At $30, it was a rip-off (for my purposes, mind you) but I've put up with it up under the illusion I was getting a deal.

After this, I'm pretty much done with Live Gold. I rarely used it, so it's dumb to keep it going. Online gaming on the PS3 and PC is free. Online gaming on the Wii, DS and PSP, although mostly useless, is still free. Netflix on the Wii, PS3, PC and on most DVD/BD players on the market now is free (no extra past your subscription fee, of course). Other than (currently) being better populated over the PS3 network, what are you paying for? ESPN3? Deal of the Week? Really? Pay $60 a year to save $5 on a six month old XBLA game or save $2 on DLC that would have just been part of the game out of the box last generation?

I'm sure the value is still there for Halo and Call of Duty players, Rock Band too, but it's the biggest rip-off in video gaming for somebody that only plays online occasionally. I spent $30 last year to play Left 4 Dead for a few weeks and Bioshock 2 for a few weeks, both I could have gotten on PC and played for free.. without sub-30FPS visuals and a superior control method.. AND the games would have been $10 cheaper a pop.

Edit: Not to mention all the added content L4D/L4D2 gets for free on PC versus paying for on Xbox.
I rarely get my money's worth either. I don't like COD online because so many people are super pros and a noob doesn't stand a chance. And with so many multi games out there, it is hard to find a match on older titles. M$ greed is the reason why a MMO can not come to Xbox.

PS3 will definitely get a leg up when DC universe comes out. I miss the days when PC was king of FPS and you could play tons of mods for free. Fond memories of Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942.
Old 08-30-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Any price increase sucks but I get my money's worth on LIVE. I play almost every day and for all of the many years I've been on I've rarely had an issue with it. I've dealt with less LIVE outages than some Cable companies. In fact, I've had more issues with the XBOX hardware than LIVE.

I'm caught up through 2012 and I'm sure I'll find ways to pay less than $59.99 when the time comes to renew.
Old 08-30-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pricelock/default.htm
Originally Posted by Xbox.com
Take advantage of limited-time savings.*

Act now to save on Xbox LIVE gold before the price goes up.

Upgrade or renew today and save more than 30% off the new price.

12 Month Gold membership starting November 1, 2010 $59.99
Lock in a low one-year price now $39.99
You save $20.00
Now THIS is deceptive advertising. The price goes up on 11/1/10 and this deal expires on 10/31/10. This deal saves you $10, nothing more than that. It's bad enough to raise prices, they don't have to essentially lie to the consumer as well.
Old 08-30-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

This thread has reminded me how little online gaming I've done. I can't even remember the last game I played online. I won't be re subbing to live unless I get it for x-mas.
Old 08-30-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
This thread has reminded me how little online gaming I've done. I can't even remember the last game I played online. I won't be re subbing to live unless I get it for x-mas.
but you get FREE Netflix and FREE on-line gaming with your paid subscription.
Old 08-30-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Any price increase sucks but I get my money's worth on LIVE. I play almost every day and for all of the many years I've been on I've rarely had an issue with it. I've dealt with less LIVE outages than some Cable companies. In fact, I've had more issues with the XBOX hardware than LIVE.

I'm caught up through 2012 and I'm sure I'll find ways to pay less than $59.99 when the time comes to renew.
Indeed, if you play every day, it's probably a great deal (even if it's free elsewhere).

If they had something more economical for people that only play occasionally, I could still consider paying for it.
Old 08-30-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Complete non-issue. I don't notice my one-a-year-automatic renewal and I won't notice it being $10 more. The service is well worth it.

Anyone who can't swing an extra $10 a year has some serious budgeting problems.
Old 08-30-10, 04:30 PM

To me, the $10 bump isn't that much of a burden. Thanks to frequent gaming sessions with my best friend in Hawaii, it's well worth it to me. But it's really hard to get over that they're competing with a near-identical service on the PS3 that's actually FREE and they still felt the need to hike rates by 20%. Yes, their service is better, but in all honesty it isn't all that much better. I'm really surprised at the rate hike for that reason mostly.
Old 08-30-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the people that have played MP games heavily in both systems, what are the advantages, if any, of Xbox Live?
- Voice chat across games? or something like that.
what else?

I know that for most people downloading a game/demo is much, MUCH faster in Xbox Live compared to PSN, in general.
Old 08-30-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I when people defend live and say how you can have silver account free. That's so kind of MS to let me download and buy games from them for free
Old 08-30-10, 05:39 PM

I when people defend live and say how you can have silver account free. That's so kind of MS to let me download and buy games from them for free
Well, it allows for chat. So that's nice. But compared to PSN? Yeah, not so great.
Old 08-30-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The $10 hike isn't a big deal to me either. But, I haven't played online with my Xbox since I've had it. I use my TiVo for Netflix. The couple game discounts I've actually got with Gold isn't worth it.

