Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Official Rock Band Thread of Music Game Evolution

Every time I hear Toadies, I'm upset I'm not hearing Toad the Wet Sprocket.
Old 12-07-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably in for Possum Kingdom. Don't know the other songs and didn't recognize them in the preview video.
Old 12-07-12, 02:41 PM

Wowowow, Tyler is my favorite Toadies song. Really pleasantly surprised that is coming.
Old 12-07-12, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Every time I hear Toadies, I'm upset I'm not hearing Toad the Wet Sprocket.
Toad the Wet Sprocket did a bunch of re-records of their well-known/hit songs from their Sony-controlled material (the rights to their first two albums reverted back to them recently) and I'm surprised that a few of them haven't at least shown up via RBN. The "All I Want" re-record was used in "Homeland" though.

The recent Marcy Playground DLC was frustrating to me considering my introduction to MP was seeing them open for Toad in summer of '97 before they were even one-hit-wonders. Toad has always been spectacularly uncool but there are certainly less-deserving bands available in the game.

But yeah, you can check out the re-records on their "All You Want" album and their first album of new material should be coming soon (after 16 years!) so I don't necessarily think any windows of opportunity have closed for Toad appearing in Rock Band. If anything the recent Toadies/Smash Mouth/Marcy Playground/Black Crowes DLC has shown them embracing 90's music a little more.
Old 12-07-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
If anything the recent Toadies/Smash Mouth/Marcy Playground/Black Crowes DLC has shown them embracing 90's music a little more.
Plus Sublime, 311, Dave Matthews, Matchbox 20 and Collective Soul(RBBlitz).

Not a fan of all of them, but a big to finally getting to the 90s.
Old 12-07-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I only check this thread occasionally (so this may have been mentioned before) but I just recently started playing around with Rock Band again and when going thru the store, I was surprised to see two really big songs in the RBN instead of "official releases."

"Naughty Naughty" and "St. Elmo's Fire (Man In Motion)" which are both by John Parr.

Naughty Naughty is a lot of fun to play. I don't pay much attention to the music on the RBN but was really surprised to see both of these hits on there. Just wanted to mention it in case someone else may be interested in them as well.
Old 12-07-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Plus Sublime, 311, Dave Matthews, Matchbox 20 and Collective Soul(RBBlitz).

Not a fan of all of them, but a big to finally getting to the 90s.
You're right. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a Toad announcement.

The re-records are extremely well-done too. They don't really strive to be note-by-note recreations of the original Sony recordings. They incorporate some of the slightly-different live arrangements and the production is a bit more sparse in a way that doesn't sound like an Unplugged album. One benefit of that is that it could practically all be charted to the Rock Band peripherals. No guests. No over-production.

This has been in the back of my mind since the re-records came out but now I'm really wanting Toad in Rock Band again. Damn. When everyone was listening to Nirvana and Nine Inch Nails in junior high I was an unabashed Toad the Wet Sprocket fan who could wear a different Toad shirt to school every day of the week which is actually kinda badass in an "A Boy Named Sue" kinda way.
Old 12-07-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

As someone who went to college in Santa Barbara in the late-80s, Toad was sort of our REM -- the local band that made it "big",
Old 12-14-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You people are slippin'.

* “The Bitch is Back” – Elton John O

* “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” – Elton John O

* “I’m Still Standing” – Elton John O
I haven't been able to play in a long time due to an injury to my arm. I can sing, but that's it. Really miss playing guitar/bass.
Old 12-14-12, 10:03 AM

More Elton John? I'll take it. That's an "A" level get if I do say so myself.

There's a lot of consternation and bitching going on in the RB community right now over the amount and quality of songs selected for this pack, but so it goes. I have to imagine that licensing Elton has to be a big old pain in the ass and HMX is doing the best they can on this one.

Would I want a 12 pack of his greatest hits? Of course! But I'll take two if that's all they can get. I hope it opens it up for more down the road.
Old 12-14-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the bitching is because one of the songs is a dupe from Blitz, and 90+% of the RB community probably already own Blitz (other than Wii people). So they feel that putting it out like that was a waste of a slot.
Old 12-14-12, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I think the bitching is because one of the songs is a dupe from Blitz, and 90+% of the RB community probably already own Blitz (other than Wii people). So they feel that putting it out like that was a waste of a slot.
Oh, I totally missed that. Well, that is pretty lame then. You can't even buy a three-pack at a discount now.

