Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Batman: Arkham City Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Batman: Arkham City Thread

I've been going through the challenges now and I'm trying to learn how to chain combos and keep everything going. I think my highest combo was around 40...still trying to get to 50 for that achievement. Once I started linking quick gadgets in and learned the disarm special move, it got a lot more fun.
Old 02-02-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
If you are button mashing, you are doing it wrong. Getting good combos requires precise timing.
As explained below, you are.
Old 02-02-12, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I've been going through the challenges now and I'm trying to learn how to chain combos and keep everything going. I think my highest combo was around 40...still trying to get to 50 for that achievement. Once I started linking quick gadgets in and learned the disarm special move, it got a lot more fun.
Yeah, combos are so fun. If you are just button mashing your way through the game, you are literally missing half the fun. Go play an old arcade game like Double Dragon if you want to button mash.

My highest combo was over 100. Any fight with the hammer bros is easy to get high combos since those guys take so much abuse before falling. Stun them with the bat swarm special, then do the rapid fire beat down, bat swarm stun again when they are beginning to wake, rapid fire beat down, rinse and repeat and you keep the hammer bro in perpetual stunlock and can easily get a 30 hit combo on him alone before he finally falls.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
As explained below, you are.
What? If you are button mashing, you are definitely playing wrong. The game blatantly teaches you how to play properly with combos. Button mashing is what separates the good players from the crappy players. The Arkham series is incredibly easy to learn how to combo properly. Heaven help you if you ever decide to play an actual difficult game like Ninja Gaiden that requires you to not button mash. You won't get past the second level in Ninja Gaiden if you button mash.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 02-02-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-02-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

What? If you are button mashing, you are definitely playing wrong.

You can play the main game without learning combos and have a blast. Sure I learned the basics, but learning more than that isn't required. I'll take your word on AC being tougher than AA, but as I said I didn't have any problems on hard in the first game.

I don't care about games with complex combo systems that require an infinite amount of memorization. The challenge maps do nothing for me.
Old 02-02-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

What? If you are button mashing, you are definitely playing wrong. The game blatantly teaches you how to play properly with combos. Button mashing is what separates the good players from the crappy players. The Arkham series is incredibly easy to learn how to combo properly. Heaven help you if you ever decide to play an actual difficult game like Ninja Gaiden that requires you to not button mash. You won't get past the second level in Ninja Gaiden if you button mash.
Are you purposefully dense, or it is just something you feel like doing today?

The issue is not the combos. I've beaten the game on New+ button mashing. The issue is that you CAN do that by button mashing. I can get 20+ combos all game long, variation bonuses, etc. But the fact that you can get through it button mashing is the problem. Not that you should.

I beat Gaiden too, it's much much much harder than City. City is very easy, and way too repetitive. I preferred Asylum much more.
Old 02-02-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, combos are so fun. If you are just button mashing your way through the game, you are literally missing half the fun. Go play an old arcade game like Double Dragon if you want to button mash.

What? If you are button mashing, you are definitely playing wrong. The game blatantly teaches you how to play properly with combos. Button mashing is what separates the good players from the crappy players.
To interject here, if somebody wants to button mash, especially in a single player game, they can if they desire. Personally, if they are getting through the game and having fun, then so be it. There is no playing right or wrong as long as you enjoy yourself.

Arkham certainly uses combos to its advantage. However, to insunate that somebody has to play the game which is a fairly open world game in any way besides the way they want to is silly at best.

Edit: Double Dragon takes some skill too, at least it did in the arcade before it got ported over to console. Just a note
Old 02-02-12, 10:12 AM
Banned

There is definitely a right and wrong way to play games. Like the stealth genre for example. Some people will try to blaze through them Rambo style, and still manage to succeed. Yet that is the wrong way to play. You are missing the entire point of playing a stealth game if you Rambo it. Just go play a billion other FPS games if you want to Rambo.

The Arkham series gives a lot of tutorials on how to properly use combos. There really is no reason to therefore not to learn how to play. By button mashing you are literally telling the game to go screw itself and ignoring everything it tries to teach you.

The "real" Batman would never button mash. He's the goddamn Batman and you better respect.
Old 02-02-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is definitely a right and wrong way to play games.

The "real" Batman would never button mash. He's the goddamn Batman and you better respect.
WTF? Are you serious? While I hope this is sarcasm...there is no right way and wrong way to play any single player game. There is a better way to possibly play a game...but right and wrong? Somehow I don't think the Batman Arkham Video Game Police is going to come wrapping on somebody's door for button mashing. I don't care if X player wants to play Batman like a damn fairy, he or she can.