I won't be renewing.
Old 08-30-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Yeah Capcom should pay for half ure bill...
Old 08-30-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Yeah Capcom should pay for half ure bill...
They already said "no".
Old 08-30-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone on destructoid made an interesting comment:

'Weird that this starts right at the same time as the Family Pack bundle. Coincidence, I THINK NOT !'
Old 08-30-10, 06:34 PM

Someone on destructoid made an interesting comment:

'Weird that this starts right at the same time as the Family Pack bundle. Coincidence, I THINK NOT !'
Of course, someone else on the site made this interesting comment:
Fuck Microsoft. I've been pretty high on the 360, but fuck 'em.

I'll be playing games on the PC and PS3.

I don't need all the stupid shit on XBL, I just need online play and I'm not paying $60 for that.

Greedy fucking pig fuckers.
Old 08-30-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

PSN may be free (I have a PS3 as well as a 360) but no one I know plays on it. So it doesn't matter how free it is, it will never be "worth it" to me as an online gaming platform.
Old 08-30-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I use XBox Live primarily for Netflix and occasionally for online gaming, but I'm not good enough or play often enough to have compelling games with someone who probably sits and plays video games all day and night. For me at least the Netflix part is worth it because the interface is no much more smoother than using my Samsung BR Player. My BR player will only play the movies that are in my queue, while XBox has the queue and all the different categories/genres, along with new releases you can add as well. The service is worth it to me.
Old 08-30-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm one of the few people who plays mostly smaller games online like Catan, Carcassonne, and Magic. If smaller stuff like that goes pay-to-play, my days of gaming are over, or at least relegated to single player. The big stuff, time and time again, I've been burned on. I buy it, get a few months of play out and rarely do I find myself going back to it. I sold MW2 and for my FPS fill I still go back to Far Cry 2, Quantum of Solace, and Perfect Dark.

I'll still get Gold, just because I've saved enough money on the Deals of the Week over the past year or so to pay for 50% of the online cost.
Old 08-30-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm obviously not the target market, but this doesn't sound good.

The major new improvements have been Netflix, Last.fm, Twitter, Facebook, and now ESPN, HuluPlus and Video Kinect, right?

Netflix requires the NF membership - which is fine, I understand that.
Last.fm requires the free Last.fm account.
Twitter and Facebook are only partially implemented and to me nowhere near as convenient as using them on a PC, even as little as I do use them.
Hulu Plus will cost money on Hulu's end as well, I believe.
ESPN - um. First, most of the athletes and personalities on ESPN get paid tons of money, then most major sporting events or venues are subsidized by taxes anyway [something else I have a problem with], so paying for it doesn't make sense to me. Of course, I also couldn't care less about sports and sports news, so this is totally not for me.
Video Kinect - ok, you can only video chat with Gold. Oh yeah, you have to buy a 150 dollar Kinect as well.
So, I use Netflix and Last.fm....I could always plug my iphone/ipod directly into my reciever, and while I like Netflix, it's free on the Wii [though I haven't tried it yet so i don't know how it works], and probably the PS3 as well.

Higher price for additional services I will never use - not a bargain for me. And yes, "it's only ten bucks more" which admittedly isn't that much. But now comes the point where I decide to go ahead and stock up next time they're <40 bucks and plan to save, or realize that I'm really not getting my money's worth right now, and I'll get even less of my money's worth in the future.

Oh yeah, and I don't game online a lot - I prefer single player or couch co-op.
I did buy a few of the Gold Deals of the Week, but I've also won enough points to cover the delta.

I think this is the wrong move at the wrong time.
Old 08-30-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I play Halo, Borderlands and a select few others online so I get my money's worth so a $10 increase isn't too bad. Personally, I hope people put their money where their big talking internet mouths are and cancel in droves. It's the only way MS will get a clue. Unfortunately I won't be one of those people.

Originally Posted by Draven
PSN may be free (I have a PS3 as well as a 360) but no one I know plays on it. So it doesn't matter how free it is, it will never be "worth it" to me as an online gaming platform.
Ding. Ding. Ding. Couple that with a terribly uncomfortable and outdated controller, everyone lacking headsets, bigger pool of players, no party chat, etc. and free just doesn't seem to matter as much. It's the whole package, not just simply playing games online or not.

Originally Posted by dtcarson
ESPN - um. First, most of the athletes and personalities on ESPN get paid tons of money, then most major sporting events or venues are subsidized by taxes anyway [something else I have a problem with], so paying for it doesn't make sense to me.
Do you pay for cable? If you do, you are paying $4 a month for ESPN whether you watch it or not. That's what they charge the cable co. for EVERY cable subscriber that has an ESPN channel (aka everyone who has the basic 60 channel tier). The cable company conveniently passes that $4 on to every subscriber they have.

A fee was inevitable, but I was hoping it would have been subsidized in some way myself since I doubt it will be a fully functioning channel like on television. I'm imagining something akin to 1vs100 where you have blades showing game times and you can log on at that time to view a specific game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.