Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is Your Biggest Pet Peeve with the Gaming Industy?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What is Your Biggest Pet Peeve with the Gaming Industy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts
Re: What is Your Biggest Pet Peeve with the Gaming Industy?

Originally Posted by superfro
More on the enthusiast side, but I have issues with review scores. More specifically how anymore a 7-8 rating on a 10 point scale is perceived by the general public as a "horrible score". Are you fucking kidding me?!
Oh, we can probably start a whole different thread about reviews pet peeves. What about people not reading the review and just going by the score? What about magazines and sites giving the review to someone who hates the genre? Reviews (especially exclusive ones) that read more like glorified ads than actual critical reviews? Reviewers docking games for lack of innovation, but then praising other games for giving us more of the same (what is this, American Idol?).
Old 06-11-09, 01:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

And it's almost impossible to find good reviews of children's games. Reviewers put them immediately in the "suck" bucket because they'd rather be playing "Blood and Tits 5".
Old 06-11-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
And it's almost impossible to find good reviews of children's games. Reviewers put them immediately in the "suck" bucket because they'd rather be playing "Blood and Tits 5".
"Blood & Tits 5" is out already??? It seems like "Blood & Tits 4" just hit the shelves a couple months ago!!

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 06-11-09 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 06-11-09 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Double post
Old 06-11-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
you're not looking in the right place then.
Old 06-11-09, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sort of don't like patches unless it's a game-breaking thing like not being able to progress past a certain point. I remember playing games and we accepted the issues and had fun with them. Now, kids get on the forums and cry and complain and demand that the game be patched to "fix" everything they don't like. Sometimes I read things where they want it to be almost an entirely different game.

I was reading an Oblivion thread and someone said the next Elder Scrolls should be fixed to "not let me dupe items."
Old 06-11-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I disagree. In Crackdown you could clearly see the Orbs on the horizon or on a distant building and the fun was figuring out how to get to it. In AC the flags are the same blacks, greys, and browns as the environment. Hard to spot. I'm not saying they needed to be neon green & blue to spot, but at least throw some reds & greens with a gold coat of arms or crest on the flag to make it stand out more. The audio cue in Crackdown was genius.
I agree. The fun in collecting the orbs in crackdown was figuring out how to do it, each orb was like a mini puzzle to solve in the game. It was built into the mechanics of how you played the game, and made exploring the environment more interesting. A game like Assassin's Creed goes the wrong route, with collectables that you just stumble accross in the game, or you must meticulously comb ever inch of the repetitive enviroment. The placement of the flags seems like somebody just randomly clicked around in the enviroment rather than strategically placing them in interesting locations. Finding the flags was like finding a needle in a haystack, boring.