Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Edit: Granted, the online feature will still exist if you setup a time with someone else and do it, but you get what I'm saying hopefully.
But that is kind of my point. Organizing a split-screen session requires the same effort. Basically the best case scenario for split-screen play requires the same effort of the worst-case scenario of online play (in this case an abandoned online community).

Also, organizing a group online through a clan, forum, or with a huge number of friends not limited by proximity is hella easier.
Old 08-04-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by superfro
I think without a doubt online co-op and multiplayer is a HUGE selling point for the majority of consumers.
When you say "majority of consumers" do you mean you?

Realistically, this is only a HUGE selling point for the VERY narrow demographic of Halo players.

Realistically, that VERY narrow demographic probably has very little interest in this game to begin with.

I'm not saying local co-op would better sell the game, but online co-op isn't helping it either.
Old 08-04-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love playing multiplayer and I hate playing Halo. I think there's an awful lot of hyperbole being thrown around here and it's very, very tiring.
Old 08-04-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're seriously making the case that more gamers want local co-op over online co-op?

And you think that caters only to Halo players?

Last edited by superfro; 08-04-10 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
I love playing multiplayer and I hate playing Halo. I think there's an awful lot of hyperbole being thrown around here and it's very, very tiring.
You weren't aware that Halo is the only game anyone ever plays multiplayer? Were you also aware that by liking said game you are obviously a knuckle-dragging automaton that simply buys games because they are new and then abandons it to run to the next new release like someone spewed bile on it?
Old 08-04-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're seriously making the case that the more gamers want local co-op over online co-op?
Gamers, yes.

Xbox 360 gamers, no.
Old 08-04-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gamers, yes.

Xbox 360 gamers, no.
Soooo, PC gamers? Wii Gamers? PS3 gamers?

I guess I don't understand your comment here unless you are trying to trump up indie cred by saying true gamers eschew online gaming. I'm not going to assume that is what you are meaning though, because thought would be laughably obnoxious.
Old 08-04-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamers, yes.

Xbox 360 gamers, no.
I think you're entirely out of touch. But then again I think you relish in being the contrarian so whatever.

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Soooo, PC gamers? Wii Gamers? PS3 gamers
PC gamers have always been about the local co-op right? I mean the TRUE PC gamers of course.

Last edited by superfro; 08-04-10 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I think there's an awful lot of hyperbole being thrown around here and it's very, very tiring.
Agreed.

Gamers, yes.

Xbox 360 gamers, no.
Right, because the million + gamers playing starcraft 2 at home are playing co-op from the same PC. Or, when they go to a lan party they are hanging out side by side high fiving each other when they quell a zergling rush. Or all those WoW gamers are sharing a hot fudge sundae while on a raid with their worldwide clans.
Old 08-04-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you're entirely out of touch.
You forget that people that play Wii Sports or Mario Kart are gamers.

If you think that, from EVERYBODY that play video games, from one end of the spectrum to the other, more people would rather play games over an internet connection with a faulty headset then in the same room together.. well, hey, you're welcome to think that. I hardily believe that people that prefer "online only" are limited to a specific core group, which is NOT a majority of the whole pool.

But then again I think you relish in being the contrarian so whatever.
Yeah, that's it.
Old 08-04-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

you are trying to trump up indie cred
Welcome to the ignore list.
Old 08-04-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Welcome to the ignore list.
Can I get added as well or is there like a wait list?

On topic if I may....has anybody checked out Castlevania:HD yet? Really wondering how they structure the demo and if it allows for online play. I can't see how it'll do all that well if it doesn't.

Last edited by superfro; 08-04-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And now for something completely similar to all this rampant, incessant bickering: Zero Punctuation Reviews Deathspank and Limbo

<embed src="http://cdn2.themis-media.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.1.5.swf" flashvars="config=http://www.themis-media.com/videos/config/1908-f9d8ab8122988a808fe61ed1aa6ccd50.js%3Fembed%3D1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" width="650" height="389" wmode="opaque"></embed>
Old 08-04-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I sure would like if this thread started leaning back towards how the old ones were. Friendly chatter about the XBLA games, community games and bitching about the shitty emulation of Game Room.
Old 08-04-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I sure would like if this thread started leaning back towards how the old ones were. Friendly chatter about the XBLA games, community games and bitching about the shitty emulation of Game Room.
Well the tone of this thread was kind of set with the first post IMO.

