DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Re: Batman: Arkham City Thread

^
Old 08-17-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate, hate, really hate the PC (Steam) version. Crashing all over the place. Not sure if I'm going to finish the game (I already played it in the Xbox 360 ).
Old 08-28-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, I think i just "finished" the game....Now I'm on some
Spoiler:
Catwoman level going after Two-Face

Was that it? Fight
Spoiler:
Clayface and watch The Joker die
and it's done? Seriously? Woooowww...Arkham Asylum is clearly the better game. I mean I like the cameos and shit but damn....what a let down. I'm not even sure I feel enough love for the game to go back through for the Riddler Clues....

Did I hear something about
Spoiler:
Harley being knocked up in some cut scene?
Did I imagine that? Where is it?
Old 08-28-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Are you forgetting the final boss fight in Arkham Asylum already? That was pretty underwhelming. I liked the end of this game. Yeah, it's not too epic a battle, but I really liked the way everything gets revealed to you in kind of the same way things get explained after the big reveal in The Sixth Sense (where they show you all the clues in flashback). I enjoyed the ending more than you, I guess. But at least you're not fighting a serum-ed up Joker in the same manner you just fought twenty other sub-bosses.

And that Catwom epilogue is so underwhelming it's not even funny. They should have put that before the end of the game proper because it's laughable and pointless and way too brief to care about. I accidentally defeated Two Face really early because I had my "thief vision" on and didn't realize it was him I was beating up.
Old 08-28-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know... frankly, I didn't have a problem with either game's final boss. I just felt like I was barely getting into the game after many frustrating hours of getting nowhere and spinning my wheels, and then it was over just like *THAT*.

I guess one day I'll go back and finish some missions...
Old 08-28-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I didn't think the ending to either game (especially Arkham Asylum) was particularly great, but the overall games are both still really fun and enjoyable so I didn't think they took away from the rest of the game.
Old 08-28-12, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow, I think i just "finished" the game....Now I'm on some
Spoiler:
Catwoman level going after Two-Face

Was that it? Fight
Spoiler:
Clayface and watch The Joker die
and it's done? Seriously? Woooowww...Arkham Asylum is clearly the better game. I mean I like the cameos and shit but damn....what a let down. I'm not even sure I feel enough love for the game to go back through for the Riddler Clues....

Did I hear something about
Spoiler:
Harley being knocked up in some cut scene?
Did I imagine that? Where is it?
that last spoiler is actually incorrect if you see the clues also..there's Harley's revenge or whatever.
Old 08-28-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
that last spoiler is actually incorrect if you see the clues also..there's Harley's revenge or whatever.
Is it? Ok, thats why i was asking. I couldnt remember if i heard it right and im unlikley to buy any extras for this game.
Old 05-10-13, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought the GOTY Edition last month - a week or two after the Year One download code expired, of course - but promised myself I wouldn't start it until after I finished reading all 1,300 pages of Under the Dome, since the game would surely be a colossal timesuck for me. Well, I'll be finishing the book probably tonight and then I'm going to leap right into Gotham.

You guys were very helpful when I asked for tips before starting Fallout 3 last year. So anything I should know about this game going in? Tips, tricks, advice?

(For the record, I loved and beat Arkham Asylum last year.)
Old 05-10-13, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Is it? Ok, thats why i was asking. I couldnt remember if i heard it right and im unlikley to buy any extras for this game.
It's not incorrect. If you beat the game again in the harder difficulty, instead of
Spoiler:
the Joker singing "Only You" during the end credits, you'd hear Harley sing "Hush Little Baby". That was to acknowledge the positive pregnancy test you can find towards the end of the game.

However, that was later retconned in the lackluster Harley's Revenge DLC. In the same location that you previously found the positive pregnancy test, you know find numerous negative pregancy tests amidst the sole positive.
Old 05-11-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
You guys were very helpful when I asked for tips before starting Fallout 3 last year. So anything I should know about this game going in? Tips, tricks, advice?

(For the record, I loved and beat Arkham Asylum last year.)
Not to be dismissive, but just have fun. I didn't find the game to be too complex or obtuse (you pretty much always know where to go and what to do for the most part). I did get hung up in one section in some sewers, but that was because I was being a bonehead. If you've played Asylum, you already have the tools you need to tackle this game.
Old 05-11-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Don't start flying around the city too early. I missed a plot point and wandered around the city for a couple hours before realizing what I missed. If you start running out of enemies to fight you missed something.

