Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
http://www.imdb.com/search/title - IMDB advanced title search
horror films by year starting 1895 - wiki breakdown by decade then year

Building of the 31 Film Subset: The Final Phase has begun -&- Crossover Group Voting

2 volunteers are still needed for the subset list.

Print Wikipost

The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I bought an extra 360 HD player back when they had a few left for $20

These work on windows machines for backup purposes so it's still dual use...
Very true. In terms of a HD-DVD player, I really liked the size of the 360 drive compared to the gargantuan HD-A2.

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow. If there's a more fitting end for that particular product, I can't think of it.
It was pretty hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing for a good couple of minutes.
Old 01-19-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Since the cards went up from $50 to $60, it looks like $40 will be the best for now. Back when they were still $50, Amazon had them for $30 in June. I keep an eye on Newegg, Dell and Buy.com to see if they put them on sale too.
Thanks
Old 01-22-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need to start making the most out of my LIVE account again. Been on there for 8 years and I swear I hardly get to play online with friends any more. Hoping to fix that this year. I used to hop on with Black Ops but I'm just not feeling the most recent COD at all.

With that being said I was wondering who all is getting Bulletstorm. The multiplayer stuff is looking pretty interesting and I wanted to make sure I have some people to play online with.
Old 01-24-11, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Since the cards went up from $50 to $60, it looks like $40 will be the best for now. Back when they were still $50, Amazon had them for $30 in June. I keep an eye on Newegg, Dell and Buy.com to see if they put them on sale too.

Where can you get a 1-year GOLD Membership for $40?
Old 01-24-11, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

**QUESTIONS about X-Box Slim?**

1. Is there NO WAY I can use my old XBox ELITE HD in the new Slim model?

2. I go one of those "coupon pop up" apps for my PC. One of them listed a store called "Superkids Online having the Xbox Slim 250 GB for only $329.95. GREAT PRICE! But is it a legit store? ANY help would be great guys and girls.

2. This statement is very puzzling... I copied it from CNet

"The rear of the new Xbox 360 also looks a bit different compared with the original. Now on board is a devoted digital optical audio-out port that can be used in conjunction with an HDMI, component, or composite video connection.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/xbox-360-slim#ixzz1BwJlF6NO"

Doesn't an HDMI cable transit Digital 5.1 Sound -AND- 1080p video all through that one cable? What's the purpose of suggesting a setup using HDMI -AND- a Digital Optical Cable?

Granted (and ironically enough) My Onkyo TX-SR606 just started going haywire.. It will only transmit video through the HDMI now... (It will NOT transmit audio through the HDMI cables anymore. JUST Video... It's very frustrating to say the least) so maybe this will work in my really weird and RARE situation. But the point still stays...

Why would someone use HDMI -AND- a digital optical cable?

Thanks guys! And it's good to see you all again. I've been in an out of the hospital for what seems like ages, and hitting up DVD Talk was the first thing i wanted to do when I got home
Old 01-24-11, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sominex
Maybe they don't have a receiver that outputs HDMI? It's the setup I'm currently on.
Old 01-24-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amazon had them on sale for $40 a few days back.

you can. it just won't look pretty. i think someone here did something similar, it essentially just sits outside your xbox. or you can find a slim hd casing online and put your hd in that.

2. I go one of those "coupon pop up" apps for my PC. One of them listed a store called "Superkids Online having the Xbox Slim 250 GB for only $329.95. GREAT PRICE! But is it a legit store? ANY help would be great guys and girls.
seems like a terrible price. amazon has the 250gb slim for $299. and the 250gb slim plus kinect for 399. i got a 250gb slim plus kinect from amazon warehouse deals for $230 brand new but with a beaten up box (meaning they couldn't sell it as "new" since it looked so terrible.) they don't have deals on that version much anymore. last deal i saw through warehouse deals for the 250gb slim plus kinect was $315. but that was the first one in a month or so.

2. This statement is very puzzling... I copied it from CNet

"The rear of the new Xbox 360 also looks a bit different compared with the original. Now on board is a devoted digital optical audio-out port that can be used in conjunction with an HDMI, component, or composite video connection.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/xbox-360-slim#ixzz1BwJlF6NO"

Doesn't an HDMI cable transit Digital 5.1 Sound -AND- 1080p video all through that one cable? What's the purpose of suggesting a setup using HDMI -AND- a Digital Optical Cable?

Granted (and ironically enough) My Onkyo TX-SR606 just started going haywire.. It will only transmit video through the HDMI now... (It will NOT transmit audio through the HDMI cables anymore. JUST Video... It's very frustrating to say the least) so maybe this will work in my really weird and RARE situation. But the point still stays...

some people like to have their hdmi run to their tv but also have an optical cable run to their receiver. so sometimes they game with just the tv speakers, other times with everything full blown. or you might have a receiver that doesn't have hdmi passthrough. or you have to use an hdmi video switch.

