Reload this Page >

MAG - is anyone playing this?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-02-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I searched under "MAG" but found no results...

Anyways, is anybody actually playing this? It looks cool enough but I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger on an online only game that doesn't have the full backing of a large community.

If you have it, what do you think?
Old 02-02-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MAG - is anyone playing this?

I think the forum still has a "four character minimum" requirement for searching.

Which is why you may of missed this: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...-ps3-beta.html
Old 02-02-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it, but have only been able to play a little bit because of work.

What I've played, I've thoroughly enjoyed. There are a ton of people online playing. My experience with this has been a lot better than my experience with the beta. My only grief is my same grief with Warhawk, that it seems some people have advanced to a high level, but are using the low-level servers to farm experience. But, it's pushing me to become a better player, create better tactics, and they're gonna end up biting it when they have to play on the higher-level servers since their only skill is being a higher-rank with better sniping stats.
Old 02-02-10, 12:39 PM

PS I'm all for a new thread separate from the beta thread.

Might want to add Massive Action Game to the thread title.
Old 02-02-10, 01:48 PM

I have it and I like it. It reminds me more of the original Battlefield series on PC, and even Delta Force: Land Warrior.

Not as run and gun as Modern Warfare 2, but when u get with a squad who has mics, and works as a squad, the experience is a blast!

It Probably won't appeal to everyone, but if your looking for something a little bit different its worth a look.

As with a game like this, the longevity will be determined by the people who play it. Theres some current imbalances with the factions. Out of the three factions, it seems most people are going to the SVER faction. There are bonuses in place to get people to join one of the other two, but time will tell.

I dig the massive battles, it really makes me feel like I am part of a huge conflict...
Old 02-02-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As someone who bought Unreal Tournament 3, I don't buy online only games anymore. Fool me once...
Old 02-02-10, 03:07 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm really on the fence with this. Unless they release some new maps for MW2 soon I may give MAG a whirl.

I like the idea of big battles (played UT2004 until I couldn't find anymore decent games). Ground War on MW2 almost always ends up being TDM (my least favorite gametype) so I rarely play it (I prefer objective based games).

What makes it iffy for me (and it's been pointed out in most all the reviews) is the likely lack of communication. While it's more of an inherit problem with the PS3 in general due to lack of a pack in headset, I think it might really cripple the gameplay in MAG's case. But, I have a $20 gift card to Best Buy that would put it in the "take a chance" price range.
Old 02-02-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard
PS I'm all for a new thread separate from the beta thread.

Might want to add Massive Action Game to the thread title.
but, but there is an "official" thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...r-m-g-ps3.html
Old 02-02-10, 11:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

a co-worker of mine is raving about this game. I'll probably try to rent it locally. I appreciate that the developers didn't try to add a monthly fee.
He says there's currently only four maps. I assume that extra maps will cost money.
Old 02-02-10, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by musick
but, but there is an "official" thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...r-m-g-ps3.html
And what do you know! I even posted in that thread!
Old 02-03-10, 11:32 AM

I picked this up on release day and I'm loving it so far. It's hit or miss whether you will end up with a group the communicates well or not, but when you are in a group that talks and has a good leader that gives orders well and lets you know what objectives to focus on, it is really outstanding.

Anyone looking to level up quickly should focus on the Medic skills first, you can get a ton of XP just reviving people. Remember that after you unlock the Medic Kit you have to go equip it, you can't revivie anyone with the default First Aid Kit.
Old 02-03-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I picked this up on release day and I'm loving it so far. It's hit or miss whether you will end up with a group the communicates well or not, but when you are in a group that talks and has a good leader that gives orders well and lets you know what objectives to focus on, it is really outstanding.
How long does an average match last? MW2 generally runs between 10 and 15 minutes... same for MAG?
Old 02-03-10, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V
How long does an average match last? MW2 generally runs between 10 and 15 minutes... same for MAG?
Yes.

