Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by superfro
FYI...new Radiangames release (Fluid) coming to XBLIG........tonight!

http://radiangames.com/?p=351
Based on the past 3 games, I will buy it sight unseen.
Old 10-21-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I'm probably going to buy it to play with my daughter as well.

There is one problem with the game (as for playing with kids). There are no voice-overs so all the text must be read. Many of the conversations auto-advance and advance pretty quickly. Several times I have not been able to read the text out-loud quick enough before it advances to the next bubble. That was in the demo.
This.

I think it's a problem even if you're playing it yourself. For me, the text is too small to read quickly on my HDTV and then it will auto-advance on you so you're Catch 22'd into trying to read it quickly.

I think my oldest would like to play this but IMO it should have had at least some voice-overs.
Old 10-21-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gooter
This.

I think it's a problem even if you're playing it yourself. For me, the text is too small to read quickly on my HDTV and then it will auto-advance on you so you're Catch 22'd into trying to read it quickly.

I think my oldest would like to play this but IMO it should have had at least some voice-overs.
It is a small studio so I can understand no voice overs... but at least make me hit a button to advance the dialog. My 6-year old gets a kick out of reading everything and this game would be perfect for us to slowly play together and practicing reading. With no voice and quick autoforwarding dialogs it will be a little rough.
Old 10-21-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

It is a small studio so I can understand no voice overs... but at least make me hit a button to advance the dialog. My 6-year old gets a kick out of reading everything and this game would be perfect for us to slowly play together and practicing reading. With no voice and quick autoforwarding dialogs it will be a little rough.
Maybe they'll patch it. Couldn't be too hard... I might find myself at their website sending them a quick message to consider allowing us to advance the text.
Old 10-21-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Maybe they'll patch it. Couldn't be too hard... I might find myself at their website sending them a quick message to consider allowing us to advance the text.
And some of it already is right? So I'm sure why they wouldn't have done the entire thing.
Old 10-21-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim and others are chatting it up right now on Facebook: http:///deYOJP http://apps.facebook.com/kinectchat-costume/ (stupid forum rules)

Go tell 'em!

Last edited by pinata242; 10-21-10 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-21-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

The tiny text and the rapid advancing was strange. As were the lack of sound effects. If they can't do voices, at least put in some sort of Banjo-Kazooie sound effects. Or at least a noise like the user-made levels of LBP have. The lack of sound was a very weird decision. I regret calling it a "turd" before. That was too harsh. But it's a weird and disappointing game. So much style and humor wasted on very boring gameplay, poor controls and pedestrian combat.

At least it came out. I saw in OXM that they reviewed an XBLA game - an Atari remake called Haunted House. They didn't like it much, giving it a 5.0 or 5.5. If that game doesn't get released next week (and it's not been announced yet), they should probably just scrap it.
Old 10-21-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haunted House came out on Steam already, I beleive.
Old 10-22-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI...new Radiangames release (Fluid) coming to XBLIG........tonight!

http://radiangames.com/?p=351
Up on the marketplace

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Pr...5-d802585506a2

Only 80 space points. Buy this now! Every game this guy has put out has been really good or great.
Old 10-22-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping to get the chance to review it as I have the last three games.
Old 10-22-10, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'm hoping to get the chance to review it as I have the last three games.
1: Where are your previous reviews? I'd like to read them.
2: Does this mean you're holding off buying a $1 indie game in hopes of getting it for free? Because that sounds pretty cheap-ass.
Old 10-22-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
1: Where are your previous reviews? I'd like to read them.
2: Does this mean you're holding off buying a $1 indie game in hopes of getting it for free? Because that sounds pretty cheap-ass.
1. They are on www.gamerswithcasts.com.
2. Eh, it's not really a matter of "holding off," but we have gotten review codes from them for everything else.
Old 10-22-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
1. They are on www.gamerswithcasts.com.
2. Eh, it's not really a matter of "holding off," but we have gotten review codes from them for everything else.
Give the man a dollar!

I found the blog post on why they release the game when they do intersting. It is the reason I bought it this morning rather than waiting until I got home.
Old 10-22-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fluid gameplay trailer.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9Rm9OAIf5Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9Rm9OAIf5Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-22-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Fluid gameplay trailer.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9Rm9OAIf5Y?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9Rm9OAIf5Y?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Looks fantastic. I'm in.
Old 10-22-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Purchased.

