Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I checked out the PSN demo of the Ghostbusters game. Yeesh, it's pretty bad. It has a long intro in comic book style with written text that takes forever to scroll through. All with "hip" characters that talk in slang. Then the game starts. It's a co-op twin-stick "shooter" from an isometric perspective, kind of like Zombie Apocalypse. But much more sucky. The weapons are underpowered and don't kill the ghosts well. You get cramped because between four characters and all the enemies, there isn't much room to maneuver around, which is kind of the whole point of the twin stick shooter. It might be fun with humans, but with the bots in the demo it was just tedious. A shame and really pissing on a cherished license. It's not like we don't know that it's possible to make a Ghostbuster game that doesn't suck. I need to go back to that one instead.

They also had Swarm up, but in typical PSN fashion, there's no demo for that one. I'm curious about it as it looks like potentially a pretty fun game.
Old 03-23-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I would just like to say that I stared down then destroyed Pinata last night in Texas Heat.
Old 03-23-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly, I don't think most of the other humans like to play earlier in the evening like I will have to These kids of mine really need to learn to put themselves to bed. Their story time is very inconvenient for Texas Heat.
Old 03-23-11, 10:38 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swarm with demo

Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
Old 03-23-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So....as I've perused this thread for the last week, I still have no clear answer (since I've seen both). You guys have now had a chance to play it for a little while; Full House Poker, yeah or nay? And if it is Nay, why not? I have the points, I just need to know if I should blow them or not.
Old 03-23-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Kedrix
So....as I've perused this thread for the last week, I still have no clear answer (since I've seen both). You guys have now had a chance to play it for a little while; Full House Poker, yeah or nay? And if it is Nay, why not? I have the points, I just need to know if I should blow them or not.
I bought it last night and think it will be worth it. I can see Texas Heat being really fun with more live people. Also, if you have friends who are into poker and will play over live, easily worth it.
Old 03-23-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It has issues. It's fun regardless. Do you have friends?
Old 03-23-11, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
It has issues. It's fun regardless. Do you have friends?
If I had friends for this game, it would be the dvdtalk forum. Lawls, I have a friends list, but we rarely seem to play the same games. They are all shooter games, I'm basically everything else.
Old 03-23-11, 01:39 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

If you're lucky enough to get a table with mostly human players and not have a game-breaking glitch during the game, it's fun.

For me that's been a rare occurrence.
Old 03-23-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think everyone is stuck on Texas Heat here. The bots are annoying. The game-breaking glitches haven't happened for me during it. The ranking is borked, but that may be fixed on the next round since it'll be "Hyperblind" and not "Beginner's Night".

I've played a lot of Ranked tournaments and had no problems. Apparently, however, people have begun quitting out instantly to secure a 2nd place finish and fucking everyone else that doesn't finish first. I haven't yet seen that, but I don't doubt it. Simple Q&A would have caught that and a patch could correct it (assuming there's support).

Beyond that, there are plenty of non-ranked playing options where you can get a group and have a good time. Where people won't quit to improve their ranking. I haven't even messed with those, but if all else fails, they're there.

It should be pretty easy to get a group of 6-10 here to play in friendly games.
Old 03-23-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I've played a lot of Ranked tournaments and had no problems. Apparently, however, people have begun quitting out instantly to secure a 2nd place finish and fucking everyone else that doesn't finish first.
Really?
Old 03-23-11, 03:00 PM

I've finished in the final two of several tourneys so far and at least two of those times saw the third avatar show up in the award animation at the end who wasn't the same one who would have finished third. One of those times it was a guy who actually did drop out after the first hand. Didn't occur to me until now that there was a reason that was happening but it doesn't surprise me at all.

Last edited by Matt; 03-23-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-23-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard that there's a glitch to get you infinite bankroll too. Supposedly, you just have to..

Spoiler:

Join a standard table, get dealt one hand, and then leave the table. Whatever the buy-in for that table gets added to your bankroll and never gets taken out.

I'm sure it'll get exploited to hell before they patch it.
Old 03-23-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Really?
Originally Posted by MWB
I've finished in the final two of several tourneys so far and at least two of those times saw the third avatar show up in the award animation at the end who wasn't the same one who would have finished third. One of those times it was a guy who actually did drop out after the first hand. Didn't occur to me until now that there was a reason that was happening but it doesn't surprise me at all.
Yes, really. It goes back to that old "unplug your ethernet cord" trick. See, the game doesn't assume you did that intentionally, but rather you simply lost XBL or ISP connection so they don't punish you and your local game keeps going, even though there are no human players.