But yeah...Game Room is crap.
Old 08-04-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, because the million + gamers playing starcraft 2 at home are playing co-op from the same PC. Or, when they go to a lan party they are hanging out side by side high fiving each other when they quell a zergling rush. Or all those WoW gamers are sharing a hot fudge sundae while on a raid with their worldwide clans.
Again, those all fall under a specific core demographic.

I'm not sure about your comment on the LAN party, unless you're talking something as big as a QuakeCon, that's really not too far off from what people do in LAN parties. The local, human aspect adds that social interaction to it that online lacks.

WoW maybe pushes outside of that to a degree, more of an exception to the rule, I guess.
Old 08-04-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, those all fall under a specific core demographic.
As do you Pixy, as do you.
Old 08-04-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same.

I guess wishing for local co-op in a game I was interested makes me out of touch and "looking for indie cred" though.
Old 08-04-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As do you Pixy, as do you.
I don't claim my specific demographic as a vast majority though.
Old 08-04-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But yeah...Game Room is crap.
You thought so, huh? Well, you'll be pleased to know they've somehow truly indone (that's the opposite of outdone, right?) themselves with Game Pack 008. I guess they didn't want to compete with SoA

Arcade - NONE
2600 - 3D Tic-Tac-Toe, Beamrider, Centipede, Cosmic Commuter, Dodge 'Em, Dolphin, Dragster, Freeway, Maze Craze, Seaquest
INTV - Chip Shot Golf, Hockey, Super Pro Decathlon, Snafu, Thin Ice
Old 08-04-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lol....3D Tic-Tac-Toe. I fucking loved that game.
Old 08-04-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Realistically, this is only a HUGE selling point for the VERY narrow demographic of Halo players.

Realistically, that VERY narrow demographic probably has very little interest in this game to begin with.

I'm not saying local co-op would better sell the game, but online co-op isn't helping it either.
You have some good points, and while I don't play on-line w/ others, I think it is a pretty big selling point for a lot of console gamers (and a must for any multiplayer PC game). Just look at how many people pay for Gold and how many PS3 gamers point to it as a huge selling point for the PS3. The Wii has a terrible implimentation of online gaming, so I will grant you that it isn't really a selling point for the Nintendo fans.
Old 08-04-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess wishing for local co-op in a game I was interested makes me out of touch and "looking for indie cred" though.
I'm pretty sure the discussion morphed from your personal want of one feature in one game to something a bit different by that point.

I am looking forward to hearing the fix for the Castlevania game on fitting how the game works into a local co-op experience. I would've loved for it to be included as well, I just don't think it would be doable with the way the game is presented. (But lord knows I'm not a game developer or designer.)

Last edited by superfro; 08-04-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I can also count on one hand the number of times in a given year when I can get my adult employed friends together in one spot to try to get some games in. And when that does happen - we play board games. Mostly because video games we can play every weekend together online.
Pretty much the same here. With the proliferation of online games & co-op, getting together with friends has drifted back to the card/board game realm. Like miyu said, we already play games multiple times a week online so playing split screen when we all have giant tvs at home is silly. When we do get together to game, everyone brings a system and computer monitor anyway negating the need for splitscreen functionality(party games/Rock Band being the exception). With wives, jobs and kids, online just makes more sense as a feature, at least for me.
Old 08-04-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush
You have some good points, and while I don't play on-line w/ others, I think it is a pretty big selling point for a lot of console gamers (and a must for any multiplayer PC game). Just look at how many people pay for Gold and how many PS3 gamers point to it as a huge selling point for the PS3. The Wii has a terrible implimentation of online gaming, so I will grant you that it isn't really a selling point for the Nintendo fans.
See, I can swallow this:

I think it is a pretty big selling point for a lot of console gamers.
Much better than this:

Online co-op and multiplayer is a HUGE selling point for the majority of consumers.
To be honest, I really want to have nothing more to say on it, but it would be interesting to see how the number of 360s sold compared to the number of Live subscriptions.

Er, a quick and dirty Google shows something from a year ago saying it's about 50% of Live accounts and another showing that two out of three 360s are even online. So, what, roughly a third of people that have Gold? That's not counting people that have it but may not use it often (like myself). So yeah, I guess it's definitely a majority. shrug.gif.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.