Heck my wife played the first game purely for the Riddler challenges. She doesn't even like the action aspect all that much and only does it enough to get to the next set of Riddler challenges. Maybe she should go back to playing CSI and Carmen Sandiego?

It is screwed up logic to insunate a right or wrong way to play a game. There are better ways to play, but right and wrong is BS.

One last example, in Skyrim...I play primarily a thief type character. But, I'm in heavy armor. Why? *shrug*...but it works, especially with the right perks. Maybe I should be in Light Armor, but its the way I chose to play it for right now.
Old 02-02-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

You are all wrong! AC is a Super Mario Bros style platformer. Batman would totally play it that way, bang your mom and then drink all your Mt. Dew!
Old 02-02-12, 12:08 PM
Banned

Dick Grayson probably would. He is more of a pimp than Bruce ever was. Bruce just mostly acts like a playboy, but Dick is a playboy. He banged Barbara and then immediately afterward tells her he is engaged to Starfire.

Spoiler:
Old 02-03-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Getting static directions/hints off

Hello

Last night I played a game for the first time since changing out our TV; about 3 weeks. I ended up getting a Panasonic Plasma and so far about 45 hrs in to it. When I played Batman last night, the fast grapple directions of ..."+, + (hold) to fast grapple" would not go off no matter where or what I did. When I went to ground or climbed over a wall it stayed on in the middle or moved to the side. There was also some hint under the compass/direction meter that was related to this.

I'm a bit paranoid about having anything static for now. Maybe I wasn't concerned or noticed before but does this not go away?
Old 02-03-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you talking about burn-in, or a bug in the game?
Old 02-03-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess burn-in. And that's not normal. You should check the AVS forums for your TV model, but my guess is that your TV may be defective.
Old 02-03-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a bug in the game, and he's afraid of burn in if that message is always there.

It shows up still even after quitting/restarting the game?
Old 02-03-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I play on a Panasonic plasma as well. Sometimes there is image retention after playing games, but it goes away. I don't think you have to worry about burn-in, Buzz.
Old 02-03-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Getting static directions/hints off

Hello

Last night I played a game for the first time since changing out our TV; about 3 weeks. I ended up getting a Panasonic Plasma and so far about 45 hrs in to it. When I played Batman last night, the fast grapple directions of ..."+, + (hold) to fast grapple" would not go off no matter where or what I did. When I went to ground or climbed over a wall it stayed on in the middle or moved to the side. There was also some hint under the compass/direction meter that was related to this.

I'm a bit paranoid about having anything static for now. Maybe I wasn't concerned or noticed before but does this not go away?
Yeah, I got some crazy image-retention on my 50" Panny plasma. I was balls-deep into Borderlands, so it was that game's HUD that was burnt into the screen. Even though the TV was well beyond 100 hours. It did go away after about a week - now, a couple years later, I get practically no image-retention; if & when I do, it's gone in minutes.
Old 02-03-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well thanks guys. I'll do it again tonight and see but I just don't why that one item/hint is always there. It's like when you get a new upgrade, you get the tips and it'll be on the main screen for awhile and then go away.

Take a look at this screen shot here.....

http://www.ign.com/wikis/batman-arkh...op_Protocol_10

Right where @ Glide Kick is....that's where this....+,+ Hold to Fast Grapple is and stays. And right above the Batman logo where to dive ususlly is the directional compass and below it is some hints on what to do when Fast Grappling. I came up behind someone for a sleeper hold and all it did was move to the side while in the middle had the Press Y. Then afterwards it went back to the middle. I'll see again tonight. I'm hoping for a one-one-bug only.
Old 02-04-12, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall "fast grapple", are you talking about the grapple boost? This is the move that basically shoots you up into the air instead of depositing you on top of whatever edge you are grappling.
There is a quick grapple combat move, but it's not double press and hold like the grapple boost. If you hadn't performed the move maybe it was still trying to "teach" you how to do it. I noticed the hints stick around until you did a move, and would even reappear if you fail to perform the right combat moves enough times.

Last edited by wmansir; 02-04-12 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I finished the main storyline last night. I also finished Catwoman's storyline (I hope they find something more compelling for her to do in the next game). Overall, I enjoyed the game but I have some reservations about the story.

Spoiler:
As others have mentioned, the ending has a glaring plot hole: the vials of antidote.