It's so gay what people will do. The programmers need to stop trusting the players because they're all assholes. If you aren't online, your shit gets forfeited.
Old 03-23-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm not up for glitching the system, but anyone have any tips for making money? I know that's a silly question as this is poker, but it blows my mind seeing people above who have amassed tens of thousands or millions of chips, whereas I feel incredibly luck when I leave a game and come out ahead a couple hundred chips. My bankroll right now is about 3000, which I worked my way back up to after dropping to 900.
Old 03-23-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Well, I'm not up for glitching the system, but anyone have any tips for making money? I know that's a silly question as this is poker, but it blows my mind seeing people above who have amassed tens of thousands or millions of chips, whereas I feel incredibly luck when I leave a game and come out ahead a couple hundred chips. My bankroll right now is about 3000, which I worked my way back up to after dropping to 900.
My bankroll is in the 200k range because of winning Texas Heat a while back... but besides that, playing in tournaments has been good to me. I'm consistently in #1 or #2. I play in the 5k or 10k games only now - perhaps there's less assholes up there because I've yet to see a screw job like you guys are talking.
Old 03-23-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Texas Heat is free money. Costs nothing to enter and you get a moderate amount for finishing and if you get a Jackpot hand (particularly a Full House or better), it's huge bonus money.

I read the stats screen at the end of TH to read like they want to give you 15% of your table chips back, but that doesn't appear to be working along with the -1 ranking thing. In fact, that percentage may change depending on your ranking/medal. HOPEFULLY we'll learn soon.

Edit: Yeah, like L&O says. If I was getting 15% of my money back, I'd have over 750,000 from that since I've get the 5M chip achievement from the Spring 2011 season already. And that's only about 12 TH sessions.
Old 03-23-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

15% for first place. Gold Medal is 5%, Silver Medal is 2% if I recall. The high hand is nice too.
Old 03-23-11, 04:36 PM

Interesting number-crunching article from Gamasutra which uses Leaderboard numbers to estimate sales numbers on XBLA games in February.

Spoiler:
In-Depth: Xbox Live Arcade Sales Analysis, February 2011

March 22, 2011

[In this in-depth analysis, Gamasutra sister site GamerBytes examines performance of XBLA games during February, delving into how recent promotions have helped boost sales.]

In February and March, Microsoft held another Xbox Live Arcade promotion – the House Party. Similar to the Block Party of last year, the promotion will show off five new titles that are big names, or just something special. House Party did well for a few titles, namely Toy Soldiers and Perfect Dark in 2010, so how well has it done so far in 2011?

February had promotions for two games, specifically Hard Corps Uprising and Bejeweled Blitz Live, along with Stacking, TNT Racers and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. We've checked the Leaderboards for each game to see how they’ve fared in the digital download space.

Rearmament

February’s first release was Capcom and FatShark’s Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, the sequel to the the 2D side-scrolling remake/update, which was a big hit and a part of the original Summer of Arcade. The original sold 130,000 units in its first week across XBLA and PSN. So how did the sequel fare?

On XBLA alone, the first week added just 3,467 players, for a total of 5,457 players in the month. The original game has a Metacritic rating of 85, while the sequel has a rating of 62. It’s a shame, and is another direct sequel that hasn’t done well on the digital download front. It was also $15 compared to the original's $10 price.

TNT Stack

The second week included two releases – Keen Studios' TNT Racers and Double Fine’s Stacking. Unfortunately Stacking has no Leaderboards whatsoever, one of the few games to do without them at all - so we can't tell how well it did, even though reviews and internet buzz have been good for the Russian stacking-doll game.

The top-down TNT Racers was released for 800 Points, and was also released on PSN and PSP. It was published by DTP Entertainment with little fanfare, as has been the case with most releases by the German publisher. The game only added 1,275 players in the first week with a total of 2,979 players by the end of the month, which is very low.

Let’s Get The House Party Started!

The first game of the House Party promotion was Hard Corps: Uprising, a new Contra-styled game from Konami and cult Japanese developer Arc System Works. Currently the game has a Metacritic rating of 75, which is quite good.

And in total, the game received 17,884 Leaderboard-registered players in its first week for a total of 27,847 over two weeks -- though this number may be lower than actual sales, since the game is split between “Arcade” and “Rising” modes, Rising being the main mode with the Leaderboards, but second option down on the menu.

