Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts
Re: Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Originally Posted by lordwow
There's no reason you can't eat cake for breakfast.
No, but no one specifically makes cake for breakfast, just like no one makes doughnuts for dessert.
Old 05-22-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max and Irma's serves warm cinnamon donuts as a dessert item on their menu. Pwned!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
Old 05-22-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does one classify a sopapilla? It's clearly a dessert, but is it technically a donut?
Old 05-22-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What the hell is a sopapilla?
Old 05-22-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
sugary, cinnamony, mexican goodness. Great with honey.
Old 05-22-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,438 Likes on 979 Posts

how the hell do you live where you live and not know what a sopapilla is?
Old 05-22-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones
how the hell do you live where you live and not know what a sopapilla is?
I have no idea where I would go to ever see one of those!
Old 05-22-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can always start with google.

No one has answered the question. Sopapilla: donut or dough-not?
Old 05-22-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
You can always start with google.

No one has answered the question. Sopapilla: donut or dough-not?
Well i'm not trying to find one, I'm wondering where around the area I would happened to come across it to even know what it is
Old 05-22-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopapilla

My father-in-law was born in New Mexico so we make the New Mexican variety of sopapilla used during dinner to mop up all the juicy goodness leftover on the plate. So in our house, they're totally dinner and dessert (just add honey). It's totally not a doughnut. It's more like fried tortilla dough.
Old 05-22-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierMike
Max and Irma's serves warm cinnamon donuts as a dessert item on their menu. Pwned!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
Hmmm... I might have to go to Max & Erma's next week.

Oh and, mod? Mod-Schmod. We totally diffused this ticking time bomb of a thread.
Old 05-22-09, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

LINK

Jason Booth a developer who worked on Guitar Hero I, II and Rock Band explains exactly why ports to the ps3 will never be as good as their 360 counter parts, and why most ps3 exclusives will likely continue to suck. Well he did work on the smash hit that is Guitar hero so its worth a read.

I read various game forums from time to time, and often see gamers complaining about ‘lazy ports’ to the ps3. They often mention how the ps3 is the most powerful game console and blame developers working on the console for doing a bad job. Sony has all of these people duped by impressive marketing spin, and I’m often amazed at how potent this type of rhetoric proves to be. For those unaware, I’m going to break it down simply and explain exactly why ports to the ps3 will never be as good as their 360 counter parts, and why most ps3 exclusives will likely continue to suck. First, lets debunk a few common misconceptions:

“The PS3 is more graphically advanced than the 360″

Fill rate is one of the primary ways to measure graphics performance - in essence, it’s a number describing how many pixel operations you can perform. The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance. Additionally, the shader processing on the ps3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the ps3 than it does on the 360. And I’m not talking about small differences here, we’re talking roughly half the pixel pushing power.

“Ok, fine, but the cell is like, super powerful”

In theory, sure, but in reality it doesn’t work out that way. Game code simply doesn’t split well across multiple processors. You can probably find a way to split a few things off fairly easily - put the audio on one processor, animation on another; but generally the breakup is always going to leave several of the SPUs idle or underutilized. On top of that, it’s usually not CPU speed that restricts the visuals in games - it’s fill rate.

“Uh, Blue Ray!”

Great for watching movies, but not so great for games. Getting data off the blue ray drive takes about twice as long as it does to get the same data off the 360’s DVD drive. That translates into longer load times, or god forbid if your streaming from disk, tighter constraints on the amount of data you can stream.

“But it’s got a lot more space than DVD”

Ok, you got me there - it does have a lot more space, and there is the potential to use that to do something cool, but thats unlikely to be realized in any useful way. There are tons of compression techniques available for data and I’d personally rather be able to get my data faster than have more of it. Most developers who use the entire Blue Ray drive are doing it to work around other problems with the ps3 such as it’s slow loading - for instance, in Resistance: Fall of Man, every art asset is stored on disk once for every level that uses it. So rather than storing one copy of a texture, you’re storing it 12 times. If you took that entire game and removed all the duplicate data, it would likely fit on a DVD without any problem. They do this to speed up load times, which, as I pointed out before, are painfully slow on the ps3. So in this case, the extra space is completely wasted.

