Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Killzone 3 (February 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 07:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Killzone 3 (February 2011)

I played it for a while last week at an event in Toronto. They had the full retail game playable, so I played several sections. I was really impressed with it, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

The Move/Sharpshooter combo worked pretty well, but I preferred the DualShock. Which is good, because I don't feel like spending any extra money.
Old 02-21-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I wonder if this article is true? 4.5 hours is too short.
http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5130/ki...urs-long-proof

I enjoyed the demo a lot. I'll probably pick it up later.
Old 02-21-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Loved the demo as well. Most of the reviews have been great, and even if the Single Player game is short, you can replay with co-op and it has a very deep online competitive multiplayer. It sounds like it has far more "legs" than tomorrow's other shooter.

Games UK did state they finished the multiplayer campaign in 4 1/2 hours. Haven't found any others that comment on that short a campaign. How long were the Call of Duty Black Ops and Halo Reach single player campaigns for comparison?
Old 02-23-11, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Having gotten burned out on Modern Warfare, this is a nice change of pace.

Played a little of the single player, which was as good as I expected. Great feeling of being in the middle of something.

But, online is what I was after here. I enjoyed Killzone 2's multiplayer and this is just as fun. I really like the new "leveling" system. I play as a medic, and have already maxed out my special abilities, which is nice. I get plenty of bonuses during matches since not too many people like to play the medic class, but it's fun for me.

What a great looking game. The Snowdrift level is maddening in it's realism. Darn snow blowing around and obscuring my vision just enough not to see that up close melee kill coming my way! I think I got my throat cut 3 times in a row on that level running around snow blind!
Old 02-23-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really enjoying it too, been doing a bit of single player so far last night and will try multiplayer today. I love how satisfying it is shooting each of the various weapons, they have a great feel to them and are much more accurate than in KZ2. I am finding it harder than I thought on the default difficulty. There's been 2 or 3 segments I've had to redo 5 or 6 times to pass which I don't seem to recall happening often in KZ2.
Old 02-24-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played some multiplayer the other night and yesterday. Very fun, much like KZ2, a bit slower and more methodic/tactical than MW2 which is good in my book. The instant melee kills are annoying as hell though. I almost wish there was a quicktime event to pull them off or get out of one.

If anyone here wants to form a squad and play feel free to add me. PSN name is the same as my name here without the space.
Old 02-26-11, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

love, love, love the KZ2 retro maps .... hope they do maps for all the KZ2 ones
Old 02-26-11, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Played some multiplayer the other night and yesterday. Very fun, much like KZ2, a bit slower and more methodic/tactical than MW2 which is good in my book. The instant melee kills are annoying as hell though. I almost wish there was a quicktime event to pull them off or get out of one.

If anyone here wants to form a squad and play feel free to add me. PSN name is the same as my name here without the space.
I agree. Running and gunning won't get you too far, especially when you go rambo into a room and see gun/missile bots, enemies uncloaking, and proximity mines everywhere.

I think I have you on my friends list from the MW2 PS3 nights. If you see me online, send me an invite and I'll join in.

Originally Posted by musick
love, love, love the KZ2 retro maps .... hope they do maps for all the KZ2 ones
This may actually be my first ever DLC purchase. Great maps, as I recall.
Old 02-26-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm having fun, but my only complaint with the multiplayer is that the levels are so cluttered with debris, that your enemies get lost among all the detail.
Old 02-26-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

This may actually be my first ever DLC purchase. Great maps, as I recall.
If you didn't get the Retro Map Pack from a preorder, you can get them with Slurpee points at www.Slurpee.com. There are a few free codes that will get you most of the way there, but it's 10 points so you'll probably require a trip to 7-11 and a large Slurpee purchase.

Don't know if all these universal codes work, but it's worth a try:

HFTQ-SGQZ-CTPM
GRDC-PGGC-CXKM
ZWMT -LPSJ-SFMQ
BSBV-MJTB-DNQN
ZPNV-WZPX-HHFR
GZHM-VJWT-XGJJ
Old 02-26-11, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

So far only tried MP, I like it a lot... never bothered with MP on K2.

Will try the campaign after finishing Bulletstorm.
Old 02-27-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
I wonder if this article is true? 4.5 hours is too short.
http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/5130/ki...urs-long-proof
Yup, that's about right.

Just finished the campaign, and while it was fun and really well done, it was WAY too short (at least it didn't have any unnecessary padding or redundancies - though it was SO short, a little padding may have helped), and could've used another chapter or two.
Old 02-27-11, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got to play this last night. I'm enjoying the campaign and think the multiplayer is a lot of fun so far. I only got into Killzone 2's MP about a couple of months ago, and the skills/technique I learned there translated very well. I won and was on the top three in every match that I played last night.