The Joker infected Batman and the citizens of Gotham with his blood (do they even bother to screen blood in Gotham hospitals?). He had Harley steal the vials. One of the vials got destroyed (I forget when or how). Also for some reason Harley was tied up before Strange put Protocol 10 in effect (if there was an explanation for that, I totally missed it). Clayface/Joker kidnaps Talia and takes the remaining vial with him. For no apparent reason, Clayface/Joker doesn't give the Joker the vial. Batman gets the vial, drinks half and the Joker accidentally smashes the vial. The Joker manages to imbibe a little bit of the antidote (enough, I'm sure, to say he only slipped into a coma and will slowly recover in time for the next game) and Batman reveals he would have been willing to share it with him despite everything that happened. So... Batman was willing to doom the innocent citizens of Gotham but not the madman that poisoned them? Were Dini and his co-writers pulling a reverse The Dark Knight Returns and trying to imply that it is Batman who is in love with the Joker?

Ra's being the power behind Hugo Strange was pretty obvious and it was rather frustrating that the World's Greatest Detective couldn't figure that out. I'm willing to forgive the naivety of Hugo Strange's goal (that the world would proclaim him a hero for causing mass slaughter, no matter how vile some of the inmates were) because he's batshit crazy. But it does bug me that he (and by association, Ra's) was so shortsighted in how to best use Mad Hatter's mind control techniques.

And what was the deal with Talia's plan? She lets herself get kidnaped so that Batman can show up to rescue - err - watch her kill the Joker... Yeah...

At least one of the those glaring plot holes could have been fixed with story based DLC for Robin and/or Nightwing. Instead we just get more challenge maps.
Some clarification, but no answer to the big question:
Spoiler:
First, the first vial is destroyed by Mr. Freeze just to fuck with Batman and blackmail him into rescuing Nora for the only remaining vial.

But, as for why Harley is tied up, it's because Talia intercepted her on her way back to the Joker after she stole the vial from Mr. Freeze. Talia tells Batman in the theater that Harley stole it from Freeze and she stole it back. That's why Clayface was faking being a healthy Joker and the real Joker never got the cure.

The Joker doesn't know that Talia has the vial, he just knows that Harley hasn't returned with it and so he/clayface accepts Talia's offer to spare Batman in exchange for the resurrection chamber. Once Talia reveals she has the vial Joker shoots her and Clayface grabs it and immediately fights Batman.

Old 02-04-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir
I don't recall "fast grapple", are you talking about the grapple boost? This is the move that basically shoots you up into the air instead of depositing you on top of whatever edge you are grappling.
There is a quick grapple combat move, but it's not double press and hold like the grapple boost. If you hadn't performed the move maybe it was still trying to "teach" you how to do it. I noticed the hints stick around until you did a move, and would even reappear if you fail to perform the right combat moves enough times.
Sorry about that...you are correct; it's the "Grapple Boost" directions that I'm getting on the screen and it won't go away. As I pointed out in the thread using the link to the still image. It doesn't matter if I'm on top of a building or walking on the street...it's there..

Idiot Update.....yea, idiot update. I found out I was getting the message on the Grapple Boost becuse I hadn't done it yet. I had just got it (I'm guessing) and didn't use it right awy so it stayed up there until I usd it...DUH!!!

Last edited by K&AJones; 02-05-12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-04-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
Some clarification, but no answer to the big question:
Spoiler:
First, the first vial is destroyed by Mr. Freeze just to fuck with Batman and blackmail him into rescuing Nora for the only remaining vial.

But, as for why Harley is tied up, it's because Talia intercepted her on her way back to the Joker after she stole the vial from Mr. Freeze. Talia tells Batman in the theater that Harley stole it from Freeze and she stole it back. That's why Clayface was faking being a healthy Joker and the real Joker never got the cure.

The Joker doesn't know that Talia has the vial, he just knows that Harley hasn't returned with it and so he/clayface accepts Talia's offer to spare Batman in exchange for the resurrection chamber. Once Talia reveals she has the vial Joker shoots her and Clayface grabs it and immediately fights Batman.

Thanks for that info. I'm currently replaying the game (mainly to a glitch that wiped my entire gamesave) so I'll keep an eye out for those moments.
Old 02-05-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheDude
It's probably the spot where you have to throw the batarang down the corridor to the arcing electricity and then bring it back to hit the fuse box.
I think this is where I'm at; the fighting pit and you have three doors below the balcony. The one on the left is slightly raised and you slide under it. However I cannot find out how or where you charge the remote batarang? I'm on my second pass thru and the two side entrances don't have any electricity anymore. I'm throwing the Batarang threw the top opening of the windows with the bars. I can see the middle room clearly with the trophy in the middle with water but I don't see any juice inthat room or the other (far right).
Old 02-05-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

If you are looking toward the middle room with the balcony above, it's above the gate to your right. You have to toss the batarang up the balcony and down the steps through the part above the gate. You can figure out the rest from there.
Old 02-06-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... and if the the side entrances don't have electricity, you can just open the right door.
Old 02-08-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you Michael and Raul... got it last night

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.