“Once developers figure out the PS3 they’ll maximize the hardware and it will be amazing”

I suspect a small number of PS3 only developers will optimize the hardware to do something cool. However, this will be an exception to the rule, and will likely involved game designs that are specifically designed for the hardware and funded by Sony. If those will prove to be fun or not is another question.

Most of the performance centric research into the PS3 has been around making it easier for developers to get the same level of performance you get out of the 360 naturally. For instance, some developers are using those extra SPU’s on the cell to prepare data for the rendering pipeline. Basically, they take the data they would normally send to the graphics chip, send it to an SPU which optimizes it in some manner, then send it to the graphics chip. So, once again we see an ‘advantage’ in hardware being used to make up for a disadvantage in another area - a common theme with the ps3. And this introduces an extra frame of latency into the equation, making controller response slower.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 05-22-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,097 Likes on 869 Posts

^ Stay on topic, dammit.

I could go for some donuts, Unwrapped about them is on right now
Old 05-22-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bias towards the 360 but I think graphics are better on the PS3. They just seem smoother.
Old 05-22-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad the guy that worked on the graphically intensive Guitar Hero and Rock Band games is here to tell us the PS3 is inferior. I just hope the developer of N+ is up next to tell us why a PS3 version was impossible.

As far as telling us games developed for 360 will not be as good on PS3, we have enough examples of that to have figured it out by now.
Old 05-22-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm glad the guy that worked on the graphically intensive Guitar Hero and Rock Band games is here to tell us the PS3 is inferior. I just hope the developer of N+ is up next to tell us why a PS3 version was impossible.

As far as telling us games developed for 360 will not be as good on PS3, we have enough examples of that to have figured it out by now.
well really one needed to go no futher than
Guitar Hero Dev: Why PS3 Exclusives WILL Suck
by Robert Fallback on Oct 26th, 2007
to know this douchebag is full of shit
Old 05-22-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stopped reading after the "why most PS3 exclusives will continue to suck". Seriously, shitty articles like that have no business to be read by any sane gamer.
Old 05-22-09, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkside

Generally, developers and programmers aren't idiots. Just because they work on games that aren't particularly heavy on graphics doesn't mean that they're unfamiliar with the development of game engines and graphical pipelines. There's also a big difference versus someone that makes a flash game.

Unless you're a programmer and want to prove that he's wrong, eh?
Old 05-22-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by musick
well really one needed to go no futher than

to know this douchebag is full of shit
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I stopped reading after the "why most PS3 exclusives will continue to suck". Seriously, shitty articles like that have no business to be read by any sane gamer.
The title of the article really doesn't have anything to do with the actual text.
Old 05-22-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Would the opinions be different if the article title said something like "Technological inadequacies of the Playstation3"?
Old 05-22-09, 10:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There are some good points in the article, but there's more to games than great graphics, and even if the PS3 could never graphically match the 360 doesn't mean it can't have great exclusives.
Old 05-22-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, developers and programmers aren't idiots. Just because they work on games that aren't particularly heavy on graphics doesn't mean that they're unfamiliar with the development of game engines and graphical pipelines. There's also a big difference versus someone that makes a flash game.

Unless you're a programmer and want to prove that he's wrong, eh?
Also, I was thinking Sony's douchebagness that we, the consumers see, must be ten fold for people that work for them.
Old 05-22-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are going to be very few people that are going to notice that extra second of load, or that slight variation in graphics. I have seen nothing as of yet that I can see that will say that either system is more superior in graphics. The topic of graphics is mostly an over inflated fanboy argument. How about instead of bashing very slightly worse graphics, you actually just play the game for fun. What ever happened to that?

Do these people have magnifying glasses out when they play so they have something to bash another system about?
Old 05-23-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 307 Posts

Yup, graphics are unimportant, except when people are talking about the Wii.
Old 05-23-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Proposing a new thread - Has Nintendo Officially Won this Generation?

Maybe it would be less controversial .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.