Or maybe I'm the only idiot that did this.
Old 05-11-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Don't start flying around the city too early. I missed a plot point and wandered around the city for a couple hours before realizing what I missed. If you start running out of enemies to fight you missed something.

Or maybe I'm the only idiot that did this.
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but just completed the game twice (regular and new game +), and I don't remember any point in the game where I didn't have an objective on the map or a gadget telling me which direction to go.
Old 05-11-13, 08:11 PM

I know what Corvin is talking about. There was a point In my game play-through after I went looking for the
Spoiler:
serum but before I went back to fight Mr Freeze
where I just didnt trigger the next story event and I ran out of bad guys to fight. I posted about it somewhere in this thread -- Arkham City turned into a ghost town with almost no bad guys to fight. I wasn't actively avoiding advancing the main story, but thought I could wander around and do side missions instead and the game didn't really know how to handle that gaming choic.
Old 05-12-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, guys. I started this yesterday and, as I assumed, it's a total timesuck. But I'm really loving it. Yeah, it doesn't seem as complicated as Fallout 3, with that game's story relying in decision making. I just wanted to make sure going in.

One thing, though. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change my costume in story mode. I've unlocked them all - they show up in the 3D character model section - but it's not letting me choose a skin when I start a saved game, as I have read should happen. Am I just not looking in the right place? Or is that just not an option on the easy level? (Yeah, I'm a wuss. )

I just want to play as old Bruce Wayne!
Old 05-12-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can change costume until you beat the game. Can't remember though.
Old 05-12-13, 04:43 PM

Yeah, you can't change your costume until after you finish the story. You can only wear them from the beginning if you choose to do a new game+ run.
Old 05-12-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
I know what Corvin is talking about. There was a point In my game play-through after I went looking for the
Spoiler:
serum but before I went back to fight Mr Freeze
where I just didnt trigger the next story event and I ran out of bad guys to fight. I posted about it somewhere in this thread -- Arkham City turned into a ghost town with almost no bad guys to fight. I wasn't actively avoiding advancing the main story, but thought I could wander around and do side missions instead and the game didn't really know how to handle that gaming choic.
Sounds exactly like what happened to me, but mine was much earlier in the game, like first hour. Up in the first tower, IIRC. I was just ready to roam and do side missions, fly around and experiment so I took off and apparently made Gotham 100% crime free. By the time I did that I had forgotten where to pick up where the story left off.
Old 05-12-13, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yeah, you can't change your costume until after you finish the story. You can only wear them from the beginning if you choose to do a new game+ run.
You can use them in Challenge rooms at any time, but yeah, you need to beat the game before using them in the main game for whatever reason. That's one thing that Tomb Raider improved on in their game (which seemed heavily inspired by this one and the Uncharted games).
Old 05-12-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, thanks. That's kind of a let down, but I'm having a great time playing the game. I'll get over it.
Old 07-04-13, 05:41 PM
Banned

I finally got around to playing AC. I just finished it, and I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed AA. I would rate AA as a 10, but AC is an 8 at best.

I think the developers claimed that AC is supposed to be twice as large as AA, but is that really true? Sure the exterior asylum environment in AA was fairly small, but it did have a lot of large interior environments. Intensive treatment, medical center, prison cell area, botanical gardens, and mansion were all large interior environments. While the exterior environment in AC is much larger than AA"s, it had only a couple interior environments that are as large as AA's. The steel mill and the museum were basically it. The GCPD, courthouse, church/med center, etc were all only one or two rooms each. So I really don't think AC was that much larger really.

The story and atmosphere was much better in AA. The
Spoiler:
Clayface twist didn't really make a whole lot of sense. It was like the developers just wanted to have a surprise ending for the sake of having a surprise ending.
The main story quest was also longer in AA. I remember that game taking almost 10 hours just for the main quest. AC's main quest was done in about 6-7 hours.

