Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is Your Biggest Pet Peeve with the Gaming Industy?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What is Your Biggest Pet Peeve with the Gaming Industy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What is Your Biggest Pet Peeve with the Gaming Industy?

review embargoes until day of or after release (i'm looking at you prototype).
Old 06-09-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have two (current) complaints:
1 - Nintendo getting lazy as hell with the Virtual Console....seriously, you have ten platforms to support but you only release 1 game a week?? I guess you can be that lame when you're in first place and keep having truckloads of cash dumped on your lap from your "actual" console (and handheld) sales....still, isn't the point of business to make the MOST money possible?
2 - the never-ending parade of Guitar Hero titles.....as I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't care about all these separate disc releases if they were just importable into one nice catalog (basically, the Rock Band model).....but alas, they are not, and now you need to keep a spreadsheet with the tracklist to each game just to know where the hell to find "No Excuses" the next time a friend wants to jam to Alice In Chains....
Old 06-09-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the fans that assume they know everything about development. Don't get me wrong, there's a bunch of terrible game mechanics like the many mentioned here, ones that haven't been fixed in multiple generations, but the whole "devs are being lazy" or whatever always makes me laugh.
Old 06-10-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Personally, I feel the whole "hardcore or casual" market has gone so far out of control with the media. Take a shot every time those 2 words are said on an average video game podcast (1UP for example) and you will be drunk before the 30 minute mark.

I also have games are pad out the running time. I know i'm in the minority, but I have no problem paying for an excellent 6 hour game, rather then slush through a 10-12 hour game that got old halfway through. I like to finish all the games I start, but when they wear out their welcome after a couple hours, I get annoyed.
Old 06-10-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Having one stupid game mechanic that stops me from progressing any further.
The airplane through hoops missions in some of the Grand Theft Auto games, and the music note puzzle in Myst stopped me dead from playing the games further. Never bothered to go back and finish them.
Old 06-10-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
My Pet Peeves:

-Final Boss Blobs with Tentacles. (Done over and over again)
-Cars in games that are difficult to control. (Challenge my ass, you guys didn't do it right)
-Bad Cameras (cheap way of making game harder)
-No Choice in 1st person and 3rd person views. (some games do this)
-No way to map your controller that way you want 100%

Bad controls and bad camera angles shouldn't be adding to the difficulty. That is crap.
Old 06-10-09, 01:48 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I'm the exact opposite. I'm tired of games that are frustratingly difficult or overly punishing. This is made worse by sparsley placed checkpoints or save points. I don't want to repeat a 30 minute section of game multiple times (where I've mastered the first 29 minutes), just because the developer arbitrarily decided to place the next checkpoint after an incredibly difficult section. Repeating sections of a game multiple times is the fastest way for me to lose my immersion in a game.
I agree 100%.

I play games to have fun, not to get frustrated. I still haven't finished Killzone 2, because there's one section I wasn't able to get past.

I would love to have an option to temporarily drop down to a lower difficulty level. Or after a couple deaths, you could skip ahead to the next checkpoint.
Old 06-10-09, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

EA monopolizing the NFL licensed games...I miss you 2K football!!!!! NFL 2K5 is the best football game for the 360, and it's not even a 360 game.

I also agree about the control/camera issues...yeah, I'm looking at you, "Alone in the Dark"!! Worst controls ever.

Movies made into games, especially kid movies. Cars (& Mater-National), Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, Monster House, The Bee Movie, Monsters vs. Aliens, Spiderman (except Spiderman 2), Superman, etc... Most of the time the game is just garbage. I think the idea is good, but the games rarely have any kind of 'depth'. If you're gonna develop a movie-game, put some time into it.

1970's-style-Saturday-morning-cartoon graphics. I know..."graphics don't make a game ggood", but I guess I'm in the minority since I like a game to look stunning. Viva Pinata's, Mario games, and my biggest offender, WariWare. It's like playing a second grade art show.
Old 06-10-09, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
Having one stupid game mechanic that stops me from progressing any further.
The airplane through hoops missions in some of the Grand Theft Auto games ...
i felt the same way about the helicopter missions / activities in saints row 2. i almost put the game away because of it. i just was not very good at maneuvering the aircraft.
Old 06-10-09, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I would love to have an option to temporarily drop down to a lower difficulty level. Or after a couple deaths, you could skip ahead to the next checkpoint.
IIRC, I think Stranglehold did this. If you die more than a few times in a row it asks you if you want to drop down.

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
1970's-style-Saturday-morning-cartoon graphics. I know..."graphics don't make a game ggood", but I guess I'm in the minority since I like a game to look stunning. Viva Pinata's, Mario games, and my biggest offender, WariWare. It's like playing a second grade art show.
Obviously we watched different cartoons in the 70's. Viva Pinata & Super Mario Galaxy look amazing. Fat Albert, Scooby-Doo and Hannah Barbara, these are not.
Old 06-10-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FusionX
I hope the trend of easy games ends soon. I've played through UFC, Red Faction, Damnation, Fuel, Infamous, Velvet Assassin, Wolverine, Mad World, Battlestations: Pacific and some others lately and all were far too easy. I tend to play the hardest difficulty level, but even that now is pretty cake. I would love to see more games add a true "insane" mode that pushes you to use your skills to win, even if that means suicide. Call of Duty and Gears (solo, co-op is pretty easy even on Insane) both have rather hard campaigns on the highest levels, all games should offer this kind of challenge, or even harder ones. So leave easy and medium there for the kids or new players, but give a suicide level of difficulty also.
You must have a lot of free time on your hands. Was Ninja Gaiden too easy for ya too?
Old 06-10-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
this is my biggest deal. sure, christmas games sell because of that reason. but tons of games have been released in the rest of the year that have gone on to be best sellers.