Thanks guys! And it's good to see you all again. I've been in an out of the hospital for what seems like ages, and hitting up DVD Talk was the first thing i wanted to do when I got home
sorry to hear you were in the hospital but hope everything is okay now or on the mend.
Old 01-24-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I really need to start making the most out of my LIVE account again. Been on there for 8 years and I swear I hardly get to play online with friends any more. Hoping to fix that this year. I used to hop on with Black Ops but I'm just not feeling the most recent COD at all.

With that being said I was wondering who all is getting Bulletstorm. The multiplayer stuff is looking pretty interesting and I wanted to make sure I have some people to play online with.
I am getting Bulletstorm.
Old 01-24-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one from Amazon last week.
Old 01-24-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Get one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hdd-har...im-black-48653
Old 01-24-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Amazon had them on sale for $40 a few days back.

you can. it just won't look pretty. i think someone here did something similar, it essentially just sits outside your xbox. or you can find a slim hd casing online and put your hd in that.

seems like a terrible price. amazon has the 250gb slim for $299. and the 250gb slim plus kinect for 399. i got a 250gb slim plus kinect from amazon warehouse deals for $230 brand new but with a beaten up box (meaning they couldn't sell it as "new" since it looked so terrible.) they don't have deals on that version much anymore. last deal i saw through warehouse deals for the 250gb slim plus kinect was $315. but that was the first one in a month or so.

some people like to have their hdmi run to their tv but also have an optical cable run to their receiver. so sometimes they game with just the tv speakers, other times with everything full blown. or you might have a receiver that doesn't have hdmi passthrough. or you have to use an hdmi video switch.

sorry to hear you were in the hospital but hope everything is okay now or on the mend.

1) Thank you for such an informative post to all my questions. It's so nice to see someone go out of their way in a random act of kindness (stepping off soap box). Never the less... THANK YOU!

2) THANK YOU for your well wishes... I am not sure if you one of my "fans" of the posts "I am proposing to my girlfriend and need help picking a ring" -OR- My other post.... "I need help picking a hotel for my g/f and I in NYC to stay after I propose... and last but not least.... the best thread "So... I got hit and run over by a car while walking into the jewelry store to pick up the custom designed ring I bought for my Girlfriend"

Well.... For whatever BAD HEX or evil curse someone put on me.... I was run over by a car again last month. God... what a life I lead. It's.

Anyway.... my X-Box has the RED RING OF DEATH.... AGAIN! That's right... AGAIN! And when I s/w the very nice Indian woman on the phone she informed me they'd be happy to fix it for me for $119!

I can buy a NEW X-Box Slim for only $199, right? Plus I have a $10 Best Buy gift card.

*sigh*

OK.. well at any rate, again I want to thank you TLwizard for providing all those answers AND for your well wishes Hopefully it's a sign of things starting to turn around for me.

ON ANOTHER NOTE.... If you guys would like me to wrap up and finish the story/post about what happened with my girlfriend/fiance', the wedding, me getting hit by a car again, etc,etc....

I don't know if anyone even remembers that post. I'd like to think people remember, but we'll see. If you all want me to continue my 3rd and last post for the Proposal/Ring/Hotel/Getting Run Over by Car SAGA... I'd be happy to finish it all up with a 3rd post in the "OTHER SECTION". Where it allllll began is where it could all end.

Any takers?

TLwizard .... You made my night!! Thank You! Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

Good Night All, and keep those posts coming! I've got some NEW X-Box 360 Games that need to be played!
Old 01-24-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517

So HOW does it work? Is it an ADAPTER I can use that will allow me to physically use the HDD that came with my Black X-Box 360 Elite back in 2007-2008 (I think that was the date). I basically don't want 2 things:

1) To KEEP all my information, game saves, downloads, photos, etc, etc from the 360 Elite Hard Drive

2) I want to KEEP & USE the HD with the X-Box 360 Slim somehow. I don't want to simply "copy" the info the a newly designed "360 Slim Hard Drive" and then have no use for the old 'Elite HD'

This link you showed me something that only cost $5.95. Will that really let me physically attach and use the X-Box 360 Elite HD with the X-Box Slim?

Thanks for your help. I am sorry if the answered "were right in front of me" on that page, but I still have pretty bad head damage from the accident a few months ago, so it hard for me to "process" and then "retain" the information.

Thanks for your help buddy!!!
Old 01-24-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From a comment on that link comes this video (haven't watched):

Old 01-24-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
From a comment on that link comes this video (haven't watched):

Thanks Pinanta242!

QUESTION = Will this particular operation VOID my warranty?

.... because Im really worried about f*cking up the HD, or even worse f*cking up the X-Box Slim itself....

Hmmmmm.....
Old 01-24-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK....

TWO QUESTIONS...

1) What is the BEST price for an X-Box Slim? My X-Box Elite has the 'Red Ring of Death'... for the SECOND time now!

Microsoft wants $119 to fix it and I refuse to pay it!

