Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Darksiders (PS3/360)...Bring on the Apocalypse!!

Old thread resurrection time!!

I decided I should probably start playing some of the games that have been collecting dust in my living room for the past year. Now I kinda wish I played this one years ago when it was still relevant. I did a marathon and platinum-ed it in about 4 days... LOVED every second of it. I'm actually kinda bummed that it's over now, cuz I really want to keep playing it (unfortunately there's no NG+).

In any case, it's a fantastic game if there are any people like me that basically just dismissed it years ago. To quote Chess from earlier in this thread, "it's like a mix-tape of 10 different awesome games". I couldn't agree more with that statement. Just a really enjoyable game from start to finish.

Now I need to go find myself a copy of Darksiders II (because I refuse to believe that it's not just as good).
Old 01-10-13, 10:14 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 19K

Now I need to go find myself a copy of Darksiders II (because I refuse to believe that it's not just as good).

Old 01-10-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 633 Likes on 487 Posts

I got both games on Steam. For some reason, Darksiders II engaged me more. I may actually beat that one before I beat the first game.
Old 01-10-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I preferred the first one quite a bit more than the second, but was never able to put my finger on why. They're both fun, but I found myself getting bored with sections of the sequel. On the bright side, it didn't have the awful screen tearing that plagued the first couple months of the original.
Old 01-10-13, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I preferred the first one quite a bit more than the second, but was never able to put my finger on why.
Ditto. I think partly it's because the story in this one was a mess.

19K, Darksiders 2 keeps the gameplay of the first, more or less, but mixes in Diablo-style loot drops and Prince of Persia style platforming.
Old 01-10-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to most video games. I like a lot of games that have been generally crapped on in this forum (Rage, Battlefield 3, etc), so if Darksiders II is even remotely similar to the first one then I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Old 01-20-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been playing this the last couple of days since it was part of PS Plus and I'm liking it quite a bit. Does anyone know what moves/ actions cause the health bar to fill back up? It seems to happen sometimes in the heat of battle and I can't figure out how to repeat it. I know it's not from opening the health chest.
Old 01-20-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished it recently so if I remember correctly it depends on how you kill certain enemies...

For example: you can kill the weak walking dead type enemies by just grabbing them. That gives you a little bit of health as opposed to killing them with the sword which just gives you souls. The flying duskbat creatures will also give health if you press "circle" when prompted as opposed to just jumping around and slashing.
Old 01-21-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 19K
I just finished it recently so if I remember correctly it depends on how you kill certain enemies...

For example: you can kill the weak walking dead type enemies by just grabbing them. That gives you a little bit of health as opposed to killing them with the sword which just gives you souls. The flying duskbat creatures will also give health if you press "circle" when prompted as opposed to just jumping around and slashing.
I think you're right - it seems to give health whenever using the circle as a "finishing move." When doing that on tougher enemies (like mini-bosses), I think it gives significantly more health. I really like the game - it's one of those entertaining, mindless games that I don't come across as often as I'd like.
Old 01-21-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the first one quite a bit more than the second. I really wish they hadn't added loot to the second game. The abundance of weapons and loot made most of the ones that you do find seem pointless. In most zelda games when you find a chest, it feels like an actual discovery, in Darksiders 2 it was generally just a throw away weapon, maybe something with a bonus you could add to your possessed weapons. And the management of loot became tedious.
Old 07-07-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts

ok just finished reading the whole thread to prepare me for my DARKSIDERS 1 & 2 experience. Fuck reading about the difficulty has me a bit worried... anyway will start tomorrow.
Old 07-08-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

I haven't played 2 yet, but I don't remember the difficulty of 1 being to dissuasive. And trust me, I'm not the type of player who likes to try things over and over.
Old 07-08-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm really horrible at videogames but this was one i wanted and did finish. I did use some youtube walkthroughs though
Old 07-08-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loving this game so far, it's cool. I'm at the TWILIGHT CATHEDRAL.
Old 07-09-14, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

I also don't remember the first one being overly difficult, although I always play on a "normal" difficulty setting. There were a few challenging areas, and one or two bosses I looked up a video for help, but overall it felt about right to me.
Old 07-19-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great Game, took me around 25 Hours to complete (fuck that was long). Just need to play it on Apocalyptic [and get that damn Killing 160 enemies while riding the Angelic Beast] Some puzzles had me but not in a frustrating way. War is too awesome, love him!... On to DEATH
Old 07-31-21, 09:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts

For no reason in particular, after playing like 3-4 games and just not catching on. I mean I will get back to them bc I was liking, just not in mood or ADHD kicking in and didn’t know what the hell I wanted to play, but took a little break from RE: Village (about to finish) and just couldn’t decide what to play. I saw Darksiders III was on game pass and I decided to start from beginning with Darksiders I since I had, played a bit, but didn’t remember anything and know I didn’t play much for unknown reasons. But, decided to give it a go and having a lot of fun. Exploration, some. Things to find, new enhancements, DOOM (2016) like fatalities, basically a button masher, but really plays fluidly, been on a platforming buyingFor no reason in particular, after playing like 3-4 games and just not catching on. I mean I will get back to them bc I was liking, just not in mood or ADHD kicking in and didn’t know what the hell I wanted to play, but took a little break from RE: Village (about to finish) and just couldn’t decide what to play. I saw Darksiders III was on game pass and I decided to start from beginning with Darksiders I since I had, played a bit, but didn’t remember anything and know I didn’t play much for unknown reasons. But, decided to give it a go and having a lot of fun. Exploration, some. Things to find, new enhancements, DOOM (2016) like fatalities, basically a button masher, but really plays fluidly, been on a platforming buying binge, but popped this on and really a blast thus far (really early, half hour or so).

Love collecting souls, doing these missions, the hack and slash with some flare. The fighting, platforming. I don’t know beginning of the story (and not sure matters too much) for some reason default had dialogue on mute and no subtitles during cutscenes. I thought it was game, but couldn’t imagine it would default to that. Thought it was the game. Uninstalled, reinstalled, then went to options and turned everything on that should have already been. So far looks beautiful and is very fun. Diversity of these bosses and enemies is great and rendered beautifully on screen. Liking very much and I think I chose wisely. binge, but popped this on and really a blast thus far (really early, half hour or so).

So far looks beautiful and is very fun. Diversity of these bosses and enemies is great and rendered beautifully on screen. Liking very much and I think I chose wisely.
Old 07-31-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 559 Likes on 410 Posts

The first Darksiders is still the best non-Zelda 3D Zelda game that there has ever been.
Old 08-01-21, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The first Darksiders is still the best non-Zelda 3D Zelda game that there has ever been.
it’s extremely entertaining and wish I played sooner. Do the other 2 stack up at all? Don’t know much about 2, but saw a review that 3 was unforgiving with boss fights.
Old 08-01-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,242 Likes on 4,263 Posts

I liked 2 more than 1. It was more of a God of War clone than Zelda, and I prefer that sort of game play. Did not get into 3 though.
Old 08-01-21, 08:17 PM

Ooooh. If I like 1, sounds like I’ll love 2 and something to look forward to. Thanks Deck. Does it change up formula just a bit to keep it fresh?
Old 08-03-21, 08:10 PM

This game has given me the itch back. Like I can’t wait to play. Sadly, relegated to couple hours at most on weekends, but at least I look forward to playing again. It’s really a lot of fun and encompasses everything I like in games. Great 3rd person action platformer that all gels so marvelously. Love that it’s M rated and it shows. Fluid movement though you do got to keep camera with you most times. Great fight mechanics. Puzzles, secrets and lots of stuff to find. And I barely played. Can’t wait to get more into and then 2, possibly 3. Then maybe Genesis, since same works just different perspective. Top-down tight? Anyway, think I’m gonna love this series a lot. Off to a very solid start.

I play mostly FPS, and RE: Village last to give me itch, but damn is this not so much fun.
Old 08-04-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

As you get new abilities, you can go back to previous locations that had inaccessible areas. I don't recall going back being tedious, like it can be in some games, so it was worth it to me.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (08-04-21)
Old 08-04-21, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
As you get new abilities, you can go back to previous locations that had inaccessible areas. I don't recall going back being tedious, like it can be in some games, so it was worth it to me.
yeah, i saw things that there was no way i could get to in beginning. can't wait to keep going...
Old 08-04-21, 03:22 PM

And Mark Hamill is The Watcher?? Wow. Sounds so much like him. Like as in The Joker, but still cool. He’s done some great voice acting in his second career.

Really love this game.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-04-21 at 09:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.