The second title was PopCap's Bejeweled Blitz Live, a downloadable variant of the incredibly popular Facebook game, with a bunch of new modes and accessories co-developed by Torpex Games (Schizoid). For the single week it was released, it did okay with 14,179 players.

This wasn't too bad, but considering the promotion and the popularity of the game, perhaps it might have done better. On the other hand, the Facebook version is “virtually” free to play, and switching jewels is much easier with a mouse.

Water Kills Aliens, Doesn't It?

There were three promotions for the Xbox Live Arcade “deals of the week” during February – the first was “Water”, so Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Aqua and Hydrophobia were on sale. Hydrophobia was the winner here, with over 10,900 new Leaderboard registrants – and that’s just people who played through the first hour, so it's likely a lot more than that. Having a $15 game go down to $10, and then having a sale at $5 helped too.

Hydro Thunder did okay as well, and Aqua added more players than they did in their opening week (1,885) so the sale has been beneficial for them considering their already low numbers.

The next promotion was “Aliens”, and it seems Geometry Wars was a winner, with over 14,000 new players in the first week. The two Serious Sam titles also was a strong perfromer with 7,581 and 5,840 respectively for that week. The final weekly deal was Blacklight: Tango Down, which added 12,000 players in the deal week.

Pinball Fanatics Keep At It

Pinball FX 2 continues to do very well for itself, adding a ton of new players to the variety of tables each week. It’s really fantastic to see how well the game sells, and it’s clearly helped by the fantastic menu system integrated into the game that shows all of the new content being available. Most downloadable content is hidden away and never really mentioned as being available, so seeing this work is great.

And of course, Trials HD also continues to be extremely popular, with an additional 42,000 players in the month, and over 20,000 players purchasing the second piece of downloadable content. Again (though perhaps a bit less so than Pinball FX) well-integrated DLC with robust competitive high score tables really helps.

Other Stats

Monitoring some other notable titles, A World Of Keflings has hit over 125,000 players, as has Pac Man CE, and as per usual, Castle Crashers, Dead Rising Cases and Limbo all continue to be strong sellers. The free downloads of Doritos Crash Course and Harm’s Way have slowed down, but they still add a ton of new players each week -- a very successful advergame initiative.

All In

March continues the House Party promotion with Beyond Good and Evil HD, Torchlight and Full House Poker, and there will be new downloadable content for Ilomilo and Lode Runner - we'll see how they stack up soon.
Old 03-23-11, 04:40 PM

Some great Ghostbusters avatar items available today for Sanctum of Slime. There's a Ghostbusters jumpsuit costume for $3 and a little Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man prop and a full-size Slimer for $4 each. The Slimer is particularly good. There's also a trucker hat with the GB logo and an Ecto-truck prop--which should have been the Ecto-1 but whatever.

I would never pay for anything like this myself but these are worth at least looking at if you like Ghostbusters at all.
Old 03-23-11, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MWB
Some great Ghostbusters avatar items available today for Sanctum of Slime. There's a Ghostbusters jumpsuit costume for $3 and a little Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man prop and a full-size Slimer for $4 each. The Slimer is particularly good. There's also a trucker hat with the GB logo and an Ecto-truck prop--which should have been the Ecto-1 but whatever.

I would never pay for anything like this myself but these are worth at least looking at if you like Ghostbusters at all.
There are worse things you could spend your points on in the Marketplace, like the actual game for example.
Old 03-23-11, 05:02 PM

I was following the leaderboards on Pac-Man all during that DOTW sale at the beginning of this month. It was around 135K players the day the sale started and finished the sale at around 185K, so it sold about 50K during that week alone. Pretty good numbers, I thought. A ton of people must have been waiting on that one to go on sale.

It's currently sitting on around 186K.
Old 03-23-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a good day at FHP for me. Whether i was playing on Live or just the AI i was just donating chips
Old 03-23-11, 10:45 PM

I just won a ranked tourney and instead of going into the animation and showing me what I won I sat at the table as it filled up with completely new live players. It showed that I was in 1st place with 9000 chips and everybody else was at zero. No dealer avatar was at the table and nothing was happening, for me or for anybody else. I waited around for a few minutes and then tried to force something to happen by sitting out. When I sat back in, it was the same except the confetti from the animation started falling. Waited for a little bit longer and bailed on the table. That triggered the winnings screen, which showed that I took third place.
Old 03-23-11, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ethernet-Plug-Pulling Cheater!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.