I've seen the X-Box Slim for around $199

What is the best place to buy it cheap? I have a $10 "Gift Reward Certificate for Best Buy

2) I can't remember what I was going to ask.... G Dammit.... these meds and head injuries frustrate me so much. When I remember what it was I'll update this post. THANKS Guys and Gals!
Old 01-25-11, 04:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) What is the BEST price for an X-Box Slim? My X-Box Elite has the 'Red Ring of Death'... for the SECOND time now!

Microsoft wants $119 to fix it and I refuse to pay it!

I've seen the X-Box Slim for around $199

What is the best place to buy it cheap? I have a $10 "Gift Reward Certificate for Best Buy

The $199 model is the one without a hard drive. It has a 4 GB flash drive. Without a hard drive, you won't be able to play online or play backwards compatible original Xbox games.

As for the best place to buy it cheap, I would suggest the Amazon Warehouse. You can get a "like new" 4 GB model for about $140 there.
Old 01-25-11, 07:03 AM
Mok

2 big Demos up for Gold Memebers

Bulletstorm 1.08 GB

Crysis 2 Multiplayer 1.80 GB
Old 01-25-11, 07:10 AM
Mok

Also this week is the 2K/Rockstar deals (found on CAG)

Red Dead Redemption

* Undead Nightmare Collection: 1600 --> 1000
* Undead Nightmare: 800 --> 400
* Liars and Cheats Pack: 800 --> 400
* Lasso Avatar Prop: 480 --> 240

Bioshock 2

* Minvera's Den: 800 --> 400
* Protector Trials: 400 --> 200
* Rapture Metro Pack: 800 --> 400
* Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack: 400 --> 200
* Big Sister Avatar Helmet: 50% off

GTA IV

* Ballad of Gay Tony: 1600 --> 800
* The Lost and Damned: 800 --> 400

Midnight Club: Los Angeles

* South Central Ultimate: 800 --> 400

Borderlands

* Claptrap's New Robot Revolution: 800 --> 400
* Zombie Island of Dr. Ned: 800 --> 400
* Secret Armory: 800 --> 400
* The Underdome: 800 --> 400
* Moxxi Avatar Hat: 50% off

Mafia II

* Jimmy's Vendetta: 800 --> 400
* Joe's Adventures: 800 --> 400
* Fedora Avatar Outfit: 50% off

Xbox Live Arcade

* Axel & Pixel: 800 --> 400
* Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom: 800 --> 400
* LA Lakers Avatar Jersey: 50% off

Xbox Originals

* Max Payne: 1200 --> 600
* Max Payne 2: 1200 --> 600
* GTA San Andreas: 1200 --> 600
Old 01-25-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Does anybody have multiple Xboxes they use frequently? How do you go back and forth between profiles? Do you have to migrate your profile each time you want to sign into that box?
Old 01-25-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Does anybody have multiple Xboxes they use frequently? How do you go back and forth between profiles? Do you have to migrate your profile each time you want to sign into that box?
I store my profile on a thumb drive. It sucks to bring it back and forth but it's much quicker than migrating it back and forth.
Old 01-25-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I store my profile on a thumb drive. It sucks to bring it back and forth but it's much quicker than migrating it back and forth.
Really? I guess it never occured to me how one transfers between two consoles. I was seriously considering getting a second 360 S for the "man cave" in my new house and moving the current slightly noisy model along with the noisy Kinect into the spacious family room. It would be a little annoying to have to migrate my profile back and forth, but if that's the only solution, I guess that's something to consider (especially if there isn't enough floor space to use the Kinect in the new man cave).

BTW : Totally forgot that the XBLA game Axis and Pixel existed. I'll have to check the demo to see if it's at all good.
As far as Bioshock 2 goes, is the consensus to get Minerva's Den and skip the rest?
Old 01-25-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, USB thumb drives are the new hotness. Before that we used the official MS memory cards.
Old 01-25-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
As far as Bioshock 2 goes, is the consensus to get Minerva's Den and skip the rest?
I wouldn't say skip the rest completely, but Minerva's Den is a must. The Protector Trials aren't terrible (and they give an extra tonic in MD), just sort of boring and repetitive. $2.50 is about the right price for them, but you wont' miss anything by passing.

Skip the other two for sure.
Old 01-25-11, 09:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
This game has piqued my interest. I'll have to try this demo out.Wait...the first game was PC only wasn't it?
Old 01-25-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept. If my wife and kids were mainly using the older model in the family room, I would leave their profiles on that model and migrate my profile full time onto the new one in the man cave. Then they wouldn't need to mess with the USB to play games in the family room, right? But they'd still need my profile to play XBLA games. And since my son plays Lego Star Wars under my profile, he wouldn't be able to use his game save on the family room 360 without migrating my profile over (there's no way my wife would be able to figure this out). There's no way to copy the save info from one profile to the other, right? Man, this is a hassle.

You can't just have the same profile on two 360's, or two memory sticks at the same time and whatever one is online at that moment is the active profile, huh? I just assumed that was the way it worked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.