Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

I like pie.
Old 05-22-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think pulling PS2 backwards support (even the less-compatible software emulation) was shortsighted. As the price goes down you'll start hitting people that care about it more and more. If they're smart they would put it back in IMO.
Old 05-22-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If dollar for dollar PS3 is a better value explain to me why its constantly in last place month after month? Why are developers that were previously Sony only suddenly making games for Xbox? Why is the PS3 constantly getting games 'late'? Why is it only Tomb Raider on PS3 can outsell the 360 version while every other game does 1.5:1 or better? I think people just need to face the facts that the PS3 will be dead last this generation and nothing short of a miracle will change that. They stuck Blu-ray in their console and now they get to deal with the consequences.
You're putting far too much faith in the accuracy of consumer perception and underestimating the quality of Microsoft's marketing department and strategic plan. Sony is losing because Microsoft beat them to the gate, solidified a market presence and presented a highly-refined and polished online portal. Game developers had to respect the ubiquity of the 360... especially in the early life of the PS3. They clearly had no option other than expanding their potential market. This has nothing to do with the value or quality of the Playstation platform. I will always support the PS3 over the XBox; they initially won my support because of Blu-ray. I wouldn't have purchased the PS3 near launch if I didn't see the value the system offered. If Blu doesn't matter to you, then you clearly wouldn't think the PS3 would be the superior value. This thread could be summed up with what Raul said a few posts ago. It's all about perception. Perception shaped by a strong Microsoft marketing campaign and whether or not Blu mattered to you... among many other factors.
Old 05-22-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I like pie.
I prefer cake, really.
Old 05-22-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I prefer cake, really.
You're an idiot. By the time you spend all that money on frosting, candy decorations, and candles you could have a whole pie! Not to mention not only does the pie fill you up, you can also use it a source of nutrition if you fill it with something like blu-berries.
Old 05-22-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree about the controller part, especially considering the Xbox original duke fitted my hands almost perfectly. Has any other console had an almost unchanged (in shape) controller for 3 iterations of a system? I know that that batarang controller that Sony showed looked pretty daft but now they have the 360 controller if they want a traditional controller to copy, or the Wiimote/nunchuck if they want to do something a bit more out there.
Old 05-22-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're an idiot. By the time you spend all that money on frosting, candy decorations, and candles you could have a whole pie! Not to mention not only does the pie fill you up, you can also use it a source of nutrition if you fill it with something like blu-berries.
Carrot cake? One slice of carrot cake weights two pounds. It sits like a boat anchor for days and contains carrots, which are like pure vitamins, I'm told. And cream cheese frosting!

And while something like an apple pie might be cheap, try making a raspberry pie from fresh ingredients. That's a helluva pricey pie. Nevermind a real Maine blueberry pie (thats like a billion wild blueberries, not those bitter hormonal monstrosities). Once you fill it with any kind of berry (which, I mean are clearly the best kind of pies), you're breaking the bank.
Old 05-22-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Kelkee
The biggest problem Sony has this generation is the PS2.

Why are they still making the PS2?

MS no longer makes the XBOX and Ninty no longer makes the GC. Sony is competing with noone but themselves as long as they continue to offer the PS2 for $99.00.
Because they would rather bleed money than hemorrhage it?
Old 05-22-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,095 Likes on 867 Posts

Also, the pie isn't a lie.

See I have a tough time with all those notes on Cake since by the time the pie is truly exceptional (going off Catina Laredo standards for Apple pie), it needs prepped, baked, sliced, put on a skillet plate, covered in a butter rum sauce (causing it to cook on the skillet plate) and topped with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream. So the cost of the components are about the same, but at least the skillet plate is directly rechargeable in the oven.

Of course, you could have standard old pie, but don't expect it to be a particularly memorable experience.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The biggest problem Sony has this generation is the PS2.