This guys is building an empire of games just like in Tron.
Old 10-22-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just won Fluid off his Twitter account and I had previously won Crossfire. I need to get off my ass, spend the $2, and complete the collection.
Old 10-22-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I just won Fluid off his Twitter
Old 10-22-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

IGN: Three Ways Pac-Man Championship Edition DX Is Even Better

Spoiler:
Ghosts 'n Stuff
Traditionally, Pac-Man has only had to contend with four ghosts chasing after him. In DX, dozens, maybe hundreds will be on his tail. Ghosts are found sleeping around the maze and will wake up and chase after Pac-Man when he passes by. The longer you wait to eat a Power Pellet, the longer the ghost train will become. Finally chowing down on a conga line of ghosts is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences you'll have this year. While you earn points for eating dots and fruit, too, the biggest chunk of your score will come from your ghost intake.

Way More Content
The original Championship Edition was centered on the Championship course with a couple extra courses thrown in for good measure. DX includes ten courses, most of which are brand new.

* Championship II: An updated version of the Championship course from the first game.
* Championship I: The original Championship course.
* Highway: An updated version of the Extra-1 course from Championship Edition.
* Junction: A new course with many warp zones.
* Spiral: A new course with several whirly bits.
* Manhattan: Namco wants to keep this one a secret for now.
* Free Manhattan: Another secret!
* Dungeon: New course where it's easy to find yourself trapped by the ghost train.
* Half: New course with cookies placed on just the left half. This one will take some thinking.
* Darkness: New course for skilled players where only the areas around cookies and ghosts are visible.

Retro Skins
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX lets you choose from a variety of map and character visual styles in every game. Want to play a round with the 3D look of 1987's Pac-Mania? Or a pixilated Pac-Man? You can. Some of the options may be a little impractical if you're serious about your high score (they may be distracting), but they all look great.

Videos and ads at the link.
Old 10-22-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sold. Now give it to me so I can hand over my money.
Old 10-23-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fluid is good, but it's not quite as addicting as Inferno was IMO. I think it's more of a small doses game. That said, I got rather annoyed when I got my first 5 star level and realized I'll have to spend even more time on it than originally planned.
Old 10-23-10, 10:03 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finished up Costume Quest and loved every minute of it well worth $15.
Old 10-24-10, 11:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Francis Rizzo III was right on the money with the review for Serious Sam: The Second Encounter.

i dl'd the demo and hours later i was still playing and having so much fun. i am not sure if the demo ends and the only difference is you can't save to the HD and thus lose all progress when turn off, but after some serious game time and just having a ton of fun i bought the game and thankfully could save permanently.

it isn't an easy game (having never played the Doom's, Quake's or whatever other on-rails FPS this game harkens back to) and with exactly as he describes hundreds of enemies coming at you at once, with the volume of characters, the volumes of weapons at your disposal it makes the experience so thoroughly enjoyable. not to mention the lush 3D enviornments, that yes, look a little dated, but just seems to fit this remake.

seems like a long game as well, so for me the pts were justified. and there is also some thought involved which i was surprised and like as well. you really need to distinguish between which weapons will work best with certain hordes of enemies. there isn't one sure fire weapon and if there was you'd certainly run out of ammo clobbering with just it. the sheer awesomeness of some are just stupidly fun. even the simple chainsaw provides oodles of entertaining slayings.

you also have to be cautious about when to save. sure, you can save at any moment, but if you do and you have too little health you might get screwed and it might be best to get killed and start from a fresh save, beat it with a good amount of health, save and then move on. of course, forgetting to save after you just killed an arena full of baddies and then die can be a frustrating experience, but replaying the section is not unwelcome.

all these characteristics and more really makes for a surprisingly fun little FPS.

nice review Francis!

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-24-10 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so after I dogged Fluid for not being too addictive, I've been playing it a lot this weekend. I have about half at 5 stars, the rest at 4 except for stupid level 24, which took me forever just to get to 3 stars. Gah!
Old 10-24-10, 07:05 PM

Inferno and now Crossfire are underpriced at 80 points. Fluid feels like an 80 point game, but at least it's a good one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.