Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

Er, a quick and dirty Google shows something from a year ago saying it's about 50% of Live accounts and another showing that two out of three 360s are even online. So, what, roughly a third of people that have Gold? That's not counting people that have it but may not use it often (like myself). So yeah, I guess it's definitely a majority. shrug.gif.
Worked for GWBush - twice.
Old 08-04-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Offline 360s are pretty fuckin' moot in this discussion about an XBLA game, aren't they?
Old 08-04-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Er, a quick and dirty Google shows something from a year ago saying it's about 50% of Live accounts and another showing that two out of three 360s are even online. So, what, roughly a third of people that have Gold? That's not counting people that have it but may not use it often (like myself). So yeah, I guess it's definitely a majority. shrug.gif.
It certainly does look like you really want to have nothing more to say on it for sure.
Old 08-04-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I sure would like if this thread started leaning back towards how the old ones were.
Happy to oblige. I think all these Summer of the Arcade games are too expensive by 400 points. However I'll probably still buy them all and play them twice. Then I'll probably whine when they go on sale in three months from now.

Old 08-04-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Offline 360s are pretty fuckin' moot in this discussion about an XBLA game, aren't they?
When talking about splitscreen as a feature? How so?
Old 08-04-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Happy to oblige. I think all these Summer of the Arcade games are too expensive by 400 points. However I'll probably still buy them all and play them twice. Then I'll probably whine when they go on sale in three months from now.

It's classic marketing - overcharge, but offer a rebate to make people spend more.
Old 08-04-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
When talking about splitscreen as a feature? How so?
they wouldn't be able to download it in the first place.
Old 08-04-10, 01:02 PM

It's classic marketing - overcharge, but offer a rebate to make people spend more.
One thing I always find funny about myself is that when I want a 1200 point XBLA game, I always can justify it since the points cards are cheaper on Amazon, it's like I'm getting the game for $12, which seems reasonable for a game like PQ2. But when it's a game I'm hesitant to buy at full price, I always look at the MSRP -- "I can't justify paying $15 for three hours of Limbo; I'll wait for a sale". Perception can be funny that way.
Old 08-04-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing I always find funny about myself is that when I want a 1200 point XBLA game, I always can justify it since the points cards are cheaper on Amazon, it's like I'm getting the game for $12, which seems reasonable for a game like PQ2. But when it's a game I'm hesitant to buy at full price, I always look at the MSRP -- "I can't justify paying $15 for three hours of Limbo; I'll wait for a sale". Perception can be funny that way.
Old 08-04-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Soooo, PC gamers? Wii Gamers? PS3 gamers?

I guess I don't understand your comment here unless you are trying to trump up indie cred by saying true gamers eschew online gaming. I'm not going to assume that is what you are meaning though, because thought would be laughably obnoxious.
Welcome to the ignore list.
Same.

I guess wishing for local co-op in a game I was interested makes me out of touch and "looking for indie cred" though.

While I am completely fine with folks ignoring me (just like XBL - shape your online experience!) - I do have to point out for everyone here who still reads my posts and has a modicum of reading comprehension that I was not in fact accusing Pixy of trying to gain indie cred. As a matter of fact, I specifically said I was assuming I misunderstood his comment because I know how much he hates to look like he is being alternative for the sake of being alternative.

But who knows, the selective quoting of my post does allow for making reference to it in quotation marks and tag a post with that cool martyr thing so I completely understand why one would want to intentionally misread what I said and then quote it out of context.

I'm just sad that I can't be splitscreen discussing things on the forum. I have to pay for internet access and then chat with you guys which means I never get to high-five Fro or Piñata.
Old 08-04-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

they wouldn't be able to download it in the first place.
Huh? Silver members can download games.
Old 08-04-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow..that Silver program is better than I thought!