Why are they still making the PS2?
Why? Because in an attempt to save money Sony pulled the BC chips from the PS3.
Old 05-22-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Why? Because in an attempt to save money Sony pulled the BC chips from the PS3.
How much is it costing them to manufacture, promote, and distribute a PS2 verses put the tech into the PS3?
Old 05-22-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 961 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
How did that go the last time they tried that?
We wouldn't know. They haven't tried anything different for the consumer to base an informed decision on.

Oh and pie totally pwns cake. Cake is light, fluffy and has no substance (swipe) like the Wii. Why do you think people always serve ice cream with cake? Own it's own, cake is nothing. Pair it up with something like ice cream and you have have a decent combo (swipe) like a PS3 or 360*.

*preemptive note ... just going for a joke, don't anyone get your panties in a wad.
Old 05-22-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,095 Likes on 867 Posts

I don't think I've seen a PS2 promotion in a while, so I'm guessing very little. Plus the system is so mass produced (136m served) that I'm guessing it costs them next to nothing.

In otherwords, I think they're making a profit off the PS2. Unlike the PS3.
Old 05-22-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 176 Posts

I own all the consoles and the order I play them is this:

1 360
2 Wii
3 PS3

If it wasn't for Blu-Ray, I would have gotten rid of my PS3 a long time ago. Like people have alway posted, XBox Live is the only way to go. Nintendo and Sony to come up with something close to it or the may be on the outside looking in next time around.

As far as the question that's in the title, yes, the PS3 will finish 3rd in this generation.
Old 05-22-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Oh and pie totally pwns cake. Cake is light, fluffy and has no substance (swipe) like the Wii. Why do you think people always serve ice cream with cake? Own it's own, cake is nothing. Pair it up with something like ice cream and you have have a decent combo (swipe) like a PS3 or 360*.

*preemptive note ... just going for a joke, don't anyone get your panties in a wad.
Bah. Clearly you've never had a legit carrot cake. I refuse to accept the "cake is light" argument just because people automatically think of Duncan Hines.
Old 05-22-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bah. Clearly you've never had a legit carrot cake. I refuse to accept the "cake is light" argument just because people automatically think of Duncan Hines.
But therein lies the problem with your argument. If I wanted something healthy I wouldn't be eating cake. Carrots are an abomination from Satan.
Old 05-22-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but when people are at the store looking at cake, are they going to inherently know the advantages carrot cake has over the other versions? You need to take price and the consumer's knowledge of the different flavors into account. Typically they're going to go with the most economical option, even if they don't read the side of the box to see they need to add their own eggs and water to the mix.

Not everyone is as informed on this topic as we are.
Old 05-22-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First, we have an Americanized view of this. Because we are in America, of course. In Japan (Asia?) and in Europe (besides England) is not that clear that the PS3 is in last place. Yes, in those places the PS3 outsells the Xbox in hardware and software almost every month.

So, I ask, is our Americanized perception that the PS3 lost this generation, that is in third place, shared by the world?

And yeah, I know that the USA is the biggest (most important?) market in the world. So I'm not minimizing our view.
Old 05-22-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not everyone is as informed on this topic as we are.
You guys are so out of date on the topic of baked goods its not even funny.

EVERYONE knows the latest trend is cupcakes. Cupcakes rule!
Old 05-22-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're a ridiculous fan-boy. Cupcakes had their day, but right now it's just a fad.

Spoiler:
Old 05-22-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are so out of date on the topic of baked goods its not even funny.

EVERYONE knows the latest trend is cupcakes. Cupcakes rule!

Are you talking about $4 dollar cupcakes? Then yeah!
Old 05-22-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 876 Posts

Goddammit I am sick of all this cake bashing! Where are the mods when you need them? Please lock this thread and hand out some suspensions!
Old 05-22-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

pie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cake
Old 05-22-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You're a ridiculous fan-boy. Cupcakes had their day, but right now it's just a fad.

Spoiler:
I see your Mario (child's play) and raise you a Pac-Man.
Old 05-22-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I see your Mario (child's play) and raise you a Pac-Man.
No power up pellets? FAIL!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.