Reload this Page >

THQ - Red Faction: Armageddon 03/2011

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

THQ - Red Faction: Armageddon 03/2011

Old 06-02-11, 08:06 AM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: THQ - Red Faction: Armageddon 03/2011

IGN Review (7/10)
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ru3C0tKiLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ru3C0tKiLA

Machinima Review (8/10)
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s1RvZF64E0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RvZF64E0U
Old 06-10-11, 11:16 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My review is up on Video Game Talk.

I really enjoyed it. Though it's a bit too similar to Dead Space, it's a very fun game with a lot of variety in its mission structure and different modes. There's more than one different mech to use, which is cool. Normally, I don't like mechs, so it's a bit of a surprise I enjoyed them in this game so much.

It's probably due to the rampant destruction though, and how well they controlled.
Old 06-13-11, 12:37 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad I picked this up from Kmart for 39 bucks....after the first part where you are fighting humans, which I found lacking....the game really is a blast...
Old 06-23-11, 12:31 AM
gamer for life

I finished this the other day, and it was the first game in a long time that I felt the desire to start a second run right away on insane and actually finish, not getting bored...

Fantastic game...I understand some of the complaints, but I really don't see how some review scores on metacritic are in the 40's....1Up's 91 score is much closer to how I felt about the game...

Last edited by foxdvd; 06-23-11 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,279 Likes on 2,187 Posts

The first game dropped in price like a rock, and that one was much better recieved than this one. I'm sure it'll be $20 by the end of Summer, or the holiday season at the latest. I'll be sure to pick it up then.
Old 06-23-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Third game I got it for free for buying Darksiders. Maybe I'll get this one free when Darksiders II comes out.

Originally Posted by foxdvd View Post
I finished this the other day, and it was the first game in a long time that I felt the desire to start a second run right away on insane and actually finish, not getting bored...

Fantastic game...I understand some of the complaints, but I really don't see how some review scores on metacritic are in the 40's....1Up's 91 score is much closer to how I felt about the game...
So you feel higher reviews are closer to you feel about a game you like than lower scores? I never would have guessed that.
Old 06-23-11, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Third game

Easy to forget. And I played the actual first game at launch.
Old 06-23-11, 10:11 AM
gamer for life

Third game I got it for free for buying Darksiders. Maybe I'll get this one free when Darksiders II comes out.

So you feel higher reviews are closer to you feel about a game you like than lower scores? I never would have guessed that.
Yes
Old 06-23-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was pleasantly surprised by the first game's singleplayer campaign (I also got it free with Darksiders), so I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt when I can also get it in a price range somewhere around free.
Old 06-23-11, 01:17 PM
gamer for life

more and more red boxes have game rentals now.....I was at a Kum and Go yesterday and saw this game is available...
Old 06-23-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was at a Kum and Go yesterday and saw this game is available...
God dammit, fox, don't say shit like that. We get enough crap for being from Oklahoma already.
Old 06-23-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

I just finished it. Fun game, and a bit frustrating at times, but it was worthy of a 7.5 or 8.0 rating.

I missed the open world from the last game, though.
Old 06-23-11, 03:07 PM
gamer for life

God dammit, fox, don't say shit like that. We get enough crap for being from Oklahoma already.
LOL...I forget how people view the name Kum and Go...when they first started popping up (replacing the Get N Go stores) the Frito Lay order system put the name of the accounts as Cum and Go....a lot of chip guys were going around showing everyone their tickets...
Old 06-25-11, 01:08 AM

Glad you liked it, fox. Well, I just rented it from Redbox today and played for the past 2-3 hours. I'm past the 21% completion mark. I
Spoiler:

Jeez. It was SO repetitive. The "story" was very minimal and uninteresting. I thought it looked grimy and ugly. Superfro had talked on his podcast about how it looks so amazing, but I think it's ugly as sin. Tearing down buildings in Guerrilla was so much fun. Pulling down stairways in tunnels, not so much. Mason moves slowly and everything moves slow. I literally kept yawning while playing. They take the explosive barrel and absurd amount of scattered about ammo game cliches to an extreme, which is twice as funny since you can pretty much play the entire game with a sledgehammer and the magnet gun, neither of which require ammo. I have absolutely no desire to ever revisit this game, which drops it a notch below Homefront in my book, which I also rented and disliked, because I would at least like to re-rent and finish that game sometime.