And as much of an Elton fan as I am, I don't think "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" is a good choice unless you just love playing keys. It's probably boring as hell on Guitar, Bass & Drums
Old 12-14-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shagrath
You people are slippin'.
It's because I've been off for many Fridays in a row so I'm not out of bed to post. No one else cares.
Old 12-14-12, 06:10 PM

It's because I've been off for many Fridays in a row so I'm not out of bed to post. No one else cares.
Correction : We don't care enough to post the news. We all still care enough to whine and complain about the weekly announcements.
Old 12-14-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still care and check both network and regular songs every week. Just most of the time I come out of it a little disappointed. I still look though all the time like clockwork.
Old 12-14-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I'm saying is that we used to race on posting the announcement around here. Now we're slacking because I'm snoozing/hungover.
Old 12-17-12, 05:10 PM

Just in case anyone here is in the market : The Mustang Fender Pro guitars for all systems are $49.99 at Mad Catz through tonight. For me at least, shipping comes to $8.99. I'm nowhere near good enough to need the Pro guitar, but others might want one (or an extra perhaps).

What I need is a new set of drums and those are incredibly hard to find for some weird reason.
Old 12-18-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

The GoD version of RB3 is $10 (or 800 MS points) right now. Also, the keyboard is $20 at gamestop. There are plenty of PS3 and wii versions around here and no 360 versions within a hundred miles.
Old 12-18-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Just in case anyone here is in the market : The Mustang Fender Pro guitars for all systems are $49.99 at Mad Catz through tonight. For me at least, shipping comes to $8.99. I'm nowhere near good enough to need the Pro guitar, but others might want one (or an extra perhaps).
The bundles are currently available at Amazon for around $50 with free shipping. Ordered one the other day. The bundle includes the Mustang, a copy of RB3, and codes for five Chili Peppers tracks. I don't need the copy of the game, but the bundles are cheaper than the Mustangs by themselves.
Old 12-21-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks who's awake today!

Hey gang,

A three-pack from alternative rockers My Chemical Romance is headed to the Rock Band Music Store on December 25th!

“My Chemical Romance Pack 01” kicks off with “Helena,” the third single from the band’s 2004 debut record, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. “Teenagers,” from the band’s follow up record, 2006’s The Black Parade, will also be included. Finally, “Sing” – which originally appeared as part of Rock Band Blitz, which is available now on PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE Arcade – is included as part of the pack. This track, from 2010’s Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, was a huge single for My Chemical Romance, reaching number 2 on Billboard’s US Alternative Song charts.

As a bonus, Rock Band Blitz players who play any songs by My Chemical Romance will earn double coins for each play!

Available on Xbox 360 (December 25th, 2012) Wii (January 2nd, 2013) and PlayStation®3 system (January 8th, 2013 on SCEA and January 23rd, 2013 on SCEE):

* “Helena” – My Chemical Romance O

* “Teenagers” – My Chemical Romance O X

* “Sing” – My Chemical Romance O

Price:

$5.49, £3.19 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points™) for the “My Chemical Romance Pack 01”

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points ™, 200 Wii Points™) per song
Old 12-21-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another RBB fraud...
Old 12-21-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like we can probably guess what artists are going to be happening for the next 15 weeks or so.
Old 12-21-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Old 12-21-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll definitely get "Teenagers" - the song's catchy as Hell - but it's disappointing that they're rolling out these RBB tracks for individual sale at the expense of a third, different song.
Old 12-21-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'd be one thing if the price to entry on the RBB pack was prohibitive, but at $15 for 25 songs, it was crazy already. Let alone the half price sale it's already seen on XBLA. You'd have to be certifiably insane to pass up that deal even if you only liked 3 or 4 songs of the 25. Anyone that was holding out because they only wanted a very specific song or three needs to be drug out into the street and shot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.