Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which one to buy?
Lips for the Xbox 360
25.00%
Singstar for PS3
25.00%
Neither; save your money for Rock Band DLC.
50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Singstar vs. Lips: Which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Singstar vs. Lips: Which one to buy?

I'm a big Rock Band fan, but I've got family (3 kids) and friends who really just enjoy the singing parts. I've been thinking of picking up one of the karoake games, but can't decide which one. So I'm looking for fellow dvdtalker's thoughts on which one they prefer and why. I really like that Rock Band allows you to import songs and keep things in one library, but it doesn't seem like either of these games allow that. For the record, I do have both systems, play the 360 more, but like the PS3 just as well. So...any thoughts?
Old 06-06-09, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Singstar vs. Lips: Which one to buy?

Lips is a lot of fun and I am pretty sure you can use DLC in either of the games. Not the same as importing, but something. I really like the set-up on Lips, with reward for vibrato especially.
Old 06-06-09, 03:39 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Karaoke Revolution is another game to consider.
Old 06-06-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everything I've heard about Singstar makes it sound better than Lips. Most online folks seem to think that the Lips song list and DLC is pretty weak. I may be wrong about this, but I think Singstar might have backwards compatibility with the PS2 versions. Like, you can put in a copy of Singstar for the PS2 (and there are tons, like Singstar Abba etc.) and it will rip the tracks to Singstar PS3. So maybe you could pick up PS2 Singstar discs for $5-10 second hand and really bulk out your track selection?

Lips 2 is coming for 360, not sure about the release date. Also, I've heard that the Lips wireless mics are pretty cool.
Old 06-06-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rock Band, unless you're a big pop fan, in which case I'd get Singstar.
Old 06-06-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or, if you think they'd dig it, Beatles Rock Band!!! They could even harmonize.
Old 06-06-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Everything I've heard about Singstar makes it sound better than Lips. Most online folks seem to think that the Lips song list and DLC is pretty weak. I may be wrong about this, but I think Singstar might have backwards compatibility with the PS2 versions. Like, you can put in a copy of Singstar for the PS2 (and there are tons, like Singstar Abba etc.) and it will rip the tracks to Singstar PS3. So maybe you could pick up PS2 Singstar discs for $5-10 second hand and really bulk out your track selection?

Lips 2 is coming for 360, not sure about the release date. Also, I've heard that the Lips wireless mics are pretty cool.
Apparently, it won't actually rip the tracks to your HDD, but it will allow you to swap discs and play tracks from other versions.
Old 06-06-09, 07:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, Karaoke Revolution is more or less built on the same singing engine they use for Rock Band (Harmonix developed the original Karaoke Revolution games).
Old 06-06-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To me, the best karaoke game is Karaoke Revolution. Unfortunately they don't use masters, but it is the same scrolling pitch meter that Rock Band uses.
Old 06-06-09, 10:29 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDChris
To me, the best karaoke game is Karaoke Revolution. Unfortunately they don't use masters, but it is the same scrolling pitch meter that Rock Band uses.
From KR website, it looks like this years version has original master recordings for the first time:

"Karaoke Revolution® returns with an all-new lineup of music, characters, and venues! Sing to 50 new master tracks, choose from 16 different venues, and enjoy online modes (Xbox 360 and PS3 only) with your friends

Compatible with existing library of 200+ songs, in addition to all new downloadable content on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360 versions:
Licensed master tracks
Venues
Clothing/accessories
"
Old 06-07-09, 03:56 AM

If you can find a singstar at your local Toys R US. All singstar is on clearance for 9.98. All PS3 and PS2 versions are at that price.
Old 06-07-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
If you can find a singstar at your local Toys R US. All singstar is on clearance for 9.98. All PS3 and PS2 versions are at that price.
I was about to post the same thing. You can get both PS3 vol. 1 & 2 with four mics for 20 bucks.

I just bought Singstar thru this clearance and I think it is pretty cool. I like having the original videos of the songs playing in the background and if you have the Eye for the PS3, it will record you and your family singing. It will record your audio whether you have the eye or not and you can upload either or both to the PSN. Then people can rate your performance, you can rate others, watch and laugh at other people, etc. It's pretty cool.

Their DLC is a little disappointing (I was expecting a lot more songs to choose from and not to be so English pop heavy) but for $10...you can't beat it.

I haven't played Lips yet but will likely pick it up if it ever gets clearanced out just to try it.
Old 06-07-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

YMMV, but one of the Targets near me had Lips on clearance for $25. Not a bad price for the game and the mics (which are very nice). Haven't tried Singstar yet, but Lips is pretty fun.
Old 06-07-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

The best thing about Lips vs. Singstar that I know about is that Lips have wireless mics. For some odd reason, the mics with the Singstar for PS3 are wired. WTF?
Old 06-07-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up Lips at a Target nears for 12.95. It was marked 49.99 but I scanned it.

Then I got Singstar Bundle for 19.96 at Walmart--it was less at Toys R Us but I wasn't able to find a copy. I wanted something for my PS3 (plus I have to admit I want the Singstar Abba game as horrible as that will be for my neighbors).

I haven't played too much yet since I promised my wife only to play them when she's not home, due to my horrible singing, so I don't really have a preference, whichever you can find cheap I guess.
Old 06-07-09, 05:07 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would have to say if your looking for dlc go with Lips, I have always heard the Singstar fans complain about the shitty dlc.
Old 06-07-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a Target or TRU near me. If anyone wants to hook me up, it'd be much appreciated (especially by the kids).
Old 06-07-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
From KR website, it looks like this years version has original master recordings for the first time:

"Karaoke Revolution® returns with an all-new lineup of music, characters, and venues! Sing to 50 new master tracks, choose from 16 different venues, and enjoy online modes (Xbox 360 and PS3 only) with your friends

Compatible with existing library of 200+ songs, in addition to all new downloadable content on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360 versions:
Licensed master tracks
Venues
Clothing/accessories
"
what sucks about their "library of 200+ songs" is that all the songs that are DLC is just from the previous discs. There's no way to export the songs if you own the disc, and there is no way I'm buying them all over again.