I know that some people don't like the fact that K3's MP was tweaked to be a bit more generic, but I don't think that the changes are that bad. I love that you can start out as any class you want and build them up. In K2, you had to unlock each class one at a time and only then could you build them up. That killed a lot of the fun for someone new to the game who had nothing to counteract all the higher ranked players/classes.
Old 02-28-11, 09:32 AM

...probably require a trip to 7-11...
7-11 left the building in my area of the country

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I love that you can start out as any class you want and build them up. In K2, you had to unlock each class one at a time and only then could you build them up. That killed a lot of the fun for someone new to the game who had nothing to counteract all the higher ranked players/classes.
That was pretty frustrating when I started playing Killzone 2. I couldn't peek around a corner without getting decimated by the more powerful guns that people who had been playing awhile unlocked.

So far, I've found the matches pretty well balanced early on, although medics are probably the least played class (I play medic exclusively) I rarely run into matches that don't have a good variety of classes.

I could play Warzone all day. That's my favorite game mode.
Old 02-28-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny I find I play as a medic or engineer the most. Seems like placing turrets is good depending on if it's a body count/defend target from explosives/territory control and medic is great all around. I find I use tactician and marksman the least.
Old 02-28-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I have been really impressed with the multiplayer so far. For all of you who might be interested We are hosting a Killzone 3 night on Wednesday night as part of the rotating game nights this week. Check my sig for the link.
Old 02-28-11, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by cruzness
I have been really impressed with the multiplayer so far. For all of you who might be interested We are hosting a Killzone 3 night on Wednesday night as part of the rotating game nights this week. Check my sig for the link.

Cool! Do you rotate the game types, I'm still useless on team death match no matter what game it is.
Old 02-28-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Cool! Do you rotate the game types, I'm still useless on team death match no matter what game it is.
I'm up for whatever. This will be the first semi-organized run on KZ3 so we'll run through a little bit of everything.
Old 02-28-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Will we need the downloaded maps or will we use the ones that are on the disc? i just don't know if I want to spend anymore right now.
Old 02-28-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah I may be down for that starting next week, great idea!
Old 02-28-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stick with what is free for now.
Old 02-28-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Argh had my first multiplayer freeze up. Was playing operations as ISA on the frozen dam. I had retrieved and placed all 3 batteries and had killed various enemies/revived teammates and it just froze up while I had like 3000 points. Oh well!
Old 03-01-11, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Argh had my first multiplayer freeze up. Was playing operations as ISA on the frozen dam. I had retrieved and placed all 3 batteries and had killed various enemies/revived teammates and it just froze up while I had like 3000 points. Oh well!
I had that happen in Warzone (when I finally was able to join a game....which is frustrating) last night. I was placing a final charge then an explosion knocked me out and it froze.

They've got some bugs to work out for sure, but it's too fun not to play.
Old 03-02-11, 01:21 AM

The multiplayer has been a bit of a mess lately. It takes a looong time to get into certain gametypes and they are usually pretty empty when you do get in. On top of that, it has frozen on the loading screen three times for me. Then, I got an in game freeze for the first time in that TDM gamtype that locked up my system so badly that I had to pull the plug. Finally, it rarely gives you the option to vote on what map to play. Usually you just get stuck playing the same map over and over again.

It's strange that the multiplayer ran much smoother at launch. Usually, that's when it has the most difficulties.
Old 03-02-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Finally, it rarely gives you the option to vote on what map to play. Usually you just get stuck playing the same map over and over again.

It's strange that the multiplayer ran much smoother at launch. Usually, that's when it has the most difficulties.
there is a glitch with the Salamun Market map ... if you get stuck repeating this map you have to back out to the map selection screen ... select a different map and once you get into that game with a different map you will then be in the voting cycle for maps after that initial game

Repeated Blood Gracht & Salamun Market matches.
We’ve already identified the cause of this problem, it is related to the ‘ANY” map selection preference, and we should be able to get a fix out soon in one of upcoming patches. In the meantime if you get trapped repeatedly playing either Blood Gracht or Salamun Market, you can quit your game, then within Find Match > Map Selection, choose a non DLC map. The game will place you into the map you have selected when you attempt to join a game, and once your match is finished, map voting will happen as normal and you can vote on whatever map you wish. We understand this isn’t an ideal solution and will try and get this resolved a.s.a.p.
http://community.killzone.com/t5/Kil...ht/true#M82437

that was posted on 2/23 and it is now 3/2 .... I wouldn't say MP ran smooth at launch ... it's been a clusterfuck since day 1 (actually before if you count the issues with connecting during the beta)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.