As someone who loved Guerrilla, this one is a major disappointment for me. Can't fully get my head around how much I actually disliked it. But it was a pretty large amount. Forget buying this when it hits $20, I want my $2 back.

Sorry to be such a downer on this one, but I'm upset that it fell so far below my expectations even after reading the reviews. I just think the took so much of what was fun in the original and just stomped it into the ground.

Last edited by Decker; 06-25-11 at 01:14 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 01:41 AM
gamer for life

Sorry you did not like it...thank god for redbox.

I thought the game looked amazing....like a daylight version of Dead Space...I would go so far as to say outside of Crysis and Dead Space 2 its the best looking game I have played all year...
Old 06-25-11, 11:01 AM

thank god for redbox.
True dat. I'd be super-pissed if I had spent $40 on this one.

I thought the game looked amazing....like a daylight version of Dead Space...I would go so far as to say outside of Crysis and Dead Space 2 its the best looking game I have played all year...
Weird. Well, I will grant that the back of the main character is nicely detailed, but making him bald wasn't a good idea since I think it makes him a lot less interesting to look at. Also the lack (as far as I could tell) of any movable camera made it hard to scrutinize the character's face. I thought the character animations were stiff and like I said before, he moves unnaturally slowly and robotic.
I think a lot of the problems I have with the game come directly from the decision to put it underground. Levels become, by necessity, very linear. The destruction is far less satisfying. The colors are more muted. The environments are less interesting.
The aliens are kind of interesting at first, but they get really repetitive and things don't even break apart in a realistic or satisfying way -- they kind of fragment and splinter apart like they're all made of crystal. The rubble left behind often disappears as well, which is disappointing for a game of this generation.

It's not a terrible or especially dated-looking game, but it certainly didn't impress me with its visuals.

It came out the same day as another destruction-bent 3rd person shooter - Infamous 2 and I think that game is way more fun, better looking, better storied, better voice-acted and just so much more enjoyable. It's not even close.
Old 06-25-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

I spent $40 on it and sent it back to Amazon
Old 07-08-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I literally laughed out loud at the weapon you get when you finish the game. Meet Mr. Toots

He craps out rainbows at the enemy and disintegrates anything in it's path.
Old 07-08-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well now I have to play it.
Old 07-09-11, 02:39 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
Ok, I literally laughed out loud at the weapon you get when you finish the game. Meet Mr. Toots

He craps out rainbows at the enemy and disintegrates anything in it's path.
it's actually not that great of a weapon...its damage is only ok and you have to stop while using it. It also takes a bit to charge up....but it is funny and my girls got the biggest kick out of it when I was shooting it...
Old 07-28-11, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They killed it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ting_Sales.php

After what was "clearly a disappointing performance" for Red Faction: Armageddon both financially and critically, THQ CEO Brian Farrell says that the company will not be moving forward with the franchise.

"Given that that title now in two successive versions has [only] found a niche, we do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way," Farrell told THQ's investors in a Gamasutra-attended conference call.

According to Farrell, the game "did not resonate with a sufficiently broad console gaming audience," despite its "passionate niche following."

"In today's hit-driven, core gaming business, even highly-polished titles with a reasonable following like Red Faction face a bar that continues to move higher and higher," he said.

"Moving forward, our core game titles must meet a very high quality standard with strong creative and product differentiation, appeal to a broad audience, and be marketed aggressively."

Red Faction: Armageddon currently averages in the 71-75 range on Metacritic across its three SKUs.

Developer Volition is currently at work on two major projects: this year's Saints Row: The Third, and a collaboration with film director Guillermo del Toro called Insane.

Farrell also said that that as a result of the game's sales, THQ would revise its internal review process in order to reach a higher quality bar.
Old 07-28-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have stuck with the formula that worked from Guerrilla.
Old 07-28-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
They should have stuck with the formula that worked from Guerrilla.
Agreed. I had little interest once I heard it was not open world. Sucks for the franchise fans though. What about the TV series?
Old 08-03-11, 12:50 AM
gamer for life

single player dlc out...560 points...my vote is skip it. I did have some fun with it, but it took me maybe 50 minutes to beat it...and half of that was boring vehicle missions....

It was the easiest 250 achievements points in a long time though....

should have been priced 400 points tops...
Old 12-27-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's $7.49 on Steam right now. Was thinking of biting on it but this thread has left me unsure.

For what it's woth, I've never played a Red Faction game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.