The Riddler trophies were also waaaaaaay overdone in AC. 400 trophies is just too damn much. I was getting bored with them after the 300th trophy and just stuck it out because I didn't want to leave them unfinished. It took me about 10-12 hours to collect them all. While the trophies were easy to find for the most part, some of them required extremely precise controller movement that was really aggravating. Its pretty ridiculous that the damn trophy hunt took almost twice as long as the main quest itself.

One other thing...

Augmented reality activated.
Augmented reality failed.

Fucking fucking fuck.

The basic augmented reality missions weren't bad, but the advanced ones were just fucking brutal. Especially the one in the steel mill area where you have to fly through this really really really fucking narrow ass tunnel. That one took me forever. Whoever was responsible for creating that mission should be fired. It wasn't fun. Its okay to retry something a few times until you get it right, but when it takes 30+ retries it is just plain badly designed.

I have played through AA three times getting 100% every time. I never see myself doing it again with AC. Its just not nearly as fun getting 100% in AC as it is in AA.
Old 07-06-13, 08:13 PM
Banned

Just finished New Game +. That was a bit more enjoyable with the added challenge.

There are a lot of plot holes and unresolved story that I noticed this time around.

Spoiler:
Near the beginning of the game when you first go to the steel mill and find Joker, he is apparently dead in a chair with Harley crying over him. Batman does the detective mode scan then and Joker is indeed dead because he has no pulse. He also has bones. Clayface doesn't have bones, and when you fight Joker at the end of the game in the funhouse that Joker doesn't have bones which indicates that its really Clayface. My question though is who was that dead Joker in the beginning? It couldn't have been Clayface since the dead Joker had bones.

Robin brings the linear launcher to Batman, so apparently Robin can enter and exit Arkham City freely? So why can't Batman? Why did he have to get himself arrested as Bruce Wayne in order to get inside?

Speaking of Robin, Batman gives him the blood sample and tells him to get it to the hospital so they can work on a cure. We never find out if they actually got a working cure, and the only cure Batman had was smashed at the end of the game.

Why is Joker seemingly the only one that is dying when lots of other inmates were also injected with Titan? Also Joker said he sent his blood to the hospitals weeks ago. So he has been dying for weeks, but yet Batman when injected has only a few hours to live.

Another thing that bothers me is the Deadshot mission says Deadshot was hired by Hugo Strange to assassinate certain people in Arkham City. Why even bother to hire Deadshot when Protocol Ten was going to kill them all anyway?
Old 07-06-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
One other thing...

Fucking fucking fuck.
Sounds familiar. Posted on 11/12/11:
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Finally started this game. Throwing you right into the game without any kind of refresher tutorial was annoying but not near as annoying as

Augmented Reality Training Failed.

Fuck you bitch. Damn, I want to shoot someone in the face.

Originally Posted by taffer
The basic augmented reality missions weren't bad, but the advanced ones were just fucking brutal. Especially the one in the steel mill area where you have to fly through this really really really fucking narrow ass tunnel. That one took me forever. Whoever was responsible for creating that mission should be fired. It wasn't fun. Its okay to retry something a few times until you get it right, but when it takes 30+ retries it is just plain badly designed.
I believe that's the one that resulted in my post and subsequently giving up on all of them.
Old 07-06-13, 08:52 PM

I don't know if I really got better at it or if it was just dumb luck the second time around, but it took me forever to get the augmented reality training when playing the game the first time, but I don't think it took me more than 3 tries at any of them during new game +
Old 07-06-13, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't know if I really got better at it or if it was just dumb luck the second time around, but it took me forever to get the augmented reality training when playing the game the first time, but I don't think it took me more than 3 tries at any of them during new game +
Yeah, I breezed through them in New Game + since I knew better what to do. The one in the steel mill area with the long narrow tunnel only took me 3 tries this time.

And I am VERY VERY glad that I didn't have to re-collect all the 400 damn Riddler trophies in New Game +. It was so much better just doing the hostage rescue missions alone. If only the political prisoners carried over in New Game + too so I wouldn't have to do that annoying part again...

Another thing I just remembered to add to my list of plot holes in my last post.

Spoiler:
Joker sends his diseased blood to the hospital. Um, what hospital accepts anonymous blood donations and even moreso what hospital doesn't scan the blood for diseases to make sure its safe to give to patients?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.