Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ever make a wasted DLC purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Ever make a wasted DLC purchase?

There was no WaW Zombie pack to my knowledge. There was a zombie map in each of the map packs but that's all AFAIK.
Old 07-19-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Does it count when your brother in law and his 4 year old kid screw around on your xbox, not know how to turn things on and then download Halo3 map packs, premium themes and SD movies (and start to watch, then stop helping it time out)? And I have never played Halo 3, nor intend to.
I've gotten close to that a couple of times, turned my TV on to see the Xbox on a confirm purchase page, after I left the controller in a low spot and my two year old mashed buttons.
Old 07-19-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only purchase I've made that felt like a waste was the Big Surf Island for Burnout Paradise. Not that it wasn't a great addition when it came out, but they put out the "all DLC" pack eight months later that only cost 7 dollars more than Big Surf Island did alone.
Old 07-19-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
GTA IV: Lost and the Damned. Bought it on sale but can't remember the price paid (maybe 1200). I haven't played it yet. Now, if you catch a sale, you can pick up the retail pack with both DLC's for less than the price you'd have to pay to buy both digitally via Live.
Originally Posted by Groucho
This is my pick too. Once I started it up I realized how burnt out I was on GTA and stopped playing almost immediately. And now that RDR has come out, the fate of that add-on is sealed.
I eventually bought this coupled with Gay Tony as part of the episodes disc. Honestly, Gay Tony is way better. I got burned out on Lost and Damned rather quickly. It doesn't help that it is depressing as all get out either. But Gay Tony was certainly more of what I expected from GTA DLC. As far as wasted DLC purchases, not too many. Maybe a few songs on Rockband that I only played a couple of times. (the memory was much better than the actual song) and I did mistakenly buy a Viva Pinata theme before I knew better. Little things like that along with a couple of XBLA games that I have failed to play to this very day after I bought them (typically because of a sale).
Old 07-19-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by scarface983
I bought the World at War Zombie pack and never played it... What a waste of money.
Which one? There were like five Zombie maps. Hardly a waste, they were awesome.

As for me, I have been down this road before. I've bought the GTA IV DLC, and never finished them. DLC for HAWX and then never played it. Same goes for Trivial Pursuit, and Oblivion.

I usually like to wait for a deal now.
Old 07-19-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Which one? There were like five Zombie maps. Hardly a waste, they were awesome.
4 and yeah, WELL worth the purchase. I bought WaW and the 3 $10 map packs just to play Zombies with friends. Never touched the regular MP or other maps once.

In fact, given how successful the last map pack was (sold like 7 million maps on launch day?) I'm really surprised they abandoned it. The could have easily eked out a few more map packs and raked it in big time.
Old 07-19-10, 03:54 PM

i regret buying all those Rockband songs now. Haven't picked up the game in months. many of the songs i played just one or two times then didn't touch them again. I think my best example is "Snow" by RHCP. hardest damn song in the game. I had to delete it so it didn't randomly pop up and make me fail what i was doing.
Old 07-19-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Yeah, Snow is crazy hard. I don't get that at all since it doesn't sound like a super-challenging track when you listen to it.
Old 07-19-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought Lost And The Damned day or release and still have never played it. I have others but that's probably the crowning jewel of my lameness.
Old 07-19-10, 05:36 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

When I picked up Singstar 1 & 2 for the PS3 real cheap at Toys R Us, I loaded the game up and went into the Singstar Store and downloaded a few songs (at $1.50 each, I think) right off the bat. Then I started the game and noticed that several tracks were already included in the game! Big time wasted money.
Old 07-19-10, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by superfro
I bought Lost And The Damned day or release and still have never played it. I have others but that's probably the crowning jewel of my lameness.
Somehow that seems worse than me still having Tales From Liberty City still shrink wrapped and buried in a stack of unplayed games in my hall closet, but it really isn't.
Old 07-19-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
Somehow that seems worse than me still having Tales From Liberty City still shrink wrapped and buried in a stack of unplayed games in my hall closet, but it really isn't.
Sure it is. You can dump LCS for some money and recoup some of the cost. No can do with DLC.
Old 07-20-10, 08:02 AM

i think it was the first pack for WAW, And i also bought the GTA 4 lost and damned DLC, I never even played the game lol
Old 07-20-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the "winner" is GTAIV:Lost and the Damned! LOL!
Old 07-20-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't want to think about how much money I have impulse dropped on the Virtual Console. Almost all of it on games I played and enjoyed almost 2 decades ago, but haven't touched since I downloaded them to my Wii. Oh well.
Old 07-20-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, but I don't buy DLC.
Old 07-21-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Vigilante 8... I really liked it when I was younger and found great novelty in blowing up cars to "Another One Bites the Dust." Now, the controls kind of suck.
Old 07-21-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

The first and only time I paid money for DLC was for all of the expansions for Fallout 3, and it turned out to be a giant waste.

I bought all of the expansions at the same time about a year after I'd finished the game, it wasn't as entertaining or engaging as I remembered it to be. I don't think I even finished one of the expansions all the way through.

And so ends my DLC purchases, however depending on what Alan Wake has to offer I might bite again.
Old 07-26-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to various sales I've purchased all the Fallout 3 and Assassins Creed 2 DLC but have yet to touch them. I'll probably buy all the Borderlands DLC this week too since it's on sale.
Old 07-26-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Somehow I ended up with an OBLIVION download pack....I think it was like 160 or 320 points. I believe my daughter did it accidently, and I didn't have the game.
Old 07-26-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Thanks to various sales I've purchased all the Fallout 3 and Assassins Creed 2 DLC but have yet to touch them. I'll probably buy all the Borderlands DLC this week too since it's on sale.
Oh yeah... thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-26-10, 09:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Somehow I ended up with an OBLIVION download pack....I think it was like 160 or 320 points. I believe my daughter did it accidently, and I didn't have the game.
If this was the "Horse Armor" then it's just as useless even if you own the game.
Old 07-26-10, 09:33 AM

If this was the "Horse Armor" then it's just as useless even if you own the game.
I love how "Horse Armor" has become synonymous with useless, overpriced DLC.
Old 07-26-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, wasn't the Horse Armor....I know that for sure.

I also bought the two GTA IV packs...and have yet to play them. I plan on eventually, I still havne't finished the original game yet.
Old 07-26-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like MS made out pretty well with the GTA exclusivity by the looks of this thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.