When you start MAG, there is a tiered structure. You don't start out playing with 256 people. First round you play against 64. And then once you reach level 8, you play against 128. I'm not sure what level you reach to play the full-blown game.

But so far, all the 64 player matches (basically team deathmatch and capture the base) are all 10-15 minutes if not sometimes more.
Old 02-04-10, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
You can decide what game type to join when you are looking for a game. The different game types and maps will have different lengths. Some of the smaller and simpler ones, (Capture sites A and B to unlock C, Capture C) can be under 10 minutes if you have an efficient team. Some of the larger Domination maps can be 30 minutes.
Old 02-05-10, 07:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So, MAG is actually pretty fun! I rented it yesterday, but I think I'll purchase it when the price is to my liking.
Old 02-06-10, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
I think the forum still has a "four character minimum" requirement for searching.

Which is why you may of missed this: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...-ps3-beta.html
I just saw the trailer on TV and figured I'd never be able to find the thread by searching
Old 02-07-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
As someone who bought Unreal Tournament 3, I don't buy online only games anymore. Fool me once...
Same here. Once bitten, twice shy.
Old 02-10-10, 12:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Can you explain? I've never played any of the Unreal games.

I'm loving MAG right now. I have to return it today since I only rented it, but I'll probably buy a copy when I find it for cheap.
Old 02-10-10, 12:30 PM

I think their concern is that since MAG is online only, if no one else is online, you can't play your game. After a couple of years, if they turn off the servers, there is no game anymore.

However, my argument would be that, most games are over $50 and under 10 hours. Even if they turn off the servers in two years and you've mananged to wrange 50 hours of fun out of the game, then who cares! Except that you won't be able to play a game you enjoy anymore, but you've certainly been able to enjoy it more than many other games hours-wise.

Warhawk is online only. And even though the numbers for that have dwindled since the beginning, I've gotten a lot more hours out of that game than many other games of mine.
Old 02-10-10, 02:19 PM

So far, the main thing holding me back is not knowing how well this game is selling. Weak sales=small group of players=short lifespan. Another is no pack-in headset. Strange choice seeing as this is TEAM oriented and ONLINE ONLY...kind of tough to coordinate teamwork if you can't talk to each other.

I think a big problem for UT3 was it just wasn't very good. Bring back UT2004!!!
Old 02-18-10, 04:08 PM

Just picked it up, played just one round, but I really like it. I love the controls. Graphics are better then what I was expecting. Games alot of fun. I hope they support the game with new levels etc
Old 02-22-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i played for a couple of hours over the weekend - other than getting used to the r1 to fire/r2 to cycle ps3 controls (would be nice to have an option to switch these), i had fun. however, beware joining random games populated by clan members. you may get booted (there is a kick system - 5 votes and you are gone) in favor of one of their clan members. i plan to keep playing for a while and grind to level 15 - 20 to see if i want to continue this long term.
Old 02-25-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so i am now almost up to level 12 and have ventured out into the sabotage maps. this game is quite addictive. when you play on a squad or platoon with an organized leader, you can easily overrun less organized groups. i like the perk/upgrade system as well - it really is like crack. i recommend upgrading to the medical kit as quickly as you can so that you can revive downed teammates. the XP for reviving someone on your side is 10 XP compared to 5 XP for killing a member of the opposition.

if anyone here is in valor, hit me up for an invite. my psn name is the same as my forum name - kms_md.
Old 02-25-10, 03:23 PM

So what percentage of players, in your experience so far, wear and actualy properly use their headsets?
Old 02-25-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So far, the main thing holding me back is not knowing how well this game is selling. Weak sales=small group of players=short lifespan.
I don't think Warhawk sold gangbusters, and you can ALWAYS find a game, even now. This fanbase will obviously be smaller than CoD or Halo, but they'll be committed.

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Warhawk is online only. And even though the numbers for that have dwindled since the beginning, I've gotten a lot more hours out of that game than many other games of mine.
The only "dwindling number" is YOU mister...and I'm not feeling that past-tense nonsense!!!

Missing you on Tuesdays brother.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.