Only one big game coming out next month. On 9/1, there are like 5 or 6 high profile games coming out. WHY?!?!! Why can't these idiot publishers spread out the releases.

Granted, it has improved some. I remember a few years ago where the only big title between Jan - July was The Darkness.
Old 06-10-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I also have games are pad out the running time. I know i'm in the minority, but I have no problem paying for an excellent 6 hour game, rather then slush through a 10-12 hour game that got old halfway through. I like to finish all the games I start, but when they wear out their welcome after a couple hours, I get annoyed.
I think this is bad for developers, because it could lead to more rentals, but I absolutely prefer the short concentrated experience, versus that of pointless grinding and padding. I think 10 hours isn't a bad length for a game, but something like Portal really shows you how short and sweet can be the most perfect thing ever.

Also, I absolutely abhor quick time events. They aren't fun or clever, just tedious. I can understand people building games around them now, and that's fine, but why they are put in games with good controls (God of War, RE4, countless others) is beyond me. Show me your cut scene if you want, but don't make me press random buttons while you do it.
Old 06-10-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

They cannot make good movie base games (hint...Ahnold)
Old 06-10-09, 11:05 AM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I only have two (current) complaints:
1 - Nintendo getting lazy as hell with the Virtual Console....seriously, you have ten platforms to support but you only release 1 game a week?? I guess you can be that lame when you're in first place and keep having truckloads of cash dumped on your lap from your "actual" console (and handheld) sales....still, isn't the point of business to make the MOST money possible?
This.
Old 06-10-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with quite a few things in here already:

- VC Laziness
- NFL/MLB exclusivity.
- Control mapping

A few other things that annoy me recently:

- Achievements. I love achievements like most, but some of them are terrible.
First off, achievements that don't unlock lower level difficulty = inexcusable, especially now that everyone has figured it out.
Second, achievements for mutliplayer kills... on shitty games. I call these "Don't flatter yourself" achievements, because no one is going to play your shitty game that long.
Thirdly, don't make achievements for stuff you wouldn't do yourself devs. I enjoy the challenging achievements as much as anyone, but there are seriously achievements out there that no one has been able to get. Be realistic about your challenges.

- Patches/Broken games - For a long time PC games had the edge over console games because if something didn't work correctly you could fix it in a patch. For many "great" console games, this meant doing extensive QA testing before release. Now that games have gotten more complex & patchable, games seem to come out in a beta-build, which normally would have ruined any chance of a profit for the game once word got out. Now we sit around for a month or two waiting for the next patch to fix whatever it is. Stuff like Mr. Driller Online not working ONLINE is completely ridiculous and inexcusable at launch.
Old 06-10-09, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by lordwow
- Patches/Broken games - For a long time PC games had the edge over console games because if something didn't work correctly you could fix it in a patch. For many "great" console games, this meant doing extensive QA testing before release. Now that games have gotten more complex & patchable, games seem to come out in a beta-build, which normally would have ruined any chance of a profit for the game once word got out. Now we sit around for a month or two waiting for the next patch to fix whatever it is. Stuff like Mr. Driller Online not working ONLINE is completely ridiculous and inexcusable at launch.
I find this to be the single most annoying thing about the industry. Sadly, it seems this will be more common in the future.
Old 06-10-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
My addition to what already's been said would be adding things to your game with the sole purpose of selling strategy guides. Usually these are of the "find 100 _____ throughout the game world" treasure hunt task variety.
Collecting done right: Crackdown, Bioshock
Collecting done wrong: Assassin's Creed, Banjo Kazooie

Seriously, there were 800 of those fucking orbs in Crackdown and it was just as fun to hunt for those as play the main game.
Old 06-10-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
GTA: IV was horrible too with the pigeons.
Old 06-10-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While AC was pretty bad in terms of how they did it, I found it to be pretty easy, especially with some of the superb guides online.
Old 06-10-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm playing RE5 right now and thought it was silly that those BSAA emblems are everywhere.
Old 06-10-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Devil May Cry does this too.

For probably all of these complaints, there are games that have figured out how to do it correctly. I always wonder...why are some of these things still broken? Hell, just steal what the other people did.
Old 06-10-09, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I find this to be a hilarious complaint. Games never had an automatic life refill until last gen (that I can remember), and I always thought it felt like cheating. Now you can't find a game that has some sort of life replenishment system that isn't automatic. Whether it be mushrooms or a health pack, I miss finding those items for health. It made you think a little more about what you were doing.
Coincidentally, I was just trading e-mails with a friend in the industry who mentioned Singularity, which I hadn't heard of. So I looked it up on wikipedia and saw this:

Raven announced in their interview by GameInformer that the player will not have regenerating health such as shields, and will instead have a life bar. Raven believes that this will increase exploration for the game and not create a rushed experience.
(It actually sounds like a pretty cool game and I'm looking forward to picking it up this fall).
Old 06-10-09, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Collecting done right: Crackdown, Bioshock

Seriously, there were 800 of those fucking orbs in Crackdown and it was just as fun to hunt for those as play the main game.
I found the mechanics of collecting in Crackdown and Assassin's Creed to be indistinguishable. Looking for a jillion little orbs was no easier or more difficult than looking for a jillion little flags (for the record, I enjoyed both).

Another pet peeve: games -- especially platformers -- with flying cameras I can't control. It's so frustrating when I need to jump from here to there and I have to fight with the camera to figure out which direction I'm supposed to be pushing on the stick.
Old 06-10-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Putting in backtracking sections just to extend the gameplay, zzzzzzz....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.