(The key isn't Gold vs. Silver, it's online vs. offline.)
Old 08-04-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But then that would be a unit classified as being online.
Old 08-04-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Right. Download game with Silver and play offline splitscreen co-op.
Old 08-04-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're just fucking with us now.
Old 08-04-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The argument was being made that 2/3 of the Xboxs aren't online. That's what sparked the above comments. There is no mention of them being temporarily online and usually offline. The data sample seems air tight, so I'm not sure you could really throw that wrench of an idea in there.
Old 08-04-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by superfro
The argument was being made that 2/3 of the Xboxs aren't online. That's what sparked the above comments. There is no mention of them being temporarily online and usually offline. The data sample seems air tight, so I'm not sure you could really throw that wrench of an idea in there.
Old 08-04-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
I think you're just fucking with us now.
Nope, just misread Pixy's numbers as Live users.
Old 08-04-10, 06:20 PM

Anyone curious about what next week's SotA game Monday Night Combat will be like? Here's a four minute trailer introducing the six classes available in the game (Assault, Gunner, Sniper, Support, Assassin and Tank in that order). Somehow it reminds me of another shooter I've played on the PC in the past, but can't quite put my finger on which one...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/saKrTcH3wO0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/saKrTcH3wO0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Yeah, it's not getting me too excited either. Lara Croft, please save us!
Old 08-04-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The buzz on the Lara Croft game seems pretty positive. Co-op Diablo-style play sounds good to me! That might end up being the only Summer of Arcade game other than Limbo that I end up getting.
Old 08-04-10, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm very curious about Monday Night Combat. I know it's gonna get tackled with the Team Fortress stuff, but it looks like it could be fun. I like a lot of the design stuff centered around the game. Like this in game "sponsor" upgrade stuff. I'm a sucker for elements like that.
Old 08-04-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am also pretty curious about Monday Night Combat. Maybe the demo will impress me.
Old 08-04-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

No, that one was great. It also had a pretty good shelf-life. Ticket To Ride and Snoopy lasted like a week online (though both those games are playable in single-player versions). I wonder how people who spent 1200 points on Death Tank felt about the return on their investment.

I think with Castlevania HD though, we're talking about a very different sort of multiplayer experience than 1943 though since the former requires cooperative play and team strategy and the later is just good old fashioned adversarial deathmatches. I'm curious to see how the general public takes to this game.

Anyone here planning on getting the game this week (and by that I mean like paying for it with real virtual currency)?
How were Ticket to Ride and Snoopy? I am trying to buy a more more XBLA games and I am not sure what to get. So far I have Zuma, Final Fight, Afterburner, Panzer General, The first Ninja Turles game, and Risk.

I also thought about Shadow Complex, and maybe the Kefflings game.

Any ideas?
Old 08-04-10, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
How were Ticket to Ride and Snoopy? I am trying to buy a more more XBLA games and I am not sure what to get. So far I have Zuma, Final Fight, Afterburner, Panzer General, The first Ninja Turles game, and Risk.

I also thought about Shadow Complex, and maybe the Kefflings game.

Any ideas?
Shadow Complex is great, great, great. Unbelievably great.
I like Snoopy. It's very cute and surprisingly fun. The spiritual successor to Crimson Skies.
Kefflings isn't deep or at all challenging, but it's kind of addictive fun in a Sims-meets-Sim City-sorta way
Ticket To Ride is a nice card/board game, but you'll have to play against AI because nobody plays online and I don't think it has local multiplayer (which apparently is an important feature for some people). Try the demo.
Old 08-04-10, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by superfro
I'm very curious about Monday Night Combat. I know it's gonna get tackled with the Team Fortress stuff, but it looks like it could be fun. I like a lot of the design stuff centered around the game. Like this in game "sponsor" upgrade stuff. I'm a sucker for elements like that.
For starters, if ever there was a game asking to be compared to Team Fortress 2, it's that one. If you're going to totally rip its art style, any comparisons are totally fair game.

I really wonder what this game's raison d'etre is. Really, what is this game's ceiling? If absolutely everything works brilliantly, you're still left with a competent TF2 clone with a much smaller and rapidly decreasing online community. If you already own TF2 on the PC is there any reason on earth to buy this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.